Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: YOU NOW TALKING TO YOU THEN

Silver Meritorious Patron BardoThodol's Avatar

Default Re: YOU NOW TALKING TO YOU THEN

Since I was never traumatized by the subject, and since I mostly had a good time, I would be hard pressed to want to change much. It was what it was and I learned a lot. Met a lot of cute girls--which has always been fun.

Lot of attractive and intelligent people who went through the Scientology mill. Glad I met some of them.

However, to answer the question, I'd lean over my younger self's shoulder and whisper, "You know those feelings you keep having about all of this? Those feelings that something isn't quite right? Trust them."

Which I did anyways, so maybe my future self came back to my past self and actually did whisper those things. Time being an illusion and all.

Now if I could just get that future self to whisper the numbers of the next huge Powerball payout, I'd take you all out to dinner.

2. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
    Veda,

Excellent question.

However, I don't know if my 23-year-old self would have been at all receptive to anything such an OLD person might have said to me back then.

At the time, Scientology seemed a way to explore the woo-woo side of life, which interested me a lot. I was entranced and overwhelmed by all the new cultural influences (drugs, Carlos Castaneda books, meditation, Eastern spiritualism, etc.) and rapidly changing Western culture (Vietnam War, continuing civil rights struggles, American cultural and generational clashes).

Looking back at my life since then, it’s obvious I needed to learn much I did learn while inside Scientology and since leaving it -- and most of that had to do with disagreeing. I don’t know how else I might have learned it -– there was so much to disagree with.

I was much luckier than many – was never on staff or went into deep debt. The biggest thing I lost while in Scientology was a first husband who was surely the worst person I might have married – so that was a good thing.

Perhaps I might simply suggest to my younger self: “Learn how to disagree!” because that’s what I needed to know.

But I acknowledge I have absolutely no idea what I needed to learn that I haven’t learned. I cannot see that.

TG1
    I disagree.

4. Thanks TG1 says "thank you" for this post
    LOL! SweetnessandLight laughed at this post

I would just kipnap myself and lock me away for a month or so, maybe get a deprogrammer.
    Would have saved a lot of time and effort wasted in the cult

6. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes SweetnessandLight liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron Helena Handbasket's Avatar

I (from today) would have told my 24-year-old self to go ahead and get involved, but not to be too trusting, and to back off if they get too bullshitty. That the world isn't going to come to an end if I don't get up the bridge FAST, and that walking away for a few month or years would make them more cooperative. To reserve a good portion of my income just for me, and not put every available penny toward "my next service".

I other words, I would have told myself to be a dilletante and not apologize for it. And to look for alternatives (squirrels!) and not be afraid to jump ship when the opportunity arises.

I think I would have taken my advice.

Helena

8. Thanks Ho Tai, FoTi, SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Ho Tai, FoTi, SweetnessandLight liked this post
    On a small mountain surrounded by many acres of forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Termint View Post
    It doesn't really answer the question asked as such but I have considered this concept before and the bottom line for me is this; if I hadn't done the things I did along the way, I wouldn't have the life I have today.

I've contemplated some of the possible/potential outcomes of having taken different turns or having trod an alternate path at the various watershed moments in my life and, all in all, I'll take the life I have today over any of the alternatives I can envision, thanks!
    That's my view too.

I was who I was back then. Scientology of that time fit the "me" of that time. It sort of couldn't have been any other way.

To me such "if" notions are like, "if a frog had wings he wouldn't have to bounce aorund on his butt". Except a frog doesn't.

I was young, idealistic and STUBBORN. I doubt I would have listened to ANYBODY, much less a future me coming back to adjust the past!

These hypothetical questions are just that - hypothetical.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"They must know how to kindle and fan an extravagant hope". - Eric Hoffer about the "true believer". "Total Freedom", "your eternity", and "OT" involve a few of the extravagant hopes in Scientology.

Go HERE to view and/or download the essay, "The Three Basic Scientology Beliefs".

10. Thanks Cat's Squirrel, SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post

The conversations I did have with myself at the time that were helpful went something like this; If they need to deliver a repair at $XXXX.XX to fix my ______, at what level of exchange is that exactly if it was not me delivering the ______? Why would I pay for that? And my favorite conversation with self; No title, status, or training level makes it okay to talk to me like THAT. Ever. That was the moment I extracted myself from the pressure and insanity. .
    Dil
    Oh freedom is mine and I know how I feel
    Nina Simone
    Feeling Good

12. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    That's my view too.

I was who I was back then. Scientology of that time fit the "me" of that time. It sort of couldn't have been any other way.

To me such "if" notions are like, "if a frog had wings he wouldn't have to bounce aorund on his butt". Except a frog doesn't.

I was young, idealistic and STUBBORN. I doubt I would have listened to ANYBODY, much less a future me coming back to adjust the past!

These hypothetical questions are just that - hypothetical.
    "young, idealistic and STUBBORN...?" You? I never would have guessed.

As for frog wings, I wonder IF they would be as tasty as frog legs. IF...

What the heck. Just for fun.

Patron with Honors

I wouldn't try to talk myself out of anything. I would keep my trap shut and let me have the experiences I did have. They were marvelous learning and growth experiences, which fact leaves me without regret. What I Learned about integrity and sovereignty is priceless. What I learned about the value of just being me without feeling in need of repair isn't too bad either.

15. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Dilettante, SweetnessandLight liked this post
    Patron with Honors

I think that Me now would have a hard time Convincing Me then.... (because it prommised soooooo much....)

& because it would be only one voice, & there were not many people speaking out about Scientology then.... (& Scientology was surrounded by a Silence Policy that worked better back then)

but when I was being treated badly by Scientology, some words of wisdom telling me that it is a scam (& could give details), & how to escape their routing you in techniques, & keeping you there techniques, & regging techniques etc... I would have got away from them sooner

Even better, would be if Me then could Visit Me now, & experience all the Television Stories of the Atrocities committed by Scientology, & read & hear all the stories of Peoples experiences in Scientology (on the Internet)....especially from the people who had been in for 30 odd years

If Me Then were being introduced to Scientology today in 2012 I would run as far & fast as I could to get away from them....

(probably (definitely) swearing as I ran )
    Life begins again, When You get out of Scientology

17. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes SweetnessandLight liked this post

Smile Re: YOU NOW TALKING TO YOU THEN

I, as a Non, would like to comment and answer the OP, 'cause I have a then and now story too!

But I'm going to wait to let others who were really "in" have their say first. I'm really interested in what people think about this exercise in imagination...
    Yes, you can fly, but first you have to break out of that cocoon. You are capable of self rescue at all times. "Every blade of grass has its own special angel watching over it and whispering, 'grow...grow'." -The Talmud "I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be, for I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our disposition, and not upon our circumstances." -Martha Washington

19. Thanks Osiris says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Osiris liked this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast