What's new

Hurricane Florence direct hit on nuclear plant in S.Carolina

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Oddly this is not in any major news stream other than this thus far.
Hurricane Florence achieves DIRECT HIT on Brunswick nuclear power plant in Southport, NC… pray for our safety
Friday, September 14, 2018 by: Mike Adams
Tags: Brunswick nuclear power plant, Flooding, Fukushima, Hurricane Florence, natural disaster, North Carolina, nuclear, Nuclear Accident, nuclear power, radiation, SHTF, storm, storm surge

(Natural News) Hurricane Florence, which achieved landfall early Friday morning, has achieved a direct hit on the Brunswick nuclear power facility in Southport, NC. The eye of the hurricane — where the winds are the most severe — is right now swirling directly over the nuclear power containment buildings, battering them with 100+ MPH winds.
As Natural News reported earlier, there are at least twelve active nuclear power plants in the direct path of Hurricane Florence. Many Americans are concerned about whether these nuclear power facilities are prepared to survive a worst-case scenario of a direct hit.
Now, we know that direct hit has taken place. Thankfully, hurricane winds dropped from 140 MPH to around 100 MPH over the last 48 hours. This may be the saving grace that prevents these nuclear power plants from being severely damaged or destroyed by the storm.
As the map shows, below, the Brunswick power plant is located just South of Wilmington, North Carolina. This is precisely where the eye of the hurricane made landfall:

This is precisely where the eye of Hurricane Florence made landfall:
Hurricane View
Direct hit on nuclear plant
The Brunswick plant is a “Boiling Water Reactor” just like Fukushima
As this link from the U.S. NRC shows, the Brunswick Steam Electric Plant, Unit 1 is also a “Boiling Water Reactor.” It was originally authorized for operation in 1976 and it licensed to continue operating through 2036. The following diagram shows how BWRs operate, using heat from the nuclear reactions to turn water into steam that drives steam turbines which generate electricity:

Boiling Water Reactor plants must sit at low elevation near rivers or lakes in order to have access to cooling water
BWR nuclear power plants rely on cooling designs that use large bodies of local water (rivers or lakes) to transfer heat from the nuclear power plant to the atmosphere. This heat transfer is necessary to prevent nuclear fuel rods from overheating and melting down in a runaway nuclear reaction. Importantly, this cooling operation relies on electricity to run the cooling pumps that circulate the water.
For this reason, U.S. nuclear power plants are equipped with multiple redundant cooling systems and backup generators that can run the pumps even if the local power grid is cut off. At the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power facility, both backup diesel generators and battery power systems were present.
You might wonder, then, how the electricity failed on all accounts, causing the cooling pumps to stop operating, ultimately leading to “criticality” of the fuel rods — i.e. a meltdown. (For the record, the entire U.S. media lied about the Fukushima meltdown, claiming no meltdown had occurred. Only now, years later, does the media admit a nuclear meltdown took place. But in their original reporting, they universally claimed there was no meltdown. Just another example of how the media relentlessly lies about everything, not just politics.)
The answer is found in the storm surge — a massive wave of ocean water that swept through the Fukushima facility, drowning the diesel generators, coolant pumps and backup batteries. In effect, Fukushima was inundated with ocean water, and everything stopped functioning. But the physics of the fuel rods was still operating, and you can’t stop fission reactions just by hoping and wishing. So the fuel rods melted down and a nuclear meltdown took place, producing the Fukushima catastrophe we’re all still suffering under today.
As the Nuclear Regulatory Commission explains on this page:
The reactor’s core contains fuel assemblies that are cooled by water circulated using electrically powered pumps. These pumps and other operating systems in the plant receive their power from the electrical grid. If offsite power is lost, emergency cooling water is supplied by other pumps, which can be powered by onsite diesel generators. Other safety systems, such as the containment cooling system, also need electric power. BWRs contain between 370-800 fuel assemblies.
What the NRC doesn’t explain, however, is what happens when all the electrical power and backup generators fail.
See my full threat analysis and preparedness wisdom in this REAL.video exclusive video:
REAL.video/5833644594001
Real Video Link

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
Weird....

I think the "eye of the hurricane" is basically calm. Its the before and after that has the wind...

Am I wrong?

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Weird....

I think the "eye of the hurricane" is basically calm. Its the before and after that has the wind...

Am I wrong?
Yeah, the eye is like the same in a tornado where you wouldn't even know there's a storm, has an eerie calm.
The plant being shut down doesn't save the reactor rods from being damaged as far as I know, I'm no expert but I just bumped into the snippet of news and thought people might want to keep an eye on it.
The article states "The eye of the hurricane — where the winds are the most severe — is right now swirling directly over the nuclear power containment buildings, battering them with 100+ MPH winds."
My understanding is the sames as yours, and from what I've experienced in SW Florida where I've ridden out each hurricane since Charley in '04, you get the worst damage before and after the eye has passed. After it passes you are often shellacked by a flurry of tornado's spawned by the upper air disturbances to compound the effects of the hurricane itself.
Regarding the shutdown the articles says "Nuclear power plants require weeks of cooling pumps to function for an effective shutdown. They can’t simply be switched off in an instant like a light switch. If the cooling pumps fail at any time during the weeks-long shutdown procedure, the nuclear fuel rods can boil off the coolant water and rise in temperature until a nuclear meltdown occurs."

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
I do agree that it would be welcome to have some reliable information and news reporting on such an important situation....as this regarding the nuclear plants!

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
I do agree that it would be welcome to have some reliable information and news reporting on such an important situation....as this regarding the nuclear plants!
Yes, I was totally in the dark as to the number of nuclear plants in this region which seems to get way more than it's fair share of hurricane landfalls. Gratefully the intensity of the storm system dropped enough that, though it could be called a "direct hit" there wasn't enough wallop to do so much damage. But I'll be paying more attention in the future when hurricanes rampage through the area, that's for sure!
But, yes, strangely quiet on the mainstream news front on this going on...

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
CNN, as of a half hour ago

• Nuclear plant shutdown: A nuclear power plant in Brunswick, North Carolina, shut down operations because of the storm, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission said on Twitter. "Plant procedures call for the reactors to be shut down before the anticipated onset of hurricane-force winds," agency spokesman Joey Ledford told CNN. Federal officials had said midweek they weren't concerned about that facility or five other nuclear plants in the storm's path, calling them "hardened." Expert scientists, however, had said they were worried about Brunswick because of scant public information about its readiness.

Keep in mind they knew the storm was coming for several days, so they've had time for shutdown procedures

RogerB

Crusader
Having been through the "eye" of a hurricane, I can vouch for the fact that, in the eye at the absolute center of the storm there is virtually no wind and the sky can be clear blue above.

For you guys who want to get actual measurements of atmospheric pressure and wind velocity, etc., etc., go to:
- . . . https://www.ventusky.com/?p=34.0;-76.0;5&l=wind-10m&w=0FAKtpv2A

Fiddle with the settings, move out into the Atlantic and run the numbers on Hurricanes Joyce and Helene.

By the way, as I watched Florence make its way to shore this past week, I was checking regularly an all the numbers PLUS the other weather systems in play such as the high pressure systems that steered Flo . . . earlier in the week there was a high pressure air mass up here off of New York and up to the Canadian border and out to Bermuda . . . quite huge, and it steered Flo south away from one of my client's sailing vessel in NC.

Last edited:

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Having been through the "eye" of a hurricane, I can vouch for the fact that, in the eye at the absolute center of the storm there is virtually no wind and the sky can be clear blue above.
Yes and it's as if some electromagnetic holding pattern has been overlain upon the very fabric of your surroundings to where not a leaf nor the filament of a flower budges or twitches at all in the zero breeze absence as all surrounding winds and weather systems have been so overpowered by the sheer size and magnitude of the hurricane system so as to smother and make nothing of them.
I once experienced the same thing up in Minnesota when we had two massive tornado systems straddling us as we were directly in between them with not a twitch of movement in anything like we were in a state of suspended animation.

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Self-Declared 'Health Ranger' alarmist Mike Adams of Natural News...Is Fake News

they safely shut down those reactors days ago..
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...ing-shutting-down-ahead-of-hurricane-florence

send in the OTee's
I wouldn't characterize it as "fake news". Other media outlets reported on this threat days AFTER Natural News did:

Six nuclear power plants are in Hurricane Florence's path, officials say
(CNN) - Federal officials expressed confidence the six nuclear power plants in Hurricane Florence's path are safe, but some experts aren't so sure, warning that flooding and torrential rains could overwhelm their defenses. <snip>
Full Story: https://www.news4jax.com/news/natio...are-in-hurricane-florences-path-officials-say

Nuclear Power Plant Still Threatened by Florence Rainfall
Since Fukushima, plant operators have shored up defenses. Will it be enough in the Carolinas?

Hurricane Florence is in the midst of dumping hazardous amounts of rain across North and South Carolina. As it stalls over the region before heading west, some regions could see as much as 20 to 40 inches of water. And some experts worry that the area's nuclear power plants may be at risk.
<snip>

Full Story: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/09/news-nuclear-power-plants-hurricane-florence/

EDIT: The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has declared a "State of Emergency" at the Brunswick plant earlier today. Note though that the Emergency Class of "unusual event" is the lowest level emergency.
https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2018/20180917en.html

NRC.GOV.PNG

Last edited:

triumph

Silver Meritorious Patron
He's reality-challenged (actually,reality-lacking) rants and rants about traditional medicine, vaccines, and science, he post's really awfully bad rap videos and the occasional 9/11 “Truth” rants, Adams has a particularly intense level of hatred for psychiatry..

writes way too many alarmist articles,with a big adgenda... he was shut down on You Tube for content..

I think Natural News is Not News... and not in CCN,MSNBC,Fox,Natural Geographic,Reuters or any one else's league

the threat is flooding.... 200,000 Volunteer Ministers can do something about it... send in the Otee's they can stick a finger on the broken damn and do a touch assist.

Last edited:

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
He's reality-challenged (actually,reality-lacking) rants and rants about traditional medicine, vaccines, and science, he post's really awfully bad rap videos and the occasional 9/11 “Truth” rants, Adams has a particularly intense level of hatred for psychiatry..

writes way too many alarmist articles,with a big adgenda... he was shut down on You Tube for content..

I think Natural News is Not News... and not in CCN,MSNBC,Fox,Natural Geographic,Reuters or any one else's league

the threat is flooding.... 200,000 Volunteer Ministers can do something about it... send in the Otee's they can stick a finger on the broken damn and do a touch assist.
I'd never heard of him nor his site before, just came up in a Google while attempting to gather intel on the status of the hurricane. The damnedest sources come up during routine searches these days it seems.
“Truth” rants would seem to be an oxymoron all about the dumbing down of the flock though. Sometime one finds truth where one finds truth.
But, his claim that it was a direct hit on the area of the nuclear facility was correct, even his representation of the deescalation of wind intensity was, so I don't see a problem in this case. Only by dragging in whatever he's assumed guilty of across the boards might one find a problem with him if one had an axe to grind against him or earlier similar "others" such as "truth ranters". Understandably some are uncomfortable with the truth and like to shoot down it's messengers. These people probably have a hard time processing the news of these times we are in. Life probably seemed a lot simpler for some while in the Sea Org with such a canned list of easily identifiable "enemies". No need to make choices when they've all been made for you.

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

While I would have to agree with you that Adam's is guilty of really awfully bad rap videos, I would disagree with many other things you wrote. If you want to cross-post your comment in another thread (maybe this one) I'll respond to it in depth. But I don't want to derail this thread into a discussion about Mike Adam's and/or Natural News.

Whether your criticisms are valid or not, his media outlet was one of the first to warn about a possible threat to the nuclear power planets and then some other outlets (including CNN and National Geographic) followed suit, days later.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
As stated in the article you linked to, the plants began the process of shutting down. But nuclear reactors have different stages of being "shut down".
As stated in WolfStreet.com:

Can You Really “Shut Down” a Nuclear Power Plant before a Hurricane?

There are those who believe the answers to life’s most pressing questions can be found in one of two movies: “The Godfather” (part one) or “The Princess Bride.” In the latter movie, think of the Spaniard’s vaguely taunting response: “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Which might also be the reply to: “Our nuclear plants are now shut down.”