PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise attends Bert Fields' lecture at Harvard Law

ThisFenceHurts
9th October 2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.movieline.com/2009/10/did-tom-cruise-backlash-unofficially-end-monday-at-harvard-law.php

Tom Cruise shows up at Harvard Law class where Bert Fields was guest lecturing. Perhaps he was scouting the group for a replacement for when Bert retires?

Lohan2008
10th October 2009, 12:19 AM
Bertram Fields (March 31, 1929) is a Harvard-trained American lawyer famous for his work in the field of entertainment law; he has represented many of the leading studios, as well as individual celebrities including The Beatles, Warren Beatty, James Cameron, Mike Nichols, Joel Silver, Tom Cruise, Dustin Hoffman, and John Travolta.

In June 2008, Dr. Drew Pinsky, in an interview for Playboy, mentioned his belief that for Tom Cruise to be "drawn into a cultish kind of environment like Scientology," he was likely to have emotional problems. He said "To me, thatís a function of a very deep emptiness and suggests serious neglect in childhood ó maybe some abuse, but mostly neglect."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertram_Fields

fnx3
10th October 2009, 06:34 AM
Not quite sure how that quote from Pinsky got in that reply but I am glad it did - very interesting - thanks for including that :)

KnightVision
10th October 2009, 11:48 AM
-snip-

In June 2008, Dr. Drew Pinsky, in an interview for Playboy, mentioned his belief that for Tom Cruise to be "drawn into a cultish kind of environment like Scientology," he was likely to have emotional problems. He said "To me, thatís a function of a very deep emptiness and suggests serious neglect in childhood ó maybe some abuse, but mostly neglect."

The truth. The whole truth. And nothing but the truth.

uniquemand
10th October 2009, 04:22 PM
I was neither neglected nor abused in my childhood, and yet I was drawn to Scientology. I think Drew Pinsky, like other talking heads, is mostly full of shit when he speculates about others without actually knowing the facts.

Kind of like people who diagnose Hubbard or DM without personally knowing them or the actually criteria of the various mental illnesses ascribed to them.

Tom Cruise is a high-functioning person who the Church of Scientology uses for PR. To the extent that he is knowledgable about the abuses of people in the religion, and does nothing, he is certainly despicable, but to assess him as mentally ill is irresponsible.

I'd be interested to know WHY Tom was there, but I'm not at all interested in the pontifications from people who DON'T know.

Type4_PTS
10th October 2009, 04:29 PM
I think Drew Pinsky, like other talking heads, is mostly full of shit when he speculates about others without actually knowing the facts.

I agree with this about Pinsky being mostly full of shit........on this point anyways. I never met Pinsky, but that is my official diagnosis. I'm uncertain though as to whether or not it is a chronic condition. :D

chipgallo
10th October 2009, 04:53 PM
Who is paying Pinsky?? Is it the psychiatrists or the bankers or the drug cartel?? :coolwink:

Zinjifar
10th October 2009, 09:10 PM
MTV

Zinj

Lohan2008
10th October 2009, 11:59 PM
In June 2008, Dr. Drew Pinsky, " maybe some abuse, but mostly neglect."

ummmm, Uniquemaid.... the Pinsky quote about TC is in the Wikipedia page about Bertram Fields. That is why the link is there.

I thought it was ironic finding both lots of info on the same web-page.

KnightVision
11th October 2009, 10:27 AM
For the record let's wake up why don't we?

Nobody is attracted to Scientology unless they have, in their own estimation, 'MENTAL ILLNESS'.

THAT is exactly what the subject SAYS it addresses.

THAT is what 'auditing' SAYS it addresses.

Why the fuck people get involved with a system that promotes itself as helping to overcome mental problems.... and thereafter cry like a baby when they are described as one who had to have mental problems to be drawn into it in the first place... is testimony to just how much bullshit is slung in with any real 'help' that Sci offers.

WTF?

I was neither neglected nor abused in my childhood, and yet I was drawn to Scientology. I think Drew Pinsky, like other talking heads, is mostly full of shit when he speculates about others without actually knowing the facts.

Kind of like people who diagnose Hubbard or DM without personally knowing them or the actually criteria of the various mental illnesses ascribed to them.

Tom Cruise is a high-functioning person who the Church of Scientology uses for PR. To the extent that he is knowledgable about the abuses of people in the religion, and does nothing, he is certainly despicable, but to assess him as mentally ill is irresponsible.

I'd be interested to know WHY Tom was there, but I'm not at all interested in the pontifications from people who DON'T know.

michaelangelo
11th October 2009, 11:51 AM

Nobody is attracted to Scientology unless they have, in their own estimation, 'MENTAL ILLNESS'.

Why the fuck people get involved with a system that promotes itself as helping to overcome mental problems.... and thereafter cry like a baby when they are described as one who had to have mental problems to be drawn into it in the first place... is testimony to just how much bullshit is slung in with any real 'help' that Sci offers.

WTF?

When I got into Scientolgy it was promoted as a method of self improvement.
It didn't mean you were mentally ill. Maybe the mental illness came after studying some of Ron's stuff. Though there were some bits in Scio that were useful. But what really defines mental illness anyway?. You can have a mind problem just as you can have a physical problem. It dosn't mean you are nuts.

altruistichedonist
11th October 2009, 12:12 PM

WTF?

My God you're right:thumbsup: . I was batshit insane :duh: when I walked into the church of scientology. I called it stress from too much work and too much extra curricular activity:party: , but in reality, I was batshit insane. temporarily.

And for anyone else who thinks they were just normal people, living normal lives, when they got into Scientology. NOT. you too were batshit insane. temporarily:yes: .