PDA

View Full Version : ADA and Flag

Mimsey Borogrove
9th February 2012, 03:17 PM
By the way - do they have those handi cap suit guys in Florida? In California we have them - they roll their wheel chair into a business, find a violation, and sue, hoping the non-complying business will settle with them, paying them several thousand in the process. They have many court cases running at once in their "crusade"

As I recall the Sand castle is particularly not set up for handi-cap access - the restaurants are not on the same level as the elevators, the course rooms are up a flight of stairs, there is no ramp from the parking lot into either of the two main entrances. There may be a ramp at the entrance near the exercise eqt, but I think that is the only one. I think there are more violations as well.

So why not sic one of those guys on them? He shows up, wants a tour of the Sand castle, or needs to use the toilet - bada bing, bada bang - law suit time. I wonder if security would even allow him to access the building? Or call the building department to investigate their lack of compliance?

But here is a perfect example of the Church snubbing the laws of the land.

Mimsey

WildKat
9th February 2012, 04:19 PM
I dunno. Who do I hate the most? Sue-happy cult or sue-happy cripple pretenders? They can both rot.

Sindy
9th February 2012, 08:05 PM
OTs don't need no stickin' elevators, escalators, ramps, toilet stall bars, or automatic doors.

For that matter, they don't even need stairs, lights, floors or ceilings.

As soon as you had the thought about sending an inspector in they "picked it up" and are now ready to knock the inspector's hat off at 50 paces. OTs love a good prank.

May the force be with you.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IBGgYHsXOWU/TnzVbvmwHBI/AAAAAAAAAig/G9MI8HHV1iI/s1600/family%2Bguy%2Bstar%2Bwars.jpg

GoNuclear
10th February 2012, 02:55 AM
I dunno. Who do I hate the most? Sue-happy cult or sue-happy cripple pretenders? They can both rot.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As much as I want to see/look forward to seeing the ultimate collapse of the Cof$ ... as much as I would like to go to Florida and celebrate the great party day that will happen when Flag folds up and moves, what I would call Clearwater Liberation Day, or perhaps "Clearwater Libere!" ... as much as I detest the TSA but would be willing to fly down there for the celebration ... I have a very deep philosophically negative view about using the power of the state to get the job done, and that would include all these horseshitistic handicap regulations.

Yeah, life is tough for those in wheelchairs, and on a personal level I have no problem going out of my way to assist should the need present itself, but I have a huge problem with using state power to force these things on the public.

Pete

WildKat
10th February 2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah, life is tough for those in wheelchairs, and on a personal level I have no problem going out of my way to assist should the need present itself, but I have a huge problem with using state power to force these things on the public.
Pete

Yep. Every time I go to a big store and see rows and rows of mostly EMPTY handicapped parking spaces I am reminded of the stupidity and overkill that fueled that law.

And sue-happy lawyers are basically the scum of the earth.

Mimsey Borogrove
15th February 2012, 05:08 AM
Yep. Every time I go to a big store and see rows and rows of mostly EMPTY handicapped parking spaces I am reminded of the stupidity and overkill that fueled that law. Something that you may not realize, many laws like those are not voted on. They are rulings by a committee. Lets say you want to sell Carbon Monoxide detectors -and they are a dog on the market, gathering dust on the shelves. So you hire some fast talking people to go to the ICBO or other building code writing body to sell them on the dangers of the gas. They put it in the latest version of the building code and voilą! The detectors fly off the shelves. Now, this is a hypothetical example, and I do not know if that was the case with the sudden presence of C.O. detectors in the building codes and being advertised all over the radio waves, but this does happen with many regulatory bodies. And thus we are governed without representation in these cases. (Not that representation is really effective with all these moneyed super PACs and lobbiests...)

When I see things like this I realize that Hubbard was right: The mission of the techno / space society is to enslave it's population. (or words to that effect) It was a chilling statement when I read it, then re-read it to see if what I thought he said was what he said. Though it was written in '64 I think - it is coming to pass.

Brrr. Mimsey

myrklix
15th February 2012, 12:18 PM
uhhh... perhaps we could stay on topic here?

I like the original post about whether Flag complies with the ADA (American Disability Act) in the U.S. and what harassment could be done to get on their case to get them to comply. Great idea! Perhaps we can expand the idea to all orgs in the U.S. I bet most don't comply. I'm guessing many recent Idle Orgs do comply since the renovations would probably require adherence to building codes.

Yes, we could use this thread to discuss Scn adherence to and enforcement of ADA in the U.S.

Then there could be separate threads in this same category, "Legal and Gov't Actions against Scn", with regard to similar laws in other countries.

Then, and here's my beef, discussion of whether you think the ADA is a good law or a bunch of bull, or opinions about sue-lawyers, could go over in the "Off topic" category. I find it frustrating when a thread on a specific topic devolves into some other discussion tangential to the original post. Just sayin'...

So...about what actions can be taken to get U.S. orgs to comply with ADA...

Mimsey Borogrove
15th February 2012, 10:09 PM
Dear Myrklix
I would start off by contacting the Clearwater building department and find out who the building inspector is for commercial buildings handi cap regulations. Then discuss with him the issues of noncompliance of the Sand Castle. Possibly, some of the building was built before the codes were enforced, or maybe they are waiting for somebody to complain. It would help if you nad a clear idea of the areas of noncompliance, Have you ever been to the Sand Castle? Unless it has been upgraded, there are areas in it that do not comply. If recall serves, for a wheel chair bound person to go from the dining room to the hgc, you would have to exit the building, near the exercise eqt, roll up the parking lot to the front entry, but I don't recall seeing a ramp there, so I guess you'd have to get someong th help the chair up the stairs.

Pinellas County Building Department
(727) 464-3241

http://www.pinellascounty.org/build/default.htm

This could be done for most every org - but it helps to know the layout of the org so you know if it compiles or not.

Mimsey