Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my story

Default my story

My involvement with scientology is not as involved or painful to hear as a lot of others on this site. I do, however, feel that my story reinforces what everyone else has said... that Scientology is a cult.

I decided to take a few courses and do the purif in my last year of law school. I had just had a bad breakup, my family was in a rough spot because my brother was diagnosed with a serious illness (mental), and I was up for trying anyhting new that would distract me from these realities.

I tried it because I wanted to see what it was about for myself. In all honesty, everyone was really nice to me, and I thought it was interesting.

However, when I realized that the purif was too much for me to handle, I decided to stop doing it. THey hounded me trying to figure out why, wouldnt respect my decision to quit it because I was worried about my health, etc. In addition, school starteed getting really intense, so I had to stop doing the courses... which they were not happy about.

Instead of just respecting my decision to take time off, they called me EVERY DAY, sent me mail (still do), despite me asking politely several times to stop. They couldn't understand that perhaps I wanted to do well in school instead of spending more time at the church.

I don't think I would be as upset with them if they had just respected my wishes. However, since they continuously hound me to buy more books, take more courses, etc., and completely ignore every effort I have made to clearly show I am no longer interested, I am furious, annoyed, and would like to make it clear to the world that this IS a cult.

They only want your money. They don't take no for an answer. THey basically try to wear you down until you give in.

I am on this board because I want to show others that they arer not alone, even if they didn't grow up in scientology, it doesn't mean they still weren't taken advantage of and harassed.

Anyhow, I am glad that I finally got my head on straight and joined this board. I am waiting for my bar results right now, and my main goal is to help bring them down once I pass the bar. (mostly because I do not think they qulify for the tax exemption. Did you know there was a lawsuit about this, and it was found that LRH embezzled money from the church, used church funds for himself, etc? He was a criminal).

If there are any legal concerns regarding protests or ANYTHING, please let me know and I will help as much as I can. i want to get involved in getting the message out about them and how they take advantage of people in vulnerable positions...

I am glad to be a part of the community and look forward to getting involved if I can.

Wow, what an intro, Raegan Youth! Thank you for sharing it with us, and to ESMB!

Yeah, they think they're actually trying to *help you* by harassing people with daily calls and letters like that, (I know, I used to have to do it, too) Can you say Telemarketers of the Spiritual Kind? (More like of the Scam Kind, lol).

Glad you stopped and held to your own guns, like that!

Good Luck on passing your Bar, too!

Michelle
    Last edited by Wisened One; 17th March 2009 at 07:30 PM.
    The night I escaped Staff:
    http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost....2&postcount=33

I get really tired of hearing about how the lower bridge has value. The lower bridge has the sole purpose of getting the PC to reach for more bridge. The fact that many people improved their circumstances as a result of a good intentioned auditor being interested and caring about his PC is not worth the long term and intended result of Scientology technology. GT

Silver Meritorious Patron DCAnon's Avatar

Legal Ex Vs The Cult. :D I am intrigued!

Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome to ESMB!!

Thanks for your story. Sounds like you made the correct choice. So many of us ended up with little to show for supporting the cult.
    I'm glad you kept going with school. And thanks for the offer of help.

Gold Meritorious Patron EP - Ethics Particle's Avatar

Arrow Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ReaganYouth View Post
    My involvement with scientology is not as involved or painful to hear as a lot of others on this site. I do, however, feel that my story reinforces what everyone else has said... that Scientology is a cult.

...snip...

I am glad to be a part of the community and look forward to getting involved if I can.
    And we are very glad and appreciative of your presence here!

EP
    "Chastise the scoundrels, unmask the charlatans, and tutor the unschooled mob."

Gold Meritorious Patron Tiger Lily's Avatar

Reaganyouth!

Smart move to get out early and not let them intimidate you! I experienced the same thing, but believed them when they said it was because I was a special thetan and they just wanted the best for me.

I thing you'll be a great lawyer. Hope those bar results come soon so you can get to work!!

So glad you're here

-TL

Default Welcome Reagan Youth

Great first posting! It sounds like you found out the truth quickly and didn't hesitate to make your decision. And now you want to DO something about it! Excellent!
    Glad to have you "on board with the rest of us". An added bonus is that now you have that "fixed dedicated glare" (quotes from KSW) to stop the duration of this cult!!
    Love your screen name btw!

Infinity is thought held by an ageless spirit

Banned

...I decided to take a few [scn] courses...
    ...in my last year of law school...
    How was it that you "decided" to take some scn courses, how did you become aware of scn in the first place, do you think you were you targeted because of your interest in "law"? What about your professors, your class mates, were they involved with scn, was this the sort of thing you discussed with them or was the subject off limits?

Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar

I am waiting for my bar results right now, and my main goal is to help bring them down once I pass the bar.
    Heh. Welcome indeed.

Can you say what country you are in?

Paul
    PaulsRobot Iconic now available for use at www.PaulsRobot2.com. With Auto-Report. Video here. Introductory post here. Debug post here. Dipoles post here.

Gold Meritorious Patron HappyGirl's Avatar

RY! Boy, is your first post intriguing! Since you talk about passing the bar, it sounds like you live in the US? (Do they "pass the bar" across the pond?) I would love to know which state you took the bar for? But will understand if you are uncomfortable revealing details like this on the board. Meanwhile, I can see it will be very interesting to have you around!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast