PDA

View Full Version : The Church of the Divine Man/Berkeley Psychic Institute

Mister Mike
28th April 2012, 03:17 AM
This cult is an offshoot of Scientology, founded by Lews S. Bostwick in 1973. According to a twenty-year student of the Berkeley Psychic Institute who calls himself "PsychDoctorate", Bostwick was a top auditor in Scientology before he squirreled the tech (my words, not his) and created CDM/BPI, which has spawned a number of offshoots. Here is a blogpost on the similarities between Scientology and Bostwickism:

http://berkeleypsychiccult.blogspot.com/2009/02/scientology-berkeley-psychic-institute.html

And here is Wikipedia's article on the group:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Psychic_Institute

It's interesting stuff....what I've noticed in these cults or abusive organizations is that somebody may begin an idea, others will come along and change it in ways, and yet more will copy the second generation and it will go on and on like that. Moving away from strict cults, you can see how the ideas of Synanon were taken and adapted into The Seed, and then Straight, Inc., and finally the KIDS of Bergen County and the KIDS of El Paso.....all of the groups I listed after Synanon were drug and atitude rehabilitation centers for children; Synanon was a thereputic commune with cult-like elements. All the groups were abusive, and thankfully, all are now closed, though there are less extreme knockoffs floating around.

Mister Mike
12th May 2012, 11:46 AM
Here is a video discussing the CDM/BPI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAygx8P2-CE&feature=relmfu

Hopefully people will look into this, even if just for kicks and giggles.

Tenacity
29th August 2012, 07:05 PM
The Church of Divine Man Is NOT, I REPEAT NOT an extension or have any connection with Scientology.

To say so is a lie. The Rt. Rev. Lewis Bostwick knew Mr. Hubbard, but had nothing to do with share his program or his beliefs. They had conversations, shared ideas, but that is the extend.

Please correct your statement to avoid any legal issues.

Thanks.
Tenacity, former student of Lewis. I had many discussions with him about this and my information is directly from him.

SchwimmelPuckel
29th August 2012, 08:31 PM
^^^ Hmm.. Legal threaths.. That reeks of Hubbard and the Sinister Scam Cult of Scientology too...

BTW.. The beautiful and descriptive prefix: 'The Sinister Scam Cult' are hereby offered into the public domain. Use freely to enhance the reputation of any scam cults you know.

:yes:

Ogsonofgroo
29th August 2012, 09:08 PM
The Church of Divine Man Is NOT, I REPEAT NOT an extension or have any connection with Scientology.

To say so is a lie. The Rt. Rev. Lewis Bostwick knew Mr. Hubbard, but had nothing to do with share his program or his beliefs. They had conversations, shared ideas, but that is the extend.

Thanks.
Tenacity, former student of Lewis. I had many discussions with him about this and my information is directly from him.

Lol@ bolded part, good luck & legal away lolol~ sheesh!
Aaaaaaanyhoo, do tell us some more, such as, since you're a former student, how about giving a short synapsis of what Lewis was all about? How much did it cost you to be a student? What gains and life lessons did you achieve (if any)?

Oh, and :welcome: to ESMB!

For what its worth regarding the OP, I spent a bit of reading over at CDM's main site and other than using some similar terms found in Cos, and that uncomfortable feeling I get when one ventures into the 'zone-of-woo', I find no links to sci-cult drivel, pretty much not the same. I actually found the article on grounding/meditation not bad for a kindergarden-esque perception, and I don't have much fondness for new-agey, starry-eyed, 'Oh wow we're all psychic!', drippy goop, whatever turns yer crank I suppose as long as there is no harm created, either mental, or physical (include financial ripping with that).
So in conclusion, hm, guilt by association? Did Lewis observe Hubbard's 'success' and go 'Hey, great ideas, me am start a church too!', who the fuck knows? I don't, and care even less atm. There are lots of mini-cults out there, some fairly benign, others plainly/covertly out for finacial gain: Most use some sort of build on plain old common sense imho. At first glance I'd put CDM in the former, but I really have no desire to delve into it more than I already have.

Smilla
29th August 2012, 09:09 PM

Thanks.

LOL!

Are you sure he's a Right Reverand? There are an awful lot of Wrong Reverands around, you know.

Ogsonofgroo
29th August 2012, 09:16 PM
LOL!

Are you sure he's a Right Reverand? There are an awful lot of Wrong Reverands around, you know.

:hysterical:
Thanks Smilla for my first good ha-ha of the day! :smoochy:
*runs off to find my bottle of screen-cleaner stuff*

:p

Mister Mike
30th September 2012, 07:03 PM
I know it's too late but I want to respond to "Tenacity":

The cat is out of the bag.... "PsychDoctorate" has done many videos on BPI which are available on YouTube and he has a blog. The guy has been doing this for years; you are late to the party, too late in fact.