Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Frank's story about brainwashing (thread merge)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
    I'll throw this out there -- not because I know this is true -- but because I've read it in various places. Perhaps others who have direct knowledge will correct it if it's wrong or will confirm it if it's right.

I've read / heard the Mayos got around $5 million as a settlement/gag fee, needed and used mainly to pay legal bills, which had mounted considerably.

Right? Wrong? Dox? Plox?

TG1
    http://www.lermanet.com/scientologyscandals/silence.htm - guestimates $2.5 million.

Default A little background info

I have no idea if anyone would be interested in knowing how this story of Brainwashing from Bill started out but I thought I'd tell it anyway.
    I recently found Bill on FB. He and I were pretty good friends at AOLA back in the 60's and early '70's. Before he became a hard ass SO officer.http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/smilies/yes.gif I friended him and started a dialog. Mainly I wanted to thank him for having my, then husband, Jack Pearlman, declared back in '73. That ended my years of resentment towards Bill and re-habed what had once been a good friendship.
    About a year ago I started reading about the current COS online. Up till then I hadn't been interested in looking at what was going on. It had been so many years and I still had a huge ARCX I was willingly and knowingly holding onto. Anyway, once I learned about the hideous, degraded mess that the COS had become and blew a ton of charge, I realized that I felt grateful to Bill for getting Jack declared and myself leaving with him. Who knows where we'd be now in regard to the "church." I'd like to think we would have gotten out sooner rather than later but I'll never know. Heber and Gretchen Wedow Schwartz did try to recover us at one point but we weren't having it..thank God! Ah geeze...I have a habit of digressing like this..sorry.
    As I mentioned earlier, Bill and I started a dialog on FB. Later joined by my former brother-in-law, Murray Pearlman. At some point Bill told us his story. Another of Bill's FB friend"s, Scott saw it and encouraged Bill to let the story be published. Greg Wells kindly published it here for Bill.
    As so many have already posted here, I too believe it's essential to the healing process to get the pieces of the puzzle put together. I have not admitted this anywhere else but I will now, in case it helps someone. After I left Scn. I became chronically, and seriously depressed. At one point, in 1995 I tried and almost was successful at committing suicide. What was truly frighting to me about that was that I didn't think there was any help out there for me. I wouldn't have been caught dead going to a psychiatrist. Probably still wouldn't. It has been only recently that I realized the direct line to my chronic depression was Scientology and what ended up happening in the end.http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/smilies/duh.gif
    I won't go into another long winded explanation but suffice to say that I feel that the depression has lifted. If it ever happens again, at least I know what the trigger is. It's a total BS trigger where I make myself wrong and the "church" right and I recognize it as such now. So you see Bill, your info is valuable on more than one level.
    I don't know how much Bill will want to be involved on this board but I sure do thank and admire him for what he has given so far.
    I am still "looking." Marcy Pearlman Sorensen

3. Thanks Boojuum, ClearEyed, Kutta says "thank you" for this post

I don't know the amount but to cover legal fees but it couldn't possibly be enough to cover the terrorist actions done to them and the staff at ACC. That was truly horrible and uncalled for but I am thinking in a civil manner. That is not what the CoS is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite View Post
    Thanks, Infinite.

There's so much information already revealed about the events of "early days" that's been outed by others who've already spoken out that it seems to me there's little left to be revealed.

Perhaps what we need most are research librarians and wikis.

Thanks again.

TG1

Default Mayo money

I would imagine if there was a settlement some of those legal expenses were either pro bono (donated) or by "winning" or I should say settling the legal fees were part of the overall deal...Mayo getting some money (the more the better as far as I'm concerned..which is quite possible)...He'll be back gag or no gag...be patient

gwells

Quote Originally Posted by AnonyMary View Post
    The subject of scientology being brainwashing has been much discussed here.
    Brainwashing threads on ESMB

Brainwashing is an important piece of the puzzle and your revelation here is all the more important in substanciating it.

Not sure if you ever read this:

Brainwashing in Scientology's Rehabilitation Project Force (RPF)
    http://www.solitarytrees.net/pubs/skent/brain.htm

One of the best and earliest references on Hubbard's use of hypnotism in Dianetics is by Jon Atack:
    "Never believe a hypnotist"
    An investigation of L. Ron Hubbard's statements about hypnosis and its relationship to his Dianetics. by Jon Atack HTML and links by Tilman Hausherr
    http://home.snafu.de/tilman/j/hypnosis.html

Research by Jon Atack on Scientology, Dianetics and L. Ron Hubbard
    http://home.snafu.de/tilman/j/index.html
    Professor Kent has still to come out with his RPF book, and I believe the missing key piece of "tech" is the Truth Rundown.

We don't yet have the Truth Rundown Hubbard advices/orders and the final pilot issues, in the public domain.

Although, we do have Dan Koon and Russ Williams, who are two ex Sea Org member who were long term staffers in the Senior C/S Int Office subunit called LRH's Tech Research and Compilations (and piloting) Unit, at the Int Base.

The two, Dan and Russ, will be able to tell the details of the writing and piloting of the Truth Rundown issues, and I'll email Professor Kent of this and their contact info so he can interview them.

A lot has happened to help expose the tech trends in recent decades, Dan's written admirably, and I believe on this point of the Truth Rundown, Dan and Russ I hope will give the history.

Missing from the Kent RPF writings he's done so far, are details of the Truth Rundown procedure, which along with the "viewpoint shift" requirements to graduate the RPF, translates into brainwashing, when the whole atmosphere of what is acceptable "viewpoint shifts" exists. And what is acceptable "viewoint shifts" in order to graduate, is ABSOLUTELY part of the RPF politics game of getting back into good standing to be allowed to graduate from the RPF.

Thanks for these links!

The battle of this whole larger discussion of how Scientology tech could be brainwashing, comes down to a lot of important details that official Scientology is expert at sidestepping.

It is up to outside ex members and interested public, and scholars, thank god for Stephen Kent, to deal with what Scientology internally refuses to deal with.
    Chuck Beatty
    ex Sea Org (1975-2003)
    412-260-1170
    chuckbeatty77@aol.com

"I think a lot of my father's stuff doesn't work. So I false report whenever I need to. Personally, I think my father's crazy."
    - Quentin Hubbard Class 12 Scientologist, statement to Dennis Erlich
    http://www.lermanet.com/exit/quentincoroner.htm

8. Thanks Boojuum, ClearEyed says "thank you" for this post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaHoax! View Post
    While it is MORE sane to say people blow from ARC-Xs than to say they blow because of O/W's......that is not really the total picture either.

NAZI ALERT!

What if someone escaped a concentration camp?

Was it because they were ARC-Xen?

I don't think so.

That is a very odd, culty way to look at things.

They escaped because they were being tortured, terrorized and killed.

What's wrong with English?

So why did Scientologists "blow"?

The first part of the answer is THEY DID NOT BLOW.

They escaped.

And they didn't escape because of their "case" (ArcX, O/W, etc...)

They escaped because they became smart enough or strong enough to escape.

Or thru sheer desperate self-preservation.

That ain't no ArcX.

That's sanity.
    Well said. Once again, in your own inimitable manner, you've nailed it. Basically, if one accepts the idea that "blows" are due to "ARC-X" you are confusing "blow" for "escape" and giving the illusory concept of "ARC" credibility where none exists. Coming to ones' senses, escaping the cult, acknowledging the futility of the tech, and getting on with life is, albeit difficult, the practical application of sanity.

The simple fact is that Hubbard allegedly admitting one lie, does not, in any way, shape, or form, validate any of the other lies.

Thanks for posting that Marcy. I personally have gained from the different stories here of ESMB. You are so right about the depression caused or triggered from Cos it is truly damning and debilitating. I find the stories from Bill Franks and Dart Smohen so enlightening along with others. There is a real comforting that comes from it. I guess that is why the CoS had to kill Cult Awareness Network.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaHoax! View Post
    And it is ludicrous to believe that Scientology either:

1) Knows the reason people blow.

2) Could do anything about it even if they did know the reason.

EXAMPLE (true one): Before I left the Sea Org I got a review and it ended up with the Green Form.

'Continuously Committing Present Time Overts' is what read--and was taken up with the L & N "WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PREVENT?"

My LFBD F/N item was: "Restimulation from Scientology".

Now what, technophiles?

Whadyagonnadonow?
    You clearly succeeded. I take it the above is your success story.

Default Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    I have no idea if anyone would be interested in knowing how this story of Brainwashing from Bill started out but I thought I'd tell it anyway.
    I recently found Bill on FB. He and I were pretty good friends at AOLA back in the 60's and early '70's. Before he became a hard ass SO officer.http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/smilies/yes.gif I friended him and started a dialog. Mainly I wanted to thank him for having my, then husband, Jack Pearlman, declared back in '73. That ended my years of resentment towards Bill and re-habed what had once been a good friendship.
    About a year ago I started reading about the current COS online. Up till then I hadn't been interested in looking at what was going on. It had been so many years and I still had a huge ARCX I was willingly and knowingly holding onto. Anyway, once I learned about the hideous, degraded mess that the COS had become and blew a ton of charge, I realized that I felt grateful to Bill for getting Jack declared and myself leaving with him. Who knows where we'd be now in regard to the "church." I'd like to think we would have gotten out sooner rather than later but I'll never know. Heber and Gretchen Wedow Schwartz did try to recover us at one point but we weren't having it..thank God! Ah geeze...I have a habit of digressing like this..sorry.
    As I mentioned earlier, Bill and I started a dialog on FB. Later joined by my former brother-in-law, Murray Pearlman. At some point Bill told us his story. Another of Bill's FB friend"s, Scott saw it and encouraged Bill to let the story be published. Greg Wells kindly published it here for Bill.
    As so many have already posted here, I too believe it's essential to the healing process to get the pieces of the puzzle put together. I have not admitted this anywhere else but I will now, in case it helps someone. After I left Scn. I became chronically, and seriously depressed. At one point, in 1995 I tried and almost was successful at committing suicide. What was truly frighting to me about that was that I didn't think there was any help out there for me. I wouldn't have been caught dead going to a psychiatrist. Probably still wouldn't. It has been only recently that I realized the direct line to my chronic depression was Scientology and what ended up happening in the end.http://www.forum.exscn.net/images/smilies/duh.gif
    I won't go into another long winded explanation but suffice to say that I feel that the depression has lifted. If it ever happens again, at least I know what the trigger is. It's a total BS trigger where I make myself wrong and the "church" right and I recognize it as such now. So you see Bill, your info is valuable on more than one level.
    I don't know how much Bill will want to be involved on this board but I sure do thank and admire him for what he has given so far.
    I am still "looking." Marcy Pearlman Sorensen
    Thanks for posting this Marcy, and welcome to ESMB. Yes, I believe truth and 'context' is VITAL to the healing process. And that is why further insights from Bill would be of such great value.

By the way, to insert smiley here on ESMB, you just have to click on the one you want in the menu to the right of the text box. That will insert the code that renders the appropriate smiley.

Love to hear your full story sometime....
    "Deception is the ethics of war." - John Singleton Mosby

Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast