Thread: Anniversary date today ...

Gold Meritorious Patron

Default Anniversary date today ...

I noticed that the date on ESMB has already gone over to April 4th. April 4th is an anniversary date ... 44 years ago ... April 4th, 1968 was the date that Martin Luther King Jr. was shot by a sniper. Many, including Corretta Scot King, MLK's wife, believe that James Earl Ray was a patsy and not the actual shooter. I don't buy that Ray was the shooter either, but ... if you aren't on the inside you are on the outside.

I was in the 9th grade at the time. In the wake of the shooting, there were riots in Newark, NJ and surrounding towns. I was in Linden, NJ, not too far from Newark, and we had some rioting in our town, but not anywhere near as bad as Newark.

1968 was an epic year ... the MLK shooting, the RFK shooting, the Tet Offensive in Vietnam ... where we kicked the shit out of both the VC and NVA, but nevertheless the hawks lost the battle of public perception. LBJ declined to run for another term as president. There was the democratic convention in Chicago that was a total debacle. It was a long hot summer of riots in major cities, although not as bad as summer of 1967
    There was simply a shitload of stuff going on that year. I don't recall a time since in the USA where things were so polarized politically. Nothing has come close since, as far as I can tell.

Anyways, I am rambling and reminiscing. I am hoping that I started something here ... that others who were around back then will share their experiences and perceptions of that time.

Pete

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anniversary date today ...

"A person will never be free from Scientology if they use Scientology to explain Scientology - they will always be left with huge unexplained gaps that can never be answered because the answers Scientology gives are inadequate and false." - Alanzo