Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: YOU NOW TALKING TO YOU THEN

Default YOU NOW TALKING TO YOU THEN

If it were possible to travel back in time, and you, circa 2012, could have talked with you [insert date when you were first becoming involved with Scientology] what would you have said?

Would the you - then - have listened to the you now?

There are problems inherent with this question. Much is known now that was not known then. For example, I, circa 2012, could not have cited information revealed in the late 1970s (as a result of the 1977 FBI raids), or information from interviews of the the early 1980s (from books, such as 'Madman or Madman?' or 'Barefaced Messiah'), or information from 1984 (from Armstrong vs CofS), if I, circa 2012, had been talking to me of, let's say, 1970, as I was about to begin the Communications Course as a novice Scientologist.

So, my 2012 message to my 1970 self would have been limited, if I had wished to be taken seriously, since I couldn't expect to have been taken seriously if I had said, "Oh hi! I'm a time traveler from 2012."

Could I have done any good? Could I have successfully warned myself?

Could you, now, talking to you - back then (and for some of you, the "then," may be a more recent time, making the question much simpler) - have done any good?

Or would you - back then - have rejected the message from you, circa 2012, and you - back then - have proceeded with your intended course of action despite a visit and intervention from the time-traveling you of 2012?

Just curious.
    Visit the Ex Scientologist Message Board web site for selected content from ESMB and more: http://exscn.net/

Shiny Free Crusader Free to shine's Avatar

Default Re: YOU NOW TALKING TO YOU THEN

What an excellent concept.

As I was a youngster then, the only thing i can think of is something like "don't limit yourself to your parent's beliefs". Sadly I also think that would not have mattered, as I was offered an exciting world with apparently huge humanitarian goals, and inclusion in a group... something a shy teen responds to.
    QUOTE OF THE YEAR: "I wasn't aware that a documentary (on scientology) was coming out but I'll be sure to not watch it." A Scientologist

3. Thanks Ogsonofgroo, SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Arthur Dent, SweetnessandLight liked this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron LongTimeGone's Avatar

I believe I could easily persuade myself that I should avoid the cult.

The simplest way would be to go over everything I understood about the teachings.

Then take away the mystery of the OT levels and especially remove any ideas that the cult offers eternal life and power.

Finally explain how much it will cost in terms of money, emotional trauma, physical harm and the devastating effects of relationship breakdowns.

In other words get me to open my eyes before I ventured into the spider's web.

LTG
    Carter's law of Productivity. "The amount of work a person does is inversely proportional to the number of suggestions they offer."

My Essay from 1995: http://www.xenu.net/archive/disk/NOTs/djcarter.htm

Hubbard even fooled himself: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthrea...691#post618691

5. Thanks Bluebell, SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes SweetnessandLight liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron WildKat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veda View Post
    If it were possible to travel back in time, and you, circa 2012, could have talked with you [insert date when you were first becoming involved with Scientology] what would you have said?

There are problems inherent with this question. Much is known now that was not known then. For example, I, circa 2012, could not have cited information revealed in the late 1970s (as a result of the 1977 FBI raids), or information from interviews of the the early 1980s (from books, such as 'Madman or Madman?' or 'Barefaced Messiah'), or information from 1984 (from Armstrong vs CofS), if I, circa 2012, had been talking to me of, let's say, 1970, as I was about to begin the Communications Course as a novice Scientologist.

So, my 2012 message to my 1970 self would have been limited, if I had wished to be taken seriously, since I couldn't expect to have been taken seriously if I had said, "Oh hi! I'm a time traveler from 2012."

Could you, now, talking to you - back then (and for some of you, the "then," may be a more recent time, making the question much simpler) - have done any good?

Or would you - back then - have rejected the message from you, circa 2012, and you - back then - have proceeded with your intended course of action despite a visit and intervention from the time-traveling you of 2012?

Just curious.
    Excellent subject!!

I don't know the answer to this one. I like to think that I (now) could talk me (then) out of it, but I am not sure. I was pretty stubborn 30+ years ago!

I think the most effective thing might have been to say something like: "If you continue with Scientology, you will likely spend the next 30-50 years and probably $300,000. That is a huge investment. Why don't you talk to some people who have done exactly that and see what they are like? Talk to both sides, pro and con. Don't just listen to the hype."

But would that have worked???

The thing is, when you're young and idealistic, you pretty much WANT to believe the hype and WANT to be positive and hopeful. You're full of hopes and dreams and fears, and church staff are programmed to take full advantage.

7. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post

I honestly don't think I could have talked me out of it. My parents seemed okay with it and I'm just me. Back then I wouldn't have trusted myself. I needed something to believe in and a purpose that I could believe was my own.

I guess I really sort of feel that Scientology was part of my destiny or part of my evolution depending on which side of the fence I decide to sit on. But I feel it would have happened no matter what, because it did. I'm who I was before the cult and I'm still who I was while I was in.

Wow. Tricky OP. Verrry interesting, Veda.
    VEDA IS GOD

Sometimes I'm the Evil Twin.

http://itwastruelove.blogspot.com

9. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post

This is actually a question I've asked myself on several occasions over the past few years and I'm not confident that I could have prevented the 1979 version of myself from getting involved in the cult.

Given the opportunity to time travel back I would first schedule a consultation with Steven Hassan and get his help in the matter, as well as read any available books such as this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Releasing-Bond...9622927&sr=8-2

With the stakes so high I'd definitely get professional help with this issue.

11. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Arthur Dent, SweetnessandLight liked this post

I would have told myself and convinced myself to not give them my college tuition money and not sell my car to pay for services. I would have also convinced myself not to quit my job or college to go sit in the HGC waiting for an auditor. I would have talked myself into and convinced myself to be patient, finish college, get my degree, get a good job....and then do the auditor training (only when I could easily afford to pay for it) and insist on a co-audit rather than being shoved into paying for auditing in the HGC and I would tell myself to not allow anyone in Scientology to pressure me or bully me into doing anything I didn't want to do and never pay for any services that I couldn't afford and never go into debt to anyone in order to give money to the CoS. And.....to not swallow their friggin lies about their Bridge to Total Freedom and going Full OT. And....I would have counseled myself against their BS that Scientology is more important than anything else in life.....something which really f*cked up my life big time for a lot of years!

And I would have told myself.....don't ever turn against your friends and family in the name of Scientology.

And I would have advised myself.....don't ever give the CoS any of your inheritance!!!!!!

That's some of what I would have said to myself back then from what I know now.
    Last edited by FoTi; 19th February 2012 at 04:08 AM.
    MY STORY FROM INSIDE SCIENTOLOGY: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthrea...-Ups-and-Downs

"Scientology is essentially a spy and mind-control network set up to extract the most money it can from itís members as well as to enforce the maximum amount of production out of each individual, at minimal or no cost to the organization. Itís as simple as that." - John Peeler

13. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes SweetnessandLight, TG1 liked this post

just before I got in, Yes.

Two years after, maybe not.

Four years after, Yes

And yes from there on out.

Just curious.

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." (Nikola Tesla)

"In the twenty-first century, the robot will take the place which slave labor occupied in ancient civilization."(Nikola Tesla)

15. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Bluebell, Petey C liked this post

What has put this into perspective to me is looking at the fact that there have been cases in which people have come to believe that God is telling them to kill their children. And other people have killed their children because their minds can't come up with other solutions to their problems. And don't get me started on terrorists who blow people up! I know that each of us has to have confidence that we are making good decisions, but examples of people that make incredibly wrong decisions because they believe they are right keep me on guard. I think I would approach myself with these examples to at least plant the thought that I should be careful.

17. Thanks SweetnessandLight, Good twin says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Bluebell liked this post

My stay was short, damages were kept to a minimum for me. I do have advice for me then, "The only thing that works about you in scio is you, despite all their efforts to prove otherwise, must...keep...self...intact..." Who knows maybe I would have exited sooner.
    Oh freedom is mine and I know how I feel
    Nina Simone
    Feeling Good

19. Thanks SweetnessandLight, Good twin says "thank you" for this post
    Likes SweetnessandLight liked this post
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast