PDA

View Full Version : Small But Cool Point: Marianne Faithfull Gets It

NCSP
6th March 2011, 04:23 AM
I just saw this in my Google Alerts for Scientology. The great chanteuse Marianne Faithfull mentions Scientology in the context of working with Beck.

"Of course, I could have found fault [with some], I suppose, but I didn't. I don't approve of Christian Science, for example... No, it's not Christian Science, it's even worse than that. What is it?"

She is referring to Beck here, who is a Scientologist.

"That's it, Scientology. I don't approve of that at all, but it simply never came up between us; it was never mentioned. And it didn't have to be, just as my awful past life didn't. We worked really well together, me and Beck. Lovely boy."

Nice attitude! There's no need to be unpleasant with people just because they subscribe to a belief system you disapprove of. (This is very helpful to for me to keep in mind, living the Bible Belt!)

For those of you who don't know Marianne Faithfull, here's a taste (she also wrote a fantastic memoir a few years back):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KV-PTK0UZ4

MafiaWog
6th March 2011, 05:22 AM
Nice attitude! There's no need to be unpleasant with people just because they subscribe to a belief system you disapprove of. (This is very helpful to for me to keep in mind, living the Bible Belt!)

For some reason this "puzzles" me or has piqued my curiosity. Is this self-reminder due to being surrounded by (probably primarily) Christians who tend to irk you? Or is this due to being one of the majority religion (again, probably Christian) subconsciously "pressured" into that sort of thinking due to those around you?

I mean no offense, and I don't know why this little piece stuck out, but hey... if there was once a time when your judgments of others was harsher and now you're taking active steps to curb it, I applaud you!

NCSP
6th March 2011, 05:30 AM
No, I'm not a Christian. But there are lots of fundamentalists here whose beliefs (more their political beliefs than their religious ones) I find offensive personally. But I do make an effort to separate that from the person, and usually succeed.

No offense taken. :)

I told you I was trouble
6th March 2011, 06:05 AM
I'm smiling after reading the OP where Marianne stated her disapproval of scientology but has/had no problem at all with hard drugs ... I suppose it is difficult to say which really does the most harm.

:eyeroll:

Below is the most hauntingly beautiful version of Sister Morphine with Ry Cooder, Mick Taylor and of course Keef.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv8E_1Fe-5Y&feature=related