Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Nicknames

Default Stupid Nicknames

Flubbtard, Scilon, $cientrollogy... we've got a million of them, but is it helpful?

When we use terminology like this, it makes the board less accessible to outsiders, whether they're regular members of the public who are looking to learn more about Scientology or recent or even not-yet ex-Scientologists. It can also come off as petty and childish. At the same time, we certainly don't want to perpetuate the myth that the CoS is really a "Church" in any meaningful sense of the word, so we are trapped with either using their terminology and accidentally giving them some subconscious level of legitimacy in the eyes of the lurkers here or we are caught looking petty, silly, or incomprehensible.

David Miscavige in particular is an important one in my mind. People who are looking to learn more about what has gone wrong in the CoS need to know who he is and what he's done, but it's hard to keep track of the thousands of insulting names people have come up for him. There's also the very good chance that he misses it in his daily "what are they saying about me on the internets" briefing as a result of the various abbreviations and corruptions we use, and I want that miserable little fucker to read every single word.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? I'm not advocating any particular action or inaction here, I'd just be interested to see a little discussion on the matter.
    I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Fool on the Hill Voltaire's Child's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've always thought it was a bit mean and that it detracts. To hear some people, you'd think Hubbard was Jabba The Hutt when, in fact, pix show a guy who overweight but certainly not majorly obese.

Same with DM. Dwarf. Yes, he's short. But I doubt he's shorter than 5'2". That's not a dwarf.

OTOH, using silly nicks for Scn mgmt and cult leaders to blow off steam so in that respect, it's not a bad thing.
    I am truly into myself, yes. And I'm just as interested in other people. When I'm not thinking of one, I'm thinking of the other.

Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Well, as usual, I think it's a mistake to 'play to the lurkers'. Yes, there are points that may lead to confusion to talk about 'hubbfart' or 'The Dwarf', but, after all, this *is* Scientology we're talking about, so, there will always be 'points of confusion'

In a way the confusion is a good thing, in that it's like a nice big bright neon sign pointing out that there *is* confusion in abundance on the subject and the wise lurker will lurk moar until he begins to get the drift.

As long as there are posts and articles that pique interest and keep a person reading (and, there are plenty) I think that context will eventually win out. And, of course, they can always de-lurk and ask questions (which will save them from the Alanzopit)

Zinj

Hey bwg. Good points. I like this one; 'that miserable little fucker' TMLF! HA! :D

I've lately mostly have been typing out scientology with out a capital S, or I might say Lrh and sometimes Co$.

But I understand where you are coming from.

Brian
    Leave the Cult, 8 - 10 million can't all be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by _brian View Post
    Hey bwg. Good points. I like this one; 'that miserable little fucker' TMLF! HA! :D

I've lately mostly have been typing out scientology with out a capital S, or I might say Lrh and sometimes Co$.

But I understand where you are coming from.

Brian
    TMLF is a little too close to MILF for comfort.
    I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

One of the ways I use the lingo (if I feel I need to) is to use them but never capitalize them (refusing to give them any honor, weight or respect).

Like the words scn (or I sometimes like to use $cn) or lrh (or I like to use and will captalize L. Con Blubbard) (Con also meaning 'with' in spanish, lol).
    Last edited by Wisened One; 24th August 2009 at 09:40 PM.
    The night I escaped Staff:
    http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost....2&postcount=33

I get really tired of hearing about how the lower bridge has value. The lower bridge has the sole purpose of getting the PC to reach for more bridge. The fact that many people improved their circumstances as a result of a good intentioned auditor being interested and caring about his PC is not worth the long term and intended result of Scientology technology. GT

Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Using pejorative names helps some people to get off a bit of charge. It is part of "fighting back" against the pervasive suppression the CofS imposes on the individual. Calling DM "an evil dwarf" in a moment of exasperation or something might be considered a relatively mild insult in normal life, but in the CofS the repercussions would be severe if one wished to remain in good standing with the CofS. Like $15,000 worth of sec-checking and amends projects and and and. . . .

Paul
    Stress-release sessions free of charge available 24/7 from PaulsRobot3, exactly personalized. E.g., address "My abusive Uncle David." Download to your own computer or use online. No cost to you at all. One zip file contains the whole lot: 7612 files, 327 MB, 29 session modules, HTML web pages and mp3s only, no javascript, no executable programs. Mostly non-Scn. Download the latest zip file here: http://paulsrobot.com/zips/PaulsRobo...2014-03-09.zip.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewiggirl View Post
    TMLF is a little too close to MILF for comfort.
    Yes, but Bubba will be thinking 'that little motherf@#&er' is mine!

Brian
    Last edited by _brian; 28th August 2009 at 12:59 AM.
    Leave the Cult, 8 - 10 million can't all be wrong

Flubbtard, Scilon, $cientrollogy... we've got a million of them, but is it helpful?

When we use terminology like this, it makes the board less accessible to outsiders, whether they're regular members of the public who are looking to learn more about Scientology or recent or even not-yet ex-Scientologists. It can also come off as petty and childish. At the same time, we certainly don't want to perpetuate the myth that the CoS is really a "Church" in any meaningful sense of the word, so we are trapped with either using their terminology and accidentally giving them some subconscious level of legitimacy in the eyes of the lurkers here or we are caught looking petty, silly, or incomprehensible.

David Miscavige in particular is an important one in my mind. People who are looking to learn more about what has gone wrong in the CoS need to know who he is and what he's done, but it's hard to keep track of the thousands of insulting names people have come up for him. There's also the very good chance that he misses it in his daily "what are they saying about me on the internets" briefing as a result of the various abbreviations and corruptions we use, and I want that miserable little fucker to read every single word.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? I'm not advocating any particular action or inaction here, I'd just be interested to see a little discussion on the matter.

I always get a good laugh when I think of "L. Rum Tubbard," a nick someone invented many years ago. Since Hubbard was such a vain, self-important fellow, and since joking and degrading are frowned upon per his instructions, and since as an SP I am not bound by any policies except those pertaining to SPs, I feel justified in using it or any other derogatory term whenever I please.

The thing about name calling is that for those whose communications have shut down by the mores of the church, name calling and other forms of speaking out are quite liberating. The downside is that, like any process, it can be overrun or overdone.

So, the name-caller has to recognize when the activity is no longer producing a personal gain and back off for a more constructive communication. In scientological terms, this would be ending off on a games condition [scientological term] and getting on with some forward progress in life and case gain.

But, usually I just write "Hubbard, or "L. Ron Hubbard," but never "Mr. Hubbard," sometimes "LRH" when I wish to be brief, but almost never, "Ron." If I say, "Commodore" or "Captain," it is often in mock.

But that's just me. I like to give respect and credit when due, and take it away when not.

As for DM, I can't be burdened to learn the correct spelling of his last name, so "DM" works for me. No familiarity or respect intended. Unlike Hubbard, he has done NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to forward the prospect of people helping people.

Having said that, I like "The Lawn Ornament." It seems fitting.

I think the name calling has a negative effect. Churchies, reading, who would be on the fence so's to speak may not read further.

I'll give an example. When new to the net I saw Pilots book " Super Scio". I
    didn't read past the title because I "knew" no one could say anything new and relevant on the subject, and anyone trying was a "squirrel". Pilot was still posting on the ARS and ACT, and reading a couple I realised he had something to say.
    Subsequently I read all his posts, 5 years or so worth, and most of his other writings. And I was a long way away from being among the most hidebound and had already left with a decision never to return.

I'd say churchies are the most important people to reach. The media has now taken on the critics and anons job of letting people know how dangerous the
    COS is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast