Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helpful Hint: Proxy Servers :)

Patron with Honors

Default Helpful Hint: Proxy Servers :)

Sorry to post so much but if you're a lurker, a new person, someone who wants to contribute but you're scared of being found out, you can use an IP hider.

You can google ip hider, or proxy server, and find lot's of websites. For instance, pimpmyip.org

Then you enter in the little toolbar on that page, the web address of this website, and you can log in, and it will put out a different IP address (the way people find out who you are, where you're from). So if they find a way to trace your ip, they will only get the ip of the proxy server website. It's what I use
    Last edited by owl; 23rd August 2009 at 04:54 AM.

Gold Meritorious Patron

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Sorry to post so much but if you're a lurker, a new person, someone who wants to contribute but you're scared of being found out, you can use an IP hider.

You can google ip hider, or proxy server, and find lot's of websites. For instance, pimpmyip.org

Then you enter in the little toolbar on that page, the web address of this website, and you can log in, and it will put out a different IP address (the way people find out who you are, where you're from). So if they find a way to trace your ip, they will only get the ip of the proxy server website. It's what I use
    Good tip Owl, I know that concern did slow me down in my initial posting. But in over a year now, nothing.

Fool on the Hill Voltaire's Child's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that's a helpful suggestion but I do have a question. I'm not trying to be sarcastic- I really want to know. Were you thinking that someone might hack into ESMB and find stuff out about people? Because as it stands now, AFAIK, only the admin and mods can see IP addresses. But if it's being hacked and found out that you're thinking of, then I can totally see the concern.
    I am truly into myself, yes. And I'm just as interested in other people. When I'm not thinking of one, I'm thinking of the other.

Patron with Honors

Quote Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
    I think that's a helpful suggestion but I do have a question. I'm not trying to be sarcastic- I really want to know. Were you thinking that someone might hack into ESMB and find stuff out about people? Because as it stands now, AFAIK, only the admin and mods can see IP addresses. But if it's being hacked and found out that you're thinking of, then I can totally see the concern.
    I dont want to say too much but there are ways for people to plant devices that track IP addresses. They could make a post with such a thing, and collect everyones IP address who merely VIEWS the post.

Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dont want to say too much but there are ways for people to plant devices that track IP addresses. They could make a post with such a thing, and collect everyones IP address who merely VIEWS the post.
    No, they would have to click on a link in the post, hosted by a site the bad guy had access to the server logs of. You wouldn't happen to be trying to get people to not look at ESMB at all, would you?

EDIT: Whoops. I'm wrong. Owl is right. Apologies.

Paul
    Last edited by Dulloldfart; 23rd August 2009 at 12:32 PM.
    Stress-release sessions free of charge available 24/7 from PaulsRobot3, exactly personalized. E.g., address "My abusive Uncle David." Download to your own computer or use online. No cost to you at all. One zip file contains the whole lot: 7612 files, 327 MB, 29 session modules, HTML web pages and mp3s only, no javascript, no executable programs. Mostly non-Scn. Download the latest zip file here: http://paulsrobot.com/zips/PaulsRobo...2014-03-09.zip.

Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Owl is OSA

Zinj

I also find them useful for keeping my massive army of sock puppet accounts from getting bannednated.

Patron Meritorious MostlyLurker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dulloldfart View Post
    No, they would have to click on a link in the post, hosted by a site the bad guy had access to the server logs of. You wouldn't happen to be trying to get people to not look at ESMB at all, would you?

Paul
    It is not necessary to click a link to expose your computer info and location to the bad guys. If you want to stay safe then you should use a proxy.
    If they hack ESMB they may read your PMs, so delete (or save locally and delete) your PMs regularly.
    “It is simply not true that we are trapped in this universe. There is no way out of this trap for the simple reason that it wasn’t a trap in the first place. Therefore, any sign-post that purports to point to "the way out of the trap" must either be meaningless or else point the way into a trap.” ― from Letter to a Scientologist by Per-Olof Samuelsson

Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLurker View Post
    It is not necessary to click a link to expose your computer info and location to the bad guys. If you want to stay safe then you should use a proxy.
    If they hack ESMB they may read your PMs, so delete (or save locally and delete) your PMs regularly.
    Thanks very much.

Hacking ESMB is something else entirely, though. Unless I'm wrong again! As far as I know, that is extremely unlikely.

Paul
    Stress-release sessions free of charge available 24/7 from PaulsRobot3, exactly personalized. E.g., address "My abusive Uncle David." Download to your own computer or use online. No cost to you at all. One zip file contains the whole lot: 7612 files, 327 MB, 29 session modules, HTML web pages and mp3s only, no javascript, no executable programs. Mostly non-Scn. Download the latest zip file here: http://paulsrobot.com/zips/PaulsRobo...2014-03-09.zip.

What is this fear of being found out all about?

Paranoia?

Like Hubbard's?

Can't one just enjoy life and ESMB?

Just have clean hands and be detached. That is all the safety one needs.

I am Shiva, the destroyer of illusion...
    Vinaire's Story.....
    Vinaire's Blog.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast