PDA

View Full Version : Xenophon recovering from spinal fusion surgery

Patricia Curtis
28th December 2009, 02:08 AM
Xenophon back on track

AdelaideNow... Xenophon back on track (http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,,26521630-2682,00.html)

INDEPENDENT Senator Nick Xenophon is recovering in a Sydney hospital after four-hour spinal fusion surgery.

Senator Xenophon, 50, who cemented his popularity with media-savvy stunts, has not lost his sense of humour.

Despite the intense pain, he told of nurses remarking that another miracle had been performed after finding a spine in a politician.

"I now have a 10cm incision in my back, but I'd rather be knifed by a surgeon than by another pollie," he said.

Senator Xenophon suffered the chronic injury during a 2006 election fundraiser while attempting a Zorba the Greek dance. Since then, he has had regular visits to physiotherapists, chiropractors and acupuncturists until the only option to relieve the searing pain was to fuse the L5-S1 vertebrae.

After the surgery and two days in intensive care, the operation appears to have been a success.

Already he is walking short distances, but must endure daily physiotherapy and hydrotherapy and wear a back brace for the next six weeks. He cannot travel yet, but expects to be back in Adelaide in the next fortnight.

The workaholic ex-lawyer is becoming a regular in the operating theatre, having undergone life-saving heart surgery in 2002 and heart scares a few years later.

"I'm done with surgery . . . I think I've had my quota," he said.

"I'm starting to be a little like the bionic man.

"I've got titanium wiring in my chest . . . and I've got nuts and screws and plates in my back - so I'm worried about metal detectors at airports."

He mocks suggestions the latest health issue will slow his resolve which recently included opposing the Federal Government's emissions trading scheme.

"The good news is this has kept me quiet for the past month," he said.

"The bad news is, now that I've had the surgery, I'll be an even bigger pain in the backside in Canberra."

Comments are open!

dontscamme
28th December 2009, 02:43 AM
"The bad news is, now that I've had the surgery, I'll be an even bigger pain in the backside in Canberra."

And hopefully a pain in the backside of the CoS as well. :yes:

Wisened One
28th December 2009, 03:05 AM
Hope he continues a smooth and quick recovery! And :lol: about the nurses raving about actually finding a spine in a politician. :giggle: :p

Carmel
28th December 2009, 03:46 AM
Yep, he's a workaholic alright! He booked this surgery in just before xmas so his only time out of action would be over the holidays.

Here's to a full and fast recovery, Nic! :thumbsup:

I told you I was trouble
28th December 2009, 04:27 AM
With that spine of steel the cofs will be like butter in your hands.

Best wishes Nick ...

:heartflower::heartflower::heartflower:

RogerB
28th December 2009, 01:02 PM
That man is a lot of fun!

I love his sense of humour (correctly spelled for the Ozzies).

R

pollywannacracker
28th December 2009, 01:34 PM
My best wishes for Senator Xenophan's speedy recovery.

He sounds like a riot!!!!!

-PWC

Patricia Curtis
28th December 2009, 06:04 PM
I would sure love to be the one providing a little TLC as he recuperates. :biglove: rrrraaawr, Senator Nic!

(Come on, ladies. You know you're all thinking it.)

tessa
28th December 2009, 06:52 PM
NICK SIDERENIOS KAI XRONIA SOU POLLA:) P.S Is nothing bad guys ,is what you 'll say to him in greek and of course he'll know.