Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The long term effects of scientology on children

Shiny Free Crusader Free to shine's Avatar

Default The long term effects of scientology on children

The recent attention on the upbringing of children within scientology motivated me to try and define the areas where they can be most affected. I am somewhat limited in this as I experienced it myself, and to this day am still peeling the layers and finding those hidden concepts that warp one’s outlook. It would be helpful to me and to many others to have input on this.

I think the greatest impact on a child is the area of self esteem. Here’s a nice reference :
    Self-esteem is a term in psychology to reflect a person's overall evaluation or appraisal of his or her own worth. Self-esteem encompasses beliefs (for example, "I am competent", "I am worthy") and emotions such as triumph, despair, pride and shame[1]. 'The self-concept is what we think about the self; self-esteem, the positive or negative evaluation of the self, is how we feel about it'.[2] A person’s self-concept consists of the beliefs one has about oneself, one’s self-perception, or, as Hamlyn (1983: 241) expresses it, "the picture of oneself". Baumeister (1997) described self-concept as totally perception which people hold about him/ herself (p. 681). It is not the "facts" about one-self but rather what one believes to be true about one-self (Sarah Mercer, p. 14). Early researchers used self-concept as a descriptive construct, such as ‘I am an athlete’ (Rosenberg 1979).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-esteem

There are many things that go to build self esteem, and many ways that scientology puts a roadblock in the way.

The areas that come to mind:
    1. Being sick or ill
    2. Stats
    3. Lack of individuality, group dynamics
    4. Study
    5. Family dynamics and love
    6. Past life justifications

I'd like some help, if you can.....
    QUOTE OF THE YEAR: "I wasn't aware that a documentary (on scientology) was coming out but I'll be sure to not watch it." A Scientologist

2. Thanks JBWriter, Purple Rain, Wants2Talk, Coyote13, Sharone Stainforth and 1 others says "thank you" for this post

Default Re: The long term effects of scientology on children

Quote Originally Posted by Free to shine View Post
    The recent attention on the upbringing of children within scientology motivated me to try and define the areas where they can be most affected. I am somewhat limited in this as I experienced it myself, and to this day am still peeling the layers and finding those hidden concepts that warp one’s outlook. It would be helpful to me and to many others to have input on this.

I think the greatest impact on a child is the area of self esteem. Here’s a nice reference :

There are many things that go to build self esteem, and many ways that scientology puts a roadblock in the way.

1. Being sick or ill
    2. Stats
    4. Study

You already have "past life justifications", but "this life" justifications are part of it.
    Being made responsible for causing things that you did not cause ("pulling things in").

Being treated as an adult. This can be when they have both physically and psychologically not developed to do/be what is expected. I am talking here about brain development and social development not being adequate yet for the adult-like being they are assumed to be.

4. Thanks guRl, Coyote13, Sharone Stainforth, sallydannce, Free to shine says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Purple Rain, Coyote13 liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron

I wonder about the issue of trusting the outside world. By this I mean that the "us and them" mentality. The constant under-current of "we have the best answers, they are just wogs". The outside world is to be regarded with suspicion - at best with mild contempt, at worst with complete disregard and disdain.

A child cannot integrate in a healthy way into life if they are raised to hold the outside world as either dangerous or inferior.

I saw scientology raised children who held a very condescending attitude to anyone that was not "in" scientology. Yes they were polite, yes they were pleasant but if you stepped back, these youngsters did not trust outsiders to be of any true value.

That extended out leaves the child with limited options as they enter adulthood. University professors are held in contempt; medicos - well let's not even go there; non-scientologists are to be held as potential trouble sources as "they" don't have the answers to life (the tech). Therefore the child/young adult makes limiting decisions and often remains well within the confines of the mentally controlling system. They join the SO, they join general staff, they work only for other scientologists - they can't truly trust the outside world.

Just some thoughts rattling round in my head.

6. Thanks Sharone Stainforth, Free to shine says "thank you" for this post
    Shiny Free Crusader Free to shine's Avatar

I'm going to do a series of blog articles and tie in with real life experiences I know of. The thing is that the whole subject is complex and clouded for me, so I really appreciate the kickstart Sally and DB. As I do this I'll post the articles here too.
    QUOTE OF THE YEAR: "I wasn't aware that a documentary (on scientology) was coming out but I'll be sure to not watch it." A Scientologist

8. Thanks Sharone Stainforth, sallydannce says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron

I worry about the ingrained phobia that all psychiatry is to be avoided, even when a child needs help, that only scientology counseling on the e-meter is the way to deal with mental health.

The e-meter as many children have found out for themselves is a sham, I am not the only one to have said this.

Contrary to statements made by Scientologists that do e-metered counseling, I believe this contraption adds to the psychological damage imposed on children by getting them to believe this is the only way.

All psychiatrists are not the bogey men that scientology children are lead to believe and they are lead to believe this.After seeing a psychiatrist at the age of 15, having tried to end my life, it was with the psychiatrists help that I was able to start putting my life back together.What I still failed to realise was I could have done with a lot more of his help at that time, but still with this dreadful fear of psychiatry instilled in me and a lack of trust, I opted not to.

On reflection, I do believe it would have been invaluable and saved much ill health and heartbreak later on.
    "he also introduced all of us and indeed he thrust us into his practises of cruelty, inhumanity, abuse and punishment, all of which he systematically reframed as positive and as requirements for enlightenment." - Hana Eltringham/Whifield speaking in Hamburg on the 28th of March 2010.

http://www.lermanet.com/

http:/
    /www.scientologydisconnection.com/

http://www.exscientologykids.com

10. Thanks Free to shine says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Purple Rain, degraded being liked this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron

Great idea, Free to Shine.
    "he also introduced all of us and indeed he thrust us into his practises of cruelty, inhumanity, abuse and punishment, all of which he systematically reframed as positive and as requirements for enlightenment." - Hana Eltringham/Whifield speaking in Hamburg on the 28th of March 2010.

http://www.lermanet.com/

http:/
    /www.scientologydisconnection.com/

http://www.exscientologykids.com

The long term effects of Scientology on children, are probably about the same as the long term effects of growing up in North Korea is on children.

Except they see Kim Jong-il creepy image in their nightmares instead of L. Ron Hubbard's creepy image in their nightmares.
    Yes lurkers you are not alone, everyone thinks Scientology is creepy, it's not just you

http://www.mediacurves.com/Religion/...logy/Index.cfm

Suspended animation ... I told you I was trouble's Avatar

Emotional response if certainly frowned upon (unless it's above a certain point on the silly tone scale) so grief (for example) needs to be done and dusted as fast as possible as do all the other emotions that are unacceptable to the cult.

Also, a child that has parents that are cultic must put enormous pressure on the child in many subtle ways (with normal friends etc or the lack of them).

"I like pigs. Cats look down on you; dogs look up to you; but pigs treat you like an equal."

Sir Winston Churchill.

14. Thanks JBWriter, Free to shine, Coyote13 says "thank you" for this post
    Likes degraded being liked this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron Wants2Talk's Avatar

Hubbard supplants your Daddy and your heavenly Father.

Silver Meritorious Patron Nicole's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Free to shine View Post

1. Being sick or ill
    2. Stats
    4. Study

Great idea, FTS...

I believe writing a blog about this topic in English is very useful... On my German blog about childhood in Scientology, I had lots of traffic the last days.

Hmmm, I believe the points you and the other persons here in this thread have made are very good. Scientology children and later adults are having less self esteem, I can see it on myself. It is a every day fight for me, not to say only "yes", to say what I want to say and to do the things I want.

I also believe the whole TRs used on kids are build to destroy the self esteem. Today are used "different" ones for kids, but I believe it makes the same with the kids. Kids are learning there to put themselves back. They are learning to say "Yes Sir" and not to think for themselves. The self esteem gets destroyed during this "training".

I have so much to say or write about it, but it is too difficult for me in English... So I will go on to write my blog in German... ;)

I need a little bit applause for the good stats on my blog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto vom 2012-07-15 18:08:48.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	4968  

17. Thanks Free to shine, Purple Rain, sallydannce says "thank you" for this post
    Likes sallydannce liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast