PDA

View Full Version : Travolta to play Mafia godfather in bio pic..

Smurf
1st April 2011, 03:37 AM
John Travolta Set to Play Mobster John Gotti

John Travolta is set to play John Gotti Sr., the mobster known as the Dapper Don, in the indie pic Gotti: Three Generations.

Nick Cassavetes will direct the screenplay by Leo Rossi, which focuses on the relationship between John Gotti Sr., the head of the Gambino crime family who died in prison in 2002, and his son John Gotti Jr., who took over the family business for his father, served time in prison, but then successfully escaped conviction in four subsequent racketeering trials.

Marc Fiore is producing for his Fiore Films. Marty Ingels, the former comic turned talent broker, has come on board the project as executive producer.

Gotti Jr., who's given his blessing to the project, plans to join the producers, Travolta and Cassavetes at a press conference on April 12 at the Sheraton New York Hotel. Travolta, repped by WME, last appeared in the action thriller From Paris with Love.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.thehollywoodreporter.com/john-travolta-set-play-mobster-john-gotti

http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/03/31/john-travolta-plans-another-career-ending-movie

Free to shine
1st April 2011, 03:51 AM
Interesting. I wonder if JT is unconsciously working out some of his cult issues with these movies. I hope so.

Infinite
1st April 2011, 04:04 AM
Its a tough one - as much as I hate the cult and what it does to peoples' lives (Hi Jett), I kinda like JT - have done since the Welcome Back Kotter days, and I even *bought* the DVD of "Get Shorty". I can see him doing well in this role.

Lavalyte
2nd April 2011, 12:44 PM
We'll know he's disaffected if he plays the character with ginger hair.

HelluvaHoax!
2nd April 2011, 03:15 PM
That has GOT to be one of the worst casting decisions of all time!

I spent a fair number of years in the film industry and there is nothing I can imagine that would possibly make that work.

OMG!

Just JT's high pitched voice alone disqualifies him to play the gravely-voiced Gotti.

And JT, much as I like him personally and in some of his roles, just cannot play evil. He has tried and it's a joke.

PREDICTION: Boxoffice & critical bomb. Think "Battlefield Bronx" (where Gotti grew up)

Infinite
2nd April 2011, 04:53 PM
That has GOT to be one of the worst casting decisions of all time!

I spent a fair number of years in the film industry and there is nothing I can imagine that would possibly make that work.

OMG!

Just JT's high pitched voice alone disqualifies him to play the gravely-voiced Gotti.

And JT, much as I like him personally and in some of his roles, just cannot play evil. He has tried and it's a joke.

PREDICTION: Boxoffice & critical bomb. Think "Battlefield Bronx" (where Gotti grew up)

Nah. I think you've underestimated JT

(Oh, shit . . . someone shoot me, I'm defending a Scilon)

Dulloldfart
12th April 2011, 11:45 PM
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1376216/Victoria-Gotti-poses-Lindsay-Lohan-promote-new-mob-film.html

To research the part, Travolta plans to study as much original video footage as possible and to 'understand how a syndicate like this works.'
Hmmm. :)

Paul

BC1
13th April 2011, 08:36 PM
I wonder if any of that research will lead to an ah-hah moment. I know I would be worried if it ever occured to me that there were similarities between my church and the mob. :omg:

Annonny
13th April 2011, 09:24 PM
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1376216/Victoria-Gotti-poses-Lindsay-Lohan-promote-new-mob-film.html

To research the part, Travolta plans to study as much original video footage as possible and to 'understand how a syndicate like this works.'
Hmmm. :)

Paul

hahahaha
I bet while Travolta studies the syndicate he'll be making comparisons to the CoS. He might even offer some pointers for improvement for the Cosa Nostra.
For example, the Cosa Nostra never hurts the family of the target (wives and children are normally off limits). Not in CoS. In fact, hurting wives and family members had been the modus operandi of the CoS since ever.

Auditor's Toad
13th April 2011, 09:41 PM
Perfect casting !

This will be an absolute hoot !

I want to see it on opening night !