Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Scientology & Imagination

Silver Meritorious Sponsor HelluvaHoax!'s Avatar

There is another interesting way to look at Scientology & Imagination.

Most of Hubbard's adult life was spend imagining and writing fiction. Of course he made a living writing pulp fiction.

Then he imagined a "Science of the Mental Health" called Dianetics. He made it up. There was no science. There was no mental health, especially considering that the book was a pastiche of wild pseudoscientific lies without any clinical trials, peer reviews or even transparent case studies that were offered in proof or support. Nothing but imagination.

There are actually consumer protection laws that prevent people with "lively imaginations" to defraud the public. Hubbard used his imagination to worm out of the obvious fact that the imaginary state of Clear was not attainable, imagining a newer, better more powerful state called Operating Thetan.

And he imagined that rather than call it a "Modern Science" he would call it a religion, Scientology.

The bottom line is that Hubbard imagined things and sold them to the bamboozled, the gullible and the trusting for hundreds of millions of dollars.

Empowered with a small army of dedicated zombies that would do whatever he wanted (and a vast cash fortune being hidden away in foreign bank accounts) Hubbard then revealed his true madness but writing tens of thousands of pages of "Policy" and "Directives" and "Orders", most of which consisted of two things:

1) GO GET HIM MORE MONEY NOW!

2) STOP PEOPLE FROM USING THEIR IMAGINATIONS UNLESS IT IS TO DO NUMBER 1 ABOVE.

In case anyone is actually wondering about that second point (stopping people from using their imagination) simply re-read HCOPL Keeping Scientology Working and see who on this planet, alone, is entitled to research, discover and write "scripture". It is only Ron.

And what is the penalty for anyone else "researching" the whole track and coming up with another imaginative scenario that doesn't agree with Ron's imaginary scenarios? To get the answer to this, simply re-read the policies on High Crimes, Suppressive Acts, Squirreling and the treatment of SPs.

In short, Hubbard gave himself carte blanche to imagine anything he felt like, no matter how outlandish or ridiculous. And he empowered himself to crush anyone who dared to use their own imagination.

And the cosmic joke of Scientology is that while they are systematically destroying people's creative facility, they are using creative artists (TC, JT, KA...) as stage props and testimonial to the wonders that Scientology can do for your imagination.

If anyone still has any questions about what Scientology does to the Imagination of artists, re-watch the video of Tom Cruise.

Scientology literally saved my life! Without Ron's books I would have frozen to death!!! (see avatar)

Scientology in one word? HelluvaHoax!

I never felt as free as when I freed myself from "Total Freedom".

For offended Scientologists reading this blasphemy about L. Ron Hubbard---my apologies for talking about real life without lying to you, like Scientology, with goo-goo theta-talk. I know you don't have a floating needle right now. You're not supposed to.

2. Thanks Lamb, Stat says "thank you" for this post

Default Re: Scientology & Imagination

Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaHoax! View Post

Then he imagined a "Science of the Mental Health" called Dianetics. He made it up. There was no science.
    I'm afraid you'll have to do whatever critics do in place of ethics/O/Ws .

Its well known he stole this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Terril park View Post
    I'm afraid you'll have to do whatever critics do in place of ethics/O/Ws .

Its well known he stole this stuff!
    Of course Hubbard stole some of his tech. So what? He also stole hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars of people's hard-earned money. He stole their dreams and stole their family and children.

And, Hubbard was not only great at stealing, he was extremely good at double-tasking, so he was able to steal and lie at the same time.

Scientology literally saved my life! Without Ron's books I would have frozen to death!!! (see avatar)

For offended Scientologists reading this blasphemy about L. Ron Hubbard---my apologies for talking about real life without lying to you, like Scientology, with goo-goo theta-talk. I know you don't have a floating needle right now. You're not supposed to.

5. Thanks Lamb, Stat says "thank you" for this post
    Patron with Honors

Having read REVOLT IN THE STARS and going by Harlan Ellison's comments, LRH had some talent but was also a supremely lazy writer. He had theatrical instincts but couldn't be bothered to really invest himself in his fiction.

I'll have to read more of his sci-fi, etc., but I'll go with James Randi's take on him for now.

But as far as Scientology, any program that decrees you think in a certain way is robbing you of your imagination!

Blog Entries

Dear HH, thank you for this thread again!

I think we all have potentially unlimited imagination.

I also think that Hubbard recognized that and simply exploited it.

Exploit as - to make use of selfishly or unethically, manipulate.

Hubbard also exploited the dreams/hopes and the whole subject of help.

I suppose, it's like a spiritual date rape, where the sex was "volunteered".
    "If you have an innocence of being, curiosity about life, a liking of people, and a feeling of sweetness inside, you have everything." ~ Smilla's Mom.

Blog Entries

Except spiritual rape hurts a lot more.
    "If you have an innocence of being, curiosity about life, a liking of people, and a feeling of sweetness inside, you have everything." ~ Smilla's Mom.

On a small mountain surrounded by many acres of forest.

The key basic fact is the Hubbard was and ALWAYS REMAINED first, and foremost, a FICTION WRITER. He was a creator of the make-believe. He made money from the products of his imagination.

He started out writing fiction, whether western stories or science fiction. And, he simply continued making stuff up, to make money, with Scientology.

Of course, ANY good writer mixes various existing realities with the make-believe, so as to make the "story" more convincing. Looking at Scientology from this perspective helps explain a great deal. That is why one can find various random useful ideas, and even decent ideas strewn about here and there within the larger nutty overall subject of Scientology. He is just being a good fiction writer, and being sure to include just enough "true & real stuff" to string the readers along.

Scientology is largely a product of an over-active imagination, and just as Hoaxter correctly pointed out, the ONLY imagination allowed in Scientology was/is Hubbard's. Said another way, ONLY Hubbard's "postulates" and "mock-ups" are allowed in Scientology. Anyone else's postulates or mock-ups are viewed as "other practices", "strange ideas that pull one off the proven path", "other-intention" or "counter-intention".

In true magical manner, Hubbard's game was designed to incubate HIS astral creations (which occur naturally as the result of focused active imagining). Any magician "works in the astral", with "thought forms", USING THE IMAGINATION. Hubbard set up a grand system where he managed to get hundreds and thousands of people IMAGINING his, and ONLY HIS, various scenarios, assertions, postulates and mock-ups. It would be interesting to consider just WHAT that creates in the "astral plane". What effect on the astral plane is caused by MANY MANY people simultaneously imagining along a very exact set of patterns and models?

From http://www.learn-psychic-powers.com/thought-forms.html:

"Thought forms are the result of the manifestation of energy gathered by conscious thought and sometimes even subconscious thought. Whenever we think about something we give off energy and this energy feeds the creations of our minds which are then projected onto the astral plane. Most thoughts are random and unfocused so our creative energies are weak and never really have a chance to take form; however, the more intentional and focused the thought coupled with visualization the more powerful the thought form will be and the longer it will last."

For example, in ritual magic involving groups of practioners, each member plays his or her part by "playing out the physical ritual IN GREAT DETAIL SIMULTANEOUSLY IN THE IMAGINATION". The REAL "ritual act" is a shared act in the imagination of the members. Of coruse, they KNOW that they are doing so. In Scientology, Hubbard managed to get all of these people imagining various constructs together, in a sort of "mass ritual". Look at any Scientology event, where members react and mutually agree with and IMAGINE along with the many various lies of the speakers (we are expanding, Scn is taking the planet, many achieve OT every day, the states of OT are grand and glorious, and on and on).

See, that is sort of how any form of magic works. One "lies about" the not yet real, as a "postulate", as a mock-up, as an assertion of what is, with "more intentional and focused thought coupled with visualization", so as to create thoughtforms, which then automatically attract substance and eventually appear in the world of form.

Now, in eastern theories, THAT is exactly why the world and Universe exist as they do even now. This theory explains HOW the world of illusion and form relates to, and directly derive from the mental creations of the participating spirits. Spirit/spirits have "thought it all into existance", and the details of their habitual thought patterns have created "thought forms", which have then attracted the stuff of the ethers to appear as what we experience as the world of form.

Interestingly, thoughtforms also have much t do with the creation of Tulpas!

Magic involves substituting intentional imaginings of "not yet real events and situations", so as to "nudge them into appearing and manifesting". A good magician learns to be able to trick oneself into reshaping ones own belief at will (so as to effect changes in the world of form). Again, a major problem with Scientology is that Hubbard TRICKS his followers into changing and accepting belief according to HIS PATTERN and MOLD. Hubbard provides the exact approved content of WHAT is to be imagined, and WHAT is to be accepted with firm belief on what comes to be a very deep subconscious level. The "gradient" process of accepting Hubbard's model, of all-that-is, with deep belief and firm conviction (i.e. "certainty"), is not unlike the gradual practice and drilling that members of a magical ritual go through.

I still sometimes get the idea that at least part of Hubbard's plan was to bring about a massive "magical ritual" involving many thousands of people. The problem is that these people don't know that they are part of the ritual!

The Scientology participants are PAWNS in Hubbard's crazy GAME (refer to Hubbard's "data" on game-makers, players, pieces, broken pieces, etc.). Hubbard DID ceate the "game" according to his notions of these things, but believe me when I say, in Hubbard's weird self-obsessed universe, there are NO OTHER game-makers allowed.

In 1952 on a lecture series in Philadelphia, Hubbard said that (taken from http://www.freezone.org/e_philo.htm):

"there is a caste-system of games":
    There is the "Maker of Games": He has no rules and he runs by no rules.
    Then there are "Players of Games": Rules are known and obeyed.
    There are "Assistant Players" who merely obey the players.
    Then there are "Pieces": They obey the rules dictated by the players. However, they don't know the rules.
    And then there are "Broken Pieces": They don't even know they are in a game and that there is a game at all.
    Hubbard continues (quote):

"How to make a piece...
    First, deny there is a game.
    Second, hide the rules from them.
    Third, give them all penalties and no wins.
    Fourth, remove all goals.
    Enforce their playing.
    Inhibit their enjoying.
    Make them look like but forbid their being players - look like God but can't be God."

This is a perfect example of AGAIN where the reader accutally belives that Hubbard is sharing valuable data with you to HELP you (cough). He only PRETENDS to be doing that. And the suckers believe it. But, what he really is doing in Scientology is outlined in the SECOND half of the above quote. He is MAKING PIECES. Every Scientologist is a "piece" in Hubbard's nutty self-absorded ego-driven "game". Just as Hubbard says, he TRULY "has no rules and he runs by no rules". Also, while Hubbard is actually practicing magic the WHOLE TIME, he HIDES the actual REAL RULES that he is playing by from the Scientologists. Instead he gives the suckers his "Scientology Tech".

Interestingly, the above quote is taken from a Free Zone site. These dummies actually still believe that Hubbard was here sharing all this data with them to "help them". Hubbard viewed HIMSELF and ONLY HIMSELF as the "game maker". ALL OTHERS are and always were viewed by him as pieces. That is why people are WASTED over and over and over within Scientology, because when their usefulness as a "piece" has run its course, he or she no longer serves any purpose. THAT is why there is such a long history of people having been "thrown under the bus". That is why there are so very many "declared SPs". When Mary Sue no longer served her purpose as the director of Hubbard's black ops, he threw her under the bus to protect Hubbard from the law. Scientology members are ALWAY and ONLY "pieces". And members will be "used" in whatever way HELPS HUBBARD & SCIENTOLOGY. The concern is NEVER what "helps the followers" (though that lie is planted all throughout the subject of Scientology). Hubbard took his game VERY seriously! But each of you were, or still are, ONLY a "piece" in Hubbard's insane game.

To truly understand what Hubbard was doing with Scientology one MUST grasp the history, theories and practices of "magic". But, this is not found within the subject of Scientology. Hubbard NEVER gave to you what HE was using himself. He was black magician of the worse kind, and he made you all believe that you were the "white hats"
    Last edited by Gadfly; 12th April 2012 at 01:01 PM.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"They must know how to kindle and fan an extravagant hope". - Eric Hoffer about the "true believer". "Total Freedom", "your eternity", and "OT" involve a few of the extravagant hopes in Scientology.

Go HERE to view and/or download the essay, "The Three Basic Scientology Beliefs".

10. Thanks Freeminds says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Freeminds liked this post
    On a small mountain surrounded by many acres of forest.

Adding to the above.

A key notion of magic (and Tibetan Buddhism) is that if a group of people actively and intentionally create specific images and scenarios in their minds, with disciplined focus, concentration and attention, that the content of the imagination will eventually take form in the shared world and universe. The techniques themselves are "neutral", but can be used for "good" or "bad", to control people or to free them. Thus evolved the many various forms of white magic and black magic (and many things that while not called by these names ARE these). Now, for this discussion it doesn't really matter whether this is all true or not, but only that Hubbard probably believed this. As I see it there is at least SOME truth to these ideas.

Hubbard is the guy who stated that "all mechanics are preceded by thought". His statements that "postulates and considerations bring about the details of the form in the world" contain the SAME ideas as contained in eastern philosophical views (which later appeared in western magic).

A bit of background data. "Affirmations" are a common idea and tool of modern New Age psychology. An affirmation is a statement of what is, in direct contradiction to what is actually there. Let's say one is "poor". The idea is that by affirming "I am rich", the "postulate", "mock-up", assertion or "lie", will eventually take form. Of course, there are right ways and MANY wrong ways to go about doing this. The goofy gal who spends 5 minutes every morning saying out loud, "I am in love with a very handsome man", may or may not find such a fellow. There is a great deal to this, part of which involves "spiritual growith", and "losing the ego". As one practices such things, ones desires tend to change (hopefully towards the lighter and NOT to the darker ego-obsessed desires). In other words, what one affirms and visualizes CHANGES TOO, hopefully, as one "grows", matures and evolves. Hubbard NEVER did change - he always wanted power, wealth, admiration and other sordid desires.

To do it correctly means that one must be able to affirm a reality to such a degree that you TRULY FEEL that it is actual and real - despite what the signals from the current world might be telling you. When one truly "gets" that "it is all an illusion", and is a "product of the mind of some conscious being", then disagreeing with the "current events and situations" becomes much easier. In a sense, the current world of form IS "condensed thought", that is 'dead", and simply a remnant of past thoughts. That is the theory anyway. Change your thoughts, and in time, and not too long, the world will manage to arrange itself to your imagined pattern (there are limits to all of this obviously and it "works best" on personal scenarios).

There is much to this, but I don't have the space here to explain it all. But simply, the basic idea, which is EVERYWHERE today in modern pop psychology, drawn from older ideas of magick and eastern philosophy, is that "the world exists for you and your experiences occur in DIRECT relation to EARLIER thoughts about such things".

As an example, take one of Hubbard's affirmations, "I will smash my name into history". When he used this affirmation, he did so to "make it come true". His intention was to have this statement become visible, to manifest, in the world of form, in time and space. Now, there is also the idea that if MANY people visualize the SAME idea, that it adds more POWER to the realization of the desired outcome.

Look at how Hubbard wrote policies to have an office in each org. How he has pictures of himself hung everywhere. How he made it firm policy to "do as Ron would do", and to create the image of him as the true and ONLY "savior of all Mankind". Look at how he establish the MODEL, in policy, for himself to be admired at EVERY event. Look at the endless displays of admiration that are encouraged every day by staff. Hubbard created the LRH PRO N/W and LRH Comm N/W to constantly feed the idea that he was this great, imaginative and creative fellow.

See, Hubbard set it all up so that MANY MANY people were EVERY DAY putting out the idea that he IS this great man. Look at all the endless PR about him. Look at the contrived history. The key here is that he managed to get MANY people focusing on the thought that HE IS THIS GREAT MAN. Within the theories of eastern philosophy and magic, large numbers of people all agreeing with and visualizing the SAME pattern acts to bring it about.

Now, Hubbard probably imagined that he would get millions of people adding to the mock ups about him. THAT is why he pushed so hard to "expand Scientology". He wanted MILLIONS of people agreeing and contributing to the "postulates", thus allowing THOUGHT to bring about "mechanics". Heck, the whole thing might have been a "test" in applied magical ritual, to see just what an effect such mutual visualization and agreement might have on "reality". It might even have been run by an alphabet organization (CIA, NSA, etc.) of the US government as a large scale test in "the power of belief to change reality".

The notion of "Visualize World Peace" where large numbers of people focus on the same image simultaneously involves a similar idea of a concerted effort or act of the magical imagination to effect changes "out there". But, then there ARE "decent versions of this like the above about visualizing world peace, and darker versions, like what Hubbard was doing with Scientology.

So, one way to better understand what Hubbard may have been up to here is to grasp the theories and practices of modern New Age affirmations and visualizations, along with the theories and practices of the magic - where all of that came from in the first place.

See, one single person visualizing and affirming "I am a great and powerful man, respected by all" may have some effect. But, thousands or millions affirming the SAME THING in concent, well THAT is something else entirely. Realize that "affirmation" simply means to "affirm". That is the same as Hubbard's "postulate". It means to "assert as true or real or as existing". It means to "put it there", whether it is now there or not. And that the act of doing so in some strange and interesting way actually brings about that which one imagines, assert or affirms.

This idea, again, is common today. One can walk into ANY bookstore and find hundreds and even thousands of titles, spanning the past 150 years, that involve "positive thinking", "power of mind", affirmations and visualization. Modern psychology has accepted and adopted many of these ideas into their therapies and counseling.

This is a short list of authors who deal with such ideas:

Catherine Ponder
    Napoleon Hill
    Deepak Chopra
    Mary Baker Eddy (Christian Science)
    Charles Fillmore (Unity)
    Malinda Cramer and Nona Brooks (Divine Science)
    Ernest Holmes (Science of Mind)
    US Anderson
    Florence Scovel Shinn
    Joseph Murphy
    Joel Goldsmith
    Neville Goddard
    Jack Addington
    Shakti Gawain
    William Atkinson
    H. Emilie Cady
    Emma Curtis Hopkins
    Norman Vincent Peale

and MANY more. They each add a different "twist" to the ideas. For example, there are currently many Christian versions of this stuff that mix the ideas of magic and mental creation with the Bible (i.e. Unity, Catherine Ponder and Neville Goddard). And, there are some that keep out most religion entirely (Anderson, Gawain).

I actually have read many of these authors. I read 12 of Ponder's books alone! I read all of this stuff while also studying about eastern philosophy, magic, various religions, the history of the occult in the west, meditation, Tibetan Buddhism, Theosophy, Rosicrucianism, Masonry, Alchemy, and much more. I wanted to get a large enough and wide enough grasp of all of this to get a handle on it. So, in a certain sense I am qualified to notice aspects of Hubbard and Scientology that others might fail to see.

But, I encourage any person to study some of this stuff on magic, affirmations and visualization to understand the connection to WHAT Hubbard was doing, but also, because it is (when applied with decency and along the WHITE PATH) interesting and useful information for ANY person. Last, Hubbard NEVER taught his followers the information on visualization & affirmations, even though he himself used it. THAT was one of the largest outpoints to me about Scientology, that it did not EVER provide a practical way to "postulate". And that such techniques DID exist within these other subjects - and worse, that Hubbard surely KNEW that such information existed. He purposely kept it from his followers, while he himself USED IT.

Hubbard was such an asshole!
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"They must know how to kindle and fan an extravagant hope". - Eric Hoffer about the "true believer". "Total Freedom", "your eternity", and "OT" involve a few of the extravagant hopes in Scientology.

Go HERE to view and/or download the essay, "The Three Basic Scientology Beliefs".

12. Likes IMMORTAL liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    ---snipped---

The Scientology participants are PAWNS in Hubbard's crazy GAME (refer to Hubbard's "data" on game-makers, players, pieces, broken pieces, etc.). Hubbard DID ceate the "game" according to his notions of these things, but believe me when I say, in Hubbard's weird self-obsessed universe, there are NO OTHER game-makers allowed.

In 1952 on a lecture series in Philadelphia, Hubbard said that (taken from http://www.freezone.org/e_philo.htm):

"there is a caste-system of games":
    There is the "Maker of Games": He has no rules and he runs by no rules.
    Then there are "Players of Games": Rules are known and obeyed.
    There are "Assistant Players" who merely obey the players.
    Then there are "Pieces": They obey the rules dictated by the players. However, they don't know the rules.
    And then there are "Broken Pieces": They don't even know they are in a game and that there is a game at all.
    Hubbard continues (quote):

"How to make a piece...
    First, deny there is a game.
    Second, hide the rules from them.
    Third, give them all penalties and no wins.
    Fourth, remove all goals.
    Enforce their playing.
    Inhibit their enjoying.
    Make them look like but forbid their being players - look like God but can't be God."

THAT is why there is such a long history of people having been "thrown under the bus". That is why there are so very many "declared SPs".

When Mary Sue no longer served her purpose as the director of Hubbard's black ops, he threw her under the bus to protect Hubbard from the law. Scientology members are ALWAY and ONLY "pieces". And members will be "used" in whatever way HELPS HUBBARD & SCIENTOLOGY. The concern is NEVER what "helps the followers" (though that lie is planted all throughout the subject of Scientology). Hubbard took his game VERY seriously! But each of you were, or still are, ONLY a "piece" in Hubbard's insane game.

Now I understand why Hubbard and Miscavich declare so many Scientologists to be an SP.

Suppressive Piece.

Patron with Honors

Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaHoax! View Post
    Terril, should I have applied Power Change before blowing Scientology? Here is my graph.

you're in screaming affluence, so keep on your usual path of behavior!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast