Page 25 of 79 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Gratitude ~ The Thread

Smile Re: Gratitude ~ The Thread

Yes, you can fly, but first you have to break out of that cocoon. You are capable of self rescue at all times. "Every blade of grass has its own special angel watching over it and whispering, 'grow...grow'." -The Talmud "I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be, for I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our disposition, and not upon our circumstances." -Martha Washington

2. Thanks Commander Birdsong says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Commander Birdsong liked this post

Red face Re: Gratitude ~ The Thread

I love this essay by the inspiring Lisa Mae Brunson!

"The Value of Three Dollars: A True Story Of How One Simple Act Created A Miracle.
    by Lisa Mae Brunson

Hello Lovelies,

Sometimes the way we choose to act can not only shape the rest of our day, but can establish the building blocks within our own lives and set the tone for anger or transformation... and so I will share a true story...

I went to Starbucks early one morning to grab some iced tea where I witnessed this really mean and angry woman verbally berate another woman in her car for not moving far enough out the way that she could not back up her own car. It was clear the poor woman had nowhere to go, but the angry woman didn't care. Her position was that she needed to back her huge Escalade and be on her merry way. I'm sure I had a look of horror on my face as I watched Angry Woman jump out her gigantic SUV and stick her head in the other woman's car window and proceed to yell and call the woman a 'fat cow' among a slew of expletives. I was quite stunned that this early in the morning someone would have enough energy to be so mean. I barely had enough energy to be grumpy with myself.

I got in my car shaking my head in wonder. It made me think of all the times I've gotten angry with someone, which unfortunately has been more than I care to admit. I also realized that most of the time when I am angry with someone else to the degree I would raise my voice, nine times out of ten, I am really angry with myself for some thing or another. I'm not proud of that fact, but it is the way of life. Or is it?

Watching this angry woman tear into a complete stranger over something that was not in the control of the other woman made me really think of how we as individuals choose to react in certain situations. It also gave me pause for thought as to how I intend to make these kinds of decisions in the future, if I happen to feel the need to express myself in a manner that contradicts who I want to be. I had to wonder if this woman later went home to feel any kind of remorse at her inappropriate reaction.

Thirty minutes later I pulled into a parking lot to pick up my dry cleaning. Upon stopping I noticed a homeless man seated at the edge of the curb with a smile, eagerly watching me and waiting for me to alight from my vehicle. Homelessness is one of my platforms. I am a dedicated supporter of eradicating this senseless epidemic. In fact, I rarely speak of these certain acts of kindness I regularly participate in, but I try to practice Giving when I can and often pass out sandwiches and other items. I've been known to give my last dollar to someone who I felt needed it more than me. Some days though, I am ashamed to say that I simply don't want to give what I have. Only because I feel I may need it more…

If I feel a strong desire to help, I try to go with that impulse. I have read in many wonderful books of wisdom that if you should feel that desire to help another, you should never ignore it. It may just be an angel in disguise that you may help, at which point miracles and gifts will await you. The act of unselfish giving is the creator of abundance. This act opens the doorway for new and wonderful things to come your way. I firmly believe that.

When I saw this man smiling at me I felt upset for some reason. Maybe it was the residual negative energy I felt when I watched Angry Woman's verbal tirade. I only knew that I wanted to hop out quickly from my car and sprint to the nearest entranceway. So I grabbed my wallet, tucked it deep in my jacket so it would not be seen, and I jumped out of my car. Upon taking two steps the man smiled and said: "God bless you. Have a good day!" There was no other request for money. Just a simple blessing.

I wished him the same and blushed my way into the dry cleaners. As I waited for my clothing, I couldn't help thinking how silly I was. What was I so afraid of? Why did I want to run so fast? On any other day I probably would have walked right up to him, handed him a couple of dollars and wished him a blessed day. Why had I tried to avoid him?

I felt such a strong impulse to make things right again. I wasn't sure what 'right' would be. But I knew I wanted to give him a few dollars, even if it only bought him a cup of coffee. I felt such a loving energy toward this man that I wanted to help him in any way I could. After I paid for my clothes, I felt instantaneously better when I resolved to give the kind gentleman the three dollars I had left in my purse.

When I stepped outside the man was gone. I looked everywhere and did not see him. I felt such a sense of deflation that I was practically rooted in place. Why didn't I just give him money in the first place? Why didn't I stop for two minutes and chat with him? I usually do that. Why didn't I do that today?

All sorts of thoughts were in my head and I felt a sense of loss that I cannot describe in this blog. But there was this emptiness that spanned deeper than missing a connection with this man. It was as if I had failed something. Perhaps a test…

I told myself that I would wait and see if the man came back. If he came back I would give him the three dollars and it would be what was supposed to happen. Never mind that I wasn't even sure what was 'supposed to happen.' That was what was put into my heart… So I walked into the 7Eleven next to the shop and pretended to check out the lottery numbers, one eye trained out the glass window searching for any sign of the little man. When more than enough time passed where I convinced myself I had just blew it, I walked back to my car feeling defeated.

As I was preparing to sit in the driver's seat, I turned one more time behind me, filled with hope that I would see him again. And sure enough, there he was! Walking back to his post from across the street, a huge smile plastered across his face as if he knew something magical that I could only hope to understand. I waited for him to come closer and then I rooted around in my bag for the three-dollar bills.

His eyes lit up with a light that nearly blinded me as he reached for the money. Never before had I ever seen anyone so happy or filled with gratitude. "Thank you! Thank you! God bless you! God bless you!" He said, over and over as he took several bows. He said it so many times you would have thought I gave him a million dollars. "Thank you so much! You are so kind!" He kept saying to me, even when I was preparing myself to drive away. I wondered if he had counted the bills I gave him. Three dollars certainly wasn't the kind of money you gave bows for.

Even as I backed away he took one last bow as he sat back on the edge of the curb with a serene smile, just as I had found him. I heard him say "Thank you!" one more time as I drove off. In the rearview mirror he was still smiling a grand smile watching me drive off. I was shaking by the time I had made it to the first stoplight a block away.

Three dollars had made this man's day and I often complain about the amount of money I have left in my bank account.

But I DO remember feeling such gratitude before. I remember because I grew up 'poor' and I have been homeless before. I do know that feeling, but I had forgotten what it felt like to be thankful for three dollars. I had forgotten what it felt like to be thankful for every meal I have and every stitch of clothing on my back. I had forgotten that no matter how much or how 'little' you have, that maybe, just maybe it might be enough.

This man gave me so much more than three dollars.

My morning was filled with inspiration. It began with an angry woman who inspired me to think about the way I react and respond to others, and continued with the loving lessons this homeless man gave to me, which also compliments what I learned in how I will react and respond to others. Furthermore, he taught me the TRUE meaning of gratitude.

How often do we lash out at others for our own feelings of anger and resentment?

How often do we send blessings and well wishes to others without asking for anything else in return?

How often are we truly thankful for what we are given and provided and for what we already have?

These are some interesting questions to consider…

I shall continue to think on them…

With Love, Hugs and Inspiration,

Lisa Mae Brunson"

Yes, you can fly, but first you have to break out of that cocoon. You are capable of self rescue at all times. "Every blade of grass has its own special angel watching over it and whispering, 'grow...grow'." -The Talmud "I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be, for I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our disposition, and not upon our circumstances." -Martha Washington

4. Thanks Gadfly says "thank you" for this post

Let's all dance!

6. Thanks Coyote13 says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Coyote13 liked this post

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer."

~Calvin Coolidge

8. Thanks I told you I was trouble says "thank you" for this post
    Likes I told you I was trouble liked this post

10. Thanks Coyote13 says "thank you" for this post

12. Likes Coyote13 liked this post

14. Likes Coyote13 liked this post

"Compassion automatically invites you to relate with people because you no longer regard people as a drain on your energy." ~ Chogyam Trungpa

16. Thanks Coyote13 says "thank you" for this post

"Aren't two sparrows sold for a small coin? But not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father knowing about it already....
    ..... So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

Matthew 10:29, 10:31

18. Thanks Coyote13 says "thank you" for this post

Thumbs up Re: Gratitude ~ The Thread

20. Thanks Coyote13, Gadfly says "thank you" for this post
Page 25 of 79 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast