PDA

View Full Version : Baby for Travoltas?

MichelleAsWell
18th May 2010, 08:09 PM
This seems both sad and odd. I know it can be an urge when you lose a child, but don't grief counselors usually tell you to wait before making these kinds of decisions when you are grieving...?

http://www.musicrooms.net/showbiz/7205-John-Travolta-And-Wife-Trying-For-Another-Baby.html

:confused2:

Kathy (ImOut)
18th May 2010, 08:19 PM
Trying to get pregnant at 47 is a bit too old in my opinion. Kelly will have to take fertility drugs which can cause other problems.

And if they adopt, in the next year, that means that Kelly will be 68 when the kid is 20. I don't think that's fair to the kid.

My parents were older, for the time period, I was born. My dad was nearly 38 when I was born. Supposedly people live longer and all that, but that doesn't mean you can keep up with an infant in your late 40s or early 50s. At least I can't.

Dulloldfart
18th May 2010, 08:23 PM
Well, if they're looking for surrogate fathers for the conception part of the cycle. . . .

Paul

Mark A. Baker
18th May 2010, 08:48 PM
Trying to get pregnant at 47 is a bit too old in my opinion. Kelly will have to take fertility drugs which can cause other problems.

And if they adopt, in the next year, that means that Kelly will be 68 when the kid is 20. I don't think that's fair to the kid.

My parents were older, for the time period, I was born. My dad was nearly 38 when I was born. Supposedly people live longer and all that, but that doesn't mean you can keep up with an infant in your late 40s or early 50s. At least I can't.

Very true and generally speaking an excellent case in point. The Travolta's are fortunate enough to have sufficient private resources to enable them to provide for their children's welfare, so this is not as great an issue for them.

Mark A. Baker

Kathy (ImOut)
18th May 2010, 08:54 PM
Very true and generally speaking an excellent case in point. The Travolta's are fortunate enough to have sufficient private resources to enable them to provide for their children's welfare, so this is not as great an issue for them.

Mark A. Baker

But money &/or nannies is no substitute for parental love and raising. Just my opinion.

I loved my nanny for the time that I had her. But it would have been better, for me, if my mother had been giving me that love and attention.

Mark A. Baker
18th May 2010, 09:14 PM
But money &/or nannies is no substitute for parental love and raising. Just my opinion.

I loved my nanny for the time that I had her. But it would have been better, for me, if my mother had been giving me that love and attention.

Having a nanny doesn't require a lessening of love & attention. Ideally nannies & tutors work as assistants to parents and under their direct supervision. Taking the kids to the park along with a set of younger legs to do any serious running that needs doing is a very reasonable option for well-off older parents. You see similar things all the time at large family gatherings in the public parks.

It's only in the first ten years that the difference in energy levels puts a great strain on a parent. :yes: After that its the mental energy discharges that become problematic. :omg: If anything, more mature persons seem better suited to dealing with the mental conflicts associated with strong willed chilluns.

Just because some people use nannies & tutors as substitutes for parental responsibility does not require that it be so. Given the apparent reason & responsibility with which the Travolta's have carried out their lives, I suspect they will likely do just fine.

Mark A. Baker

Lohan2008
19th May 2010, 04:19 AM
JT is looking very stressed,,, who else recons he has a "holding it in" expression ?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2010/05/john-travolta-kelly-preston-expecting-baby/1

Kutta
19th May 2010, 04:33 AM
I think a new life, a new baby is a cause for celebration. I wish them both well. I'm sure a new child will bring them much joy and healing. But let's hope they don't raise this child in scientology.

DOF, I don't think your generous offer will be required, but there may be others who would welcome your input/output ...... ??

Arthur Dent
19th May 2010, 04:57 AM
I didn't know them personally but observed JT with Jett on occasion and he adored that kid as well as his daughter.

I've had nannies for my kids and our family is very, very close. My kids are grown and we are still close with a nanny from many years ago. Parents who have nannies love their kids. Hopefully, the nannies do too!

Being wealthy is not a prerequisite for having a nanny.
Both parents having to work is enough of a factor.

On the other hand, I've known people who basically supplant themselves with the help and there is no real parenting. Obviously this isn't good for the kids.

And I understand the sea org also provides this service as well as evidenced by the latest broadcast.:duh:

In any case, I hope they're not just trying to give Jett another body as would be the scientology think. But again, that's none of my business. I just hope it's not a clam!

If they want another child I wish them the very best!
Mazel tov!

Type4_PTS
19th May 2010, 05:18 AM
According to this article that Lohan linked to above, the Travoltas are not hoping that Kelly gets pregnant but rather it is already a done deal. Other reports on the internet as well agree with this report, including one that she is already 3 months pregnant!

http://socialmediaseo.net/2010/05/18/john-travolta-kelly-preston-three-months-pregnant-expecting-a-baby-in/

rebned
19th May 2010, 07:37 AM
30 years ago after losing a child I got pregnant to "give them a new body" as promised when they were very ill. 30 years later it seems crazy to me and I can understand why you would think that but if you haven't been there you can't judge. I treated my "reincarnated" child as that for a year and then left that behind and treated them as the new person they were.

Anyway, I wish the Travolta's all the best. What a tough run they have had!!

I didn't know them personally but observed JT with Jett on occasion and he adored that kid as well as his daughter.

I've had nannies for my kids and our family is very, very close. My kids are grown and we are still close with a nanny from many years ago. Parents who have nannies love their kids. Hopefully, the nannies do too!

Being wealthy is not a prerequisite for having a nanny.
Both parents having to work is enough of a factor.

On the other hand, I've known people who basically supplant themselves with the help and there is no real parenting. Obviously this isn't good for the kids.

And I understand the sea org also provides this service as well as evidenced by the latest broadcast.:duh:

In any case, I hope they're not just trying to give Jett another body as would be the scientology think. But again, that's none of my business. I just hope it's not a clam!

If they want another child I wish them the very best!
Mazel tov!

Kathy (ImOut)
20th May 2010, 03:45 AM
Hot off the presses:
After the tragic loss of their son Jett last year, John Travolta, and his wife Kelly Preston have confirmed some wonderful news: They're expecting a baby.

CBS News correspondent Bill Whitaker reported Wednesday the couple confirmed the news on Preston's website, saying, "It's impossible to keep a secret ...Especially one as wonderful as this."

Preston, 47, is now three months pregnant. Travolta is 56.

Winston Smith
20th May 2010, 12:35 PM
Wow yes, how unfair to the baby. I guess one could say they can "afford" it though. I am 58 and could not in my wildest craziness contemplate starting over with a baby. That stuff is rightly for the young...I feel so sad for that child.

I joke and tease and flirt here in cyberspace, but IRL I would never have the gall to actually DO the stuff I might write here. That is the curse I suppose of getting older: you still remember vividly cavorting around with chicks, but no longer would you actually do it. And the eyes still give you candy and you want it, but in reality it is all foolishness. It just goes into the "I'm not dead yet" category. :D

Purple Rain
20th May 2010, 01:55 PM
I am just really happy for them. They've had many years of heartbreak and they seem like nice people. I really hope everything goes well for them and this is the beginning of a wonderful new life for them all.

Rene Descartes
20th May 2010, 02:41 PM
I am very happy for the both of them.

As a matter of fact I think tonight I will hug both my sons in honor of JT and a wish of success for the whole family through to the delivery and beyond.

Rd00

Winston Smith
20th May 2010, 02:52 PM
I totally understand their heartbreak. There is nothing more devastating than the death of your child. The hardest thing I ever have had to do was attending the funeral of HM2 Xin Qi, 25, killed in Afghanistan on 23 January 2010. In my post above I was not minimizing their tragedy...that sort of thing is far too real to me.

However, in my case if I were to have a child now, I would not see him/her grow up. Quite simply I will die before they are mature...into their mid twenties or thirties. Having had my own dad die when I was 11, I cannot put that burden on a baby.

Wisened One
20th May 2010, 04:52 PM
I am happy for them, yet I couldn't imagine being pregnant at her age (and I'm a few yrs younger than Kelly, almost 43!).

I wish them luck and happiness though, I do!

Kathy (ImOut)
20th May 2010, 05:02 PM
I totally understand their heartbreak. There is nothing more devastating than the death of your child. The hardest thing I ever have had to do was attending the funeral of HM2 Xin Qi, 25, killed in Afghanistan on 23 January 2010. In my post above I was not minimizing their tragedy...that sort of thing is far too real to me.

However, in my case if I were to have a child now, I would not see him/her grow up. Quite simply I will die before they are mature...into their mid twenties or thirties. Having had my own dad die when I was 11, I cannot put that burden on a baby.

Exactly. My mom died when I was 21. Even at that age and since, it's hard not to have a mom. (Even tho my mom wasn't nice.)

And there are higher risks of having a child with Down Syndrome and other complications.

Not a wise move, in my opinion.

Purple Rain
20th May 2010, 05:10 PM
That's understandable, Winston. Everyone makes different decisions. It's not just the death of the child, it's the death of your hopes and dreams from the first diagnosis, the impossible love with which you cling to them, the small joys, the big challenges.

It's such a long, hard road. And the care that such a child needs creates a bond that is almost like the umbilical cord again.

They've had years of heartache already, and they have decided that this will help them heal and bring them some joy.

The child will be very loved. There is nothing to be sad about. If they are more like grandparents that's not the end of the world. Families come in all shapes and sizes. Love is the most important thing.

Sassy
22nd May 2010, 05:51 AM
I'm 44, going on 45 with a 25 & 22 year old....I feel like I'm going to break out in hives when I think about not only raising a child from birth at my age, but being preggers with that child. Good for them, I guess???? :confused2:

Obviously they wanted another child; but who here believes that Kelly Preston is the bio mother, being 47 years old? I hope she is not, due to the health risks. Not that it matters-----either way I say good for them.

(I only point this out because many young women today think they can just wait for years & years & have a baby when they feel like it. Ain't so easy over age 35, read up on it. Having a child at age 47 is a miracle)

And anyone who has seen the photos of John Travolta with his son has to agree that the love between the two was just......JOY. Congrats to the family, and many blessings to each of you.

AnonyMary
22nd May 2010, 06:29 AM
30 years ago after losing a child I got pregnant to "give them a new body" as promised when they were very ill. 30 years later it seems crazy to me and I can understand why you would think that but if you haven't been there you can't judge. I treated my "reincarnated" child as that for a year and then left that behind and treated them as the new person they were. <snip>

Wow! So glad things worked out for the better.

Type4_PTS
26th May 2010, 08:17 PM
Travolta's may be expecting TWO babies. :yes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/26/john-travolta-kelly-prest_n_590084.html

EDIT: There are now reports that the Travolta's are absolutely denying they they're expecting twins. So disregard this report.

Kathy (ImOut)
26th May 2010, 10:53 PM
It's very common to have two or more babies with invitro. They commonly insert 3 or more embryos, because they don't all "take".

FoTi
26th May 2010, 11:42 PM
Where and how do they get the eggs?

byte301
27th May 2010, 01:02 AM
Well best of luck to them. I just have to say that I hope they get a new nanny. The last one seemed to come up absent at a very unfortunate time.

Zinjifar
27th May 2010, 01:07 AM

Can be from the mother; can be from a 'donor'. If from the mother, she's more or less her own 'surrogate'.

Zinj

thefiredragon
27th May 2010, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=rebned;419007]30 years ago after losing a child I got pregnant to "give them a new body" as promised when they were very ill. 30 years later it seems crazy to me and I can understand why you would think that but if you haven't been there you can't judge. I treated my "reincarnated" child as that for a year and then left that behind and treated them as the new person they were.

QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------
Jett will take a new baby's body? Wow! It's a cool plan!

Type4_PTS
27th May 2010, 06:54 PM
I would agree that it IS a cool plan except for the fact that it risks the mindfuck of growing up as a member of the CoS. He probably got enough of that the first time around. :whistling:

A better plan would be to wait until Jason Beghe gets someone pregnant.:yes:

thefiredragon
27th May 2010, 06:59 PM
A better plan would be to wait until Jason Beghe gets someone pregnant.:yes:

what Jason have to do with that?

Kathy (ImOut)
27th May 2010, 08:11 PM

As Zinj said, it can be from the mother or a donor.

However, getting them from the mother (or a donor) sounds painful. They go up thru the vagina and stick a needle thru the vaginal wall into the ovary. Plus, you have to take fertility drugs so you get more eggs. The drugs are pretty intense and can be dangerous.

(I checked into this years ago. I opted not to get pregnant by invitro.)

pollywannacracker
27th May 2010, 11:52 PM
As Zinj said, it can be from the mother or a donor.

However, getting them from the mother (or a donor) sounds painful. They go up thru the vagina and stick a needle thru the vaginal wall into the ovary. Plus, you have to take fertility drugs so you get more eggs. The drugs are pretty intense and can be dangerous.

(I checked into this years ago. I opted not to get pregnant by invitro.)

Another way is to harvest the eggs from the mother (or donor) via laparoscopy. This is done with a mild sedative, creating 2-3 very tiny incisions near the belly button, inflating the abdomen with some gas, and going in with a tiny camera and retrieiving eggs from an ovary.

As per my bioloby classes, the ova age as we do, so using an older mother's ova certainly does increase the risks of downs syndrome and other age related affects on the ova.

I wish them the best of luck with their new addition(s).

-PWC

Rmack
28th May 2010, 05:18 AM
I'm not going to read this whole thread, just tell me; did anyone grok the backstory here? They are no doubt trying to provide a new body for the 'thetan'.

So sad.

Type4_PTS
28th May 2010, 02:01 PM
what Jason have to do with that?

If Jason was the father instead of JT the kid would not grow up in a cult.