What's new

How is the CofS generating new members?

Anne Ominous

Patron with Honors
Yoghurt, you'll find they don't get many new member at all.
They have been juicing the older members for years now. Many of those older members are starting to figure it all out now.

This is what all the signs point towards. Course rooms in a number of the largest orgs are pretty much empty a lot of the time now. When the community is shrinking so rapidly, even long-term members start to wonder why. And OSA is terrified of them looking for answers outside the Church, or heaven forbid, online.

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is what all the signs point towards. Course rooms in a number of the largest orgs are pretty much empty a lot of the time now. When the community is shrinking so rapidly, even long-term members start to wonder why. And OSA is terrified of them looking for answers outside the Church, or heaven forbid, online.

How long have the stats been declining for, though?

Wisened One

Crusader
Hey and :welcome: to ESMB, Cannon.

I think Co$ is relying heavily on FSM selectees at this point.....(but the FSM's are surely dwindling :D )

I bet any Div 6 actions like promo out/ ads, etc. just generate scoffs from everyone who sees them....:p

Lynn Fountain Campbell

Silver Meritorious Patron
How long have the stats been declining for, though?

A couple of years at least. I could always tell when staff hadn't gotten paid, because nobody could afford to come in for haircuts. At one point, they'd get in trouble with whoever did the inspections for appearances, if their hair was shaggy (guys) or looked "unprofessional" (girls).

Then I started seeing some of the S.O. women with hair getting longer and longer. The other day, I saw one whose gray had grown out. Shockingly out-PR. :melodramatic:

Lynn

Tim Skog

Welcome to the board Cannon Fodder. That's a darned good question. You've certainly stimulated some interesting speculation. My guess as to what the Church is doing to get new members is still the same, OCA testing, having a friend who is a scilon disseminate to you, booksales, etc. It doesn't appear to be successful and that is probably due in very large part to the internet. The negative PR about the cult far outweighs the crap the Church puts out there on their sites.

With all the internet savy people out there most if not all will have a negative impression of Scientology. It is hard to recruit from limited resources.

So, again, welcome to the board and hope to hear more from you.:goodposting:

Tim

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
A couple of years at least. I could always tell when staff hadn't gotten paid, because nobody could afford to come in for haircuts.

I'm guessing you're not getting a lot of staff these days.

Even so, SO salaries are small, but that doesn't say how long bodies in the classroom have been declining.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Off topic: I got my nick because I was eating yoghurt when I registered!

Sounds like that story of the Native American kid asking the Elder how the youngsters were named in the tribe. The Elder says, "When the child is brought to me for a name I look around for a sign. Maybe I see an eagle soaring in the sky, and then the child might be called 'Soaring Eagle'. If I see a buffalo snorting, 'Restless Buffalo' might be appropriate. Or perhaps it is stormy, and 'Rolling Thunder' could fit well. Why do you ask, Two Dogs Fucking?"

Paul

Last edited:

Lynn Fountain Campbell

I'm guessing you're not getting a lot of staff these days.

Even so, SO salaries are small, but that doesn't say how long bodies in the classroom have been declining.

No S.O. at all. I stopped giving them discounts a while back.

I was in the course room at ASHO briefly in 2003, trying to do my GAT -- all that rote memorization, making auditors almost as good as Paul's Robot. But anyway, they had the Special Courses smushed in with the BC. And then across the hall were the people on endless Pro Metering -- who I bet they wouldn't let graduate because if they were gone, there'd be nobody there.

So the decline was noticeable to me 5 years ago. I bet if I did a rollback... hmmm....

Lynn

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was in the course room at ASHO briefly in 2003, trying to do my GAT -- all that rote memorization, making auditors almost as good as Paul's Robot. But anyway, they had the Special Courses smushed in with the BC. And then across the hall were the people on endless Pro Metering -- who I bet they wouldn't let graduate because if they were gone, there'd be nobody there.

So the decline was noticeable to me 5 years ago. I bet if I did a rollback... hmmm....

ASHO's a pretty high org, though, so one then wonders if the orgs and missions are getting people in, or if there's so little emphasis on auditor training that no one's getting fed to ASHO?

I like Paul's Robot. Fun.

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
how the Church is recruiting new members

maybe by emitting a loud sonic beam, like in the the film 'the time machine'.
Maybe its the new to make people stream into the orgs like zombies with their arm raised, and the gates to 'heaven' are opened......

Watch this clip from the 'Angry Gay Pope':

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t84aDpM_thU

Have fun!

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm working 12 hours a day on Paul's Robot 2.0. Should be online within a week or two at the usual place. It's a major upgrade, even playing the audio on Firefox. :)

Sweet! I've been working on some power processing just for grins.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Sweet! I've been working on some power processing just for grins.

Great! I did make up a Power Processing (the regular stuff) module some months back, but when I used it it wasn't anything spectacular so I didn't put it online.

Paul