Thread: Brainwashing (Long)

Default Brainwashing (Long)

On behalf of Consensus over at WWP I'd like to bump/present this (imho) excellent thread here for your reading entertainment.
    Yes, I know this subject has been thrashed many times over, and surely could use someone with mad skillz to amalgamate them all into a coherent entitiy, but until then I think bringing up some of the necro'd threads cannot hurt.
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-s...ng-long-14420/

Apologies to admins & Emma if this has already been done, I'll...just...go...suck a egg r' something......
    'Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.'
    Marcus Aurelius

THE BIG LIST of EX'S who have Spoken Out fx'd

Gold Meritorious Patron GreyWolf's Avatar

A worthy tome and a good explanation on why SO's and Regges seem to be telling the truth and are convinced themselves that they are telling the truth.

3. Thanks Ogsonofgroo says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ogsonofgroo View Post
    On behalf of Consensus over at WWP I'd like to bump/present this (imho) excellent thread here for your reading entertainment.
    Yes, I know this subject has been thrashed many times over, and surely could use someone with mad skillz to amalgamate them all into a coherent entitiy, but until then I think bringing up some of the necro'd threads cannot hurt.
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-s...ng-long-14420/

Apologies to admins & Emma if this has already been done, I'll...just...go...suck a egg r' something......
    An important point from the link:
    However, the experimenter then asked the subject for a small favor. He was told that a needed research assistant was not able to make it to the experiment, and the participant was asked to fill in and try to persuade another subject (who was actually a confederate) that the dull, boring tasks the subject had just completed were actually interesting and engaging. Some participants were paid $20 for the favor, another group was paid $1, and a control group was not requested to perform the favor.

When asked to rate the peg-turning tasks later, those in the $1 group rated them more positively than those in the $20 group and control group. This was explained by Festinger and Carlsmith as evidence for cognitive dissonance. Experimenters theorized that people experienced dissonance between the conflicting cognitions "I told someone that the task was interesting", and "I actually found it boring". When paid only $1, students were forced to internalize the attitude they were induced to express, because they had no other justification. Those in the $20 condition, it is argued, had an obvious external justification for their behavior. Behavior internalization is only one way to explain the subject's ratings of the task. The research has been extended in later years. It is now believed that there is a conflict between the belief that "I am not a liar", and the recognition that "I lied". Therefore, the truth is brought closer to the lie, so to speak, and the rating of the task goes up.
    For a long time, I've been saying that Scn very deliberately keeps staff pay at absurdly low levels, because if staff were paid at even minimum wage, they would be more likely to see public as customers.

The attitude towards public that I encountered while in the Sea Org was generally hostile. Public were viewed as inherently out-ethics, because if their ethics were in, they would have joined the Sea Org. This may have been part of the rationale for all the OT 7 sec checking -- "What is your out-ethics scene that prevents you from joining SO?!?". (The major part of the rationale were, first, to get more money and secondly to keep the OT 7's cowed and fearful).
    “The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
    ― Ayn Rand,