PDA

View Full Version : Church sues SC town over parking lot?!

Jquepublic
2nd March 2012, 02:14 PM
"At its Feb. 21 meeting City Attorney Wendell Willard said the lawsuit, filed in federal court, is headed to court-ordered mediation. The City Council in 2009 approved the church’s application to open at 5395 Roswell Road, but did not allow the church to expand space at the building because of limited parking, sparking a lawsuit that alleged the city violated the church’s religious freedom."

:ohmy:

:eyeroll:

:roflmao:

Full article can be read here (http://www.reporternewspapers.net/2012/02/29/neighborhoods-concerned-about-scientology-mediation/)

skydog
2nd March 2012, 02:34 PM
"At its Feb. 21 meeting City Attorney Wendell Willard said the lawsuit, filed in federal court, is headed to court-ordered mediation. The City Council in 2009 approved the church’s application to open at 5395 Roswell Road, but did not allow the church to expand space at the building because of limited parking, sparking a lawsuit that alleged the city violated the church’s religious freedom."

:ohmy:

:roflmao:

Full article can be read here (http://www.reporternewspapers.net/2012/02/29/neighborhoods-concerned-about-scientology-mediation/)

This is Georgia, not S.C. The case involves the city of Sandy Springs' (a suburb of Atlanta) denial of the church's application for renovations of the building purchased for their "Ideal Org". The issue in the case boils down to the parking facilities necessary to serve the "unprecedented expansion" of the religion in the metro Atlanta area. The church has argued that their "scriptures" required at least 40,000 square feet and the underground parking area, that was to be converted to an assembly area would allow them to achieve that requirement. The city has countered that the renovations would result in insufficient parking based on the church's inflated expectations of attendance that would accompany the completion of this monolith of arrogance and greed.

According to court documents, most of which have been posted at http://www.reachingForTheTippingPoint.net/ the church has only about 200 active members. Recent pictures show the building to be in disrepair and several squirrels of the cute rodent variety have taken up residence in the roof of the facility. :omg:

Jquepublic
2nd March 2012, 02:38 PM
This is Georgia, not S.C. The case involves the city of Sandy Springs' (a suburb of Atlanta) denial of the church's application for renovations of the building purchased for their "Ideal Org". The issue in the case boils down to the parking facilities necessary to serve the "unprecedented expansion" of the religion in the metro Atlanta area. The church has argued that their "scriptures" required at least 40,000 square feet and the underground parking area, that was to be converted to an assembly area would allow them to achieve that requirement. The city has countered that the renovations would result in insufficient parking (based on the church's inflated expectations that would accompany this monolith of arrogance and greed.

According to court documents, most of which have been posted at http://www.reachingForTheTippingPoint.net/ the church has only about 200 active members. Recent pictures show the building to be in disrepair and several squirrels of the cute rodent variety have taken up residence in the roof of the facility. :omg:

Thanks, sorry for the error in the OP. There's a Sandy Springs SC and I didn't bother to look further.

I find the concept of unlimited parking space as it applies to religious freedom hilarious regardless.

Auditor's Toad
2nd March 2012, 04:24 PM
Just when it looks like that they have achieved the most idiotic blunder in history ?

They top it with this kind of law suit - a kindergarden level temper tantrum over some legal authority saying no to an outrageous - and illegal - demand.

On the other hand, it shows the world just how moronic the Co$ really is.

Is nothing anywhere going right for the the tiny tyrant?

Debbie in Texas, his twin sister in Florida, Jan down under, Rex in Colorado, the French courts, the Germany hearings, each day to horrible it just goes from bad to worse...... and soon their cloak of being a "religion" is going to be stripped away.

Jquepublic
2nd March 2012, 04:56 PM
I suppose they've amended the creed of the church.

"We of the church believe that all men have inalienable rights to unlimited parking"

Captain Koolaid
2nd March 2012, 05:28 PM
They postulated this plan, and now they're pissed that wogs dare to interfere...and actually manage to sabotage their "workable tech". If they can't move ahead as planned, they will have to bring their current members to the top of the bridge quickly so they won't need cars anymore for travelling. However, thetans who operate outside their bodies have no need for cash either, and that is a real conundrum.

Edit: Or maybe they plan to create this tight parking situation so they can rip off the wogs in need of a parking space.

GreyLensman
2nd March 2012, 05:51 PM
Just when it looks like that they have achieved the most idiotic blunder in history ?

They top it with this kind of law suit - a kindergarden level temper tantrum over some legal authority saying no to an outrageous - and illegal - demand.

On the other hand, it shows the world just how moronic the Co$ really is.

Is nothing anywhere going right for the the tiny tyrant?

Debbie in Texas, his twin sister in Florida, Jan down under, Rex in Colorado, the French courts, the Germany hearings, each day to horrible it just goes from bad to worse...... and soon their cloak of being a "religion" is going to be stripped away.

When the Church of Scientology remodeled the Manor Hotel they started on the sixth and seventh floors. The first thing done was to remove and trash HISTORICAL doors and hardware and fixtures and tiles.

The renovation was halted by the building department and the historical society in Hollywood, and they were forced to rethink this - recovering and restoring and duplicating doors and hardware and preserving original bath tile and tubs.

Arrogant bastards who assume that they are completely unaccountable. The problem is in many ways they are, and they get away with great harm.

Helena Handbasket
2nd March 2012, 09:05 PM
May I suggest a compromise?

All the church has to do is point out how EMPTY the Ideal Orgs in other cities are, and that they can then get by with, oh, about 3 parking spaces. :biggrin:

Helena

NonScio
2nd March 2012, 11:33 PM
May I suggest a compromise?

All the church has to do is point out how EMPTY the Ideal Orgs in other cities are, and that they can then get by with, oh, about 3 parking spaces. :biggrin:

Helena

My thought also! Then again, an "Ideal Org" simply must have an "Ideal Parking Lot"!

TheRealNoUser
3rd March 2012, 12:07 AM
snip... The church has argued that their "scriptures" required at least 40,000 square feet and the underground parking area... snip
The "Scientology Scriptures" also require that everyone who is not above 2.0 on the Tone Scale by killed. "dispose of them quietly and without sorrow" was written by L. Ron Hubbard. Maybe this reference should be pointed out to the town officials who are going to be arguing the case against Scientology.

Auditor's Toad
3rd March 2012, 01:56 AM
These days a drive by of ANY org will reveal that biz is not so good at the scn places.

The do-do they have stepped in just keeps getting deeper & deeper - and one day soon it'll drown 'em.

Good riddance.

skydog
3rd March 2012, 11:30 AM
In one of the depositions, Deb Danos testified that there were about 200 public in the Georgia area. At another portion, she said that when fully functional, there would be about 200 staff-day and night. The membership in Georgia has been about 200 since the late 1970's. These people are delusional.

NonScio
3rd March 2012, 08:13 PM
The "Scientology Scriptures" also require that everyone who is not above 2.0 on the Tone Scale by killed. "dispose of them quietly and without sorrow" was written by L. Ron Hubbard. Maybe this reference should be pointed out to the town officials who are going to be arguing the case against Scientology.

Ah yes...Perhaps DM dreams that once his "Ideal Orgs" are up and running,
he will be ready to build his "Ideal CCs"...Concentration Camps!

Mimsey Borogrove
3rd March 2012, 09:25 PM
If they renovate the parking in Georgia to the same theme they used at the complex, they will lose 1/3 of the available parking spaces, so in reality they need 1/3 more that what they are asking for so they can waste some for artistic reasons.

Reminds me of that line from Joni Mitchel' Big yellow taxi song - "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
Mimsey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgMEPk6fvpg

Mimsey Borogrove
17th March 2012, 05:11 PM
My Bad. I was under the impression that they redid the parking lot at the complex to make it look better, and by reducing the # of parking spaces, the org would look full despite having less people on lines. Not so I found out yesterday! The city of LA has a requirement that when you re-stripe a parking lot, that you have to put in 1 tree for every 4 parking spaces. Thats why the tree population in the parking lot magically appeared.

Who knew? Not me obviously. So my apologies to the land lord office and the church architects that I have J/Ded. Carry on.

Mimsey

Smurf
25th June 2012, 05:56 AM
Huge article in New York Times today on the City of Sandy Springs, Georgia... sounds like the resident's dislike of Scientology may be more a case of snobbery to outsiders than anything about the cult's abuses..

"IF your image of a city hall involves a venerable building, some Roman pillars and lots of public employees, the version offered by this Atlanta suburb of 94,000 residents is a bit of a shocker.

The entire operation is housed in a generic, one-story industrial park, along with a restaurant and a gym. And though the place has a large staff, none are on the public payroll. O.K., seven are, including the city manager. But unless you chance into one of them, the people you meet here work for private companies through a variety of contracts.

Applying for a business license? Speak to a woman with Severn Trent, a multinational company based in Coventry, England. Want to build a new deck on your house? Chat with an employee of Collaborative Consulting, based in Burlington, Mass. Need a word with people who oversee trash collection? That would be the URS Corporation, based in San Francisco.

Even the city’s court, which is in session on this May afternoon, next to the revenue division, is handled by a private company, the Jacobs Engineering Group of Pasadena, Calif. The company’s staff is in charge of all administrative work, though the judge, Lawrence Young, is essentially a legal temp, paid a flat rate of $100 an hour."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/business/a-georgia-town-takes-the-peoples-business-private.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

RBMM
11th July 2012, 08:04 AM
Good grief... denying religious freedom simply because there are limited parking spaces? David Miscavige thinks he is so smart and cunning, but I am sure the town's legal dept giggled quite a bit. It really makes him and the organization look stupid. And it's disrespectful to the community who apparently has limited parking space in that area.

David: "We are buying this building for our church"

Town: "Sure, we welcome your church, religion, and business"

David: "Great, but we need more parking"

Town: "Well we are not a metropolis and we have limited parking"

David: "You bigots!!! You are anti-Scientology and I will sue you!!"

Town: "Uh... (giggle)... ok David, ok David, calm down... here's some crayons"