Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Benefits of Scientology Discipline

Default The Benefits of Scientology Discipline

How many of you all ultimately found some benefit in the rigorous discipline expected of Scientology members? Other than the standard expected benefits of auditing, training, or even the "hope" of life improvement, wasn't there some
    definite gain to be had from the strict adherence to discipline and ethics?

Just having a strict course schedule. Or having a dedicated staff making sure
    you keep up your schedule and keep your nose clean. After all, if you are on course, you aren't out getting into trouble, wasting time, drinking, carousing or other activities that might bring you down. How much time have some of us wasted just floundering in life without a strong career direction, or with a lack or motivation to really work harder at work, school or relationships? Didn't Scientology help with that?

I know some might argue that there are many other methods of discipline and self discipline out there, but that is not the point. The point is the added bonus of having strong guildlines, schedules, etc. Then when on lines, you can't really take drugs. After doing a Purif, there is a strong motiviation to stay away from drugs. Recreational or otherwise.

Now I'm not talking about the abuse of ethics. Or lousy and unfair endless "justice" cycles. Just the day to day subtle pressure to keep going. To improve your life.

So the question is, how many of us were actually better off in some way due to the discipline and ethics of Scientology?

Genuine Meatball SchwimmelPuckel's Avatar

You need Scn discipline Pitbull.. I don't!

Anyway.. If I'm going to be serious for a bit.. I did 'appreciate' the discipline. I was in agreement on that..

But the bootcamp effect is delivered better by the Royal Danish Air Force.. Better results because the RDAF don't cheat on their part of the deal like CoS does. This has to do with ethics.. The RDAF is ethical. The rules and the deals are being observed strictly. Both the obligations and the rights of the troopers.

In the CoS the 'troopers' are just riff raff. Deals are broken. You got no rights at all.. No agreement that you need sleep, money or food. In fact the training regimen is akin to that being used for dogs. Just raised a bit to fit intellectual capacity for humans... And that is the only recognition you will ever get for having a working mind!

Ahh.. But we were led to expect something better from CoS! - Bootcamp discipline doesn't hack it! - Even if Scientology were not a criminal scam, the possible benefits of bootcamp discipline would be below expectations. Not good enough by orders of magnitude!

Frankly, considering all this, I don't think we can credit CoS with a regimen of 'discipline'.. It's something else.

It's not being 'disciplined' when you are under threat.

Ask not what Scientology can do for you, ask what the F#*¤CK is going on!

Catholic School for me had better discipline. The basis of the discipline in Catholic school was that you were a reflection of a higher being and you should act that way. Although strict, it respected you. In Scientology, you belonged to the Church, and was not treated any better than was the furniture.
    Catholic School, of course, did not always live up to its standards. But the Church of Scientology always lives down to its standard.

The Anabaptist Jacques

It was all penalties and no rewards.

That is NOT discipline. More like indentured servitude...
    "Deception is the ethics of war." - John Singleton Mosby

I actually found I had to reintroduce personal discipline in my life after being on staff. I had to force myself to look more deeply into things. I kind of find it laughable that life on staff is seen as "ethical" and a matter of "discipline." MAKE IT GO RIGHT is not a mantra for studiously ethical conduct.
    “…Never discuss Scientology with the critic. Just discuss his or her crimes, known and unknown. And act completely confident that those crimes exist….” ~L. Ron Hubbard, “Critics of Scientology”, November 5, 1967

The Truth About The Freezone

Silver Meritorious Patron uncle sam's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default discipline

is available in lots and lots of places in all societies across this globe. There are all kinds of discipline ranging from military-parental-marching bands-team sports-religious schools-corporate-etc etc etc etc. The discipline in the cos is of desperation-the worst kind- I'm sure that for a lot of people the cos was their first introduction to discipline-another example of people thinking the cos was the leading edge for improving their lives. Oh well!

Actually, I was much better about taking vitamins, exercising and just taking better care of myself while auditing....cause I had to. Now I got lazy again on the body thing--trying to revert that. Yoda says "Try not, DO". Where is that little green guy when you need him.

Other than that, all the other 'discipline' was just plain suppressive.
    Scientology is an "Insidious" practice.... "operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect"

Gold Meritorious Patron Kathy (ImOut)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    How many of you all ultimately found some benefit in the rigorous discipline expected of Scientology members?

<snip>

So the question is, how many of us were actually better off in some way due to the discipline and ethics of Scientology?

I have to say, the discipline didn't do me a dang bit of good. I paid for a "special course schedule" just so I could have my Friday nights off to go out dancing and drinking. Being five minutes late to session due to traffic and getting bitched at just pissed me off. I felt like a 5 year old being reprimanded. Being told when to eat and how to eat also made me feel like a kid. At this point I've been studying health and nutrition for 30 years - I didn't need some Board I/C telling me how to eat. I didn't need some auditor asking if I'd taken my vitamins. Honestly, for lack of a better word, it invalidated my ability to take care of myself. I had an Ethics Officer tell my second husband, "you're keeping her in Danger by telling how to eat, what to eat and when to eat". Exactly. And that's what the board I/C and auditor would do.

I eat when I'm hungry and I sleep when I'm tired. I didn't need to be told how or when to do either. But I'm also anti-schedule. I like to do things on my own and not be told when something should be done.

And the GAT rules of no water in the auditing room just pissed me off to no end. I also want a drink of water when I'm thirsty and not have to take a "session break" to hydrate my body.

I have no problem keeping the schedule I make for myself, before or after Scn.
    Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the bullshit, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
    "There is no freedom like seeing myself as I am and not losing heart."~Elizabeth J. Canham from Dark Phoenix

Silver Meritorious Patron FinallyMe's Avatar

Default My Folks Did It Better

My ethical/morale/value systems were more than adequately taught me by my parents. The discipline I was given was given with love, designed to fit my transgression, and with ME in mind, and fair. I passed those ideas down to my kids. I have ALWAYS been punctual, work before play, do the very best job you can with anything, expect more of yourself, look at more than one side of a dispute. Scientology, handed out by Scientologists, was just a mean demonstration of power and control.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMe View Post
    My ethical/morale/value systems were more than adequately taught me by my parents. The discipline I was given was given with love, designed to fit my transgression, and with ME in mind, and fair. I passed those ideas down to my kids. I have ALWAYS been punctual, work before play, do the very best job you can with anything, expect more of yourself, look at more than one side of a dispute. Scientology, handed out by Scientologists, was just a mean demonstration of power and control.
    Well said Patte as always!! My grandmother brought me up and she was very fair but diciplined too. She taught me to always be honest and to never treat anyone the way you wouldn't want to be treated, so when I was in the cult, I was in a constant state of fear as I felt the amount of odered o/w write ups, sec checks, accusations of being a criminal and out 2d and all the rest was pretty alien to me so I was I think left in a perpetual state of shock. Scientology was like being in a concentration camp of sorts. I remember my then husband and I being five minutes late for muster, we were sent to SH for a week!! I mean that's just plain crazy!
    "Who looks outside dreams; who looks inside, awakes" C.G. Jung
    "Anonymous are the angels of our time". Me

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast