Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Scientology Breeds Fanaticism

On a small mountain surrounded by many acres of forest.

Default Scientology Breeds Fanaticism

I was going through a closet today and found a folder with various Scientology issues in it. I briefly scanned through it. Doing so made me realize, once again, just how severe the Scientology indoctrination is. There is an underlying viewpoint instilled in members that slants their reality, conditions their reasoning ability, and allows them to commit harm to others. What is this viewpoint?

It is the viewpoint that, "we are the last free beings, we are the ONLY group able to salvage people, we are the ONLY group with a workable tech able to solve the problems of society, and we are on a live-or-die-in-the-attempt mission to bring this wonderful LRH tech to every man, woman and child on planet Earth".

Yes, it is an insane view. I have found that any group that considers itself SUPERIOR to everybody else, philosophically, ideologically or religiously, also practices the maxim: The ends justify the means. In other words, these sort of people will stoop to behavior few others will, because they BELIEVE they are the recipients and holders of some GREAT TRUTH! I have seen it over and over. Church of Scientology members routinely get to a point, rather quickly due to constant indoctrination of KSW-related materials, where he or she truly believes that only his or her group is "right". Also, Hubbard endlessly puts out the view that you will end up a "cinder", "in oblivion", "tortured forever", "dying a thousand horrible deaths" if you fail to get Scn applied to yourself. The message is relentless. Hubbard repeatedly brings up how little time there is, how nasty and bad the enemy is, and that unless "we" do the job NOW, we won't ever get another chance! Constant threats of doom and gloom (as with most religions).

There are many LRH quotes, which members read and study routinely, which drive this attitude home. Here are a few. I will add more every once in awhile as there are MANY.

"I expect and need your help to carry out the broad mission of de-contaminating this area of the universe". (An Open Letter To All Clears)

"Will you take advantage of the carefully marked trail upward? I hope you do, my friends. For if you don't, it will be very lonely in the sky". (LRH ED 347 INT, RJ 37)

"A handful of us are working our guts out to beat Deadline Earth. On us alone depends whether your kid will ever see sixteen or your people will ever make it at all. A few of us see the world has got a chance if we don't dawdle along the way. Our chance is a thin chance at best. We are working as hard as we can in Scientology. And, the only slim chance this planet has rests on a few slim shoulders, overworked, underpaid and fought - the Scientologist. Later on, if we make it, what will be your answer to this question? Did you help?" ("Five Years", 1967, Auditor Mag #9)

"In this time and place - for possibly just a little while, we have this chance. To go free and to make it. Planets and cultures are frail things. They do not endure. I strongly advise you work hard at it - don't waste this brief breath in eternity." (LRH ED 342 INT, RJ 35)

"I have been researching upper OT levels, and I can tell you this very plainly: If Scn doesn't make it worldwide you've had it - yes, I mean you. One is not working for just this life. He is working for any future life at all". (HCO PL 14 March 1982 Financial Irregularities)

"A post in a Scientology Organization isn't a job. It's a trust and a crusade. We're free mean and women - probably the last free men and women on earth. Remember, we'll have to come back to Earth some day no matter what 'happens' to us. If we don't do a good job now we may never get another chance. Yes, I'm sure that's the way it is. So, we have an organization, we have a field we must support, we have a chance. That's more than we had last time night's curtain began to fall on freedom." (HCO PL Your Post)

"We didn't, a long time ago, get in Ethics. We goofed! And the whole race went into the soup where it remains to this day. And, if we are to live in this universe at all we are going to have to get in Ethics and clean it up. Whether that's easy to confront or not is beside the point. The horrid truth is that our fate is FAR more unconfrontable". (HCO PL 20 Oct 67 Conditions, How To Assign)

These are just a random sampling of the type of "fanatic-creating fodder" that Hubbard slips in every chance he can. I could examine each statement, and critique each in various ways, but for now, let the comments fly. The main point for now is that when any person accepts, adopts and comes to BELIEVE this sort of stuff, well, that person's entire outlook becomes FAR different than most other people. The person becomes severe, rigid, uncompromising, working towards goals that make little sense to the rest of humanity, or in other words he or she takes on the color of a FANATIC. Also, once a person actually "thinks" with this sort of scenario, his or her behavior changes markedly. The GOAL, the TRUST, the CRUSADE become more important than anything else, and ANYTHING that slows or interferes with realizing the GOAL (clearing the planet) becomes BAD - to be attacked, and destroyed. That is why the Church can comfortably, without any guilt or remorse, frame an innocent person in a crime, which she didn't commit (Paulette Copper). That is why the Church can lie, over and over, because their "goal" is lofty and pure (in their twisted, distorted mentalities). These type of people constantly think with and apply the idea, "the ends justify the means". Anything done to win is acceptable. ANYTHING! Limitations, restrictions and therefore, decency, do NOT exist within the realm of brutal Scientology indoctrination.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 3rd November 2011 at 02:07 AM.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"They must know how to kindle and fan an extravagant hope". - Eric Hoffer about the "true believer". "Total Freedom", "your eternity", and "OT" involve a few of the extravagant hopes in Scientology.

Go HERE to view and/or download the essay, "The Three Basic Scientology Beliefs".

Ahhh fond memories, how I loved the five years thing.

The other favourite was what we had to chinese school in the seventies, 'we're going up while the world goes down,' cant remember anymore, we were all tired and hungry and not exactly going anywhere, well except for the ones that were blowing. That must have been in the 'battle of britain', ughgh! One of those ghastly moments when you know that this has to be rock bottom, no one believed a word of it and no one would admit it.

3. Thanks Watchful Navigator, Auditor's Toad says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Auditor's Toad liked this post
    Patron Meritorious

GREAT POST

I remember when I read all those things you mention and thought that it was too great a responsibility to deal with.

Opter

5. Thanks Auditor's Toad says "thank you" for this post
    Likes AnonyMary, Auditor's Toad liked this post
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Great post, Gadfly.

I appreciate your posts, they are very enlightening.

I hope every Scientologist on the planet reads them.

I may re-post it on the Scientology Forum.

Would that be all right with you?

I'll take all the credit, of course.

7. Thanks Auditor's Toad says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Auditor's Toad liked this post
    Gottabrain

GREAT post. Thanks for taking the time to pull all those references.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanzo View Post
    Great post, Gadfly.

I appreciate your posts, they are very enlightening.

I hope every Scientologist on the planet reads them.

I may re-post it on the Scientology Forum.

Would that be all right with you?

I'll take all the credit, of course.
    Anyone can take anything I post here, and repost it or HTML it anywhere on the Web as they like. And sure, take all the credit (if you'd like).

Continuing on the earlier begun train of thought, active member Scientologists are "taught" (through repetitive policy references received on courses, at briefings, in magazines, and at mandatory events) to accept, adopt and believe:

Key Belief Number One

The future of every man, woman and child, for all eternity depends solely on what we accomplish realizing the goals of Scientology. If we fail we all will suffer and die for endless eternities. We will die horrible deaths over and over forever.

The condition of people, governments, medicine, science, education and even the entire universe taken as a whole is horrible, decayed, dying and failing. This will only get worse if it continues unhandled.

Therefore, the actions of Scientology are more important than anything anywhere at anytime past, present or future. There is nothing that even takes a close second-place.

As a spiritual being, I am eternal, and must come back into new bodies over and over. I will continue in this cycle of rebirth and death, with pain and with suffering, for all eternity UNLESS I succeed with Scientology.

This is the "gloom & doom" basis of Scientology beliefs. The view is basically that everything is horrible, and will remain horrible, UNLESS Scientology succeeds wholly in its mission, because ONLY Scientology has the information and methods that can stop the gloom and doom from happening. It is that simple. It is typical SALVATION mentality; we, the Church of Scientology, have accurately described the state of salvation and only we, the Church of Scientology, offer the correct path to reach that state of salvation.

Ancilliary Belief 1:

Therefore, we are justified in doing anything to anyone if it safeguards our continued existence and contributes to our success. All considerations are minor compared to this. Nothing else matters, and no other person or group matters compared to this.

Ancilliary Belief 2:

Concerns such as friendship, family, personal goals and even health are far secondary to the success of the Scientology movement.

These ideas are based on numerous writings by Hubbard. Every new member contacts these ideas early on and every member constantly encounters similar ideas as they continue through their studies. It would be a fair statement to say that these ideas are constantly driven into their minds on a non-stop basis. For staff members, there is also endless repeated indoctrination into these ideas through regularly scheduled staff meetings, staff briefings, Church events, study orders, and course training. The way Scientology training is arranged, with strict training methods and which allows for no questioning or discussion, well ensures the total acceptance of ALL ideas. Partial acceptance of ideas is not allowed; only 100% complete absolute agreement is tolerated. A "pick and choose" mentality is unallowable in the Church of Scientology. As you will see this is based on another, later discussed basic belief, that Scientology methods are 100% workable and effective, but only of if applied exactly and completely, without alteration, as L. Ron Hubbard directed them to be applied. Therefore, all avenues for "picking and choosing" are blocked. There is only one correct way. That idea is also part of the official Church of Scientology mindset.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 23rd December 2009 at 08:06 AM.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"They must know how to kindle and fan an extravagant hope". - Eric Hoffer about the "true believer". "Total Freedom", "your eternity", and "OT" involve a few of the extravagant hopes in Scientology.

Go HERE to view and/or download the essay, "The Three Basic Scientology Beliefs".

Default Continuing Along - More References

This excerpt from KSW Series 1 shows that public are equally encouraged to get with the program and fully accept the severity of the task as quickly as possible:

"When somebody enrolls, consider he or she has joined up for the duration of the universe - never permit an open-minded approach. If they're going to quit let them quit fast. If they enrolled, they're aboard; they're here on the same terms as the rest of us - win or die in the attempt. Never let them be half-minded about being Scientologists.

We'd rather have you dead than incapable."

Notice the references such as "for the duration of the universe", criticism of an "open-minded approach", criticism of "half-minded" attitude. The "tone" is one of utter and complete alliance and allegiance to the "cause". To really understand what this means, the reader must know what the terms for the "rest of us" refers to. It refers to the hardcore staff members in the Sea Organization - the group that controls and runs the Church of Scientology. Read more here about the code and attitudes of a Sea Org Member.

"A post in a Scientology organization isn't a job. It's a trust and a crusade. We're free men and women - probably the last free men and women on Earth. Remember, we'll have to come back to earth no matter what "happens" to us. If we don't do a good job now, we may never get another chance.

Yes, I'm sure that's the way it is.

So, we have an organization, we have a field we must support, we have a chance.

That's more than we had the last time night's curtain began to fall on freedom."

(HCO PL 2 November 1970 Issue II THE THEORY OF SCIENTOLOGY ORGANIZATIONS)

"The ultimate product of Scientology is a universe that is decent and happy to live in, not degenerated and made miserable by suppressives as it has been." (HCO PL 4 December 1966 EXPANSION: THEORY OF POLICY)

"The threat to us if we don't make it is eternity.

One could ask a staff member that refuses to get hatted how he would like to spend all of the coming eternity blind, in the dark and in pain. He would probably say he wouldn't like that. But if we don't make it, that's what we've got and that's what he's condemning this planet to.

He doesn't realize that he himself, next life, is for it if we don't make it.

If staff in our orgs don't get hatted, they're condemning themselves and the planet to death a thousand times over.

So understand that no matter how mild the environment might appear to you, we are actually fighting a full-scale war against ignorance and enslavement. But we do have the tech to win."

(HCO PL 2 July 1984 HATTING AND THE ENVIRONMENT)

"A post in this organization is a trust. Its duty is to keep the peace, do the job and get the show on the road. If anyone cannot conceive of his post as a trust with this mission, he has no business here."

(SEC ED No. 215 A STAFF POST)

"We must come to orderly cause-point on every post. We must, we must, we must.

We're playing for blood. The stake is Earth. If we don't make it nobody will. We're the sole agency in existence today that can forestall the erasure of all civilization or bring a new better one. If we aren't willing to be hanged for our mistakes we'll surely fry for them."

(HCO PL 22 May 1959 Issue II CENTRAL ORGANIZATION EFFICIENCY)

This stuff is important when one is trying to fully grasp the WHATs and WHYs regarding the Church of Scientology, because these ideas form the exact foundation upon which the lunacy known as the Church of Scientology rests.

This sort of viewpoint is there constantly, manufactured by LRH; always relentlessly and somewhat subliminally driving home these very extreme and slanted attitudes. Regges and recruiters pull out these type of "per policy references" all of the time to really PUSH THE RUIN in your face, so as to get you to PAY lots of money or PAY WITH YOUR PRECIOUS TIME. There is guilt-trip angle too - are YOU taking ENOUGH responsibility to correct this HORRIBLE MESS? Are you? Are you? Are you?

Banned
    Blog Entries

My God.

This dude has done it.

He has distilled down, into one post, exactly what the Church of Scientology does to destroy your true self and to create an unthinking pinheaded robot of anyone who adopts its insidious ideology.

Well done, Gadfly.

I am taking your shit and running with it.

12. Thanks Auditor's Toad says "thank you" for this post
    Blog Entries

The ostrich is brilliant.
    VEDA IS GOD

Sometimes I'm the Evil Twin.

http://itwastruelove.blogspot.com

14. Likes AnonyMary liked this post

Here is another angle to it all:

In Scientology there is a procedure called "Chinese School" where the members all line up and chant in unison words and ideas that some Scientology leader wants to ram into their heads.

"3. Chinese School (staff or div staff all together in front of a big org board chanting together the hats, duties and products of the org as visible on the org board). (HCO PL 9 March 1972 Issue III DEV-T AND UNHATTEDNESS)

This method is commonly used with any idea, including the basics discussed in this section. They all line up and chant each key point together. They do this day after day until they can each recite it without error. This is one of the many aspects to Scientology indoctrination methods. Though, the primary methods of indoctrination occur with the way Scientology training occurs.

Briefly, in Scientology training or study the materials are always beyond question. They are viewed as "wholly perfect". They are viewed as "beyond possibility of error". If you have a question then you are instructed to find your misunderstood word(s) or get more mass on the subject by demonstrating principles and ideas. If you disagree with a topic by Hubbard, then you first complete the previous two steps, and if still disagreeing, then handle disagreements with auditing or go to ethics and clean up your out-ethics by writing up overts and withholds (or get the overts and withholds pulled in sec-check auditing).

The theory and accepted belief is that the "data is perfect", it always works if properly understood and applied, and it can only be a case of problems with the student that prevent understanding, agreement, great results and wide-eyed enthusiasm for what was studied. Every student clears the meaning of words, demonstrates principles, receives coaching on study materials, receives checkouts, and applies other study techniques such as metered word-clearing, clay demonstrations, and drawing diagrams. It is strictly forbidden to ask another student or course supervisor about what anything means. It is forbidden for a Course Supervisor to answer any questions from students with anything except, "what do your course materials state?" or "what is your misunderstood word"? The ONLY correct action in Scientology is to get the student studying the materials until the student understands, agrees with and greatly enjoys the materials. This acts to heavily reinforce and condition the student with certain ideas.

In Scientology, the various ideas and concepts are repeated over and over and over until the member has them firmly planted in their minds - until they "understand" them, agree with them, and especially, assert them as undeniable and indisputable facts. This is a basic Scientology study method:

"NUMBER OF TIMES OVER THE MATERIAL EQUALS CERTAINTY"

(HCOPL 8 May 1969 Issue I IMPORTANT STUDY DATA)

So, of course, Scientology "learning" methods make them go over some subject or idea as many times as necessary until they are "certain" about the subject or idea. "Certainty" is a vital concept in Scientology. Please read this section on certainty to see what it actually means to them.

You cannot remain in Scientology without adopting a total a complete acceptance of everything just as written or said by Hubbard. There is no alternative. The beliefs discussed in this section, as with all ideas within Scientology, are relentlessly driven into the minds of the members through the various study and indoctrination methods mentioned in this section.

Here are a few quotes by Hubbard displaying the basis of the above belief. There are many more possible quotes that could be shown that display similar sentiments.

"We're not playing some minor game in Scientology. It isn't cute or something to do for lack of something better.

The whole agonized future of the planet, every man, woman and child on it, and your own destiny for the next endless trillions of years depend on what you do here and now with and in Scientology.

This is a deadly serious activity. And if we miss getting out of the trap now, we may never again have another chance.

Remember, this is our first chance to do so in all the endless trillions of years of the past."

(L. Ron Hubbard HCO PL 7 February 1965 Keeping Scientology Working Series 1)

Notice the references such as the "whole agonized future of the planet", "deadly serious activity", "first chance to do so in all the endless trillions of years" and "we may never again have another chance." This is the tone of the subject materials of Scientology. This is the framework that the entire organization operates from. This viewpoint, wildly different than almost ANY other person or group, is rigid, unwavering, severe, unconditional, absolute and entirely incapable of and unwilling to compromise. The reader needs to get a handle on this if you are to ever understand them and what motivates them. This is not just another self-help group; just as Hubbard himself says.

Anybody dealing with the Church of Scientology needs to understand this about them or you will fail to fathom some of the things they do. Whether school, local government, state government, federal government, lawyer, or judge, if you become a problem or threat to them in any way, knowingly or unknowingly, then you will only understand their subsequent vicious and brutal tactics once you understand these beliefs. These people seriously believe they are saving the entire universe for all eternity. They take their mission very seriously. They see anyone in their way as an enemy of that - they view you as a barrier to the endless wonders of freedom and spiritual salvation (the CARROT on the stick).

16. Thanks Veda, Lord Xenu, muchhappiernow, Watchful Navigator, Auditor's Toad says "thank you" for this post
    Likes AnonyMary liked this post
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast