Thread: How will Scientology -as body of work not CofS- survive?

Hybrid View

Fool on the Hill Voltaire's Child's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default How will Scientology -as body of work not CofS- survive?

This is mainly posted with my FZ, Independent and Indie friends in mind, though of course I'm always glad to see others participating in those discussions. But please do note where I've posted this if you're one of those who are pained by any positive mention of Scn methods and ideas.

I see a lot of posts and discussions about Scn going away and being obliterated, etc. Not just CofS (which deserves to go away completely. No reformed church, just needs to GO) but also the ology aspect. And my perception is that a lot of people have wondered what's going to happen to this particular ology, often citing the Free zone, the church of Marty, and other endeavors.

My personal belief is that when all's said and done and some decades and maybe even a century or two have elapsed, that we may see some indie or FZ groups here and there- though I tend to doubt it- but that what will probably happen is that the ideas and methods will survive piece meal.

I've already heard of various New Age and pop psychologist types referencing ideas and terms that they could only have obtained through Scn literature or courses. Those concepts were blended in to their various talks and presentations. I actually think that this is exactly the way it's going to continue to be.

In a way, that's poetic justice considering that Hubbard himself did the piece meal take from this, take from that approach.

You've heard me say many times over the years that most, if not all religions and philosophies get changed. I usually say that in response to those who protest that Free Zoners aren't really practicing Scn as Hubbard intended. (Yeah? Neither's David Miscavige and he owns CofS.) There are virtually no religions (fundie Islam and Chasidic Judaism may be exceptions) that practice their religions the way they originally were. Just look at all the Christian sects and offshoots. They literally cannot be counted, there are so many.

And there are groups and ologies and ideas and spinoffs of major religions- religions that weren't even started by a sci fi writer -- oh wait, the Bible's full of sci fi, never ind- whose ideas were borrowed by people who don't even call themselves Jews or Christians or Moslems or whatever.

And so it goes with Scn. The process has already begun and I believe that in the long run, this will be how most of the ideas and methods continue. I think that also must mean that some of the ideas and methods in Scn might disappear altogether.
    I am truly into myself, yes. And I'm just as interested in other people. When I'm not thinking of one, I'm thinking of the other.

2. Likes asteroid liked this post

It is "ironic" (more like it is an obvious end result to most) that Hubbard's insistence on centralizing everything and keeping it "pure" has probably been the main factor in the formation of distinct offshoots (squirrel) groups and teachings. For someone who was supposedly so wise and everything, even with his moderate preparation for such situations (from the start, remind your followers that any (inevitable) spinoffs are evil, evil, evil), history has shown that particularly authoritarian and controlling religious bodies will end up pushing people away, who will just do their own thing anyway.

I will miss the CoS; the non-stop slapstick comedic antics they put on are just priceless.

Gold Meritorious Patron GreyWolf's Avatar

I belive that at it's core, Scn was wrong. I believe that Ron was wrong. Otherwise DM would not have been able to take over.

It will survive as a form of curiosity and obscure entertainment, possible even used in case studies on destructive cults, other than that it will be of little value once the remaining diehard Scientologists die off.

I'm not sure you can even market any of it into a franchise, such as a Xenu UFO themed Donut Shop or Bowling Alley. It's science fiction is just as uninteresting and outdated as it's 1950s flavor of pop psychology.

I see the Super Power's Theme Park being a bigger flop than his empty mega stores known as Ideal Orgs.

I do see some designers using Cold War Era Symbology in retro casual wear, so maybe in another thirty years someone will come out with a retro line of cult fashion and use some of Scientology's symbols
    Yes lurkers you are not alone, everyone thinks Scientology is creepy, it's not just you

http://www.mediacurves.com/Religion/...logy/Index.cfm

Blog Entries

VC,

A sensible OP you have raised.

In my view, I'd say that Hubbard tapped into an age old dream humanity had pursued for eons . . . the search for the truth of our existence.

It happens he corrupted that search, but the search continues . . . and in my view it will be continued and include some of the material he published that folks find beneficial and workable; and that which is demonstrably stupid, criminal, false and/or fraudulent will be dropped.

But what is carried forward will be melded with other materials and discoveries. One thing is certain, and that is, there is much research still be done to realize the ideal . . . and so whatever of Hubbard's thing that is carried forward will be expanded upon, areas that were addressed negligently by him and so are incomplete with be expanded upon to be completed, and areas that are erroneous will likely be corrected.

Rog
    Life is supposed to be enjoyed, Mate!

Don't show me the money . . . give me the TRUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    VC,

A sensible OP you have raised.

In my view, I'd say that Hubbard tapped into an age old dream humanity had pursued for eons . . . the search for the truth of our existence.

It happens he corrupted that search, but the search continues . . . and in my view it will be continued and include some of the material he published that folks find beneficial and workable; and that which is demonstrably stupid, criminal, false and/or fraudulent will be dropped.

But what is carried forward will be melded with other materials and discoveries. One thing is certain, and that is, there is much research still be done to realize the ideal . . . and so whatever of Hubbard's thing that is carried forward will be expanded upon, areas that were addressed negligently by him and so are incomplete with be expanded upon to be completed, and areas that are erroneous will likely be corrected.

Rog
    If you remove everything Hubbard stole and tried to claim as his own all that's left is the stupid, criminal, false and/or fraudulent material.

Why build a foundation on that? Why not just scrap the con game altogether and reference the actual people who researched and authored the material he stole, and kick the con man and his fraud-ology to the curb where it belongs.

Hubbard is a Cancer as is Scientology, anything to do with it or him will never be taken for anything more than it is ... a con game.
    Yes lurkers you are not alone, everyone thinks Scientology is creepy, it's not just you

http://www.mediacurves.com/Religion/...logy/Index.cfm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post

<snipped>

<snipped>

Rog
    Can you possibly lay this out? Posit a scenario. For example, some people may continue to offer the Purification Rundown? This may be but if it is no longer protected under the "religion" umbrella, it will require medical supervision and proof of safety and efficacy.

What parts survive if it no longer has religious status?
    "Scientology: The only game in the universe where the rapist is your ethics officer." - HelluvaHoax

"Yes Scientology at this point is nothing but its own funeral. You might as well leave early and beat the traffic. " - Thrak

Default Do mediums still produce ectoplasm?

http://realghosts.org/do-mediums-sti...uce-ectoplasm/

"Do mediums still produce ectoplasm?

I was doing some searches concerning paranormal, etc. and found a lot of what appeared to be older pictures of mediums, psychics, etc. producing entities from their noses, etc. supposedly made from “ectoplasm”. I assume that these were recognized psychics of the time. One photo showed what appeared to be a full body apparition appearing out of the psychics nose, another a face, etc....."

Have you seen the trash bin of history where "ectoplasm" went to?
    Scientology will be found there.