Thread: Wikipedia featured article March 12, 2010

Patron

Default Wikipedia featured article March 12, 2010

The following article was the Wikipedia featured article on March 12, 2010:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thr...reed_and_Power

Gold Meritorious Patron Kathy (ImOut)'s Avatar

The CofS fought Times Mag for 10 years. Wow! Nice to know where IAS money goes.

Now I understand why the CofS didn't want it's members reading the article.
    Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the bullshit, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
    "There is no freedom like seeing myself as I am and not losing heart."~Elizabeth J. Canham from Dark Phoenix

Gold Meritorious Patron FinallyFree's Avatar

I love the sweet smell of the truth in the morning. Better than coffee.
    Sweet memories
    I never thought it would be like this
    Reminding me
    Just how close I came to missing
    I know that
    This is the way for me to go
    You'll be there
    When you know what I know
    And I know...

Gold Meritorious Patron The Great Zorg's Avatar

Cool Prophet and Profit

...from that Wikipedia link:

Before penning "The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power", Behar had written a 1986 article in Forbes magazine, "The Prophet and Profits of Scientology"...

The Prophet and Profit of Scientology. Good summation of the true condition of the clam.
    There is more to the universe(s) then all the words of all the men that have ever lived could ever begin to describe.

EVERYTHING in scientology, to some degree, is a lie. RUN! Do not look back!

For something more positive and healing, for those in pain, have a look at this website: http://mynaturalpainrelief.net

Gold Meritorious Patron Axiom142's Avatar

You beat me to it ndp.

Wikipedia is a great source of info for anyone wanting to know the truth about Scientology, Hubbard and the CoS.

This article is very well-written and even more satisfyingly, well-referenced. But, given the litigious nature of the CoS, I suppose it had to be.

See this section from the article, concerning the litigation resulting from the original Time magazine article:

Litigation

Docket of Church of Scientology International v. Time Warner, Inc., Petition for Writ of Certiorari to the Supreme Court of the United States denied.The Church brought a libel lawsuit against Time Warner and Behar, seeking damages of $416 million. The Church alleged false and defamatory statements were made concerning the Church of Scientology International in the Time article. More specifically, the Church of Scientology's court statements claimed that Behar had been refining an anti-Scientology focus since his 1986 article in Forbes, which included gathering negative materials about Scientology, and "never accepting anything a Scientologist said and uniformly ignoring anything positive he learned about the Church". In its initial complaint filing, the Church quoted portions of the Behar article that it alleged were false and defamatory, including the quote from Cynthia Kisser, and Behar's own assertion that Scientology was a "global racket" that intimidated individuals in a "Mafia-like manner".

Bound volumes of documents from U.S. federal court proceedings, in case Church of Scientology International vs. Time Warner Inc. and Richard BeharNoah Lottick's parents submitted affidavits in the case, in which they "affirmed the accuracy of each statement in the article", and Dr. Lottick "concluded that Scientology therapies were manipulations, and that no Scientology staff members attended the funeral [of their son.]". During the litigation, the Church of Scientology attempted to subpoena Behar in a separate ongoing lawsuit with the Internal Revenue Service, and accused a federal magistrate of leaking information to him. Behar was questioned for over one hundred and ninety hours during thirty days of depositions with Scientology attorneys in the libel case. One question was about Behar's life in his parents' home while he was still inside the womb. St. Petersburg Times explained that this question was prompted by Scientology teachings that certain problems come from prenatal memories. Behar told the St. Petersburg Times he "felt it was extremely excessive". In a countersuit, Behar brought up the issues of Church of Scientology private investigators and what he viewed as harassment. By July 1996, all counts of the libel suit had been dismissed. In the course of the litigation through 1996, Time Warner had spent $3.7 million in legal defense costs. The Church of Scientology also sued several individuals quoted in the Time article.

The Church of Scientology sued Reader's Digest in Switzerland, France, Italy, the Netherlands, and Germany for publishing a condensed version of the Time story. The only court to provide a temporary injunction was in Lausanne, Switzerland. In France, Italy and the Netherlands, the courts either dismissed the Church of Scientology's motions, or set injunction hearings far beyond the date of actual publication. The company defied the injunction and mailed copies of the article, "Scientology: A Dangerous Cult Goes Mainstream," to their 326,000 Swiss subscribers. Worldwide editor-in-chief of Reader's Digest, Kenneth Tomlinson, told The New York Times that "a publisher cannot accept a court prohibiting distribution of a serious journalistic piece. ... The court order violates freedom of speech and freedom of the press". The Church of Scientology subsequently filed a criminal complaint against the Digest in Lausanne, and Mike Rinder stated it was in blatant violation of the law. By defying the Swiss court ban, the Reader's Digest risked a fine of about $3,400, as well as a potential three months of jail time for the Swiss Digest editor-in-chief. A hearing on the injunction was set for November 11, 2001, and the injunction was later lifted by the Swiss court.

Certiorari record in United States ReportsIn January 2001, a United States Federal Appeals Court upheld the dismissal of the Church of Scientology International's case against Time Warner. In its opinion, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit ruled that Time Warner had not published "The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power" with an actual intent of malice, a standard that must be met for libel cases involving individuals and public groups. On October 1, 2001, the Supreme Court of the United States refused to consider reinstating the church's libel case Church of Scientology International v. Time Warner Inc., 00-1683. Time Warner said it refused to be "intimidated by the church's apparently limitless legal resources." In arguments presented to the Supreme Court, the Church of Scientology acknowledged that church officials had "committed improper acts" in the past, but also claimed that: "allegations of past misconduct were false and distorted, the result of the misunderstanding, suspicion and prejudice that typically greet a new religion". Of the rulings for Time Warner, the Church of Scientology complained that they "provide a safe harbor for biased journalism". Behar commented on the Church of Scientology's legal defeat, and said that the lawsuit had a chilling effect: "It's a tremendous defeat for Scientology ... But of course their doctrine states that the purpose of a suit is to harass, not to win, so from that perspective they hurt us all. They've had a real chilling effect on journalism, both before and after my piece".

According to Marty Rathbun, the CoS spent over $10 million investigating and suing the authors and others involved in the article. Although the CoS ultimately lost the case, Miscavige was cock-a-hoop at the fact that Time Warner had had to spend so much money and effort to defend themselves. The whole point of the suit was to give a warning to any other organisations who might think of publishing other critical articles.

The fact that so much of his ‘parishioners’ money had been wasted was immaterial to Miscavige – he could always raise more and these sorts of articles gave him the perfect excuse to pressure Scientologists for more money.

It may have had the desired effect in ‘chilling’ future articles on the cult (at least for a while), but this abuse of the legal system will have not gone unnoticed. The CoS made a lot of enemies by this and other similar actions, many have bided their time until the circumstances were more favourable.

This time is now and the media can smell blood in the water. They are closing in for the kill.

Axiom142
    "Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth." - Siddhartha Gautama

“He is tall, sort of dark, and sort of handsome. Well not ugly anyway.” - Terril Park on Axiom142

Some of my videos: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthrea...s-Video-Thread

Red face Frivolous

Is scientology in the U.S. noted for their frivolous actions? I believe there are, here in Canada: a court having decided that their ridiculous stonewalling and expense created motions were contrary to the intended and proper functioning of the legal system. There is a name for it in law... just can't remember what it is.
    There is more to the universe(s) then all the words of all the men that have ever lived could ever begin to describe.

For something more positive and healing, for those in pain, have a look at this website: http://mynaturalpainrelief.net

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Zorg View Post
    Is scientology in the U.S. noted for their frivolous actions?

There is a name for it in law... just can't remember what it is.
    http://whyaretheydead.info/UK/HELENA/HO_FINE.HTM

Generally they can fall under barratry or be sanctioned under the 'S.L.A.P.P.' statutes: Strategic lawsuit against public participation. -

"Retaliatory lawsuits intended to silence, intimidate, or punish those who have used public forums to speak, petition, or otherwise move for government action on an issue."

Zinj

Wink VEXATIOUS

Vexatious: that is the term I was looking for.

Not surprising, there is an entry in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexatious_litigation
    that lists
    Notable vexatious litigants

The Church of Scientology: "Plaintiffs (Scientologists) have abused the federal court system by using it, inter alia, to destroy their opponents, rather than to resolve an actual dispute over trademark law or any other legal matter. This constitutes 'extraordinary, malicious, wanton and oppressive conduct.' As such, this case qualifies as an 'exceptional case' and fees should be awarded pursuant to the Lanham Act... It is abundantly clear that plaintiffs sought to harass the individual defendants and destroy the church defendants through massive over-litigation and other highly questionable litigation tactics. The Special Master has never seen a more glaring example of bad faith litigation than this." (RTC v. Robin Scott, U. S. District Court, Central District of California, No. 85-711-JMI (Bx) 85-7197-JMI (Bx), January 20, 1993, Memorandum of Decision).[24]

Using the search words scientology vexatious litigation displays over 6,500 hits.

Well, that's a surprise!

Funny, everything I just mentioned above I used to call entheta; now it simply stands for what it is: the truth and practical warnings.