PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise's movie is doing bad...

AnonSunshine
25th June 2010, 03:06 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz...t-and-day.html

A Rough Start for 'Knight and Day'
by Mike Krumboltz June 23, 2010
Not so long ago, Tom Cruise was the biggest movie star on the planet. During the '80s and '90s, the guy could not miss. But then, one fateful day, the excitable star decided to jump on Oprah's couch. It's been a rough go ever since.

Many feel that the infamous moment, combined with a bizarre interview with Matt Lauer, caused his star power to tumble. His movies, which used to be sure money-makers, began to look a little risky. Does Cruise's newest film, "Knight and Day," put him back at the top of the box office? To quote our Magic 8 Ball, "outlook not so good."

According to the Los Angeles Times, the film, which opened on Wednesday, earned $3.8 million on its opening day. That may not sound too shabby for a Wednesday, but keep in mind that "Toy Story 3" took in $13 million during the same time period. Box Office Mojo lists the top Wednesday grosses of all time, and "Knight and Day" doesn't even come close to cracking the top 50, despite rising ticket prices. Ruh-roh.

This dubious beginning isn't a surprise to everyone. Over the past week, Web searches on the film have been tepid at best, despite a vigorous marketing campaign. Pre-release surveys revealed that audiences weren't excited about the movie. The L.A. Times speculates that the film will be lucky to gross even $25 million by Sunday. Compare that to the movie's budget: the LA Times estimates that production cost around $117 million. Marketing was "tens of millions more."

But it's not like this is "Gigli" we're talking about. The film has earned decent, if not glowing, reviews. Roger Ebert gives it three stars and Claudia Puig of USA Today writes that "Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz make a surprisingly charming couple." True, the New York Times called it "loud, seemingly interminable, and altogether incoherent," but, hey, you can't please everybody.

Too bad, because according to Deadline, the box-office performance of "Knight and Day" could have an effect on another Tom Cruise flick -- the proposed "Mission: Impossible 4." The blog writes, "Hollywood has been buzzing that the studio might kill 'MI4' if 'Knight' doesn't connect with audiences despite Cruise's action hero character."

Slash Film calls this "speculation-ville." Still, if the numbers don't pick up there is one sequel we're sure nobody will ever green-light: "Knight and Day 2."

Just An Observer
25th June 2010, 03:25 AM
It's probably a good movie and well produced, but I would enjoy it a lot more if I knew I wasn't putting money in Scientology's coffers by paying to see it, so I'll pass on it.

The Great Zorg
25th June 2010, 03:29 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz...t-and-day.html

A Rough Start for 'Knight and Day'
by Mike Krumboltz June 23, 2010
Not so long ago, Tom Cruise was the biggest movie star on the planet. During the '80s and '90s, the guy could not miss. But then, one fateful day, the excitable star decided to jump on Oprah's couch. It's been a rough go ever since.

Many feel that the infamous moment, combined with a bizarre interview with Matt Lauer, caused his star power to tumble. His movies, which used to be sure money-makers, began to look a little risky. Does Cruise's newest film, "Knight and Day," put him back at the top of the box office? To quote our Magic 8 Ball, "outlook not so good."

According to the Los Angeles Times, the film, which opened on Wednesday, earned $3.8 million on its opening day. That may not sound too shabby for a Wednesday, but keep in mind that "Toy Story 3" took in $13 million during the same time period. Box Office Mojo lists the top Wednesday grosses of all time, and "Knight and Day" doesn't even come close to cracking the top 50, despite rising ticket prices. Ruh-roh.

This dubious beginning isn't a surprise to everyone. Over the past week, Web searches on the film have been tepid at best, despite a vigorous marketing campaign. Pre-release surveys revealed that audiences weren't excited about the movie. The L.A. Times speculates that the film will be lucky to gross even $25 million by Sunday. Compare that to the movie's budget: the LA Times estimates that production cost around $117 million. Marketing was "tens of millions more."

But it's not like this is "Gigli" we're talking about. The film has earned decent, if not glowing, reviews. Roger Ebert gives it three stars and Claudia Puig of USA Today writes that "Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz make a surprisingly charming couple." True, the New York Times called it "loud, seemingly interminable, and altogether incoherent," but, hey, you can't please everybody.

Too bad, because according to Deadline, the box-office performance of "Knight and Day" could have an effect on another Tom Cruise flick -- the proposed "Mission: Impossible 4." The blog writes, "Hollywood has been buzzing that the studio might kill 'MI4' if 'Knight' doesn't connect with audiences despite Cruise's action hero character."

Slash Film calls this "speculation-ville." Still, if the numbers don't pick up there is one sequel we're sure nobody will ever green-light: "Knight and Day 2."

Cruise made another movie? What's it called? Who's in it? Ah, it doesn't matter anyways, I won't go and see it until El Weirdo publically renounces his brain washing. scientology is not going to ever get another penny from me. EVER. :no:

uniquemand
25th June 2010, 03:49 AM
duh. it's called Knight and Day. read the posts.

Cruise movies are usually pretty good. He did well with Diaz in "Vanilla Sky". I probably will wait for this one for a torrent, basically because I only go see movies in IMAX now, and only if they really demand the big screen.

I don't base my decisions concerning quality artwork on the belief system of the artists. I base it on their track record. Cruise's movies have generally been very worth seeing. This one just doesn't pique my interest, or hasn't yet. Then again, I haven't seen an ad for it yet.

GreyWolf
25th June 2010, 04:09 AM
I am not watchin' any more of his movies.

Miss Penguin
25th June 2010, 04:17 AM
I saw the movie, "Knight and Day". It was a good movie. Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz did a good job. I think Tom has his head up his as in regard to the cult, but he still makes good movies. It was funny, entertaining and action packed. Definitely way better than "Killers" with Ashton Kutcher.

The Great Zorg
25th June 2010, 04:58 AM

Duh!

uniquemand
25th June 2010, 05:02 AM
D'oh!

Lohan2008
25th June 2010, 05:03 AM
'Knight and Day': Too Much Nonsense For One Movie

http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2010/06/knight-and-day-too-much-nonsense-for-one-movie/58702/

Lohan2008
25th June 2010, 05:05 AM
. :duh:

Mystic
25th June 2010, 05:57 AM
Over the years I haven't minded that Cruised-out Tom was a clam when I viewed his pictures. However, one of his quite early movies, with super bigtime Paul Neuman, The Color of Money, was so poorly acted on his part I actually got up, walked out and went home.

Then next flick I saw him in was Top Gun which I almost walked out of.

After the Mission Impossible series I just quit watching anything this creep is in.

I did note in Eyes Wide Shut he did a pretty good job of acting a few times.

I do not now and have never seen this person as a good actor, he lacks heart and has no soul whatsoever. Just a facade. Like any "OT".

SchwimmelPuckel
25th June 2010, 06:46 AM
WUT!? - The Cruisemeister made a new movie? - What's it called?

:p

celtg
25th June 2010, 06:49 AM
Well since I'm too cheap to go to the movies, and I'm not a fan, if I want to see it I'll wait for the video.:whistling:

xseaorguk
25th June 2010, 07:06 AM
I boycott Tom Cruise and John Travolta films, for supporting a system that abuses its members and suppresses free speech.
I'm sure that the deal they have with Miscavige is a good one, but for certain we will hear less and less about $cientology from 'Celebrities' in the future, as they know they will not be so celebrated for doing so:yes:

MAX YOUR CREDIT
25th June 2010, 09:18 AM
I have free tickets to Knight and Day screening.... I passed. You can not pay me to see Tom Cruise in a movie.

SchwimmelPuckel
25th June 2010, 09:31 AM
You can pay me to see a Cruisemeister movie! - But I'll cheat and won't watch it anyway!

:yes:

Chess
25th June 2010, 12:49 PM
Tom who??

moarxenu
25th June 2010, 03:08 PM
From the great film critic Pauline Kael:

Tom Cruise will never face an icier dismissal than Kael's assertion that ''his knowing that a camera is on him produces nothing but fraudulence.''

Div6
26th June 2010, 05:54 AM
They got a puff piece review in the WaPo, trying to goose the weekend attendance...http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/movies/knight-and-day,1159891/critic-review.html

" While Cruise was born to play the part -- a modern-day MacGyver who, by his own admission, has been trained to dismantle a bomb in the dark "with nothing but a safety pin and some Junior Mints" -- it also seems just possible that the guy might be ever so slightly deranged. The actor's couch-jumping, Scientology-pumping past actually helps here, add a layer of unpredictability to a character who, in almost every other aspect, is a kind of Superman."

cough*blow-job*cough....

The two-day take is a little over 7 million: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=cruisediaz10.htm

If it doesn't pick up over the weekend, it could be his biggest bust ever...

I wonder how many SO will be bussed out to see it repeatedly this weekend?

DavidM
26th June 2010, 06:00 AM
he lacks heart and has no soul whatsoever.

I think this helped him in his convincing portrayal of a hitman/sociopath in Collateral

looker
26th June 2010, 07:41 AM
Over the years I haven't minded that Cruised-out Tom was a clam when I viewed his pictures. However, one of his quite early movies, with super bigtime Paul Neuman, The Color of Money, was so poorly acted on his part I actually got up, walked out and went home.

Then next flick I saw him in was Top Gun which I almost walked out of.

After the Mission Impossible series I just quit watching anything this creep is in.

I did note in Eyes Wide Shut he did a pretty good job of acting a few times.

I do not now and have never seen this person as a good actor, he lacks heart and has no soul whatsoever. Just a facade. Like any "OT".

So Mystic are ya sayin it started out bad and went down hill from there?

Mystic
26th June 2010, 08:05 AM
So Mystic are ya sayin it started out bad and went down hill from there?

In Eyes Wide Shut I thought he did a fair job, but he was showed up soooooo much by that gorgeous redhead. He actually cried at one part of the film and that was the best acting I have ever seen him pull off. The first 2 MIs weren't so bad, I like action films so ok. But the 3rd was so bad I deleted it off my HD with less than 20 minutes viewed.

Nothing he has done since then even tempts me to view.

Mystic
26th June 2010, 08:16 AM
I boycott Tom Cruise and John Travolta films, for supporting a system that abuses its members and suppresses free speech.
I'm sure that the deal they have with Miscavige is a good one, but for certain we will hear less and less about $cientology from 'Celebrities' in the future, as they know they will not be so celebrated for doing so:yes:

Ya. Travolta is another one. I've been able to view his movies without getting all tangled up in his clamism, and he's done some pretty good movies.

However, I've got his From Paris With Love and the role Travolta plays kills the film. I probably won't watch it because of his character--an obnoxious fkn hitman kind of government agent or something and it seems so fkn phony. The role is so absurd I think he did it as a cover for all the gay rumors. Isn't his gorgeous wife enough of a cover? And his kids? I like kids.

Zinjifar
26th June 2010, 09:00 AM
If you haven't seen it yet, it's worth it to see Magnolia

Zinj

Operating DB
26th June 2010, 09:09 AM
Why is this thread in the "Breaking News" section?

The Great Zorg
26th June 2010, 09:27 AM
...and on the subject of Travolta, I liked his role in Pulp Fiction. Good comeback movie for him. :yes:

degraded being
26th June 2010, 11:05 AM
I liked Travolta in "The COS Loves Children". Set in Africa.

zeropointreference
26th June 2010, 04:02 PM
Everyone has opinions as do I. Sorry for the noise but this subject interests me.

The only movie I have ever like Tom Cruise in was Risky Business. And I think that's because it was his first movie and the "formula" wasn't apparent yet though it was present even then.

I don't know about his newer movies, I haven't seen him in a movie since MI2, but of the ones I've seen he plays a guy who falls from grace, his struggle to get back into grace, and then who ends up being a stud at the end of the movie. And from movie to movie I've seen, it's all a variation of that formula.

What happens for me is that pulls me out of the suspension of disbelief and instead of enjoying the movie, I'm sitting there trying to recognize the "formula" instead of loosing myself in the story.

Had it not been for this, I might have enjoyed his movies. But because of him, any movie I see him is worth my time due to already knowing where the movie is going.

I don't feel this way because of Tom's association with CoS, I would feel this way regardless. But because this board is what it is...

I also don't like Travolta as an actor (except for Grease, which I thought he did an amazing job). He just managed to be in a couple of good movies that required the "character" that he can act. I liked Pulp Fiction but I thought Travolta played more of a leading-supporting role than an actually leading role. So much so when I hear the name Pulp Fiction I think Quentin Tarantino, not Travolta (or even Samuel Jackson).

SchwimmelPuckel
26th June 2010, 04:22 PM
In 'Broken Arrow' Travolta dramatized to perfection the unreasonable son of a bitch that scientologists in the Guardian's Office 'strived' for. Amazing asshole!

In 'Phenomena' Travolta perfomed slight of hand OT tricks.. He needed Hollywoods tricks and tomfoolery department to do it though...

In 'A Civil Action' Travolta plays a lawyer who helps poor families in a fight against a big stinking rich company who has poisoned them with toxic waste.. When watching that one can't shake the thought that Scientology would consider those families downstats and thus dump some more toxic waste on them.. They pull it in themselves after all...

:yes:

Mockingbird6
26th June 2010, 04:53 PM

:roflmao:

Mystic
26th June 2010, 11:35 PM
Well since we've already derailed the begheezuz out of this thread, and a goodie thread it is, I shall proceed to derail even further: Arnold Swartzenegger.

Arnold isn't a great actor at all, but he makes movies which are forever popular. I am presently watching an Arnold movie titled "Commando" and Arnold's acting is atrocious but I don't care! I'll go ahead and watch it anyhow right through Mr. Swartzenegger's really poor acting job.

Of course it could have been a short-budget film and they had to take what they got in the first few cuts. But I still don't care, I'll watch it anyhow.

I would not do this with a Travolta or Cruisedout Tom film.

(I hope I am overly and abjectly biased.)

:giggle:

OldTimingMan
27th June 2010, 12:00 AM
Well since we've already derailed the begheezuz out of this thread, and a goodie thread it is, I shall proceed to derail even further: Arnold Swartzenegger.

Arnold isn't a great actor at all, but he makes movies which are forever popular. I am presently watching an Arnold movie titled "Commando" and Arnold's acting is atrocious but I don't care! I'll go ahead and watch it anyhow right through Mr. Swartzenegger's really poor acting job.

Of course it could have been a short-budget film and they had to take what they got in the first few cuts. But I still don't care, I'll watch it anyhow.

I would not do this with a Travolta or Cruisedout Tom film.

(I hope I am overly and abjectly biased.)

:giggle:

Commando is a "Man flick classic", a masterpiece, with a fantastic cast and Arnold at his likable best. Thats a pretty tough comparison to any of Slappy's sidekick's flick.

The Great Zorg
27th June 2010, 12:11 AM

LOL - they will end up being starry-eyed from the ordeal. :confused2:

Oh wait, that's a symptom scientologism: funny looking, staring, never blinking eyes. I had then once, yes I did. :yes:

So after paying for and watching TC's movie in order to artificially inflate the ratings, being as deceptive as is usual for scientology, will they all have double starry eyes? :confused2:

FoTi
27th June 2010, 12:41 AM
LOL - they will end up being starry-eyed from the ordeal. :confused2:

Oh wait, that's a symptom scientologism: funny looking, staring, never blinking eyes. I had then once, yes I did. :yes:

So after paying for and watching TC's movie in order to artificially inflate the ratings, being as deceptive as is usual for scientology, will they all have double starry eyes? :confused2:

They might get starry eyes, but will they get any popcorn? :drama: This is the most important part.

JackieWilson
27th June 2010, 01:09 AM
IMHO, TC is like veal to directors. Also, I suspect the reason he has done so well at the BO is he is in good action movies AND, unlike most action movie men, for some reason, women cannot get enough of him. That said, the movies I have liked him in I have l liked despite his acting, not because of it. JT, on the other hand, can and does sometime act well AND I like him.

Mystic
27th June 2010, 01:20 AM
They might get starry eyes, but will they get any popcorn? :drama: This is the most important part.

Listen to the lady. She knoweth whateth she talketh abouteth.

Mystic
27th June 2010, 01:25 AM
IMHO, TC is like veal to directors. Also, I suspect the reason he has done so well at the BO is he is in good action movies AND, unlike most action movie men, for some reason, women cannot get enough of him. That said, the movies I have liked him in I have l liked despite his acting, not because of it. JT, on the other hand, can and does sometime act well AND I like him.

OK women, listen up. Can you get enough of him?

And Hi Jackie. Welcome to ESMB.

FoTi
27th June 2010, 01:31 AM
IMHO, TC is like veal to directors. Also, I suspect the reason he has done so well at the BO is he is in good action movies AND, unlike most action movie men, for some reason, women cannot get enough of him.

Women cannot get enough of him?.....Ha Ha.....not this woman! I was never a fan of TC. He never made "one thin dime" off of me!

Dulloldfart
27th June 2010, 01:48 AM
I probably will wait for this one for a torrent

Will this do? http://www.movies-links.tv/movies/knight_and_day/ There's no torrent thingie to log your IP address.

There seem to be 23 different online sources for it there, none of them at all bad by report and some very good percentages in the 80s and 90s even (that's good).

Now, if you watch it for free online like this, does that count as supporting TC, or not supporting TC? Tricky one, huh?

Paul

Sassy
27th June 2010, 03:31 AM
I saw the movie tonight & thought it was pretty good. Maybe a 7 out of 10. Tom & Cameron have good chemistry and Tom did well on the action scenes. As far as *this* lady goes: Tom has NEVER had a believable kissing scene with a leading lady, ever. If anyone disagrees & can point one out, please do so!

This script was pretty good, the action was good but the BIG PICTURE wasn't super clear to me. I won't go into details, don't want to throw any spoilers into the mix.

Anyway, Tom is really showing his age in most scenes, but then the camera would cut to another scene & I was reminded of the "Top Gun" Tom Cruise. He's fairly fit for a guy pushing 50, and his is timing is still there too.

JackieWilson
27th June 2010, 04:16 AM
OK women, listen up. Can you get enough of him?

Sassy seems to like him, 'specially in Top Gun.

And Hi Jackie. Welcome to ESMB.

Thank you. Good to be here.

freethinker
27th June 2010, 04:17 AM
I havn't seen the movie but I have seen the previews and his behavior is much like the couch jumping he did on Oprah.

One of the weekly rags did an article on him which contained a picture of Katie.

For the first time I noticed she had extremely large hands but worse she looked very old in the picture, about 10 years older than she should. It could have been a bad picture in bad lighting but she looked old.

JackieWilson
27th June 2010, 04:23 AM
Women cannot get enough of him?.....Ha Ha.....not this woman! I was never a fan of TC. He never made "one thin dime" off of me!

Good!:) Nevertheless, in general he gets way more women than the usual action guys. I don't get it either . . . .

freethinker
27th June 2010, 04:24 AM
I have encountered many women who hate Tom Cruise and not because he's a Scientologist, meaning that wasn't the main factor.

I'll just add, I dislike most of JT's acting. I liked Phenomenon but that's about it.

JackieWilson
27th June 2010, 04:27 AM
I have encountered many women who hate Tom Cruise and not because he's a Scientologist, meaning that wasn't the main factor.

I'll just add, I dislike most of JT's acting. I liked Phenomenon but that's about it.

I do not disagree with what you say about TC. I am just citing the BO stats I have read. I liked JT in the angel movie as well and in Hairspray. I grant he has done some pretty bad stuff.

freethinker
27th June 2010, 05:41 AM
It's not what i said, it's what they said.

I was sourly disappointed with "MICHAEL" and "Battlefield Earth"
I do not disagree with what you say about TC. I am just citing the BO stats I have read. I liked JT in the angel movie as well and in Hairspray. I grant he has done some pretty bad stuff.

JackieWilson
27th June 2010, 05:49 AM
It's not what i said, it's what they said.

Right:)

"I was sourly disappointed with "MICHAEL" and "Battlefield Earth""

I liked "Michael", if only for the last scene with the Van M song. And I liked JT in it. I did not bother to see "Battlefield Earth." It looked awful from a distance.

uniquemand
27th June 2010, 05:53 AM
Did you see Phenomenon? I think it was Travolta's idea of what an OT could be. I liked that he was literally struck by a "bolt from the blue". I also really liked the soundtrack, and I had two toe-headed kids at the time of the same ages. Watched it dozens of times with them. It was sad, though, because their mother and I were divorcing, and I was having a hard time not boo-hooing all the time. My daughter spent a lot of time hugging me and trying to cheer me up.

JackieWilson
27th June 2010, 05:58 AM
Did you see Phenomenon? I think it was Travolta's idea of what an OT could be. I liked that he was literally struck by a "bolt from the blue". I also really liked the soundtrack, and I had two toe-headed kids at the time of the same ages. Watched it dozens of times with them. It was sad, though, because their mother and I were divorcing, and I was having a hard time not boo-hooing all the time. My daughter spent a lot of time hugging me and trying to cheer me up.

Yes I liked Phenomenon as well. I will also say that Jt plays bad guys pretty well. I have not liked the movies in which he has but would say he has tended to turn in better performance than his costars.

degraded being
27th June 2010, 02:07 PM
Good!:) Nevertheless, in general he gets way more women than the usual action guys. I don't get it either . . . .

He was on Oprah's couch.

skollie
28th June 2010, 06:56 AM
From New York Daily news:

Tom Cruise, with 'Knight and Day,' has his worst opening weekend for action flick in 20 years

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/summer_movie_guide/2010/06/27/2010-06-27_knight_terror_for_cruise_as_toy_tops.html

AnonyMary
28th June 2010, 07:46 AM
Yahoo News Tom Cruise bombs at the box office (http://www.yahoo.com/) "Knight and Day" is the actor's worst action film debut in 20 years. Couch jumping still plaguing him

:onks t0 this article:

'Toy Story 3,' Sandler are hot, Tom Cruise not (AP)
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/toy-story-3-sandler-are-hot-tom-cruise-not-ap

sorry if already posted about but it popped up on yahoo main page

HelluvaHoax!
29th June 2010, 03:28 AM
From New York Daily news:

Tom Cruise, with 'Knight and Day,' has his worst opening weekend for action flick in 20 years

hmmmm, does this mean that the SP's that Tom shattered, obliterated and annihilated still have stronger postulates than Operating Thetans Tom, DM and all of the loyal Scientologists combined?

Thrak
29th June 2010, 07:41 AM
hmmmm, does this mean that the SP's that Tom shattered, obliterated and annihilated still have stronger postulates than Operating Thetans Tom, DM and all of the loyal Scientologists combined?

It would seem.

HelluvaHoax!
29th June 2010, 07:56 AM
It would seem.

Biggest movie star in the world applying Ron's perfect tech achieves 20 years of crashing stats.

Fastest growing religion in the world applying Ron's perfect tech achieves 20 years of crashing stats.

You've just entered the....
http://wdjohnson.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/rod_serling.jpg
COINCIDENCE ZONE