PDA

View Full Version : Edgar Winter still ready to rock after 45 years in the business.

NeverMe
17th September 2010, 06:08 PM
I lived in the Lodi, CA for 5 years and still have a lot of friends there. I try to keep up with what's going on in the area and saw this article in one of the newspapers.

By Tony Sauro
Record Staff Writer
September 16, 2010 12:01 AM

Edgar Winter brings his five-man Edgar Winter Group to the Lodi Grape Festival on Saturday.

Edgar Winter sounded as fired-up as a kid playing his first gig.

"It means the world to me to do what I love most," said the excitable and voluble Winter. "It's great getting to see everybody out there rockin'. Hoo-oo-oo-oo-oo. So, get ready to rock."

At Winter's age - the blues-rock singer and multi-instrumentalist turns 63 in December - most people are content with a rocking chair.

Winter has been rocking out since he and brother Johnny were growing up in Beaumont, Texas. He's now 45 years into a career that began at Woodstock, and brings the five-man Edgar Winter Group to the Lodi Grape Festival on Saturday.

...snip
Just mention a topic - his pioneering use of synthesizers, embracing Scientology, his affection for science fiction, music's transcendent spirituality - and Winter's off and rolling in a soft Texas accent.

"'I've always thought of music as a spiritual thing," said Winter, a self-styled "New York Texan living in Beverly Hills." "It really does have the ability, as all art forms do, to make us realize we are, in essence, one people. One world.

"I love Scientology, but also Christianity and Buddhism. They're all attached to the same source. Religion should be inclusive rather than divisive. That's what music does."

Heavily influenced by sacred music, Winter was attracted to L. Ron Hubbard's Church of Scientology and "Mission Earth," his 1986 album, included lyrics by Hubbard. Winter is "really not as avid now."

"Religion is a personal thing," said Winter, whose parents were Baptist and Episcopalian. "It's not something I really talk about. Life is a spiritual quest for all spiritual beings."
...snip

Here's the link for the complete article -
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100916/A_ENTERTAIN/9160304

The article says he's not as "avid" now. What does that mean? I wonder if he's still a practicing "contributing" member?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Type4_PTS
17th September 2010, 06:30 PM
The article says he's not as "avid" now. What does that mean?

Means he's probably lurking here on ESMB. :D

Mest Lover
17th September 2010, 10:45 PM
Circa 1989 on about Earth day, there was some big push about a video he put out about a song he did for SCN.

blast I cant remember what the title was, but I thought it was really incredibly poorly produced, shot, and otherwise just blatantly bad.

While on post, I was asked by Bridge Publications to call a local radio station all night and request the song in order to falsify the request numbers.

I did it a few times to say that I did and pass an emeter check if they gave me one but the rest of the night I went back to playing "Ultra Rogue" and programming their Unix computer.

Bridge kept calling all night to make sure I was requesting the song. "Yes Sir, I did that." CLICK! where was I?....

Gadz that video sucked!

AnonyMary
17th September 2010, 11:18 PM

:welcome: :D

TR'SIN
17th September 2010, 11:46 PM
Edgar Winter, so in my 10 best if stranded on an island list. Before Scn and because he gave rise to Rick Daringer and "Rock and Roll Hookie Coo".

Glad to hear he's out and about. If he were in So Fla I'd go see him and the original "Group".

He's never really been "IN" - thank goodness.

programmer_guy
18th September 2010, 05:14 AM
Edgar Winter, so in my 10 best if stranded on an island list. Before Scn and because he gave rise to Rick Daringer and "Rock and Roll Hookie Coo".

Glad to hear he's out and about. If he were in So Fla I'd go see him and the original "Group".

He's never really been "IN" - thank goodness.

I thought that he had been "in".

Take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MissionEarthAlbum-01.JPG

The Great Zorg
18th September 2010, 05:20 AM

:lol:

Prolly! :confused2:

Hey Edgar! Yo! :thumbsup:

freethinker
18th September 2010, 05:31 AM
Sounds like he quietly distanced himself. I remember seeing him as part of the Golden Era band in the events.

programmer_guy
18th September 2010, 06:05 AM
Sounds like he quietly distanced himself. I remember seeing him as part of the Golden Era band in the events.

I hope so. But...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Winter

Winter is a Scientologist. He has appeared in at least seven issues of the Church of Scientology magazine Celebrity between 1995 and 2005, which list the Scientology courses that he has completed.

Type4_PTS
18th September 2010, 10:14 AM
I hope so. But...

The article referenced in the OP is just a couple days old. When a Scientologist publicly indicates (with regards to their religion ) that "I'm not as avid anymore" that translates to "I'm trying to slip out the back door and get the fuck out of here". :D

Kookaburra
18th September 2010, 11:32 AM
Edgar Winter was at the Int base in 1985. I thought he was weird. He never spoke to anyone. Staff were instructed not to speak to him. It was quite bizarre.

That New Years eve, 85/86, he was promoted as a performer at the NY event in LA. What happened is he was introduced with a few other people, they all walked out on stage, then Edgar promptly walked off the stage and was not seen again. With 3000 people there to see him. That was also bizarre. I don't know about that guy.

Arthur Dent
18th September 2010, 01:44 PM

By Tony Sauro
Record Staff Writer
September 16, 2010 12:01 AM

Edgar Winter brings his five-man Edgar Winter Group to the Lodi Grape Festival on Saturday.

At Winter's age - the blues-rock singer and multi-instrumentalist turns 63 in December - most people are content with a rocking chair.
Are you serious???
...snip

"'I've always thought of music as a spiritual thing," said Winter, a self-styled "New York Texan living in Beverly Hills." "It really does have the ability, as all art forms do, to make us realize we are, in essence, one people. One world.

"I love Scientology, but also Christianity and Buddhism. They're all attached to the same source. Religion should be inclusive rather than divisive. That's what music does." I wonder if he's been made to disconnect and wouldn't put up with it.

Heavily influenced by sacred music, Winter was attracted to L. Ron Hubbard's Church of Scientology and "Mission Earth," his 1986 album, included lyrics by Hubbard. Winter is "really not as avid now."

"Religion is a personal thing," said Winter, whose parents were Baptist and Episcopalian. "It's not something I really talk about. Because I can't!! Life is a spiritual quest for all spiritual beings."
...snip

Here's the link for the complete article -
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100916/A_ENTERTAIN/9160304

The article says he's not as "avid" now. What does that mean? I wonder if he's still a practicing "contributing" member?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

my 2cents in red.

Pepin
20th September 2010, 06:47 PM
I thought that he had been "in".

Take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MissionEarthAlbum-01.JPG

Oh yes.

I heard him sing in a recording studio at CCLA then shortly after he was touring with Leon Russel in what appeared to be a beer drinking contest.

Bea Kiddo
21st September 2010, 12:59 AM
Edgar Winter was at the Int base in 1985. I thought he was weird. He never spoke to anyone. Staff were instructed not to speak to him. It was quite bizarre.

That New Years eve, 85/86, he was promoted as a performer at the NY event in LA. What happened is he was introduced with a few other people, they all walked out on stage, then Edgar promptly walked off the stage and was not seen again. With 3000 people there to see him. That was also bizarre. I don't know about that guy.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at CCI when he was performing for one of the Gala events. I found him to be quite friendly and nice. I found out that he has been legally blind a long time, possibly his entire life. I was amazed at his ability to command the stage, despite his inability to see. Before he performed he used to measure out the stage and figure out where he could safely go for his performance. I was impressed by him. (I helped him with this by holding his hand and taking him over to the stage where he could check it out).

Maybe he did not speak or anything when you saw him because of this sight issue? Not sure....

Zinjifar
21st September 2010, 01:56 AM
I like the Winter brothers. A shame about Edgar. Very talented people.
http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/W/winter_2nd_inside.jpg

Zinj

dexter gelfand
21st September 2010, 02:32 AM
The very first rock concert I went to, in 1973, was Edgar Winters' White Trash in New Jersey. What a powerful band! Great performance. Rick Derringer played guitar. I sat right in front and my ears rang for 3 days-it was totally worth it. Their first (eponymous) album remains one of my favorite albums, it was followed by a live album, Roadwork.

Most of us know his biggest hit recording. "Frankenstein"; most don't know how it got that name: Just as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein monster was a patchwork of parts from different bodies, the tune was simply a patchwork of catchy riffs.

I met Johnny Winter at a party at Celebrity Center New York in the late 1980's. As far as I know, he was never a Scientologist himself. He was a bit shy, but smiling and friendly to all, and easy enough to approach and speak with. He's still recording some great blues guitar work.

Best, Dex

Zinjifar
21st September 2010, 02:36 AM
Johnny was a junky, so, almost certainly not a clam :)

But, he was also, at his best times, enlightened. At his worst, I assume he was just a junky. That's how it works.

Zinj

Zinjifar
21st September 2010, 02:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL2UY2Uq7Tk

Zinj

programmer_guy
21st September 2010, 07:04 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting him at CCI when he was performing for one of the Gala events. I found him to be quite friendly and nice. I found out that he has been legally blind a long time, possibly his entire life. I was amazed at his ability to command the stage, despite his inability to see. Before he performed he used to measure out the stage and figure out where he could safely go for his performance. I was impressed by him. (I helped him with this by holding his hand and taking him over to the stage where he could check it out).

Maybe he did not speak or anything when you saw him because of this sight issue? Not sure....

I had thought that he was legally blind because he is an albino.
Albinism can be recognized by extremely white hair, extremely white skin, and very little pigment in the iris of the eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albino

Albinism is associated with a number of vision defects, such as photophobia, nystagmus and astigmatism.

Both Johnny and Edgar are albinos. (But excellent musicians.)

They also cannot withstand much of any amount of sunlight on their skin.
Albinism could be considered to be a defect in human DNA.

OHTEEATE
21st September 2010, 04:13 PM
My brother helped put on an event in LA that no one at Int seemed to have any time for. It got slapped together at the last minute, with no budget to speak of. Edgar Winter was the go-to guy for emergencies. He showed up with his band, on time, for sound check, and was pissed off that the equipment provided was really crap. It's hard to put out the best product musically when the producer doesn't provide a Public Address system worth a crap, and no real mixing board. Edgar did his best. He always talks about being a Dianeticist. I think he is only one of many old time celebrities who have been used and abused, and are tired of the B/S.

Div6
21st September 2010, 05:05 PM
Who could forget the raw emotion of "Tobacco Road" from the Roadwork LP?

Like most people, they get "stuck in their wins" and look for answers to help them move on......some turn to drugs, others religion, others, nut cults.....
happens all the time. We owe a lot of the good songs on the Beatles White Album to the time they spent in India, checking out the Maharishi...which didn't turn out all that well either. as far as cult experiences go....

Panda Termint
21st September 2010, 05:19 PM
Right! :thumbsup: