What's new

Can someone help me re: Sea Org contracts at Flag

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
Hi everyone. I'm sorry I haven't been here in a long time. I've been through a bunch of shit, and then, I've been rewriting my book too. I'm half way there and will let everyone know when I'm near finished, and my plans, too.

I'm working with a new editor now and have run into something that doesn't make much sense. She brought it to my attention that readers will want to know. I was hoping someone could help me.

In the early 90s, my fiance signed a SO contract at Flag. He hid this bit of information from me when we first got together. Apparently, the recruitment office was giving him a few months to tie up some loose ends before putting the contract into activation. One of those loose ends included him going back home to Italy, I think, to get more money to pay the rest of OT3 that he'd already partially paid for. (He came from a wealthy family.)

Once everything came out in the open, and I found out he'd signed the contract, he tried to get me to join as well. My answer was a big, "No!"

Then, magically, he was off the hook. He did not have to activate his contract -- ever.

Why/how could this be?

I always thought it was because he was worth more money to them as a public than in the SO. But how might there be any other reason?

Thanks in advance. This would be a great help to me for the chapter I'm working on.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Had he ever taken LSD?

Had he had any psychiatric treatment/worked in the mental health industry or was close to anyone who did?

Had he been (or was he connected to) any journalists?

Was he 'PTS'?

Did he have large debts?

Could the person who was recruiting him have left the SO while your fiance was tying up the loose ends and the pressure came off him when that person disappeared?

Could he have just decided he wasn't ready to join (people sometimes signed contracts but never arrived)?

The idea that he was worth more to them as public (due to having money) doesn't quite ring true but only because the recruiter wouldn't back off for that '3rd dynamic' reason, unless ordered to by the CO.

Leland

Crusader
Had he ever taken LSD?

Had he had any psychiatric treatment/worked in the mental health industry or was close to anyone who did?

Was he 'PTS'?

Did he have large debts?

Could the person who was recruiting him have left the SO while your fiance was tying up the loose ends and the pressure came off him when that person disappeared?

Could he have just decided he wasn't ready to join (people sometimes signed contracts but never arrived)?

The idea that he was worth more to them as public (due to having money) doesn't quite ring true but only because the recruiter wouldn't back off for that '3rd dynamic' reason, unless ordered to by the CO.

In addition to these. There are other "out quals" (qualifications) that would stop one from becoming SO.

If he had a Criminal Background....( felonies I suppose...)

And if any one he was "connected to" such as ANY family that was employed by a Governmental Intelligence Agency.....

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
No. None of these.

He'd already qualified and signed. I really think it was because of his family filtering so much money to the church for his services and the IAS, and the fact he wanted to marry me and I did not want to go in, or really, all the money, because I told him to go.

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
Had he ever taken LSD?

Was he 'PTS'?

Did he have large debts?

Woops, I did not see this post. I'm sorry.

Te recruiter that had him sign may have disappeared. That is a possibility because I'd say a good four months went by.

And, yet, he kept procrastinating, saying he wasn't ready and there wasn't much pressure on him really, mostly because he was giving mighty large donations.

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
In addition to these. There are other "out quals" (qualifications) that would stop one from becoming SO.

If he had a Criminal Background....( felonies I suppose...)

And if any one he was "connected to" such as ANY family that was employed by a Governmental Intelligence Agency.....
None of these. He had misdemeanors in Italy, small bar fights. Small possession charges. Never felonies. No mental health, CIA, mafia, LSD or SPs. Only me! Hah.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
No. None of these.

He'd already qualified and signed. I really think it was because of his family filtering so much money to the church for his services and the IAS, and the fact he wanted to marry me and I did not want to go in, or really, all the money, because I told him to go.
Were you a reporter or connected to the media at the time?

One thing which holds people in the Sea Org is the systematic severing of all non-Scientology connections. After a few years, the SO member can't leave, because he feels he has nowhere to go. If he would retain a connection to you, then he would be seen as a risk.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Then, magically, he was off the hook. He did not have to activate his contract -- ever.

Who told him he was off the hook and didn't have to activate his contract?

Lots of people when I was in signed contracts and never activated them, but I don't remember anyone being told they never had to. It was always understood that they would at some point. Usually it was after they got rid of their debts. It's just that "at some point" often never happened.

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
It's not an actual person you are dealing with, it's the 'post' you are dealing with.

There is no 'person' on post.

Never has been and never will be.

The organism of $cientology Is defective by design.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
No. None of these.

You may never know because he had personal reasons which due to Scientology censorship and compartmentalization he could not openly share with you. You may have served as a convenient excuse for him to make himself disqualified once buyer's remorse or other family concerns set in.

The takeaway here is that once a recruiter is involved your family and relationships become instantly redefined in relation to the organization's interests and everyone has to figure out how to navigate those treacherous politics to achieve a Scientologically positive or neutral outcome if they are to maintain good standing.

What makes this even more interesting is even the most diplomatic maneuver, if done in a way to cheat the Church, can end up being that annoying little tick on the e-meter in some future session so it isn't enough to just keep it from the significant other - you need to do some clever brain yoga in order to compartmentalize it in your own head so it doesn't eventually leak out in an inopportune moment.

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
Were you a reporter or connected to the media at the time?

One thing which holds people in the Sea Org is the systematic severing of all non-Scientology connections. After a few years, the SO member can't leave, because he feels he has nowhere to go. If he would retain a connection to you, then he would be seen as a risk.
I was not a reporter, no. I was a gung-ho Scientologist. However, I was not qualified to be SO.

You do raise a great point here though. His family, though very pro-Scientology, as they paid anything he asked of them, were not Scientologists. I wonder if that could have been a factor. He would always have a place to go if he left. I do not know if he ever "served time" in the SO. He may have activated his contract in later years, and then routed out. That sounds like something he'd do.

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
Who told him he was off the hook and didn't have to activate his contract?

Lots of people when I was in signed contracts and never activated them, but I don't remember anyone being told they never had to. It was always understood that they would at some point. Usually it was after they got rid of their debts. It's just that "at some point" often never happened.
Who knows if anyone ever "told" him he was off the hook. He told me everything was "fine," and he didn't have to honor it. You are probably right though.

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
You may never know because he had personal reasons which due to Scientology censorship and compartmentalization he could not openly share with you. You may have served as a convenient excuse for him to make himself disqualified once buyer's remorse or other family concerns set in.

The takeaway here is that once a recruiter is involved your family and relationships become instantly redefined in relation to the organization's interests and everyone has to figure out how to navigate those treacherous politics to achieve a Scientologically positive or neutral outcome if they are to maintain good standing.

What makes this even more interesting is even the most diplomatic maneuver, if done in a way to cheat the Church, can end up being that annoying little tick on the e-meter in some future session so it isn't enough to just keep it from the significant other - you need to do some clever brain yoga in order to compartmentalize it in your own head so it doesn't eventually leak out in an inopportune moment.
A convenient excuse sounds the most likely. I mean, right? If that is something that can happen?

All in all, it would be really great to be able to explain in one sentence how he could have been "off the hook" -- something that isn't untrue (a possibility), so everything else around the story I'm writing can be the focus instead of this, and the reader can just move on.

This pops up in the middle of a situation I'm having with my ex before we get married. The editor thinks I can't just skim over the part where he goes back into the recruiter's office after we have a talk and says everything's fine. The reader won't buy it. Well... I did. I don't have to know what actually happened with HIM, but a scenario where that could occur.

EDIT: I have already written about the gamut of the ins and outs of the SO and what will disqualify a person. All of it. This situation is very different.

FoTi

Crusader
I signed a contract, but changed my mind. When they tried to get me to continue, I just told them I didn't want to......that's reason enough for them to leave you alone.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
None of these. He had misdemeanors in Italy, small bar fights. Small possession charges. Never felonies. No mental health, CIA, mafia, LSD or SPs. Only me! Hah.
That is probably it. "ONLY ME! "

Yah see don't yah that you showed "COUNTER INTENTION" YOU said NO which immediately puts you at "out Ethics" even if you thought you were a gung-ho scientologist, and him being connected to you would classify him as PTS to a Suppressive.

So he became an "Ethics particle" because of the policy on the purpose of Ethics....Remove Counter and Other intention to Scn, OSA, Legal.

Does that seem plausible to you?

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
That is probably it. "ONLY ME! "

Yah see don't yah that you showed "COUNTER INTENTION" YOU said NO which immediately puts you at "out Ethics" even if you thought you were a gung-ho scientologist, and him being connected to you would classify him as PTS to a Suppressive.

So he became an "Ethics particle" because of the policy on the purpose of Ethics....Remove Counter and Other intention to Scn, OSA, Legal.

Does that seem plausible to you?
Yes! In fact, that's what the scene is all about. We are sitting on the lawn in front of the recruitment office and I am telling him I am not "qualified," first and foremost, because it's not my purpose to be in the SO. If I joined, I'd pull stats down, everything would go haywire, etc. Not "on purpose," just because I should be an artist, not an SO member.

I asked him what his purpose is. He had no answer. He maybe told them after our conversation -- everything I said. Because I said he could do anything he wanted in this life. And if he wanted to be in the SO, no way should I stop him. But maybe he took it as, the world was his oyster.

Months later, it was what caused our break up. He didn't know what he wanted to do with himself.

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
I signed a contract, but changed my mind. When they tried to get me to continue, I just told them I didn't want to......that's reason enough for them to leave you alone.
Good to know you weren't pressured. This happened at Flag?

FoTi

Crusader
Good to know you weren't pressured. This happened at Flag?
No. 1979 or '80 ASHO....I signed, but didn't go forward with it. Later, at AOLA in late 80's I was a NSO Letter Reg there for several years and they kept bugging me to join SO....I just kept saying no....one day a bunch of them cornered me .... that's when I said "I don't want to be in the Sea Org".....anybody who doesn't want to be in the Sea Org is to be off loaded immediately (per LRH), so there was no use trying to get me to join them any more.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
You do raise a great point here though. His family, though very pro-Scientology, as they paid anything he asked of them, were not Scientologists. I wonder if that could have been a factor. He would always have a place to go if he left. I do not know if he ever "served time" in the SO. He may have activated his contract in later years, and then routed out. That sounds like something he'd do.
His family does not sound pro-Scientology. They sound like supportive parents willing to indulge their son. Wealthy supportive parents.

Now, what do you think his family's reaction be if their son had a bad experience with the SO? What might they do if their son had a falling out, and some idiot thought it was safe to fair game him? The family would have had enough resources to hire lawyers and PIs and make lots of trouble, wouldn't they?

That might have worried somebody in OSA.