PDA

View Full Version : Kate Cruise sues American Media!

PTSPal
2nd March 2011, 03:54 AM
Katie is suing American Media for comparing the e-media to Heroin...AMI is saying that a scientologist is addicted to the e-meter like an addict is addicted to Heroin...Interesting! Think the judge might give em a chance? :duh:

http://www.thewrap.com/media/article/exclusive-katie-holmes-sue-american-media-50-million-25131

Infinite
2nd March 2011, 04:22 AM
The purpose of the suit is to harrass

L Ron Hubbard

NCSP
2nd March 2011, 04:27 AM
Yup, that's exactly what the Cruises need right now. More public attention on the role of Scientology in their lives. (eyeroll)

fortymarriedandbalding
2nd March 2011, 07:21 AM
DM will force Katie to drop the suit, probably through TC.

From http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/02/us-katieholmes-idUSTRE7207CT20110302

A spokeswoman for American Media said on Tuesday that the company would "vigorously defend" the lawsuit and that its attorneys "look forward to deposing Ms. Holmes about her experiences with Scientology."

I think that American Media are fully aware that this statement is their escape clause.

rhansrider
2nd March 2011, 12:09 PM
Oh Katie, please, please, please go ahead with this lawsuit! Get it into a courtroom where you and Tom HAVE to answer the questions. Just imagine the line-up of witnesses for the prosecution the Star mag could bring, and the wonderful fact that it would all be on public record. AND of course the Star could have breathless weekly stories on the trial detailing all the weirdness that is the cult.

If Tom's lawyer Bert Fields has any brains at all, right now he is trying to cut a deal with the magazine and busy telling Katie to drop the whole thing. However, Tom Cruise being desperate, and appearing more and more delusional, may actually want it to go ahead.

Remember, he is "the highest OT on the planet" and having a magazine say that someone close to him is on drugs, in terms of Scilon belief, is a very very bad thing.

TG1
2nd March 2011, 12:23 PM
Yup, that's exactly what the Cruises need right now. More public attention on the role of Scientology in their lives. (eyeroll)

:thumbsup:

skydog
3rd March 2011, 02:50 AM
The only people that will make out financially here are the lawyers. Katie's lawyer is going to get a six figure paycheck; and American Media's attorneys will probably collect some more money from the Holmes after they file a vexatious litigation claim.

Katie Holmes is a public figure and,as such, she has an extremely high burden to establish malice. Moreover, the article doesn't say she used or uses drugs; what it did say is that auditing can be addicting like a drug-based on scientific research (not the Tommy Davis "the churhc doesn't need to validate its claims because of course it works just ask one of us"). This has the potential to turn into a huge foot bullet.

fnx3
3rd March 2011, 05:28 AM
It sounds as tho' the magazine got a lot of it's info regarding the dangers & side-effects of e-meter use, from Lermanet's site (see link in my siggy) - drawing a pretty long bow tho' to describe it in the headline as a "drug".

haiqu
3rd March 2011, 05:55 AM
Per the FDA sticker, the e-meter is a controlled drug.

Game over, Kate.

You can tut-tut and say "It's not OK!" until the cows come home, but that won't change much. If the magazine didn't check this out thoroughly first with their lawyers they wouldn't have published.

Get used to the limelight, it's gonna get hot under there.

fnx3
3rd March 2011, 06:02 AM
mmm ... sounds as tho' the Star have done their homework then - thanks for mentioning that FDA info Haiqu :thumbsup:

Nicole
3rd March 2011, 07:14 AM
This morning I looked in my newspaper and I found an article about Katie Holmes... There stands "Ex - Scientologist have told the Star Magizine that Katie Holmes is a drug addict." :omg: They didn't write about the E-Meter etc... :unsure:

35 Millionen Euro für eine Überschrift

US- Schauspielerin Katie Holmes hat Klage wegen Verleumdung gegen die Zeitschrift Star Magazine eingereicht. Die Überschrift "Katie Drug Scocker" habe suggeriert, dass sie drogenabhängig ist, was unzutreffend sei, so ihr Anwalt. In dem Bericht sagen ehemalige Scientology Scientology - Mitglieder, Holmes hätte ein Drogenproblem. Holmes verlangt 35 Millionen Euro Entschädigung. (dapd) (IKZ, WP, Donnerstag 03. März 2011)

35 million euros for a headline

U.S. actress Katie Holmes has filed suit for libel against the magazine Star Magazine. The title "Katie Drug Scocker" have suggested that it is a drug addict, what is incorrect, so her lawyer. The report said former Scientology Scientology - Members, Holmes had a drug problem Holmes demanded 35 million € compensation.. (DAPD) (IKZ, WP, Thursday, March 03, 2011)

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4384/img4769zg.jpg

fnx3
3rd March 2011, 07:47 AM
It is mentioned in this online news article:

Holmes sues magazine for $50 million (http://au.thehype.yahoo.com/blog/post/-/8936772/holmes-sues-magazine-for-50-million/)

Nicole
3rd March 2011, 07:55 AM
It is mentioned in this online news article:

Holmes sues magazine for $50 million (http://au.thehype.yahoo.com/blog/post/-/8936772/holmes-sues-magazine-for-50-million/)

Yes, but the German article sounds like "She is drug addict said the Exs" drug for heroin etc. It isn't mentioned that the Exs said she is "addicted to Tech of Scientology". That made me angry, because I find it importand to mention that Scientologist are atticted to the Tech. That it makes depending like a drug...

fnx3
3rd March 2011, 08:29 AM
Get what you mean - yes it doesn't come across very clearly just what they (the Star) mean at all with their use of the word "drug" in their headline - takes a bit of close reading to work it all out.

morizo
3rd March 2011, 09:29 AM
thanks Katie! Isn't her Dad her lawyer as well? Might be the way to get her out of this cult. This can't but turn out bad for SO.

Dulloldfart
3rd March 2011, 09:56 AM
I wonder if they asked DM's permission first? Since Bert Fields seems to work for DM first and TC second, per Marty's notes anyway, it would seem so. Maybe it will get to court after all.

However, I really can't see Miscavige allowing Scientology to be on trial like this.

Paradoxical stuff.

Paul

Free to shine
3rd March 2011, 12:33 PM
I wonder if they asked DM's permission first? Since Bert Fields seems to work for DM first and TC second, per Marty's notes anyway, it would seem so. Maybe it will get to court after all.

However, I really can't see Miscavige allowing Scientology to be on trial like this.

Paradoxical stuff.

Paul

Yes, good points, it is indeed going to be interesting.

Sekh
3rd March 2011, 12:59 PM
Yes, but the German article sounds like "She is drug addict said the Exs" drug for heroin etc. It isn't mentioned that the Exs said she is "addicted to Tech of Scientology". That made me angry, because I find it importand to mention that Scientologist are atticted to the Tech. That it makes depending like a drug...

The German article isn't very clear. It confuses things for the German reader.

In the American magazine the cover says "Drug Shocker", which might be borderline over the top, but the article is very clear about what they mean, and not a word is lied.

Katie is, according to STAR, hooked on the E-meter, not on drugs. No way they can argue that's defamatory, since TomKat itself keeps bragging about the goods the E-meter brings.

And OMG, the publicity :happydance::happydance::happydance:

NCSP
3rd March 2011, 01:14 PM
(snip)

And OMG, the publicity :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Yes, if Bert Fields allows Katie Holmes to go into deposition, he will be handing the Star the biggest exclusive interview of the year -- under oath. Footnuke!

Jump
3rd March 2011, 01:17 PM
Yes, if Bert Fields allows Katie Holmes to go into deposition, he will be handing the Star the biggest exclusive interview of the year -- under oath. Footnuke!

And if they don't take it to court . . . hey presto - it's OPEN SEASON!