Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334

Thread: Australians in Scientology

Default Re: Australians in Scientology

Jon Martinsen died about a week or two ago. He would've been around 86 years old. A long time resident of Newtown, N.S.W. It was always good to see him walking along King St.

2. Thanks scooter, Free to shine, Panda Termint says "thank you" for this post

I underestimated Jon Martinsen's age in the previous message. He was born in 1924, making him 91, or close to it, at the time of his recent death.

His funeral will be held tomorrow, Wednesday, Sept. 9th, at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Bedford St., Newtown, from 1pm to 2pm. His burial will be at the Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Camden Valley Way, Leppington, at 3.15pm.

4. Thanks oneonewasaracecar says "thank you" for this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron scooter's Avatar

John was a lovely man at all times when I knew him. And a very great artist. I had him as a student in the Academy for several years until he left with the Great Exodus after 1983.

Paul David Schofield
    "Scooter" to his friends

-----
    If he has no friends and everyone's against him
    If he's failed in everything that he has tried
    Try to lift his load, help to bear his burden
    Let him know that you are walking by his side
    And if he feels that all is lost and he is fallen
    Try to place that poor man's feet on solid ground
    Just remember he's some mother's precious darlin'
    Always lift him up and never knock him down

Blind Alfred Reed

-----

6. Likes oneonewasaracecar, Rock Slam liked this post

Jon Martinsen's obituary from his funeral service leaflet:

"John Martensen was born on the 22nd of September, 1924, at Collingwood Hospital in Victoria. His father was an engineer who emigrated from Norway. His mother was said to be very beautiful.

"Tragically, John's parents died in a car accident when he was 5 years old. Unable to live with his grandmother John spent 8 years at an orphanage in Geelong. In 1942 John enlisted in the Australian Airforce by overstating his age. He served off the coast of Papua New Guinea, reporting on the movement of enemy warships. After the war John worked on the Snowy Mountains hydroelectric project. Living in Melbourne, John chanced upon a book featuring the artwork and writings of Rosaleen Norton. He was inspired to move to Sydney and become a painter and lived in Woolloomooloo during the 1960s, later in Newtown. In 1996 John moved into the Alpha House artists' co-operative at its new location in Erskineville.

"With his wit and wisdom and indomitable spirit John made a wonderful and welcome contribution to his community and to the streets of Newtown. He will be fondly remembered."

Here Jon is everywhere referred to as 'John Martensen.' In Scientology I'm sure he was known as 'Jon Martinsen.' Which is the correct rendering I do not know. Perhaps both are correct but at different times.

One of the speakers at the funeral said that in his final months Jon became very apprehensive about death and felt that hell was reaching out for him. This caused him to become involved in the Catholic Church of his childhood, and from this he apparently derived some peace. He had an easy death, attended to by his many compatriots-in-art at the artists' colony.

His pall-bearers were all young women from the artists' colony. His coffin was of a plain construction, painted turquoise, with all manner of messages and symbols painted on it, one of which read, "From clay to clay."

8. Thanks Panda Termint, scooter says "thank you" for this post
    Likes dchoiceisalwaysrs liked this post

Thanks for posting that, Rock Slam. Jon was a wonderful character when I knew him in the 70s. I'm glad that he's at peace now.
    Dave Gibbons - Sydney, Australia.
    I don't believe everything I read on the Internet.
    I do believe everything I write.

10. Likes scooter, RogerB, Rock Slam liked this post

TTC Sydney (early 80s)

I was in the TTC in Sydney Org. It was around 1982 or thereabouts. The place was full of young, enthusiastic staff with the best intentions from around Australia. I have often wondered what happened to them, and if any are still in.

I have fond memories of that part of my life ... even though the following years of the Ethics Missions, were nothing but living a nightmare.

Is anyone here from that time?

12. Thanks ForLease says "thank you" for this post
    Likes enturbulator, oneonewasaracecar liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ex.member.hooray View Post
    TTC Sydney (early 80s)

I was in the TTC in Sydney Org. It was around 1982 or thereabouts. The place was full of young, enthusiastic staff with the best intentions from around Australia. I have often wondered what happened to them, and if any are still in.

I have fond memories of that part of my life ... even though the following years of the Ethics Missions, were nothing but living a nightmare.

Is anyone here from that time?
    Yeah I was a young enthusiastic Syd Day staff member in the early eighties.

Default Re: Sydney faces circa 1973 ....and me, coming out

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysandwich View Post
    Dug up some old photos of some friends from back in Sydney.
    Back row Left to right: William Holman with Vivienne Deyes (Later Vivienne Lowe),Margaret Tidy, Noel O'Donnell, Sue O'Donnell, Andy Milne, Irenie Sanderson, Peter Zimmatore, (can't remember), Cyril Holman, (Cyril's wife), Alan Wright and child.

Front Row Left to Right: Ian Lazenby, Natasha Cramey, John Brownlee (me), Erin Wright (nee O'Donnell then later Milne) and child
    ! (-_-|
    Last edited by nahatsu; 16th March 2017 at 10:45 AM.

15. Thanks Free to shine, scooter says "thank you" for this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron scooter's Avatar

Default Re: Sydney faces circa 1973 ....and me, coming out

Quote Originally Posted by nahatsu View Post
    |
    Welcome to ESMB - we quite probably know each other from those days !!!

Glad you could find us here.
    Last edited by Moderator 3375; 17th March 2017 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Personal info edited. M3375
    Paul David Schofield
    "Scooter" to his friends

-----
    If he has no friends and everyone's against him
    If he's failed in everything that he has tried
    Try to lift his load, help to bear his burden
    Let him know that you are walking by his side
    And if he feels that all is lost and he is fallen
    Try to place that poor man's feet on solid ground
    Just remember he's some mother's precious darlin'
    Always lift him up and never knock him down

Blind Alfred Reed

-----

Shiny Free Crusader Free to shine's Avatar

A funny thing, just last night I had a wander through Facebook looking up people I knew in Sydney and Melbourne all those years ago. It's a very long time since I felt any real interest in those times, places and people and it wasn't really a happy wander. Some people in Melbourne seem to have survived better than others, seeing their children grown, grand-babies and businesses, seeing who is still friends with who was really interesting though. Melbourne always was very clique driven and I can see that hasn't changed. I had a good long think about my role back then, how I fitted in, or mostly didn't, and a bit of sadness at the loss of the social life that drove all our connections back then, lightweight as it was.

Because the truth is that we could never really all be friends. People would get reported at the drop of a hat though if one of the inner circle was in trouble there did tend to be a bit of wagon circling unless it became too personal.

I can only hope that some day some of those past friends of mine wander this way. Seeing how entrenched they are in the way of life though, I doubt it. Tomorrow I'll post some old photos I have, I may have put some up before and they are no doubt lost in a decade's worth of posts.
    My Story - Becoming Free to Shine
    QUOTE OF THE YEAR: "I wasn't aware that a documentary (on scientology) was coming out but I'll be sure to not watch it." A Scientologist

18. Likes RogerB, dchoiceisalwaysrs liked this post
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334