Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding work after Scientology...a new project.

Default Finding work after Scientology...a new project.

RightOn on wwp is the person who came up with the list of former members who've spoken out.

Here is his latest idea: Getting together all the stories about the difficulties in finding a job once a person leaves the cult. I'd say the SO stories would be very impactful.

The CoS doesn't give letters of recommendation, referrals, etc. Who knows what they'd say if a potential employer called and asked for verification of employment from an application from an ex seeking work???

How hard was it to find a job? What obstacles did you have to overcome? Did you list the CoS as a former employer on job applications?

I think this as well as the disconnection stories would be a real eye opener to many people.

If you'd like to share your story about this you can pm me and I'll pass it on to RightOn. Or you can post it here and I'll pass it on.

Can someone who is registered at OCMB post this there as well. The ex-SO site too?

Gold Meritorious Patron Ogsonofgroo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its an interesting idea with merit I think.
    It could include section for solutions, ie. how to write resumes/evaluate what you do know, tips on job searching, applying for grants to get back to school and so on.

'Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.'
    Marcus Aurelius

THE BIG LIST of EX'S who have Spoken Out fx'd

Not Sea Org Qualified Mest Lover's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I never mentioned anything about CLO SCN or SO to any potential employer.

I started by getting jobs word of mouth.
    Then I expanded on them with my skills and got refferals for other jobs.

After a while and a whole lot of jobs, the resume and previous employment doesnt include anything to do with Scientology.

I always did wonder what my background checks turned up but I always got cleared because of them.

The Registry of Motor Vehicles was suprised that they could hand over a sheet with my driving record on it because it had 0 infractions for over 5 years and they won't just give you that report otherwise. I used that to get a few jobs.

WORD OF MOUTH and HARD WORK ETHICS.

I was the: Security Chief CLO EUS 1989 -1991
    Fine Print: -> I never signed the Sea Organization billion year contract!
    What ethical organization would allow the likes of me to be an uncontracted security chief?
    Scientology, that's who - Idiots! Sea Organization my ass!
    Need help leaving? call this number: 1-866-XSEAORG You can leave NOW! REALLY!
    Make your Freedom Day TODAY!

Since I went through this --

Consider yourself starting over.

Build your resume using temp jobs, any type, with large companies. Make friends you can use as references. Use your resume as a marketing piece.

I never mentioned Scientology or the Sea Org anywhere, and I don't talk about it when working. In the Tampa Bay area, not a popular subject. Trust me. For real jobs, this distraction in the interview will not get you the job.

This was a way into professional work. I don't know about the trades. The best case scenario: start your own business.

Try to act like a human being, not creepy homo novis. Obsessively using the tone scale on people or asking for withholds--not wanted. Relax. Be friendly and helpful and don't use vulgar language.

Otherwise, fuck it and welcome to the real world.

Default Let Scientology disappear from your resume...

After I closed my mission, I went job shopping in high tech corporations at the age of sixty.

In interviews, I would describe my skill sets instead of job titles. Regging was sales, being a mission holder became executive experience in hiring, management, project management, handling of personnel issues, etc.

I found it easier to get sales jobs at first because every company burns up sales people and spits them out periodically. If you keep your eyes and ears open, you will learn a lot about business in a very short time in a sales position.

The most important thing to remember is that 85% of ALL POSITIONS are filled by personal referral. All the head hunters, employment sites, and resume shops account for only 15% of jobs filled. The answer is for you to network. Tell EVERYONE YOU KNOW that you are looking for work when you meet them. Don't be boring, just use a good comm cycle and when they ask what you do, say I am looking for a job with company X, do you know anyone who works there?

There is more to it of course, but I wrote most of it down in 2005 to pass on to others looking to get work after the age of 55. The name of my book is Danger Quicksand - Have A Nice Day and it is available as a FREE DOWNLOAD at bentcrowpress.com

About 70 thousand copies have been downloaded and I still get letters from people who swear that I must have visited their company in order to be so accurate about the insanity that was there.

There are companies that are almost as crazy as the Sea Org and I describe how to detect that and how to extricate yourself from a bad situation with your sanity intact.

The book also has chapters on interviewing for work and on starting your own company when you have learned enough that you no longer want to play the corporate game.

Download the book and you will find getting and changing jobs at any age will become much easier.
    If new ideas hurt your mind, ignore them.

DON'T list them as a reference. Are you kidding me? The BEST they will say about you is that you worked for a mind-fucking cult for whatever period that you did. The likelihood is that they will also tell the inquiring mind that you were unreliable, caused mayhem, etc. Remember that they now consider you an ENEMY. Would you refer a prospective employer to talk to your enemies about your character?

Not Sea Org Qualified Mest Lover's Avatar
    Blog Entries

EVA

I was the: Security Chief CLO EUS 1989 -1991
    Fine Print: -> I never signed the Sea Organization billion year contract!
    What ethical organization would allow the likes of me to be an uncontracted security chief?
    Scientology, that's who - Idiots! Sea Organization my ass!
    Need help leaving? call this number: 1-866-XSEAORG You can leave NOW! REALLY!
    Make your Freedom Day TODAY!

Fortunately, I was only in the SO for a year and a half. A major reason for my leaving the SO was the realization that if I stayed for much longer I would have burned my bridges in the real world.

When I got out, I looked up a guy who I had worked for pre-Scn. He had recently started his own company, he remembered me and had been happy with me, so he said welcome aboard.

The guy I had worked for just before joining the SO was a Scn, who was very understanding of my circumstance. He covered for me by agreeing to say I had still been working for him for 6 of the months that I was in the SO. I then was able to just stretch the two jobs to cover the gap.

With a few exceptions, revealing yourself as a Scientologist is VERY negative in the business/professional world.
    The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by byte301 View Post
    RightOn on wwp is the person who came up with the list of former members who've spoken out.

Here is his latest idea: Getting together all the stories about the difficulties in finding a job once a person leaves the cult. I'd say the SO stories would be very impactful.

The CoS doesn't give letters of recommendation, referrals, etc. Who knows what they'd say if a potential employer called and asked for verification of employment from an application from an ex seeking work???

How hard was it to find a job? What obstacles did you have to overcome? Did you list the CoS as a former employer on job applications?

I think this as well as the disconnection stories would be a real eye opener to many people.

If you'd like to share your story about this you can pm me and I'll pass it on to RightOn. Or you can post it here and I'll pass it on.

Can someone who is registered at OCMB post this there as well. The ex-SO site too?
    always provide link

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/42-en...-1000-a-65669/
    http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/vanderkolk/

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world."

-Dalai Lama

Silver Meritorious Patron Miss Pert's Avatar

I was not only on staff for 2 1/2 years and therefore can't get reference for that time, prior to that I worked for a Scio for 12 years. My ex-boss is now OTVIII and disconnected from me so I don't think I'll be getting a reference there either, although I have put the job on my resume because it's hard to account for that much time out.

At present I am being a nanny for my sister's little girl whilst studying to become a vet nurse but to continue my studies I will need to be employed in this field. Even though I can get references for the prior work, not having current references makes it a little tough but I won't be giving up any time soon.
    MY GOAL IN LIFE IS TO BE AS GOOD A PERSON AS MY DOG ALREADY THINKS I AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast