Thread: Help getting my dad out

Default Help getting my dad out

Hi! I guess it's presumptuous of me to assume my father would be happier out of the cult (as an adamant therapist has warned me...) but after what Scientology has put us through, surely anything, even a complete lack of faith must be better.

In about a week I'll be staying with my dad while I attend school. This will be the first time seeing him in two-and-a-half years since he kicked my bed-ridden mom out of his house after she was declared. Surprisingly, he's an OK dude, but the church uses him like a puppet.

He's been on staff since he was 19 (he's 47 now) and though he's put over 200,000 dollars into the church, he's not even clear.

I was wondering if anyone has had success in getting folks out. We talked last night, and he mentioned having trouble getting someone to read on the meter and the C/S just tells him to "make it go right," and he thinks it's dumb that the org switched him from VM I/C to TTC because he was GOOD at his old post.

Woo, doubt, right!? So now what? I listened patiently, let him blow some steam, but I dunno what to do now. He's unhappy, and I just don't want to see him die thinking that he wasn't OT enough to get up the bridge. Also, I doubt I have much time before I get declared due to how vocal I am now...I lost him to Scn too many times in my life, I think this is my last chance.

Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe you could tell him about the latest IAS campaign to get new people to look up Scientology on the Internet and ask him if he has read about Scn on the Internet. You don't have to direct him to the CofS sites.

Paul
    Stress-release sessions free of charge available 24/7 from PaulsRobot3, exactly personalized. E.g., address "My abusive Uncle David." Download to your own computer or use online. No cost to you at all. One zip file contains the whole lot: 7612 files, 327 MB, 29 session modules, HTML web pages and mp3s only, no javascript, no executable programs. Mostly non-Scn. Download the latest zip file here: http://paulsrobot.com/zips/PaulsRobo...2014-03-09.zip.

Gold Meritorious Patron

Woo.. is right DT.

I think the answer so much lays in your last paragraph. Whatever you do, make sure you let him know how much you care for his happiness.

Him having been in for 28 years and being on staff, has probably seen and thought about many of the 'things that are not right' and if you told him that if he wanted to get another job, you would support that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Turnip View Post
    Hi! I guess it's presumptuous of me to assume my father would be happier out of the cult (as an adamant therapist has warned me...) but after what Scientology has put us through, surely anything, even a complete lack of faith must be better.

In about a week I'll be staying with my dad while I attend school. This will be the first time seeing him in two-and-a-half years since he kicked my bed-ridden mom out of his house after she was declared. Surprisingly, he's an OK dude, but the church uses him like a puppet.

He's been on staff since he was 19 (he's 47 now) and though he's put over 200,000 dollars into the church, he's not even clear.

I was wondering if anyone has had success in getting folks out. We talked last night, and he mentioned having trouble getting someone to read on the meter and the C/S just tells him to "make it go right," and he thinks it's dumb that the org switched him from VM I/C to TTC because he was GOOD at his old post.

Woo, doubt, right!? So now what? I listened patiently, let him blow some steam, but I dunno what to do now. He's unhappy, and I just don't want to see him die thinking that he wasn't OT enough to get up the bridge. Also, I doubt I have much time before I get declared due to how vocal I am now...I lost him to Scn too many times in my life, I think this is my last chance.

Gold Meritorious Patron

Oh Paul

You are sneaky, but you know what, that is a great idea. My trip to the internet is what got me out after being in about 35 years.

The answer certainly lies in the area of being able to look anywhere.

That leads to full and open communication which the COS does not want.

Go DT, I am sure you have the best wishes of all of us on this board

Hi! I guess it's presumptuous of me to assume my father would be happier out of the cult (as an adamant therapist has warned me...) but after what Scientology has put us through, surely anything, even a complete lack of faith must be better. [snip]
    I'd suggest not doing anything until you get there. You'll have better chances with real live face to face communication. And he won't then have a reason to say you can't come. Pauls idea is good, but
    he is very likely to have been indoctrinated that the internet is full of
    " entheta". If he says something along those lines ask "Why has the COS got so many websites then?"

Also many leave COS when they find they can do scientology in the Freezone with better tech people than inside COS. And no abuse. The
    " Freezone success stories " thread has many success stories including the
    previously top COS field auditor, Flags previous top class XII and the likes of
    Ken Urquhart who was LRH's personal assistant for a decade or so.

Then there is Ferals excellent letter for those still in which you can find on this board.

I think any attempt to manipulate him would be a bad thing (tm). I think just demonstrating your life being successful and happy without the Church would give him a solid option. Discuss things truthfully and rationally from your viewpoint, understand his viewpoint, and don't use emotional pleas: those will be seen as you not being in control of yourself, rather than as valid positions.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Have confidence in his ability to see the truth: you do, and you are essentially a replica of him.

Sounds to me like you did the right thing...just listening to him...that makes you his friend, right? Doesn't sound like the C/S or the org is listening to him.

I understand you don't want him to be unhappy, but isn't it by being unhappy and dissatisfied with the situation that people tend to wake up and leave?

If he's only 47, do you have some reason to think he's gong to die unhappy anytme soon?

How busy is the org where he works? Is it expanding or shrinking? Does it look like it will be out of business anytime soon?

Patron with Honors Been Done Had's Avatar

I wouldn't push it, but try and plant little seed.

Ask him is his purpose is to do the bridge or simply be a member of CofS in its CURRENT form.

Ask him why LRH material is being revised after his death.

Ask him if the current emphasis on Ideal Org and IAS are in exchange.

Let him know the bridge as LRH intented when he was alive is available.

It's tough because your father has invested his life in the church. Maybe you could simply ask; "You've given your life to the church, has the church delivered what it has promised?"

Good luck!
    Being human is an honor not a crime.