Try to place that poor man's feet on solid ground
    Just remember he's some mother's precious darlin'
    Always lift him up and never knock him down

Blind Alfred Reed

-----

Silver Meritorious Patron Outethicsofficer's Avatar

More good bad news for the church

James
    Rather the purpose is to make new scientologists.
    And that is what they are trying to fool libraries, businesses and schools into helping them do - spread Scientology and make new scientologists.

Thanks to Lawrence Brennan for the above quote.

Default Article in Trois-Rivières daily newspaper Le Nouvelliste

Translation of an article on the website of the Trois-Rivières daily newspaper Le Nouvelliste, March 22, 2010:

Narconon de nouveau dans la controverse | Actualités

Photograph Caption:
    The premises of the Narconon drug rehabilitation centre are located on
    Parent Boulevard in Trois-Rivières. This organization has stirred a lot of
    controversy in recent years.

Narconon Again the Focus of Controversy

March 22, 2010

(Trois-Rivières) The Narconon Trois-Rivières detoxification centre, suspected of links with the Church of Scientology, once again finds itself in the middle of a controversy.

This time, it's the public statements made over the weeked by a former patient who became an employee of the organization that have brought the subject back into the news.

David Edgar Love, a 57-year-old man from the Montreal area, has just filed a complaint with the Quebec Human Rights Commission [Commission des droits de la personne] as well as with the Quebec Labour Standards Commission [Commission des normes du travail]. Both commissions are currently investigating the matter.

The former Narconon employee says he is suffering from post-traumatic stress since leaving the centre in May 2009. Harassment and threats are alleged to have been daily occurrences at the Parent Boulevard establishment. This, at least, is what he explained in an interview he gave to Le Soleil.

During the interview, Love also revealed several techniques allegedly used within the centre, whose treatment methods follow the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology.

According to his account, Narconon requires that its patients undergo an extreme purification program which consists of ingesting large amounts of vitamins and spending more than four hours a day inside a sauna.

Love also describes an exercise which involves an ashtray, a recollection which brings back unpleasant memories.

"I had to yell at an ashtray, 'Stand up!' then 'Sit down!' until it obeyed by itself," he told Le Soleil. "But since I was unable to find the right tone, I had to raise the ashtray by myself over and over... I'm lucky not to be insane."

Total Silence

David Love was far less talkative about his experience when he was reached yesterday by Le Nouvelliste. During a telephone interview, he systematically refused to answer our questions, repeating that he is in a mediation process with Narconon and that an agreement might soon be concluded.

Silence was the same reply yesterday from Marc Bernard, director of Narconon Trois-Rivières, however he promised he would have a response today about the whole affair.

For the Anonymous collective, which combats the Church of Scientology, this turn of events in no way constitutes a surprise.

"It's always hard to know what happens behind closed doors. But the Church of Scientology uses organizations such as Narconon to project a nice public image. This image is what it's trying to save," says activist Marc Lacasse (fictitious name).

Anonymous has also been in constant contact with David Love, providing him support in his efforts.

"He came to our internet message board, and he was a man in urgent need of help. He was a well-placed individual in the establishment at Narconon. He thought no one would believe him," said the representative of the movement.

Clarifying the Situation

Since its arrival in Trois-Rivières, Narconon has regularly been the target of criticism. For this reason, "We must now clarify the situation," according to Sylvie Tardif, director of the COMSEP organization [a local non-profit organization that helps alleviate poverty and illiteracy].

Sylvie Tardif is also a municipal councilor and she had the opportunity to visit the detoxification centre a few years ago.

"I saw saunas and all that. They explained the vitamin stuff to me and I was told that people could sometimes be sick," said the representative of the Marie-de-l'Incarnation District.

Then, in 2008, Narconon sought to offer a $1,000 donation to COMSEP, the organization she heads. She refused. "Given the doubts we had, we felt it was preferable to abstain. We had heard about its ties with the Church of Scientology, but we weren't knowledgeable about it," says Sylvie Tardif.

At that time, several other organizations had criticized Narconon and this provoked heated discussions in the media.

A few months later, the Mauricie Health Agency [Agence de santé de la Mauricie] brought Narconon back into the spotlight when it recommended that Quebec make obligatory the certification of such private or community organizations. The Anonymous Quebec movement then came to Trois-Rivières to support this demand.

Narconon was not, however, at the end of its troubles. In February 2009, a new controversy arose over the purchase of the Vieilles Forges golf club by new owners connected with the Church of Scientology.

The administrative policies advocated by the managers were also based on the principles established by Ron Hubbard, and the training sessions were provided by a company located at the same premises as Narconon.

"I think it is up to the Health Agency to pursue things further and up to the government to make the necessary verifications. It would be beneficial for the citizens, but also for the organization," says Sylvie Tardif today.
    Last edited by mnql1; 22nd March 2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Tweak

Default Article in daily newspaper Le Nouvelliste, March 24

Translation of an article on the website of the Trois-Rivières daily newspaper Le Nouvelliste, March 24, 2010:

Narconon devra montrer patte blanche | Actualités

Photograph Caption:
    Narconon is among the 14 organizations in this region which will have to meet all the
    requirements of the Department of Health and Social Services before July 2011.

Narconon Will Have to Show its Credentials

March 24, 2010

(Trois-Rivières) Like all drug rehabilitation facilities in the province of Quebec which provide room and board, Narconon Trois-Rivières will have to show its credentials in order to obtain certification from the Quebec Department of Health and Social Services [ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux], a requirement which will be compulsory beginning on July 1, 2011.

Just days after the publication of statements made by David Edgar Love, a former patient who became an employee and is now speaking out against certain methods used by the centre, the Mauricie Health and Social Services Agency [Agence de santé et de services sociaux de la Mauricie] said it will be keeping an eye on Narconon.

"In the framework of Law 56, which provides for extending the compulsory certification of residences for the elderly to all organizations involved in drug rehabilitation, there are to be rigorous inspections to regulate and guarantee the safety and the quality of services," said Marc Lacour, director of social services.

As a result, the 14 organizations in our region will have to file an application and comply with all the requirements of the Department of Health and Social Services before July 2011. These requirements concern, in particular, the methods of intervention, the physical facilities, safety, employee training, and they might even include prohibiting affiliations to a religion or to a spiritual orientation.

It is known that Narconon has ties with with the Church of Scientology. Its methods of intervention are based on the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of the Church of Scientology.

Regarding this, Marc Bernard, director of Narconon, emphasizes that, despite this connection, Narconon is not a propaganda centre where the practice of Scientology is required or recommended.

"Here we accept all colours, all races, all religions. Among the 30 employees we have, only 4 or 5 are part of the church, including myself, I admit it. I have nothing to hide. As far as the patients are concerned, we do not talk to them about this. We respect each person's rights, above all. The proof is that we have welcomed Buddhists, Protestants, Muslims, Catholics, etc.." he said.

He also regrets that Narconon is regularly under fire for its links with Scientology. "These are unnecessary and unprovoked attacks which often come from individuals who do not even know the centre. They did not come over to visit us and meet us. Others want to hamper us because they think we are sitting on a silver mine and that Tom Cruise goes traipsing around the centre," he added, not without irony.

Since 2001, the centre has indeed been mired in controversy more than once. The latest example is the publication of statements made by David Edgar Love, who filed complaints with the Quebec Human Rights Commission [Commission des droits de la personne] and the Quebec Labour Standards Commission [Commission des normes du travail] for harassment and threats and who took the opportunity to lift the veil on certain treatment methods.

Mr. Bernard refused to comment on Mr. Love's accusations because he says that a settlement process is underway with Narconon. He did, however, wish to issue some clarifications about the treatment methods, in particular the purification, which consists of ingesting vitamins and spending several hours in a sauna.

"Withdrawal involves replacing drugs by balanced doses of vitamins and cleansing the body to restore the system, but everything is done with the approval of a doctor," he said.

Mr. Bernard also provided details about the "ashtray" example. Mr. Love claimed that he had to shout "Stand up!" and "Sit down!" until the ashtray obeyed by itself.

"Come on! We are not asking them to perform magic. The ashtray is part of a series of nine exercises in a communication course. It's an ashtray, but it could be any object. The goal is to bring a client to give real intention to his words and not just to mouth them."

Former employees filed complaints

About ten former employees of the Narconon Trois-Rivières centre have filed complaints with the Quebec Labour Standards Commission alleging that they were not paid for hours worked.

But according to one of these former employees, Richard Lussier, there are at least 25 people in the same situation.

"It's such a hassle, but Narconon takes advantage of defenseless people to line their pockets. I had to complain to the Labour Standards Commission to get progress on my case. I'm not looking for trouble, I just want my money. But I know that many other employees haven't complained. In all, there are more than 25 of us who haven't been paid in recent months," said Lussier.

Lussier, who had been hired as a cook, was fired last month. "Narconon owes me between $1,200 and $1,300.

"That's a lot when you have to pay your rent. I spoke out loud to get what I'm owed, because this wasn't the first time it happened, but they preferred to fire me," he said.

Mr. Lussier admits having received some pay, for example $100 every two or three weeks. "The centre gives us a little something to make us keep our traps shut, they make wonderful promises, but they never give us our full pay," he said.

Marc Bernard, director of Narconon, acknowledges that former employees have not been paid.

"I think about ten complaints have been brought against us. The recession hurt us. So we accumulated a bit of a backlog in payroll. I can assure you that these people will be paid and that it will be done as quickly as possible. We don't take this lightly," he said.

He believes, however, that these former employees panicked. "It's the system that wants this, that led them to the Labour Standards Commission.

"Yet we are constantly working to have enough money to settle our debts," said Mr. Bernard.

Narconon provides therapies which last an average of three to four months. According to Mr. Bernard, the centre receives about 35 to 40 customers every three months.

But a former employee contends that the centre receives no more than twenty people a year. Most of the clientele is from Ontario, British Columbia, and Alberta.

Moreover, the costs of this therapy are particularly high, more than $5,000 a month, for a total of $20,000.

"How much does the funeral of an addict cost in your opinion? More than $12,000. In addition, we have an excellent success rate here: it's between 70 and 76 per cent, while the average for other centres is 10 per cent," said Mr. Bernard.

At present, an investigation is still being conducted by the Labour Standards Commission, which refuses to reveal more about the number and the content of the current complaints.

However, spokesperson Jean-François Pelchat did not hide the fact that Narconon has a "long trail" of complaints since 2005.

"Quit a few complaints were brought by employees, but, in most cases, the files are closed, either because the centre paid the claims or because an agreement was reached, or the complaint was not accepted, or the employee withdrew," said Mr. Pelchat.

Silver Meritorious Patron Cherished's Avatar

This is a terrific article! Thanks once again, mnql1!

Default Article in daily newspaper Le Soleil, March 25, 2010

Translation of an article on the website of the Quebec City daily newspaper Le Soleil, March 25, 2010:

Le gouvernement pourrait faire fermer Narconon | Marc Allard | Société

The Government Could Shut Down Narconon

by Marc Allard
    Le Soleil

(Quebec City) The Quebec government could impose fines or even force Narconon to close next year if the Scientology detox centre in Trois-Rivières continues to offer its services without certification from the Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) [ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux (MSSS)].

Harold Fortin, press secretary of the Minister for Social Services, Lise Thériault, said yesterday that following Le Soleil's investigation on Narconon, the Mauricie Health and Social Services Agency [Agence de santé et de services sociaux de la Mauricie] contacted the centre to order it to comply with DHSS requirements .

Formerly optional, DHSS certification for private or community organizations which operate a "resource working in the drug addiction field and offering lodging" will become mandatory on July 1, 2011 by an amendment to the Health Services and Social Services Act adopted on November 3, 2009.

"The fact that this bill has been adopted will force Narconon to seek certification," Harold Fortin told Le Soleil. This is a perfect example in which it is important to take action in this area."

After July 1, 2011, all organizations that have not applied for or succeeded in obtaining certification will have to pay fines or close their doors.

According to Mr. Fortin, Narconon has demonstrated its intention to gain certification.

To obtain DHSS certification, drug rehabilitation centres must meet certain criteria regarding methods of intervention, physical facilities, safety, and employee training.

The current certification requires that at least 50 per cent of full-time intervention workers have a university degree or a college diploma in a discipline associated with intervention work. It also requires that such organizations recognize and respect the rights of residents in agreement with the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.

Troubling testimony

Since 2001, the centre has been the object of controversy more than once. On Sunday, Le Soleil revealed the testimony of David Edgar Love, a former client and employee of the Scientology detox centre who said he was the victim of harassment, threats, and several other violations of his rights, in addition to not having received a large part of his salary.

Mr. Love complained to the Quebec Human Rights Commission [Commission des droits de la personne] and the Quebec Labour Standards Commission [Commission des normes du travail], which are investigating his allegations.

Yesterday morning, in Le Nouvelliste, the director of Narconon Trois-Rivières, Marc Bernard, emphasized that, despite it ties with Scientology, Narconon is not a propaganda centre where the practice of Scientology is required or recommended.

"Here we accept all colours, all races, all religions. Among the 30 employees we have, only 4 or 5 are part of the church, including myself, I admit it. I have nothing to hide. As far as the patients are concerned, we do not talk to them about this. We respect each person's rights, above all. The proof is that we have welcomed Buddhists, Protestants, Muslims, Catholics, etc." he said.

Medical approval

Mr. Bernard also said that Narconon's "Purification Rundown", which is based on vitamins and saunas, is done with the approval of a doctor and that the purpose of the exercise which consists of giving orders to an ashtray is "to bring a client to give real intention to his words."

Marc Bernard also regrets that Narconon is regularly under fire for its links with Scientology. "These are unnecessary and unprovoked attacks which often come from individuals who do not even know the centre." he said.

Gold Meritorious Patron scooter's Avatar

I wonder when Tommy Davis is going to be sent to intervene in this one. :D

Paul David Schofield
    "Scooter" to his friends

-----
    If he has no friends and everyone's against him
    If he's failed in everything that he has tried
    Try to lift his load, help to bear his burden
    Let him know that you are walking by his side
    And if he feels that all is lost and he is fallen
    Try to place that poor man's feet on solid ground
    Just remember he's some mother's precious darlin'
    Always lift him up and never knock him down

Blind Alfred Reed

-----

I'll just leave this here

Default 2 articles in Le Nouvelliste, July 9, 2010

Translation of two articles in the Trois-Rivières daily Le Nouvelliste, July 9, 2010

Des plaintes contre Narconon | Paule Vermot-Desroches | Le Nouvelliste

Complaints against Narconon

Former employee says he was subjected to psychological and sexual harassment

by Paule Vermot-Desroches

Trois-Rivières - The Narconon Trois-Rivières organization once again finds itself in the public eye now that complaints concerning psychological and sexual harassment are under investigation by the Quebec Human Rights Commission (Commission des droits de la personne) and the Quebec Labour Standards Commission (Commission des normes du travail).

The person who filed these complaints, Montrealer David Edgar Love, is a former patient who became an employee of Narconon once his therapy was completed. Though he is well known for publicly speaking out against the detoxification centre for the past few months, David Edgar Love had always declined to give details about the basis of his complaints regarding acts that are alleged to have occurred while he was an employee, between May 2009 and October 2009. He agreed to discuss them with Le Nouvelliste.

David Edgar Love entered Narconon in December 2008 because of a drug problem. In May 2009, he completed his therapy and was hired by Narconon. One of his duties was to perform a follow-up with patients who had already followed therapy at Narconon. "The organization claimed that it had a success rate of over 70%, but I quickly realized that it was much lower than that. When I raised this issue with my employers, they were not pleased," notes Mr. Love.

This questioning of procedures and his overall attitude did not seem to please the management. David Love claims that he was then subjected to intense psychological pressure and forced at least eight times to undergo "PTS interviews". The English acronym PTS stands for "Potential Trouble Source" and, according to David Love and another activist against Scientology, Gerry Armstrong, this concept is directly related to Scientology teachings. "What they believe is that there does not exist any sickness, neither an illness nor an accident, unless we are in contact with 'suppressive persons', people who do not believe in Scientology teachings and who contaminate us from outside. For them, I had thus become a trouble source", explains David Love.

The "PTS interviews" which he says he was forced to undergo at Narconon were, in his view, intended to cut him off from the outside world to prevent him from revealing the information he possessed.

"They held me in a room and would not let me leave. They forced me to disconnect from my family. They yelled at me, they even threatened me. My life was threatened. It was horrible, horrible! I was even told that if I said anything about what I know, I would be stalked and I would disappear," says Mr. Love.

The Labour Standard Commission judged that there were sufficient grounds to look into the matter and the investigation is presently under way.

Sexual harassment

Furthermore, the day after he was hired, David Love says he received a quite explicit letter containing sexual advances from a woman in the organization's management.

Feeling embarrassed by this message, Mr. Love says that he mentioned it to certain colleagues in order to ask about how he should react. He even says that he was encouraged by some employees to accept the advances, a suggestion which he refused to follow.

He says that the sexual harassment from this executive continued up to a few days before his departure from Narconon in October 2009. This matter has been reported to the Human Rights Commission.

In both cases, the employer refused to enter into mediation with David Love and an investigation is currently in progress. The result of the investigation could either acquit Narconon or bring the organization before the Human Rights Tribunal (Tribunal des droits de la personne).

Reached by telephone, the director of the Narconon Trois-Rivières centre, Marc Bernard, refused to make any comment regarding David Edgar Love's allegations, preferring to let the procedures of the Human Rights Commission and of the Labour Standards Commission follow their course.

Five Moves in Eight Months

David Edgar Love says he has been persecuted long after he left Narconon

by Paule Vermot-Desroches

Trois-Rivières - The connections between Scientology teachings and the therapies provided by Narconon have already been the subject of many news reports and of comments and discussions all over the internet, especially on websites of groups opposed to Scientology, for example, Anonymous.

In an interview with Le Nouvelliste a few months ago, the director of Narconon Trois-Rivières, Marc Bernard, admitted that four or five employees out of about thirty staff members belonged to the Church of Scientology.

Marc Bernard said he had nothing to hide on this subject, but he also stated that the therapy centre was not being used as a proselytizing agency where the practice of Scientology is obligatory or recommended. On the contrary, he maintained that all races and religions are accepted at Narconon, and that the employees do not speak about Scientology with the patients.

David Edgar Love says he was surprised to read this statement. He arrived at Narconon in December 2008 for therapy and he says he had to view a documentary film that discussed Scientology teachings.

"I was even accompanied by a management person during the screening to ensure that I watched the entire film," he says.

In October 2009, upset by the experiences he says happened to him, David Love wanted to leave his job as an employee at Narconon. "But you can't leave Scientology just like that, especially when you have as much information as I could have acquired," says David Love.

He moved to Montreal and he says he has had to change his address five times since October 2009 because he was receiving threats from certain persons.

"On my FaceBook page, visible to everyone, I was declared an enemy. To them, this means that I can be harmed, robbed, spied upon without any retaliation from the church," recounts David Love, who gave a copy of this FaceBook message to the Labour Standards Commission and the Human Rights Commission.

These allegations are also under investigation by the Labour Standards Commission and the Human Rights Commission. Narconon declined to comment on this as well.
    Last edited by mnql1; 9th July 2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Tweaks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast