PDA

View Full Version : Scientologists in Haiti - Gawker

BC1
2nd February 2010, 06:45 PM
Finally, a review of the VM's trip to Haiti from a non-Scio.

http://gawker.com/5462117/scientologists-in-haiti-a-firsthand-account

AnonKat
2nd February 2010, 06:53 PM
Finally, a review of the VM's trip to Haiti from a non-Scio.

http://gawker.com/5462117/scientologists-in-haiti-a-firsthand-account

We've spoken to someone who traveled to Haiti on a Scientology plane — and witnessed firsthand the ineptitude, quackery and irresponsibility of the church's minions in a disaster zone. Here's his account.

I arrived at JFK last week, ready to go.

I knew we were traveling with doctors and EMTs, but I didn't expect to see 50 scientologists, in their yellow shirts with Volunteer Minister on them. They were completely unprepared for going to a third world country, let alone a disaster zone. One girl was in designer cowboy boots. I asked her if she'd brought any sturdier footwear.

"Oh no, these'll be fine."

I asked another guy what he'd packed and he said he hadn't bothered to bring soap or toilet paper or food, but that he'd just "buy whatever I need at Port-au-Prince airport." I couldn't break it to him.

They had no place to stay, and no supplies — their idea was to use the ton of money they had to buy food to distribute when they got there. But there was no food and no water. That was the point.

By the time we arrived in Haiti, after a stopover in Miami, we had missed three landing slots at the airport. Aid agencies — genuine aid agencies — from other countries were being turned away, refused permission to land. But we still got a slot straight away. The guy who ran our charter seemed to think that the Scientologists had some real influence with the US Government, who were assigning the slots.

The doctors and EMTs in our party headed straight downtown to start working. The Scientologists had nowhere to go, and nowhere to put up the big yellow tent they'd brought for touch healing people in. They went to the UN, and managed to get on to their list of approved NGOs somehow. That meant they could set up in the UN grounds.

But they had no-one who spoke Creole, and they brought the weirdness of touch healing into a very superstitious society. They'd leave the tent and come into the general hospital downtown, and try healing people. One of the doctors and one of the nurses told me that the wounded started coming to them to tell them they didn't want to be treated by the people in the yellow shirts.

One nurse told me that the Scientologists actually caused harm — they gave food to people who were scheduled to go into surgery. That then led to complications in the operating theater.

On the way back, the plane stopped in Miami and did not go on to New York, stranding all the doctors and EMTs and journalists who expected to get back. After much fighting, the Scientologist representative agreed to fly any of the EMTs that "absolutely couldn't afford the ticket" on Jet Blue from Fort Lauderdale. I heard there were complications but had bought my own ticket because I was fed up with their weirdness.

Iknowtoomuch
2nd February 2010, 09:16 PM
Just being there is good enough PR....LMFAO.

TalleyWhacker
2nd February 2010, 09:30 PM
We've spoken to someone who traveled to Haiti on a Scientology plane — and witnessed firsthand the ineptitude, quackery and irresponsibility of the church's minions in a disaster zone. Here's his account.

I arrived at JFK last week, ready to go.

I knew we were traveling with doctors and EMTs, but I didn't expect to see 50 scientologists, in their yellow shirts with Volunteer Minister on them. They were completely unprepared for going to a third world country, let alone a disaster zone. One girl was in designer cowboy boots. I asked her if she'd brought any sturdier footwear.

"Oh no, these'll be fine."

I asked another guy what he'd packed and he said he hadn't bothered to bring soap or toilet paper or food, but that he'd just "buy whatever I need at Port-au-Prince airport." I couldn't break it to him.

They had no place to stay, and no supplies — their idea was to use the ton of money they had to buy food to distribute when they got there. But there was no food and no water. That was the point.

By the time we arrived in Haiti, after a stopover in Miami, we had missed three landing slots at the airport. Aid agencies — genuine aid agencies — from other countries were being turned away, refused permission to land. But we still got a slot straight away. The guy who ran our charter seemed to think that the Scientologists had some real influence with the US Government, who were assigning the slots.

The doctors and EMTs in our party headed straight downtown to start working. The Scientologists had nowhere to go, and nowhere to put up the big yellow tent they'd brought for touch healing people in. They went to the UN, and managed to get on to their list of approved NGOs somehow. That meant they could set up in the UN grounds.

But they had no-one who spoke Creole, and they brought the weirdness of touch healing into a very superstitious society. They'd leave the tent and come into the general hospital downtown, and try healing people. One of the doctors and one of the nurses told me that the wounded started coming to them to tell them they didn't want to be treated by the people in the yellow shirts.

One nurse told me that the Scientologists actually caused harm — they gave food to people who were scheduled to go into surgery. That then led to complications in the operating theater.

On the way back, the plane stopped in Miami and did not go on to New York, stranding all the doctors and EMTs and journalists who expected to get back. After much fighting, the Scientologist representative agreed to fly any of the EMTs that "absolutely couldn't afford the ticket" on Jet Blue from Fort Lauderdale. I heard there were complications but had bought my own ticket because I was fed up with their weirdness.

Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Sounds entirely accurate, right down to the people getting spooked to go see them.
But you just wait til the next event. Heroes, every one of them.
I can hear the speeches:
"I worked all day long, pulling corpes from the rubble. One man seemed to have a pulse and I ran the assist for an unconsicious person on him and all of a sudden, he sat up straight, his eyes got real big and he yelled out with enthusiasm.
Fact is, his wins were so huge that he said he wanted to be a Scientologist next lifetime. At least his head was bobbing up and down when I told him about Scientology.
The whole experience was just so OT!"

BC1
3rd February 2010, 03:09 AM
This article is even worse, they are trying to open and orphanage and already have one kid!! I'm all for good people caring for children, but would prefer not to have COS involved.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7012693.ece

It has Roman Catholics and voodoo spiritualists, Protestants, Rastafarians, Jews and Baha’is. Now Haiti, a nation brimming with piety, looks set to be endowed with another belief system: the Scientologists say that they are here to stay.

With an operation called The Volunteer Ministry Disaster Relief for Haiti the Scientologists plan to establish a permanent base in the country. Pat Harney, a spokesperson for the operation, said: “I have no doubt that in some form or other there will be a church of Scientology here.” Scientologists were already working to found an orphanage, she added.

An advance party arrived nearly two weeks ago but the big moment occurred when the actor John Travolta flew his Boeing 707 from Florida to Port-au-Prince carrying six tonnes of military rations, medical equipment, baby food and nappies as well as doctors and volunteer ministers.

As well as providing more than 100 doctors and basic aid, Scientologists volunteered to work in Haiti’s remaining hospitals. Elena Chiancianesi, 39, arrived from Florida to help in the general hospital. “I don’t have medical training,” she said. “But I’m a mother and whenever children are involved it becomes my problem.”
Related Links

* Haiti 'child-traffickers' could face US trials

* Haiti and the reporters without boundaries

* US to resume mercy flights for injured Haitians

With fellow Scientologists — all in yellow T-shirts bearing the slogan “Something CAN be done about it” — she helped to bring medical supplies out of damaged buildings and distribute food and water.

Ms Harney said that the Scientologists were able to offer their own healing method in the hospital and in the clinic established by the University of Miami. “A person can be hurting and medical assistance does not work,” she said. “We help people to locate themselves.”

The method, known as “assist” might involve touching parts of the body or asking a patient to stare at a wall. “It’s a special Scientology technique developed by Mr Hubbard,” said Ms Harney, referring to the science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, who founded the church in 1954.

Reports suggest that many injured Haitians have been grateful but bemused: an incomprehension that the Scientologists have attributed occasionally to the trauma that they are suffering.

A spokeswoman for International Medical Corps, the main charity at the general hospital, said: “A small group of them showed up last week and wanted to help at a time when we needed every available hand. My understanding is they are missionaries, not medical personnel.”

Other medical staff praised the Scientologists for arriving with equipment, food and drinking water for the hospitals, apparently without seeking to proselytise in return. Alan Greenfield, a radiologist from New York who is working in Port-au-Prince, said that the Scientologists had flown in an X-ray machine and had been “fabulous with logistics”.

The Church of Scientology was convicted of fraud in France. It denies accusations in Germany, Russia and Greece of tricking participants into making donations. Ms Harney said that the orphanage had taken in its first child and that the Scientologists expected to look after about 30 children.

Sci-fi and aliens

• Scientology, founded in 1954, describes itself as a religion that seeks spiritual enlightenment. It says that it has more than 12 million members in more than 133 countries

• Full knowledge of the holy books is reserved for those who have completed a series of courses, at a cost estimated to be £190,000

• According to popular culture it teaches that aliens, known as Thetans, are clinging to humans Scientologists believe that they can relieve physical suffering because they have harnessed the power of the human spirit

• Scientology teams claim to have visited 126 disaster sites

• Training techniques include reading extracts from Lewis Carroll’s Alice In Wonderland or staring ahead

• L. Ron Hubbard, the founder, allegedly said in 1948: “If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion.” Scientologists claim that the quotation is apocryphal

Free to shine
3rd February 2010, 03:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHcrAm8-gr8

freethinker
3rd February 2010, 03:53 AM
I received this in the mail today.

Lohan2008
3rd February 2010, 05:04 AM
Bridge Publications, the publisher of Scientology books, is urging Scientologists to buy Scientology books to "send to Haiti"!

But get this: Bridge Publications is charging full price for these donated books, meaning Bridge Publications is making full profit on all the books.

Scientologists are not being urged to pay for food or water or medicine or shelter for Haiti. No, they are being urged to pay for Scientology books to Haiti!

hartley
3rd February 2010, 04:54 PM
If anyone wonders why the stories from Haiti are going to be glowing theta from now on, Pat Harney from Flag has arrived! The Times journalist was her first victim (she got him to use scientology.org as a reliable source) next up was MSNBC. She is seen briefly at the end:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/35214415#35214415

Sharone Stainforth
3rd February 2010, 09:32 PM
It looks to me that John Travolta IS the new Poster boy for Scientology, Tom Cruise has fallen from grace, temporarily.

What better plug for the failing orgs than major disaster relief.The scvientologists are pulling out all the stops, only scientologists can stop a little girl frowning when in pain, it's true I've seen it on film.No one else in that devastating chaos could have done that, only a scientologist and their touch assist.

One young man cut his finger and now will have to have aids treatment for the next six months. Asked "was it worth it?" A smiling "Yes" in reply, One would certainly hope so, because if he gets sick he will be PTS and then we're going to have to find that SP, oh my, you pulled her in, it's Pat Harney.

Pat is really good at organizing, I think thats because she works for the Organization of Scientology. The scientologists are going to start an orphanage founded on the "tech" of childcare by L. Ron Hubbard, this should be very interesting. LRH loved children, he was a great humaniterian, don't you know. I can only hope the scientologists don't use this as an example;

L. Ron Hubbards' Scientology childcare at it's finest

"He put this 4½ year old little boy - Derek Greene - into the chain locker for two days and two nights. It's a closed metal container, it's wet, it's full of water and seaweed, it smells bad. But Derek was sitting up, on the chain, in this place, on his own, in the dark, for two days and two nights. He was not allowed to go to the potty. I mean he had to go in the chain locker on his own, soil himself. He was given food. And I never went near it, the chain locker while he was in there, but people heard him crying. That is sheer, total brutality. That is child abuse."

Or this;

Hubbard had ordered a little girl who was a deafmute down into the chain locker sometime in 1968. Hubbard was going to cure her deaf-ness by shoving her down there! This came to my attention after she'd been there for about a week because the Master at Arms at the time, a beautiful girl, came to me and said, "John, I've got to have you come and see what's going on."

Or this;

I was twelve years old and witnessed children younger than myself being thrown into the chain locker (a room for storing the anchor while at sea) for days on end until they persuaded the ethics officer that they were not enemies. Physical abuse of children was rife.

Or the rest of this;

http://members.chello.nl/mgormez/childabuse/lock-ups.html

Meanwhile, David Miscavidge a staunch supporter of LRH technology and current leader of the "church" is also a great humaniterian, beats his staff physically and did this to his own neice;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZd953P-P7Q

John Travolta raising the stats in Scientology, you just can't beat Public Relations

FoTi
4th February 2010, 07:30 PM
A Scientology orphanage in Haiti. The first Scientology orphanage ever.

Hmmm.... Must be the Desperate Midget's latest brainstorm in how to get ahold of a bunch of little kids, with no families to interfere with his plans to raise them to be future Sea Org staff. Just think...they won't know anythng besides Scientology.....there won't be anything else to clutter up their little minds to keep him from dictating their future and their actions. He must be totally delighted this opportunity came his way.

Those poor kids.

Zinjifar
4th February 2010, 07:37 PM
Give us your tired your orphaned your dregs of the earth and we will convert that raw meat into supermen who serve the movement.

Zinj

AnonKat
4th February 2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap5ANJ42bso

AnonKat
11th February 2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=963Xwsl1l_0

AnonKat
11th February 2010, 06:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NezQkU9AYc