Thread: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

Default Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

Quote Originally Posted by lkwdblds View Post
    I think you make some good points but IMO may have over generalized a bit. I don't fully agree that music exists only when it is being played unless that includes it being played in a person's mind as well as in the physical universe.

Also, there are those who study musical scores and get pleasure and understanding from reading a non played score.

As far as it existing independently of it's creator, I agree only in part. I believe if one knows the history of how the music came into being, the composer's life story and struggles, the state of music in the time and place where it was introduced, etc. one can get more enjoyment out of the music. BTW, this is at least as true for popular music as for classical.

Also, your comment about existing independently of its creator is not always the case in modern times what with copyright laws, etc. If someone owns the legal rights to the music, they can control its being played and being marketed. If such an owner wanted to they could keep a musical score from being played.

Things of this nature have happened in film making. The owners of film rights for a specific movie can and have banned showing of that film for decades.
    Lakey
    How many times has one to be a live - but small - performance where ,say , an extremely talented player will do B.B. King almost better than B.B. King ? I Have. The music is, of course, copyrighted but the performer will do it for himself or a few freiends............surely many music lovers have seen that.

Also, some people hearing a classical piece for the first time may have NO CLUE who wrote it, have no idea it was Mozart or Beethoven ( not everyone grows up with classical music! ). Does that music not exist independant of the composer for that particular listener ?

And, OMG, do I have to know it was the London Philharmonic that played it ?
    Does that music not exist for me entirely separtae from not knowing which orcherstra gave that performance ? ( Nevermind who the guest conductor was! )

What if I don't know who was first violin ? Again, does that mean that music does not still exist for me ?

Music exists at the time one hears a performance of it without knowing who wrote the piece, who played the piece or the names of the principal players or conductor.
    Well, unless one considers when I turn on my radio and there is a piece being played that I do not know who wrote it, who did the lyrics, who played it ( hell, maybe even what studio it was recorded in! ) that it does not exist until I know all that.

No one this thread is widely read. It is ribald humor !

And, I sort of find it more than funny for someone to think for a long dead composer personal preferences would be for an instrument of this choice rather than that choice!

Most great creators would tend to want the best possible presentation of their work but surely each would be allowed their own preference in that. Sheesh.

Would Shakespeare reject modern stage lightings and PA systems as not being "period "? Wonder what he'd think of flying sets, eh ?

" Insist on yourself ; never imitate ".
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

" Nothing is as at last scared but the integrity of your own mind "
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default A Time Machine to Late 18th Century Music?

This performance is about the closest possible that one can come to watching and hearing a late 18th century piano and orchestra performance live:

Robert Levin is playing the 1785-1790 type of 5 octave piano and all of the orchestral pieces are also from that period as well. Check out the French Horns! There are no valves and the players have to create notes through usage of their lips plus moving their hands around inside the bell of the horn.

That piano is surprisingly good! It appears to be a very advanced action for it's time period. It is very different from a modern piano. It lacks in some areas but it seems to make up for is deficiencies in other areas. The sound it makes is a bit similar to that of a harp.

Lakey
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take someone else's money."
    -Thomas Sowell

3. Thanks FoTi says "thank you" for this post
    Likes FoTi liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron

No one dispuits that music played on original instruments can be lovely and inspiring. It is a jooy to hear.

But that in no way negates the thrill of hearing Bach being adapted by Busoni for the piano.
    Standard tech is a subset of LRH tech. LRH tech is a subset of freezone tech. Freezone tech is a subset of all possible tech. - Pilot

I think that the future lies in understanding and developing the capabilities of the mind and spirit. I might sometimes loosely call this Scientology, but I don't mean the CofS. I mean anything which works in this direction, which would even include you if you ever achieve real wisdom. - Pilot

5. Thanks lkwdblds says "thank you" for this post

Default Re: A Time Machine to Late 18th Century Music?

Quote Originally Posted by lkwdblds View Post
    This performance is about the closest possible that one can come to watching and hearing a late 18th century piano and orchestra performance live:

Robert Levin is playing the 1785-1790 type of 5 octave piano and all of the orchestral pieces are also from that period as well. Check out the French Horns! There are no valves and the players have to create notes through usage of their lips plus moving their hands around inside the bell of the horn.

That piano is surprisingly good! It appears to be a very advanced action for it's time period. It is very different from a modern piano. It lacks in some areas but it seems to make up for is deficiencies in other areas. The sound it makes is a bit similar to that of a harp.

Lakey
    LUV IT!!!!!!
    MY STORY FROM INSIDE SCIENTOLOGY: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthrea...-Ups-and-Downs

"Scientology is essentially a spy and mind-control network set up to extract the most money it can from itís members as well as to enforce the maximum amount of production out of each individual, at minimal or no cost to the organization. Itís as simple as that." - John Peeler

7. Thanks lkwdblds says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    No one dispuits that music played on original instruments can be lovely and inspiring. It is a jooy to hear.

But that in no way negates the thrill of hearing Bach being adapted by Busoni for the piano.
    With you Bro!

I see you also have evil transcriptionists and editors.

I expect the spell check process handles that. Sadly I'm at a lower level. :(

But then, ...... I think this bach Busoni transcription is Bach's greatest testament.

Currently, and under the influence of the georgeous Helene I even find it greater than the "Art of Fugue".

This is really HARD. For hundreds of years it was considered merely an intellectual effort. An exersise not really music to be listened to.

Ho!

Just searched U-tube and have found my favorite version where Lional Rogg completes the final 4 part fugue!

Years ago asked the record company if they would release it on CD and they said there were problems including London underground trains being too noisy.

Gird your loins. You need to enjoy!

And Emma but not for you I would never have found this earlier dream
    of mine.

Gold Meritorious Patron

The Keller Quartet remains my all time favourite for this.

And for Beethoven Symphonies the recordings done back in the late 1950's by Bruno Walter with the Columbia Orchestra have never ever been equalled.
    Standard tech is a subset of LRH tech. LRH tech is a subset of freezone tech. Freezone tech is a subset of all possible tech. - Pilot

I think that the future lies in understanding and developing the capabilities of the mind and spirit. I might sometimes loosely call this Scientology, but I don't mean the CofS. I mean anything which works in this direction, which would even include you if you ever achieve real wisdom. - Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    The Keller Quartet remains my all time favourite for this.

And for Beethoven Symphonies the recordings done back in the late 1950's by Bruno Walter with the Columbia Orchestra have never ever been equalled.
    Never heard of the Keller Quartet. But there's some on U-tube.
    Very interesting!

I very much like Herman Scherchen with orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by Terril park View Post
    Never heard of the Keller Quartet. But there's some on U-tube.
    Very interesting!

I very much like Herman Scherchen with orchestra.

When it comes to Bach and new music one of the greatest Is
    Herman Schershen

Blog Entries

duplicate
    Last edited by Hatshepsut; 15th April 2012 at 06:16 AM.
    " In this universe there is an immeasurable, indescribable force which shamans call intent, and absolutely everything that exists in the entire cosmos is attached to intent by a connecting link"___Carlos Castaneda

Blog Entries

That sounded 'tinny' tony ear and I found myself waxing sentimental in the end. It kind of brought to mind the sublime joy I luxuriated in towards the end of this film. Director Peter Weir used the music of Boccherini in his epic film about 1805 fictional hero Captain Aubry.

I know the one is really simplistic compared to the skills of the other but I just love this.
    Last edited by Hatshepsut; 15th April 2012 at 06:25 AM.
    " In this universe there is an immeasurable, indescribable force which shamans call intent, and absolutely everything that exists in the entire cosmos is attached to intent by a connecting link"___Carlos Castaneda

Page 1460 of 1978 FirstFirst ... 145014511452145314541455145614571458145914601461146214631464146514661467146814691470 ... LastLast