What's new

What Does It Mean To Be A Man? | Thoughts on the Sacred Masculine.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
What does it mean to be a man?

What it means is that when you are young you can draw your initials in the snow while you're taking a leak outside. Not any more though, not as far as I'm concerned anyway, my bladder's so weak my pee comes out on crutches. :(
Well, now women can do it too. They just need a little artificial assistance (available on Amazon).

81Jx54fUe5L._SX522_.jpg

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
<snip>

The male is designed to seek a healthy, fit female in her prime child bearing years. What we call "beauty" is a set of indicators for health, youth, and fitness. Thus a physically-fit 20 year old aerobics instructor is sought after by more men than a 50 year old female business executive.

<snip>
If you replaced the word "designed" with the word "evolved" then I agree.
Using the word "designed" implies god(s).

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
We had 8 inches of snow couple of years back at our place.
Winters here in England aren't what they used to be. I've been living down here on the south coast for over ten years now, and in that time I've seen snow twice, on both occasions a tiny dusting that vanished within a matter of minutes.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
I found this video this morning over my coffee.

Never heard of this guy before, but quite like some of the points he was making. I found the article interesting and relevant to the discussion here.

I know he is talking about the black men here, but it does come across as being relevant to anyone regardless of race or culture.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Larry Elder is a black conservative like Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams, but not as well known.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Larry Elder is a black conservative like Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams, but not as well known.
Never heard of any of those guys before, being an outsider.

Certainly respected his views, I'm assuming the other guys you speak of carry similar viewpoints?

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Means nothing in this Metrosexual's paradise.
I thought manhood was outlawed around the turn of the century when heterosexuality was felonized, bumped up from a simple misdemeanor which was passed into law in the 80's.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Thanks for that. @Enthetan

What an interesting fellow to listen to. A great sense of humility and humour and more importantly to me, a man who presents his arguments in a non emotional manner. That in itself carries more weight that someone of any political persuasion that just rants and raves. I usually just switch off to them.

I learned quite a few things here, beginning to understand the often virulent polarizing of the politics in the US.

His facts were quite fascinating.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've been watching a series on British TV called "SAS: Who Dares Wins". It's a reality show where ex-special forces soldiers put members of the public through a recreation of the SAS selection process.

It's an extremely tough process and for the first time this series has allowed women to take part. There has been a lot of discussion in the media about whether women should be allowed to fight alongside men and whether they are even tough enough to be recruited into the special forces. Well this show is finding out how women perform alongside men.

There are no allowances being made for them being women. If one of the tasks is for a man to carry another man up a mountain then a woman will have to also carry a man up a mountain. They are treated exactly the same as men.

This series has been going for a few weeks now and I think there were about 24 people who started it and now only 9 are left. And 5 of them are women!

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
I've been watching a series on British TV called "SAS: Who Dares Wins". It's a reality show where ex-special forces soldiers put members of the public through a recreation of the SAS selection process.

It's an extremely tough process and for the first time this series has allowed women to take part. There has been a lot of discussion in the media about whether women should be allowed to fight alongside men and whether they are even tough enough to be recruited into the special forces. Well this show is finding out how women perform alongside men.

There are no allowances being made for them being women. If one of the tasks is for a man to carry another man up a mountain then a woman will have to also carry a man up a mountain. They are treated exactly the same as men.

This series has been going for a few weeks now and I think there were about 24 people who started it and now only 9 are left. And 5 of them are women!
Yeah, but to be fair, out of the 24 who started it, 19 were women. So 74% of the women who started dropped out, and 0% of the men did.

(I'm only joking - I've never watched the series, so I don't know what the figures are, but I am confident that at least 50% of the 24 would have been men, so that TE's point is indeed valid. But it just goes to show how easy it is to mislead with statistics. That kind of trick is pulled in newspapers all the time.)

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Gotta ask, did they lower the overall physical standard any?
No, not at all. Women carry the same weight backpacks as men. The physical standard is extremely high. One of the men who got kicked out last week was a muscular gym owner who looked as fit as anyone could be. When they were running up a mountain with full gear on their backs his female partner had to keep shouting at him to keep him going. Then at the top of the mountain they had to jump into an ice-cold lake and this guy's body shut down and he had to be rescued by his female partner.

Also, this isn't just a physical test. Every aspect of their personality is being tested.

This is a tough selection process.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, but to be fair, out of the 24 who started it, 19 were women. So 74% of the women who started dropped out, and 0% of the men did.

(I'm only joking - I've never watched the series, so I don't know what the figures are, but I am confident that at least 50% of the 24 would have been men, so that TE's point is indeed valid. But it just goes to show how easy it is to mislead with statistics. That kind of trick is pulled in newspapers all the time.)
Ok, just to clarify - 12 women and 12 men started the process. There are 5 women and 4 men left.

Actually, one of the initial women wasn't really a contestant. She was an ex-member of the Swedish SAS and she was put in there to give inside information about the mindset of the recruits. They have now told the recruits who she was so she is no longer part of the process. Therefore there are only actually 6 female recruits who have been eliminated whereas 8 men have either quit or been kicked out.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Ok, just to clarify - 12 women and 12 men started the process. There are 5 women and 4 men left.

Actually, one of the initial women wasn't really a contestant. She was an ex-member of the Swedish SAS and she was put in there to give inside information about the mindset of the recruits. They have now told the recruits who she was so she is no longer part of the process. Therefore there are only actually 6 female recruits who have been eliminated whereas 8 men have either quit or been kicked out.
OK. I see. I wasn't criticising your reporting of it, by the way. It's just that, as I read your post, it sparked a thought process about lying with statistics, and the way newspapers, governments and corporations often report misleading statistics to deceive. I wasn't claiming that that was YOUR intention (though I think you realised that anyway).