PDA

View Full Version : Philip Boyd, Saving Grace Actor, Rips "The Business That Is Scientology"

Type4_PTS
5th October 2011, 03:21 PM
Tony Ortega of the Village Voice interviewed Philip Boyd, an actor that was on Celebrity Center lines around 2007-2008.

He told Tony: ​"If I could save one person from buying into the business that is Scientology, then it would be worth you writing my story."

Below is a short excerpt, the article is located over here:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/10/philip_boyd_sav.php

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/PhilipBoyd2.jpg

"I never got to the point of pure excitement about L. Ron Hubbard," he says. "That was one of the things that kind of freaked me out was the way they thought of him."

At gala events, for example, crowds would cheer "Hip-hip-hooray" to Hubbard's portrait, dozens of times.

Boyd says he couldn't help feeling that it had parallels with a Nuremberg rally.

Another time, he encountered the word "enturbulation" in a Hubbard book. "I tried to look it up and realized it was something Hubbard invented," he says. (Hubbard used it to mean agitation or disruption.) Boyd asked a supervisor about it and says he was told, "Hubbard was highly educated, and used words that weren't on this planet."

Lurker5
5th October 2011, 03:59 PM
:bump2: Thank you, Type4_PTS :wave:

:scnsucks: BIG TIME. :puke2:

Rene Descartes
5th October 2011, 04:33 PM
$300 to get the folder transferred? In the same building even?

Man oh man, looks like Folder Pages got a hefty raise.

Rd00

Captain Koolaid
5th October 2011, 06:11 PM
Smart guy. He looks a little bit like Tom Cruise... before the man went nuts.

Purple Rain
6th October 2011, 01:38 AM
That was a great story! This guy had so much more common sense than I did, but even I found my way out eventually. You have to trust that sense of 'hey, this thing is just wrong, and, it's not fair for that policy to be like that ....' It's a shame that Scientologists don't get to read this stuff and think for themselves about what they might agree and disagree with in that point of view. Yay the rebels that do!! Go you good things!

Free to shine
6th October 2011, 01:44 AM
Excellent article and the comments are interesting too.

freethinker
6th October 2011, 03:15 AM
Wow! They are so much worse than they were before. They don't even try to follow policy of anything that Ron wrote. Not eeven mix and match and stretch to fit and truncated HCOPL's.

I was threatened with declare once when I tried to send a students folders to the org he transfered to. "We don't send student folders to other orgs, that's squirrel,\. Are you a squirrel?"

And reges telling you to give them your bank account info? How brainwashed or evil do you have to be to sit there and tell people they have to give you your bank info?

What religion debits your bank account when they think you should pay?:wtf:

FoTi
6th October 2011, 03:35 AM
This blew my mind.....

"Boyd talks to the Voice
​After each course that he completed, Boyd says he was ordered to turn over the names and e-mail addresses of friends who Scientology could go after. He refused, even after they made it plain to him that it was a required step to finish the course."

It's a required step to turn over the names and email addresses of your friends to finish a course? I never heard that one before. They are getting crazier and crazier and more desparate as time goes on. Geez.....

ClamSource
6th October 2011, 11:20 AM
"Boyd asked a supervisor about it and says he was told, "Hubbard was highly educated, and used words that weren't on this planet."

I suppose on this other planet that Hubbard got his words from they spoke English.

Jachs
6th October 2011, 11:55 AM
Glad he told his story, good call, not easy as a celeb to do that. :)

Its excellent. A LOT of courage.

Maybe itll prompt some more movie scripts, of a hyper-notized guy high fiving air on a couch.

Infinite
6th October 2011, 12:09 PM
Twenty grand in eighteen months . . . a religion?

Thank you very much for speaking up Philip Boyd.

Freeminds
6th October 2011, 01:25 PM
"Hubbard was highly educated, and used words that weren't on this planet."

No. Hubbard was under-educated. He flunked courses and dropped out of college early, which is why he had to make up so many words. Scientology only 'works' in the make-believe universe, so it's logical enough to use made up words to describe its 'principles'. It's also one reason why Scientology has historically attracted actors, and not scientists.

Dukat
6th October 2011, 06:02 PM
Philip Boyd ... my newest favorite celebrity! :yes:

Mark A. Baker
6th October 2011, 08:09 PM

Another time, he encountered the word "enturbulation" in a Hubbard book. "I tried to look it up and realized it was something Hubbard invented," he says. (Hubbard used it to mean agitation or disruption.) Boyd asked a supervisor about it and says he was told, "Hubbard was highly educated, and used words that weren't on this planet."

Properly it is a standard form English word coinage deriving from the latin roots verb 'turbo, turbare' (meaning to make an uproar, move confusedly, be in disorder) and the Latin prefix 'in' (into, to). The '-ation' ending is a standard English ending denoting the formation of a noun from a root verb. The 'en' form is a common prefix form in English deriving from the french form of the original Latin root 'in'.

Such word coinages, especially from Latin & Greek roots, are a very common feature of the English language and have frequently been created 'on the fly' by authors with knowledge of classical language root words and the established principles for the creation of words in English.

Many of the words commonly found in English language dictionaries owe their origins to exactly such a process of formation.

These principles of formation are commonly taught in schools' basic English coursework.

In short, unlike many other hubbard-isms (e.g. 'basic-basic', 'arc', 'krc', 'pts', etc.) there is nothing particularly unusual about either the meaning or formation of 'enturbulation' or the related verb 'enturbulate'. Anyone possessed of a basic literacy in English as well as a knowledge of classical root words, both of which were common characteristics among readers of English during Hubbard's lifetime, would be likely to understand the sense of such words upon encountering them.

Mark A. Baker

Mark A. Baker
6th October 2011, 08:16 PM
No. Hubbard was under-educated. He flunked courses and dropped out of college early, which is why he had to make up so many words. ...

He flunked science courses. He was more literate than was common for his time. He was by no means a 'great writer', but as a professional writer he wasn't all that bad either. I've certainly read considerably worse. :eyeroll:

Mark A. Baker

Moosejewels
7th October 2011, 02:42 AM
Philip Boyd - Hip, Hip, Hooray ! :clap:

Hazmat
26th October 2013, 05:32 AM
Who cares what celebrities say about anything? They have no education about anything, except pretending to be someone they're not.

Although some, do truly educate themselves and rise above the chatter and clatter, most of them want to be a part of it. They don't want to resolve any particular issue, but want to become the issue.

But even then, most of them realize all they really care about is making money. And then sit in the background, and wait for an offer.

So, most of them, are neither creative or intelligent.

So, it's up to the creative and intelligent, to determine how to make the best use of them.

This is not to say, any of them are well intentioned. LOL

Type4_PTS
26th October 2013, 05:59 AM
Who cares what celebrities say about anything?

A lot of people DO care.

Which is why Hubbard put extra focus on recruiting them for his "church".

Purple Rain
26th October 2013, 09:51 AM
A lot of people DO care.

Which is why Hubbard put extra focus on recruiting them for his "church".

And, oh, hasn't that gloriously backfired!

La La Lou Lou
26th October 2013, 12:58 PM
Reading this thread, which I hadn't earlier I was amazed to find out that SO recruiters attack public in the CC.

If you want a guaranteed failure of an SO member get a minor celebrity on his way to meeting his goal and throw him in the opposite direction. I remember an actor on the RPF, someone destined for celebrity success, recruited and his goals invalidated. He wrote to Hubbard about it it and he replied that it was just a GPM. Scientology is full of talented people who have let go of their dreams, sacrificed their talents in order to be mediocre clerks in a money hungry cult. It's what puts the sour mouth on SO members' faces.

It's probably the thing I hated most, I was destined to use my talents, about to go to university and I was side swept into the cult. My goals taken from me, my talent made nothing of, I became a robot. Years after the cult I finally did my degree, I could have been productive for all that time, and developed and honed my skills, now I'm old chronically fatigued, and starting at where I was when I was twenty. The cult stole my youth my goals my talent and my vitality, I'll never get them back!

I'm not saying that I would have been a big name, but I would have been busy, and I would have made shed loads of art, some of it would have been good, I certainly could have been a tutor at an art school or university, I would have made a lot more money than the pittance I earned in the cult.

The cult is a vampire organisation that eats people's potential and turns them into bitter and twisted might have beens, like your very own aunty La La!

Type4_PTS
26th October 2013, 02:06 PM
"The cult is a vampire organisation...."

I'm passing along a message I received:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by National Vampire Association:

It's true that us vampires have a bad reputation but we would appreciate if you would no longer associate us with the Church of Scientology who we abhor for their horrific human rights abuses which make us seem like Mother Teresa by comparison. Thank-You

Idle Morgue
26th October 2013, 03:09 PM
Wow - you really know Scientology is going down and their PR is not working when VAMPIRES, that actually drink blood, denounce Scientology and want nothing to do with it!! :hysterical:

La La Lou Lou
26th October 2013, 04:40 PM
Wow - you really know Scientology is going down and their PR is not working when VAMPIRES, that actually drink blood, denounce Scientology and want nothing to do with it!! :hysterical:

Come on even vampires and the undead have standards!

AnonyMary
26th October 2013, 04:50 PM
Next, we'll be hearing from the National Vulture Association, lol

Type4_PTS
26th October 2013, 07:52 PM
Next, we'll be hearing from the National Vulture Association, lol

Do you know the difference between real Vultures and that of the Scientological variety?

The real ones have a positive impact on the planet, saving thousands of lives, and performing billions of dollars worth of services for us Homo Sapiens.

From LiveScience.com

Save the Vultures… and Save Thousands of People

Vultures are more valuable than you may think, or at least they were.

In the 1980s, more than 40 million vultures existed throughout India, where they ate about 12 million tons (11 million metric tons) of rotting flesh each year, according to the environmental writer Tony Juniper. Today, however, vulture populations have been reduced to only a few tens of thousands, and three of the most important species are listed as critically endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).

They have declined largely because ranchers started giving their cattle an anti-inflammatory drug called diclofenac that is toxic to the birds, which eat dead cattle, Juniper writes. Without vultures to eat this festering morass, wild dogs have taken their place and populations have boomed. The dogs have, in turn, spread rabies by biting humans, killing an estimated 50,000 people in the last couple decades, according to Juniper.

<snip>

"Deaths of course have much more than financial consequences, but they do have financial consequences, not least for the families of the dead" and the Indian economy, writes Julian Champkin at Signifance, the bimonthly magazine and website of the Royal Statistical Society. This cost is an eye-watering $34 billion, according to Juniper.

Once described as the world's most plentiful raptor, the critically endangered white-rumped vulture (Gyps bengalensis) has declined by more than 99.9 percent in just 15 years, the IUCN reports.

Vultures, disliked as they may be for their motley appearance and association with death, once provided billions of dollars worth of services for humanity.

Read Full Article: http://www.livescience.com/26478-vultures-save-lives.html

Real Vultures don't fraudulently market their services or break up families. :no:

If they had a voice with which to speak with I imagine they'd be very offended at being compared to the Scientology Vultures. :biggrin:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4Slb6myuVLO-LCpfDzVUpVNzCyDR8hLwRaS9oARQLWaonO9L8xg

Idle Morgue
26th October 2013, 08:32 PM
Real Vultures call themselves vultures, tell others they are scavenger's and that is how they survive. They actually aid the planet and harm no one...they eat the leftovers no one else wants.

Scientology, on the other hand, disguises itself as a "church" that helps people when in fact, they pick the meat off the bones of the humans who enter its doors WHILE the person is alive telling them with lots of ARC that: "they are getting rid of their reactive mind" so if it hurts - ignore it...."the way out is the way through".

The Scientology vulture does not look like a vulture nor act like a vulture OVERTLY! They wear disguises and have plastic smiles and AGREE with you so you let down your guard. That is the TOOTH AND CLAW of Scientology - ARC!! The art of manipulation to make the victim trust and feel cared for - then it picks the eyes out so it can't see....picks the heart next so it can't love or feel...picks the brain out so it can't think until it becomes RAW MEAT!

Scientology is a culture of vultures! It is worse than you can ever imagine and it destroys everything in its path!!

If you look at the statistics of the individuals - it does not match the glossy promo and promises - it is quite the opposite!

Type4_PTS
26th October 2013, 08:39 PM
Real Vultures call themselves vultures, tell others they are scavenger's and that is how they survive. They actually aid the planet and harm no one...they eat the leftovers no one else wants.

Scientology, on the other hand, disguises itself as a "church" that helps people when in fact, they pick the meat off the bones of the humans who enter its doors WHILE the person is alive telling them with lots of ARC that: "they are getting rid of their reactive mind" so if it hurts - ignore it...."the way out is the way through".

The Scientology vulture does not look like a vulture nor act like a vulture OVERTLY! They wear disguises and have plastic smiles and AGREE with you so you let down your guard. That is the TOOTH AND CLAW of Scientology - ARC!! The art of manipulation to make the victim trust and feel cared for - then it picks the eyes out so it can't see....picks the heart next so it can't love or feel...picks the brain out so it can't think until it becomes RAW MEAT!

Scientology is a culture of vultures! It is worse than you can ever imagine and it destroys everything in its path!!

If you look at the statistics of the individuals - it does not match the glossy promo and promises - it is quite the opposite!

^^^^^^^

Great analogy! :clap:

Type4_PTS
26th October 2013, 10:59 PM
And, oh, hasn't that gloriously backfired!

I do think that the celebrity aspect did dramatically help the CoS for many years.

In the eyes of many (especially their own members) having celebrities on board increased their credibility.

But now that more and more celebrities are jumping ship in a public way THAT is having a big impact. :clap:

And as the ship continues to sink, most of the remaining ones will jump off as well.

And for any celebs and non-celebs lurking here on this thread, it's time to jump!

This is what you're continued loyalty to the CoS is supporting:
http://tonyortega.org/2013/10/11/how-scientology-coerced-a-child-to-have-an-abortion-the-decrescenzo-files/

Just jump!

There's rescue boats waiting to assist you. :yes:

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/cruise-log/2012/01/14/cruisex-large.jpg

Deeana
26th October 2013, 11:48 PM
"He was more literate than was common for his time."

This statement is just SO not true! "His time" being the 1930s, 40s, 50s and 60s, there were most certainly numerous GREAT writers who were far more "literate" than Hubbard could even dream. Like Hemingway, Faulkner, Melville, and just so many others.

Hubbard wrote schlock science fiction. That's all. And what he wrote wasn't even good enough to win any of the recognized awards within science fiction writing.

http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/

The most he ever got was nominated in the "novella" category for a retroactive award. He did not win.