What's new

Gilligan's Island REMAKE to be filmed at Gold Base !!!

I just got this today and it sure seems that Gold Base will be used this for some kind of movie or TV production involving thatched huts. :happydance: (Or is it the new place for the RPF people :omg:)

They built a bunch of huts just north of the cine building (the castle). (That's the area that was previously illegally graded :no:).

They're mostly completed the construction of the huts and it appears that there are five huts. :thumbsup: How many huts were there on the Gilligan's island program?

From a distance, in this picture the cine building is on the left and the huts are on the right:
IMG_07231024x768.jpg

The huts, shown behind the graded land area:
IMG_07251024x768.jpg

IMG_07321024x768.jpg

Close up of the huts:
IMG_07311024x768.jpg

IMG_07341024x768.jpg

IMG_07371024x768.jpg

IMG_07431024x768.jpg

This one is still in construction:
IMG_07421024x768.jpg

Ok, here's the question:

Who will play the various parts the the Gilligan's Island remake at Gold Base?:
Gilligan: Danny Dunagin (Of course!)
Captain Jonas Grumby: ?
Thurston Howell, III, (the millionaire) : ?
Eunice "Lovey" Wentworth Howell: ?
Ginger Grant: ?
The Professor: ?
Mary Ann: ?

Last edited:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Looks like they might've scheduled a re-make of the Training Film, "Checklist For Setting Up A Session", to me.
(The film is set in a fictitious African country and has sets much like those pictured.)

To be exact, I think you're referring to “EM-5 – How to Set up a Session and E-Meter”.

Larry Anderson was the lead actor, so that film has to be re-shot for sure. In the last re-shoot of that movie, in the early 90's, LRH was in it! Well, not exactly; some sea-org member played LRH's arms as they shot the scene over his shoulder. What's funny is that this particular Sea Org person also blew, so they're going to have to re-shoot the movie just for that.

The Cirque du Soleil should keep a close eye on this new production. The last version of that film had their music verbatim. I wonder how much the royalties for their music costs?

These films have to be "timeless", but they re-shoot them every 20 years or so, which is also pretty funny. Will they use the new Mark VIII Ultra E-meters. Let's hope they are the last ever E-Meters!

Anyway, sorry for the derail,

This thread is about Gilligan Island remake! :D

Looks like a lot of new trees were planted near the huts.

Actually a lot of trees (about 100) were removed! The ones you see managed to say.

Some big bad SP got them to uproot most of the new trees, re-grade the land and have native seeds planted. :yes:

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
To be exact, I think you're referring to “EM-5 – How to Set up a Session and E-Meter”.

Larry Anderson was the lead actor, so that film has to be re-shot for sure.
In the last re-shoot of that movie, in the early 90's, LRH was in it! Well, not exactly; some sea-org member played LRH's arms as they shot the scene over his shoulder. What's funny is that this particular Sea Org person also blew, so they're going to have to re-shoot the movie just for that.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

The Cirque du Soleil should keep a close eye on this new production. The last version of that film had their music verbatim. I wonder how much the royalties for their music costs?

Thanks S & L, I used to sit watching this film thinking that was the music from CDS but would convince myself that it was just similar :duh:. From memory the credits on all tech films, the ones I saw at least, stated that LRH wrote the music.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
These films have to be "timeless", but they re-shoot them every 20 years or so, which is also pretty funny. Will they use the new Mark VIII Ultra E-meters.

That's a good point. It would be a crucial decision. If they are sensible (yeah, yeah, I know) they'll shoot two versions of the relevant scenes. Don't they distribute the tech films on DVD now? If so, it would be really cheap to change versions when the Mark VIII Phuctum finally sees the light of day.

Actually, how *do* they show tech films these days? The last real one I saw was in 1995, and it was 16mm or something film in little plastic cassettes. DVD would be the obvious choice, as they could overlay subtitles in any of 392 languages including Braille at the touch of a button, and it would be *so* cheap to run off copies to send to the orgs as opposed to duplicating thousands of individual films (~100 orgs x ~20 films x ? languages). However, that ease of duplication would count against them in terms of pirate copies onto the Internet, and I haven't seen any online yet.

Paul

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Actually, how *do* they show tech films these days? The last real one I saw was in 1995, and it was 16mm or something film in little plastic cassettes. DVD would be the obvious choice, as they could overlay subtitles in any of 392 languages including Braille at the touch of a button, and it would be *so* cheap to run off copies to send to the orgs as opposed to duplicating thousands of individual films (~100 orgs x ~20 films x ? languages). However, that ease of duplication would count against them in terms of pirate copies onto the Internet, and I haven't seen any online yet.

They use flatscreens and DVDs, I'd gather. This photo of the upcoming Pasadena ideal org was posted on WWP recently:

4767331288_717797b06d.jpg

OTBT

Patron Meritorious
That's a good point. It would be a crucial decision. If they are sensible (yeah, yeah, I know) they'll shoot two versions of the relevant scenes. Don't they distribute the tech films on DVD now? If so, it would be really cheap to change versions when the Mark VIII Phuctum finally sees the light of day.

Paul

As far as I know, Tech films are still on 16 mm film; WWP thread has more info:

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/123-...nes-he-directed-produced-68412/3/#post1273368

Film is 16 mm. Projectors are custom. Subtitling system is custom.

Also,

http://www.sts1.com/examples.htm

Electronic Film Subtitling

STS redeveloped a unique film subtitling system for Golden Era Productions. Golden Era produces, among other things, public information and training films for the Church Of Scientology. Because of the international scope of the Church, Golden Era's films have to be translated into numerous languages. Holding extremely high audio-visual standards, these films are distributed on 16mm film, and delivered on customized, state-of-the-art 16mm film projectors. Each film had to be subtitled in the traditional fashion into many languages, and distributed world wide.

Wishing to reduce this production time, Golden Era developed a unique electronic subtitling system, in which an LED screen is mounted below the film screen. Translated text is sent to this screen, synchronized to the film's playback, in whatever language is needed, from an electronic source. Thus a single copy of the film could be produced, with electronic forms of subtitling being distributed with the film as needed.

This system worked well, but after a couple years needed revision to improve the quality for films with more dialog. STS performed this revision, using object-oriented design principles and Borland C++, as well as reviewing code used in the embedded controller for the display itself. This involved specialized timing constraints for synchronization, serial I/O, and special compression techniques.

The system is now in production and use across the world.

Your can read the client's testimonial on our work.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...hp/t-7967.html

Vancouver
02-14-2005, 04:54 PM
anyone ever heard of an Ideal_Lume plasma light? Apparently it provides ambient lighting around the screen thereby increasing the effect of black levels.

snake oil?

02-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Not snake oil.

The idea is that you want a light source that is very nearly 6500K in color temperature behind the screen. Having that ambient light reduces eye-strain because your eyes don't have to rapidly refocus when the image on the screen suddenly becomes very bright and the room lighting is still pitch black.

The Ideal Lume lights meet the 6500K color temp spec and some of the packages on their site also include various filters you can use to get the light 'right' for your particular environment.

The alternative to Ideal Lume would be to just buy your own light that is about 6500K, but IdealLume takes the guess work out by guaranteeing that is the correct color temperature.

Alan Brown
02-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Is this something that everyone is doing? if not why?

Not everyone uses this technique. I have first hand knowledge that some of those who do include: the Imaging Science Foundation; the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST); Industrial Light and Magic; Joe Kane Productions; THX, Ltd.; Universal Studios; CNET Labs; DisplayMate Technologies; Microsoft Corp.; Zombie Studios; Image Entertainment; Golden Era Productions; Electronic Arts; Runco, International; CinRam International; Efilm Digital Labs; Widescreen Review; Home Theater Magazine; HiFi Video Test Magazine; etc.

Why does everyone not do this? Mostly ignorance. The viewing environment and the viewer are two vital components in every video display system that are seldom sufficiently understood. This is true as much in the professional ranks as among consumers. The educational efforts of Joe Kane Productions and the Imaging Science Foundation have only made limited headway in the motion imaging industries.

Human perceptual characteristics, as they relate to electronic imaging, are not readily understood by many. However, image perception and viewing comfort are just as valid a part of a system's performance as any of the more familiar hardware specifications.

Viewing conditions can enhance or diminish the performance of any video display system.

The simple fact is, no video display can produce it's best image in anything other than a darkened viewing environment. Ambient light reflects off of even the best anti-glare TV screens. Light actually enters and travels throughout screen composition materials. Room lighting, insufficiently shaded windows and reflective surfaces in the room contaminate the picture being produced.

Darkening the viewing environment for most free-standing TVs will result in eyestrain. This is due to the overly bright displays in common use. Manufacturers know that the masses expect a reasonably watchable picture from their TV in a fully lit room. They build TVs to overcome high ambient lighting levels. The result is distorted pictures and very bright screens. Dark room viewing allows for better image reproduction but usually necessitates bias lighting to prevent viewing fatigue and eyestrain. The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) both specify that any ambient lighting used in critical video viewing environments be as close to CIE D65 as possible. They also recommend other viewing environment conditions but this post is getting too long as it is.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
<snip>
These films have to be "timeless", but they re-shoot them every 20 years or so, which is also pretty funny. Will they use the new Mark VIII Ultra E-meters. Let's hope they are the last ever E-Meters!

Anyway, sorry for the derail,

This thread is about Gilligan Island remake! :D

Must keep up to speed on the technical alterati.....errr advances. :eyeroll:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
As far as I know, Tech films are still on 16 mm film; WWP thread has more info:

Thanks very much. I read the WWP thread.

It's interested that they invest so much effort and money in reproductive fidelity, i.e., very high quality image and sound. And they do. As a Course Sup at ITO I often had to do Course Admin functions including showing the tech films, and it is high quality equipment, complete with special instructions on placement of special speakers and the construction of the film room itself with non-parallel walls (under the curtains) to avoid unwanted reflection.

What I now find funny is that the underlying tech, that they try so hard to reproduce faithfully, sucks!

Paul

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
Actually, how *do* they show tech films these days? Paul

When I was at Flag, and also at Sydney Org, film rooms were computerised. There was a touch pad outside the film room and the film I/C just entered the films code, with a choice of 15 languages (subtitles), and Bob's your uncle.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
When I was at Flag, and also at Sydney Org, film rooms were computerised. There was a touch pad outside the film room and the film I/C just entered the films code, with a choice of 15 languages (subtitles), and Bob's your uncle.

Oh! That's interesting. I guess then that they have a computer hooked up to a, dare I say it, off-the-shelf high-end digital projector. All Gold would need to do would be to ship off a hard drive to each org, and update it every now and then. Although they probably don't allow orgs to use any old computer.

Great, thanks very much. Moar info anyone? Come on, there must be some recent defectors. :)

Paul