Thread: NAKED SCIENTOLOGY - THE 1960s

Default NAKED SCIENTOLOGY - THE 1960s

An excerpt from Naked Scientology by William Burroughs, re. his experiences at St. Hill in the late 1960s:

...I remember one weekend after a few drinks confiding certain doubts about Scientology to a supposed friend.

"They'll wring it out of me at the next Sec Check," he sobbed. "Why don't you go straight to Ethics and make a clean breast of it?"

I remember some old biddy dragging me into a broom closet... and asking me on the e-meter, "Do you have any unkind thoughts about L. Ron Hubbard? ... That reads. What do you consider that means?"

"He's so beautiful he dazzles me. I can't help resenting it sometimes."

In the words of Celine - "All this time I felt my self respect slipping away and finally completely gone. As it were, officially removed..."

Like an anthropologist who has, after unspeakable indignities, penetrated a savage tribe, I was determined to hang on and get the big medicine...

...I was ordered for a Joberg [Security Check] because I rockslammed [a type of 'read' on the e-meter] on a question, "What would have to happen before Scientology worked on everybody?" (I couldn't confront it.) The [1961] Joberg http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/isd/isd-5i.htm ...is published for the first time in Inside Scientology http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/isd/isd.htm [1972]...

..."That's it!" barks a sulky Sea Org lieutenant in the doorway of the Public Ethics Officer.

"Everybody line up for a Sec Check."

When my turn comes I pick up the cans.

"Do you consider St. Hill a safe environment?"

"Yes, of course I do."

"There's a read there. What do you consider that could mean?"

"Well, we're surrounded by suppressives. It frightens me to think of these devils all around us."

I was learning...

Naked Scientology: http://www.apologeticsindex.org/Naked%20Scientology.pdf
    Visit the Ex Scientologist Message Board web site for selected content from ESMB and more: http://exscn.net/

Default Re: NAKED SCIENTOLOGY - THE 1960s

Ah, the Good Old Days, when LRH was only mildy psychotic.We used to enjoy Sec Checks back then. Remembering those times has caused my visual organs to secrete a strange salty fluid that I have not as yet identified.
    "Your Freezone stinks."

-
    Steve Hall

"It is true that the term FZ includes many varients of Scn, and some may be inadequate. Or even wrong headed."

- Terril Park

3. Thanks Sharone Stainforth says "thank you" for this post

George Orwell should have written 1964

5. Thanks Smilla says "thank you" for this post

A little more from Burroughs' Naked Scientology:

Scientology is the model control system... How did Hubbard do it? With the e-meter of course. The e-meter is, amongst other things, a reliable lie detector in expert hands. The CIA also uses lie detectors and runs security checks on all personnel.

Keeping in mind that an Independent Scientologist might wander by and read this thread, with the idea that it all started with Miscavige, and that Security Checking, Disconnection, and Fair Game were discontinued in 1968 in accordance with L. Ron Hubbard's much publicized "Reform Code," some background information is provided.

"I can make Napoleon look like a punk." L. Ron Hubbard, from his "real goal" 'Excalibur' letter, 1938

"Men are my slaves..." "You can be merciless when your will is crossed and have a right to be merciless." 'The Affirmations', 1946

"No rights of any kind... Dispose of quietly and without sorrow." L. Ron Hubbard, 'Science of Survival', 1951

"Ruin utterly." "Always attack." Deviousness as official doctrine. L. Ron Hubbard, 'Manual on Dissemination of Material', 1955

"Dianetics and Scientology are self-protecting sciences. If one attacks them one attacks all the know-how of the mind. It caves in the bank. It's gruesome sometimes.

"At this instance there are men hiding in terror on Earth because they found out what they were attacking. There are men dead because they attacked us - for instance Dr. Joe Winter [wrote Introduction to 'DMSMH', and the book, 'A Doctor's Report on Dianetics' with an Introduction by Fritz Perls]. He simply realized what he did and died. There are men bankrupt because they attacked us - [Don] Purcell, Ridgeway, [publisher of 'DMSMH'] Ceppos." L. Ron Hubbard, 'HCO Manual of Justice', 1959

"Find or Manufacture enough threat." L. Ron Hubbard, 'Department of Government Affairs', 1960

"Have you ever had unkind thoughts about L. Ron Hubbard?" L. Ron Hubbard, Security Check, 1961

"I am not interested in wog morality... I can make Captain Bligh look like a Sunday School teacher," L. Ron Hubbard, 'Discipline, SPs and Admin', 1969

From 'Keeping Scientology Working', 7 February, 1965:

"We're not playing some minor game in Scientology. It isn't something cute to do for lack of something better.

"The whole agonized future of this planet, every Man, Woman, and Child on it, and your own destiny for the next endless trillions of years depend on what you do here and now with and in Scientology

"This is a deadly serious activity. And if we miss getting out of the trap now, we may never again have another chance . [See 'Implantology'] Remember, this is our first chance in all the endless trillions of years of the past . Don't muff it now because it seems unpleasant or unsocial to do Seven [Hammering out of existence incorrect technology]..."

Just prior to the appearance of 'KSW', was published the piece 'My Philosophy', in which L. Ron Hubbard told Scientologists:

"Blinded with injured optic nerves, and lame with physical injuries to the hip and back, at the end of World War II, I faced an almost nonexistent future. My service record stated: 'This officer has no neurotic or psychotic tendencies whatsoever', but also stated, 'permanently disabled physically'.

"And so there came a further blow. I was abandoned by family and friends as a supposedly hopeless cripple and probable burden on them for the rest of my days."

And, on 7 March 1965, one month after the appearance of 'KSW' was published 'Suppressive Acts, Suppression of Scientology and Scientologists, the Fair Game Law':

"A Suppressive person or group becomes 'fair game'.

"By Fair Game is meant, without rights for self, possessions or position, and no Scientologist may be brought before a Committee of Evidence or punished for any action taken against a Suppressive Person or group...

"Suppressive acts are defined as actions or omissions undertaken to knowingly suppress, reduce, or impede Scientology or Scientologists.

"Such suppressive acts include public disavowal of Scientology... public statements against Scientology.

"[Suppressive acts also include] continued membership in a divergent group; continued adherence to a suppressive person or group pronounced a suppressive person or group by HCO; failure to handle, or disavow, or disconnect from a person demonstrably guilty of suppressive acts; being at the hire of anti-Scientology groups or persons.

"[Suppressive acts also include] 1st degree murder, arson, disintegration of persons or belongings not [underlining added] guilty of suppressive acts.

"[Suppressive Persons] place themselves beyond any consideration for their feelings or well being...

"The homes, property, places, and abodes of persons who have been active in attempting to suppress Scientology... are all beyond any protection."

In 1968, the public use of the name "Fair Game" was prohibited, as it caused "bad public relations." However, all Fair Game practices, and the Fair Game philosophy, continued. Hubbard also developed an extensive Fair Game (attack and covert attack) Tech for use against Scientology's "enemies."

A few years later, Hubbard developed PR Tech, with which to shroud applications of Scientology's Fair Game philosophy and Tech, and with which to better handle any "PR flaps" resulting from occasional exposures of the use of Fair Game.

Yes, Hubbard says "Always attack!" but also says "handle with PR."

It's not accurate to say that Scientology doctrine says to, in all instances, "Never defend, always attack!"

Scientology PR tech is defensive in nature. It distracts, it misleads, it looks the person in the eye and smiles warmly, while privately intending to make a fool out of the person.

PR is sneaky; it's clever (or supposed to be). It gently distracts the person and then leads him into agreeing with something that - ultimately - undermines his position.

It only gets nasty when the person doesn't respond to being handled with PR.

Scientology, being a secretive and sneaky subject (doctrine, teaching), inevitably produces people who don't know what Scientology actually is - they're not supposed to know.

Thus, there is the well-intentioned novice.

And then there's the aggressive "Always attack!" type of Scientologist (who doesn't understand PR tech.)

Then there are clumsy and inept PR people.

Then there are slick PR people.

Often a response from a Scientologist will reflect one or several of these categories.

For example, the person starts out answering questions which seem innocent enough but, with asked more questions, switches into PR mode, and then, when questions become too sensitive in nature and appear "critical," becomes flustered, and decides to "Attack!"

It's a point of pride for a Scientology PR person to be able to handle non-Scientologists with PR.

Over-all, PR tech is better applied amongst Scientology Independents and Scientology FreeZoners than by Cof$ers.

After all, as the Scn Indies and Scn FZoners say, "Tech is out in Orgs."

And that would include PR tech.

From the Village Voice blog from some months ago...

From a poster named "Xenu," in reply to another poster named "Sketto":

Since I worked for HCO [Hubbard Communications Office] during the 1970s, I'd thought I'd chime in with what I personally witnessed during those years.

Hubbard actually did cancel disconnection, after Australia had cracked down, and New Zealand was on the verge of outlawing the cult. Not only did he cancel disconnection, but he also banned Fair Game, sec checks, and the recording of what went on in auditing sessions. Way cool, huh?

The only problem was that the policy letter cancelling those things was only issued to the New Zealand government commission that was considering the banning of Scientology.
    [note: It was also mentioned in a few other places, such a PR book written for Scientology, etc., and there was a show made of displaying Hubbard's 1968 faux "Reform Code" for "wogs" and "raw meat."]

I oversaw a ton of disconnection during the 1970s, and had to disconnect from a couple of people myself. I personally saw that they continued to happen at major Class IV [now called Class V] and SO [Sea Org] orgs just as they always had. Nothing changed... Sec checks and Fair Game continued, despite the wholly disingenuous sham of policy change.

Andre Tabayoyon, and various other poster here, who were in HCO in the '70s, can easily vouch for me on this

Here's some more from Xenu over at Tony O's at the Village Voice:

...Hubbard was getting a lot of PR flack over disconnection, so he wrote a policy which would help PR a lot without changing anything significant. I'm sure it was meant to be misunderstood by outsiders...

The policy did NOT cancel disconnection, rather it said that 'disconnection as a condition' was cancelled. Now, one might well ask, WTF is 'disconnection as a condition'?

If you dig through some ancient ethics folders, you would find that they would often explicitly state that the subject of the ethics order was to disconnect from one or more other parties who would be named in the ethics order, and that reinstatement to good standing would not happen until that had been done. THAT was disconnection as a condition.

So we stopped naming names of people to be disconnected from in ethics orders. Instead, Type A PTS would be told that they had to handle or disconnect, and if handling was impossible, well, too bad! And people still had to disconnect from SPs... the Nov '68 policy had no real impact other than PR.

From Volume One of the OEC Course, HCO Division, a.k.a. a Green Volume, from 1974, HCOPL dated 23 December 1965, 'Suppressive Acts, Suppression of Scientology and Scientologists', and on page two of that HCOPL there is a list of suppressive acts over forty lines long - most of the page.

"Suppressive acts are defined as actions or omissions undertaken to knowingly suppress, reduce, or impede Scientology or Scientologists...

"[Such suppressive acts include] public disavowal of Scientology... public statements against Scientology.

"[Suppressive acts also include] continued membership in a divergent group; continued adherence to a Suppressive Person or group pronounced a Suppressive Person or group by HCO; failure to handle or disavow or disconnect from a person demonstrably guilty of suppressive acts; being at the hire of anti-Scientology groups or persons..."

Disconnection was standard Scientology policy and practice in the 1970s.

When Hubbard's 1968 sham cancellation of Disconnection (and Fair Game) was seen to have created some amount of confusion, during a period of schism in the early 1980s, a decision was made to issue a reaffirmation of Disconnection, but anyone seriously involved with Scientology in the 1970s knows that disconnection was never discontinued. "Handle or disconnect" was always standard practice, no matter how it was disguised or named.

Just for laughs, and as an example of "Policy" used as PR, here's the 'Security Checks Abolished' announcement from Hubbard in 1968. Of course, 'Security Checking' was never abolished but was renamed 'Integrity Processing' and finally, in the mid 1970s, given its old name back - with a bizarre statement from Hubbard that attempts to disown the name change to 'Integrity Processing'. The "abolishing" is not even mentioned. Note how item # 5 (the actual reason for the faux "abolishing") is slipped in to a list of 7 items.

__________________________________________________ _

'SECURITY CHECKS ABOLISHED'
    The practice of security checking from security check lists like the "Joburg" has been abolished.
    There are several reasons for this:
    1. We have no interest in the secrets and crimes of people and no use for them.
    2. Security checking is often done without regard to the point where the person feels better and so became overrun.
    3. Security checking is often done in disregard of the state of a person's case.
    4. Low level cases do not react on actual crimes and so the "security" furnished is often a false security.
    5. There is public criticism of security checking as a practice.
    6. The existence of lists of crimes in folders often makes it necessary to destroy the folders which may contain other technical data which is constructive and valuable.
    7. If a person is a criminal or has overt acts which affect his case, and speaks of them to an auditor of his own volition, the auditor is bound by the Auditor's Code not to publish, use or reveal them.
    HCOPL 26 AUG 1968

From an interview of John McMaster, the 'world's first real Clear', from 1985:

He[Hubbard] got the technology to a point where he had a sort of assembly line as he called it. And he told me he was putting all these square ball bearings on the assembly line, and then turning them into round ball bearings at he other end.

PS. And, for those who still think that Hubbard really did discontinue Fair Game, Disconnection, and Security Checking in 1968, well... some other time.
    Last edited by Veda; 20th June 2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: PS added
    Visit the Ex Scientologist Message Board web site for selected content from ESMB and more: http://exscn.net/

7. Thanks Sharone Stainforth, SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes SweetnessandLight liked this post

This is really a tribute to the few insightful individuals who, in the late 1960s and early 1970s, saw things to which many of us were still blind, and who courageously spoke out.

In 1972, Robert Kaufman wrote the original Inside Scientology

And, of course, Burroughs wrote Naked Scientology.

Scientology is the model control system... How did Hubbard do it? With the e-meter of course. The e-meter is, amongst other things, a reliable lie detector in expert hands. The CIA also uses lie detectors and runs security checks on all personnel.
    BIll Burroughs, Naked Scientology

He[Hubbard] got the technology to a point where he had a sort of assembly line as he called it. And he told me he was putting all these square ball bearings on the assembly line, and then turning them into round ball bearings at the other end.
    John McMaster, 1985 interview

These individuals should not be forgotten.

9. Thanks Sharone Stainforth, SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post

Well, I can see this thread is not exactly catching fire, but that's alright. It's a brief compendium of views about the 1960s, and perhaps someone will stumble across it and find it helpful.

This last, is an excerpt from Franklin Jones' The Knee of Listening of 1971.

The chapter on Scientology was removed from later editions.

Franklin Jones, former auditor and staff member in New York and Los Angeles, split with Scientology and, following in Hubbard's footsteps, gradually became a toxic ego-maniacal guru.

Before descending into that madness and debauchery, he nonetheless wrote some insightful things about his time in Scientology in the 1960s.

To save time, suggest overlooking the personal references to obscure friends and acquaintances.

He did have some interesting and essentially positive things to say about the lower grades. That part has not been quoted here, but a quick scanning of the chapter will lead any curious person to it.

And this is not a tribute to Jones. He had a good mind, but ultimately went off the deep end.

The chapter: http://www.adidaarchives.org/kol_scientology.htm

Here are a few excerpts:

But when I actually performed the Clearing and O.T. levels I found that they continued to deal only with the content of the mind. And that content was continually identified with the peculiar cosmic politics favored by Ron Hubbard. Thus, I found that these levels never dealt with the fundamental problem of the mind itself, prior to any content. In fact, they only led people deeper and deeper into a fanciful, paranoic dilemma in which they were indoctrinated into the mentality of a cosmic political holocaust.

The people with whom I worked were chronically seeking release and "exteriorization" from the contents of the mind and from the physical body. This was itself a motivation grown out of fear and very little wisdom. To be sure, the evidence for exteriorization is conclusive, as it appears in works such as those of Jung. But nowhere in spiritual literature is it offered as the goal of life. Neither is it declared to be a necessary event in every case, prior to perfect knowledge.

In Scientology, however, exteriorization is the object of constant seeking. It is the sign of a period in cosmic history when spiritual beings had great powers and mobile freedom in the physical universe. Thus, it is pursued quite apart from any kind of higher wisdom. Exteriorization and various powers are sought for their own sake. Even the phenomenon supposed to be attained at "O.T. 8," the highest stage of Scientology auditing promoted at present, is called "total power."

I had taken up Scientology for reasons of my own and allowed myself to discover in it parallels to my own motives and experience. Thus, I had failed to recognize the precise nature of the study itself. It was only on the upper levels, when the activity of auditing had degenerated into exercises of pure nonsense, that I realized what I had in fact led myself into.

While I was busy doing the O.T. levels I dropped all of my resistance to the internal operation of the Shakti and began to recover my earlier state of awareness. The phenomenon of exteriorization was not unfamiliar to me, but its importance was quite different from that in which it was conceived in Scientology. For me, it was only one of the possible phenomena encountered in the growth of real consciousness. I attached no necessity or radical importance to it, nor to any other kind of "power."

I saw that Scientology was actually a political entity created along the lines of a fanciful interpretation of history. Its goals were political, not spiritual. Thus, its leading concern was power, not wisdom or realization.

I was going to include a section on Jack Horner, the first person to receive a "Doctor of Scientology," and who broke with Hubbard, establishing his own group, however I can find no traces of him on the Net at this time.

Well, except this: http://suppressiveperson.org/spdl/in...=290&Itemid=30

I do recall his symbol: An arrow pointing in two directions, which was a statement of protest to Hubbard's "I am the Source"-mania, a mania, often associated with the 1965, 'Keeping Scientology Working', but which was manifest in Scientology long before 1965 - as old issues of 'Aberree' magazine will confirm.

11. Thanks Sharone Stainforth says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Sharone Stainforth liked this post