What's new

Hot and Cold Running Servants

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
http://www.scientology-cult.com/how-and-cold-running-servants.html

Monday, 27 June 2011 08:36

By Lana Mitchell

The www.savescientology.com website documents, thoroughly, how LRH’s intent for corporate Scientology has been corrupted by one David Miscavige.

As additional information supporting this site, I wanted to document my knowledge of the personal service lines of David Miscavige. As a former RTC investigator I worked to “follow the money” (the trail of financial irregularities, personal favours, and persons receiving disproportional financial rewards) to find the criminal and the subverter. For those who are not familiar with the day-to-day service lines of the head of Scientology — this information may be new for you. For the many who have worked in and around this individual, I am sure there is much information I do not have, which can be added to confirm the significance and extent of the corruption. I start with a description of my own experiences as a Sea Org member, so that there is a comparison to the altogether different standard of Miscavige from Sea Org members, Scientologists and easily 95% of this planet.

Standard of Living

Sea Org members, are provided with lodging, food and a small sum of money on a weekly basis – and in exchange they work long hours, 7 days a week.

I was in the SO for 17 years. When I first arrived in 1989, weekly pay was $35. It was enough to cover basic hygiene supplies, vitamins, occasional canteen visits and then, if you really worked to save your money – enough to buy some Christmas presents for family at year end.

In the early 90’s the pay went to $50 a week, though in saying that, there were many weeks when the pay was cut by half or cut entirely. Also, it was routine that money was collected for senior executive birthday and Christmas presents (coming out of your pay before it was even handed to you).

In terms of food – it was basic. Often highly processed, often bland, and routinely not well cooked – but people put up with it. Sometimes it was just beans and rice, as the money was simply not there to properly feed the crew. But the crew put up with whatever the food is – as they are not there for the food – they are there for the higher purposes of the Sea Org.

Berthing in the Sea Org comes in all standards. When I first arrived in the SO, in Sydney in the late 80’s I recall vividly a cockroach infested kitchen, in an old damp and cold Sydney terrace house, with paint peeling, and a toilet that never stopped running.

In LA the berthing was not much better. I lived in the Hollywood Inn for several years in a tiny room with smelly carpet, a double bed and nothing else. The bathroom was barely working – with a toilet and bath/shower. At one point there was a leak in the ceiling above and the entire bathroom ceiling collapsed into the bathtub – and was not fixed for months.

I was lucky as I was promoted to the post of CO CMO PAC at one point, and was then able to move into the PAC Main Building – with a large corner room with my own bathroom. I actually felt a little awkward about the vast difference in quality and size of the room that came with the promotion.

When I was promoted to Int in 1993 I lived at Kirby, at Vista and even in one of the old houses that was opposite the G’s (near Sublet Road). These were all functional rooms. The furniture was stuff I had collected up over time – either for free or as hand-me-downs from others. The last house I lived in, when I was working in Gold on the Service lines for David Miscavige, was an old house that had had a meth lab under the house at one point. It had a garage full of rats, and myself and 3 others cleaned, scrubbed and then painted it so that we could live closer to the Int base and be able to work the additional late night hours without being stuck with no way to get home. We put up with the low standards as we wanted to do our posts well – as having to try to find a ride home at 3am was awful.

Standard of Royalty

Now all of the above is the reality that most Sea Org members have of food, berthing and pay. When it comes to David Miscavige however, the standard is altogether different.

First is pay. I do not have specifics on the exact amount that DM is paid on a weekly basis. I do know that when I was in RTC I was stunned to receive a Christmas bonus of over $3000. My senior and other RTC execs received much more – and I was told that this occurred every Christmas as if this was not done then DM’s own salary would look very strange to an outsider, being so much higher than the regular SO pay. The RTC staff received bonuses so that DM could continue to be paid his high salary.

I worked on the food service lines for DM for several years. Over $1000 a week was spent on food supplies for just DM and his wife Shelly. A full time chef, and an assistant chef, worked tirelessly to service the two in a way that most SO members would never believe.

DM eats every 2 hours. He has a specific low-fat diet, which requires constant monitoring of calorie-content of each dish, use of all possible low-fat ingredients, special low-fat cooking styles and methods, and all food must be the freshest and best quality available.

He gets up at midday and has breakfast at lunchtime. He is provided with a cooked breakfast daily, top of the line coffee and has the chef wait for as long as needed so that it is fresh cooked and plated up within minutes of him sitting down.

Lunch is provided within 2 ½ hours. Two choices for lunch are always made, and routinely, (before Shelly disappeared) two choices were made for her as well. That is four separate lunches for 2 people. Choices include home-made soups, Mexican food, Italian food, pizza, subway sandwiches with only the best and most expensive ingredients, and more. The Chef gets these meals together in the Galley and then returns to DM’s service area to personally keep the meals warm/fresh and to personally plate them up and see that they are well received. The Chef cannot return to the kitchen until this is done – and too many times to count, the Chef can wait for more than 2 hours while DM is in a meeting or otherwise engaged, only then to be told that DM decided to eat a protein bar and there will be no lunch served – and there is now only 1 hour till dinner is to be ready.

Dinner is a repeat of lunch – with at least 2 choices of dinner. Again, the meal has to be dished up/plated by the Chef, and only the freshest and most expensive ingredients are used. Chicken breast is the largest organic breasts available, delivered fresh. Vegetables are purchased from the local fresh markets, with a purchaser going specially to buy the needed fruit and vegetables and pay whatever price – regardless of season. Atlantic salmon is flown in from the US east coast or from Canada – fresh. Lamb is corn-fed from New Zealand. Steak is filet-mignon, and organic.

There is an evening snack delivered 2 hours after dinner. This is a repeat of lunch – however routinely lighter foods.

Then, there is a late night meal/snack that is put together and provided for after midnight. This is routinely a cheese and fruit platter, a platter of antipasto – all top of the line, best possible ingredients. Smooth goat’s cheese, mellow blue-vein, smoked gouda, aged-tasty cheeses – served with organic crackers. Presentation of all items is top of the line, with garnishes, fruit carvings and edible flowers -- you name it. DM stays up until around 3am and then get a cushy 8 – 9 hours sleep to emerge fresh at lunchtime each day (while the majority of staff around him have had far less).

There are full-time kitchen staff who perform these functions, and there are also anything from 1 – 3 full-time RTC stewards who act to coordinate the meals and do the actual food service.

All of the above is the regular run-of-the mill regular Sea Org production day for the DM royalty.

Now – where things start to really ramp up is when you get celebrations and guests. DM’s birthday is an extravaganza to behold. The food preparation is started a full 2 – 3 days in advance, and is based on a wish list, a theme and there are no expenses barred. The menu is plucked from 5-star restaurants and books, the ingredients are shipped in from across continents – and there is no limit to satisfy and impress. Fresh lobster was a regular item on the menu. Fresh live shrimp was also. The exclusive foi gras (duck liver) was a favourite, at huge cost. Truffles were another item that featured routinely. A guest such as TC results in similar levels of food creativity.

In the 3 years that I worked on these service lines, I saw it all. I worked my ass off to provide food service fit for royalty – and meanwhile, the crew around me (as well as myself) were eating food that routinely could not be sold if you tried.

Now berthing for the royalty is again, something most Sea Org members or public would not believe. DM has personal spaces at Gilman Hot Springs, in LA, at Flag, in the UK and on the Freewinds. Each has been designed and fitted out with top-of-the line furnishings – no expenses barred. Just recently the entirety of the Upper Villas at Int was turned into DM’s personal living spaces — enough space to berth 48 Sea Org members or 12 couples.

Living spaces for DM are on par with English royalty – and I suspect the standard of service he receives is even better. When I was working on these lines there were 2 full-time stewards responsible for cleaning, servicing and doing laundry. It was routinely a flap if DM put on some weight that his steward would be ordered to tailor his pants so that they were comfortable. All of his uniforms and clothes are hand-crafted by an LA tailor (Mr Lim), and he has a wardrobe that fills a room.

DM also has his own fleet of personal luxury cars/motorcycles, and if there is any expensive personal item that DM does NOT personally own or has not purchased, then he is sure to receive as a personal gift from the thousands of Sea Org members who are forced to propitiate to him every birthday and every Christmas, with lavish gifts of high value.

So.... what does parishioner’s money buy in the Church of Scientology? Answer = hot and cold running servants for David Miscavige and a lifestyle fit for a king.

Parishioner’s money was intended by LRH to go to the forwarding of Scientology – not forwarding the personal living standards of the person at the top. LRH never lived as David Miscavige does – and that alone shows how far this has gone from the ideal scene.

Scientology is a not-for-profit organisation. Not only does Miscavige violate basic Scientology tenets, policy and principles with the above – he is also violating the law of the land CORPORATELY, both in the US, in the UK and in many, many other countries of the world.

I invite you to visit www.savescientology.com and compare the above with the documents there.

Lana Mitchell

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Hopefully all this lavish living will make his future cell sharing with "Bubba" all that more unbearable. :biggrin:

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Can't see anything in there that would indicate David Miscavige is behaving any more outlandishly than L Ron Hubbard ? ?

freethinker

Sponsor
The above IS a criminal activity that could be reported.

It definitely violates IRS non-profit organiztion laws.

Like the new Avatar BTW.

Sindy

Crusader
If anyone has any slightest doubt of whether they should get a refund, this should make the scam very clear. Keep the refund requests coming, please. This guy's life line is being severely cut. It's only a matter of time. What a creep.

Jump

Operating teatime
If anyone has any slightest doubt of whether they should get a refund, this should make the scam very clear. Keep the refund requests coming, please. This guy's life line is being severely cut. It's only a matter of time. What a creep.

Today's wordclear: 'Inurement'

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
A quick scan of online articles about inurement and "private benefit" makes this seem problematic to me, though. "Reasonable compensation" to executives does NOT count as inurement. The problem is what level of compensation counts as "reasonable" in this case. IA, as they say, NAL. But this sounds tricky to me. It seems that there have been very few cases of revocation of tax-exempt status on grounds of private inurement. So there probably isn't much clear precedent.

Miscavige seems to be living like a CEO of a major corporation. But is it clear that this is "unreasonable"? Scientology is a large organization, at least in terms of assets managed. If a major charity tells me that they need a very sharp manager to keep them efficient, and that they're just not going to get such a person to work for too small a fraction of what they could be making in a private company, then I might have to agree that paying executive-level salary is a wise use of non-profit resources.

I mean, if the Church of Scientology were saving millions of lives each year by feeding the hungry or vaccinating children in the Third World, and David Miscavige had personally made a lot of that happen, then I wouldn't begrudge him his chef, non-profit status or not. Rightly or wrongly, American law doesn't seem to distinguish between charitable activities like that, and intangible religious benefits conferred on members of a particular faith. So if the CofS swears that Miscavige is worth it, I'm not sure it's going to be easy for anyone to prove that his compensation is unreasonable.

And keep in mind that Miscavige himself is not tax-exempt. He has presumably been declaring his income, including the value of benefits he receives from the church, like free lavish meals and laundry and housing, all this time. (He'd be stupid not to, since he can pay any amount of tax just by raising his own salary, and getting nailed for tax evasion would be catastrophic.) So the IRS presumably knows exactly what he's been getting.

Plus the CofS is no naive innocent when it comes to dealing with the IRS. It went through the wringer big time back in the 80's, with court cases over private inurement. They know the rules, and I expect that they know what they can get away with.

I'd be delighted to hear otherwise from anyone with better legal knowledge. But this situation has been going on for a long time, and the IRS hasn't done anything so far. If it were such an open-and-shut case, I think they would have.

T

TheSneakster

Can't see anything in there that would indicate David Miscavige is behaving any more outlandishly than L Ron Hubbard ? ?

Lana Mitchell said:
Parishioner’s money was intended by LRH to go to the forwarding of Scientology – not forwarding the personal living standards of the person at the top. LRH never lived as David Miscavige does – and that alone shows how far this has gone from the ideal scene.

One cannot see who will not look.

Ron Hubbard's frugal living has been confirmed by a great many other ex-staff who were in a position to know, including Janis Grady and Steve "Sarge" Pfauth

Veda

Sponsor

Ron Hubbard's frugal living has been confirmed by a great many other ex-staff who were in a position to know, including Janis Grady and Steve "Sarge" Pfauth

Money-getting was very important to Hubbard, but he was on the run from 1966 onward, when he left his estate at St. Hill Manor. Whatever his adoring minions may say, Hubbard had his expensive perks, but stashed his loot away.

Hubbard was frightened of having to stand before a judge in a courtroom and accept responsibility for any of the many crimes he ordered, so he really couldn't enjoy his treasure to the full extent.

Read Hubbard's 'Excalibur' statement of 1938. It wasn't about luxurious living, it was about power over others, and "smashing" his "name into history." His self-described "real goal" was the antithesis of anything spiritual. He was on an ego trip. The Church of Scientology and the still "zapped" outside-the-CofS-Scientologists are his fan club; the Orgs are his monuments; and the steel plates buried in the desert are the "hard granite" through which "personal immortality is only to be gained."

The essence of this ego-trip was that his name "survive" for a very long time.

Miscavige is on his own ego trip but he'll always only be Hubbard's disciple and, as of this writing, Miscavige has not yet reached Hubbard's level of paranoia.

BunnySkull

Oh Please, you must be blind or only listen to Sarge's heartwarming propaganda on Marty's blog to form your opinions.

LRH having a messenger in white hotpants on hand at all times just TO HOLD HIS ASHTRAY always seemed way over the top to me. Oh, and how about having to hand wash LRH's clothes 5 or 6 times in a row (or more) because it didn't pass LRH's "smell test" and he thought he detected the fainest trace of a soap smell. (Old coot couldn't probably smell anything after smoking 3 packs a day for 40 years) Even that beats Davey boy in a lot of ways.

The only stories about LRH living even a little bit "frugally" are from his days as an old man on the run when he knew outlandish spending and luxuries would attract attention. You can only live so well when you have to travel in a camper to avoid your tax bills. When he was on the Apollo there are plenty of stories about LRH (and his family) always having fresh milk and eating the best steaks, while the rest of the crew ate crap food.

Just the other day on Marty's blog Metaequal posted this:
When Milton finished his next film “Butterflies are Free”, it was shown to all the crew. We took buses into Lisbon and LRH took a limo with his family. The aides tooks taxis. It was like a head of state going to one of the best opera-style movie houses prevalent in Portugal.

Yeah, real frugal.

Mystic

Crusader
Na. L. Ron Hubbard, now dead and gone artificial entity, though seemingly living a "frugal" life-style was not anywhere near "frugal". He surrounded himself with suitcases of cash for that quick get-away which was apt to again come at any moment.

This shade projection of a being, loaded with money compulsions, once the entity got money, it had no idea what to do with it other than hide.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Na. L. Ron Hubbard, now dead and gone artificial entity, though seemingly living a "frugal" life-style was not anywhere near "frugal". He surrounded himself with suitcases of cash for that quick get-away which was apt to again come at any moment.

This shade projection of a being, loaded with money compulsions, once the entity got money, it had no idea what to do with it other than hide.

Yes, cash was the nearest thing to a God for him. It's been said that he used to like to fondle it.

Wisened One

Crusader
Disgusting (the OP about DM's lavish daily lifestyle). Scn's would read this and think either, he 'deserves' that way of living, and/or that it is a lie. :no: :faceslap: :eyeroll:

Minimally: I can't WAIT to see DM live both as a lowly, bean and rice-eating prisoner, one day soon, and/or as a homeless, BUM on the street!!!!!!!! :angry:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
If he's eating every two hours, chain smoking, and hitting the scotch the way people say he does, eventually his liver is going to say bye bye COB.

SpecialFrog

A quick scan of online articles about inurement and "private benefit" makes this seem problematic to me, though. "Reasonable compensation" to executives does NOT count as inurement. The problem is what level of compensation counts as "reasonable" in this case. IA, as they say, NAL. But this sounds tricky to me. It seems that there have been very few cases of revocation of tax-exempt status on grounds of private inurement. So there probably isn't much clear precedent.

Miscavige seems to be living like a CEO of a major corporation. But is it clear that this is "unreasonable"? Scientology is a large organization, at least in terms of assets managed. If a major charity tells me that they need a very sharp manager to keep them efficient, and that they're just not going to get such a person to work for too small a fraction of what they could be making in a private company, then I might have to agree that paying executive-level salary is a wise use of non-profit resources.

I mean, if the Church of Scientology were saving millions of lives each year by feeding the hungry or vaccinating children in the Third World, and David Miscavige had personally made a lot of that happen, then I wouldn't begrudge him his chef, non-profit status or not. Rightly or wrongly, American law doesn't seem to distinguish between charitable activities like that, and intangible religious benefits conferred on members of a particular faith. So if the CofS swears that Miscavige is worth it, I'm not sure it's going to be easy for anyone to prove that his compensation is unreasonable.

And keep in mind that Miscavige himself is not tax-exempt. He has presumably been declaring his income, including the value of benefits he receives from the church, like free lavish meals and laundry and housing, all this time. (He'd be stupid not to, since he can pay any amount of tax just by raising his own salary, and getting nailed for tax evasion would be catastrophic.) So the IRS presumably knows exactly what he's been getting.

Plus the CofS is no naive innocent when it comes to dealing with the IRS. It went through the wringer big time back in the 80's, with court cases over private inurement. They know the rules, and I expect that they know what they can get away with.

I'd be delighted to hear otherwise from anyone with better legal knowledge. But this situation has been going on for a long time, and the IRS hasn't done anything so far. If it were such an open-and-shut case, I think they would have.

My understanding is that there are a few things that are looked at to determine if compensation is reasonable.

One of them is other salaries within the organization. Given the Sea Org salaries this looks problematic, though clearly they try to fudge this with random bonuses once in a while.

Another is the qualifications of the individual. Clearly if you need someone to run a billion-dollar non-profit you have to expect to pay the salary that people with experience doing so command. However, Miscavige hasn't even finished high school and would not be able to command that benefit level anywhere else, so this looks off from that perspective.

Another is salary paid in like enterprises. Depending on how a court interpreted this, you could see what compensation was like for a religious organization with forty-thousand members.

Finally, if Miscavige himself determines his compensation level that's a potential flag.

And really, it seems the IRS has generally decided not to engage in any oversight of the Church of Scientology so I wouldn't take their present lack of action as an indication that it is all in order.

Some interesting info here:

http://www.federaltaxissues.com/0300_private/0310_private_principles.php

Section 315 particularly, though depending on Miscavige's effective control over suspected off-shore assets there might be other bits that apply as well.