Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The E-meter Scam

Default Re: The E-meter Scam

Quote Originally Posted by Etrawl View Post
    I am amongst the people who never held e-meter in their hands, although I saw the photos of it and read the descriptions of its functions.
    <snip>
    First off, I am NOT a believer in the E Meter although at one time I used 'em for, oh, 6 or 7 thousand hours .... nor am I a fan or believer in scn ( or any of its derivations ) although I did it for a few decades.

That said, you are trying to talk about something you obviously know absolutely nothing factual about.

Please, learn something about what you are trying to talk about.

PS - I'm done with scn style auditing, but, were I to take it up again ( I won't ) I do any of it without any kind of meter. Hint : check out communication.

" Insist on yourself ; never imitate ".
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

" Nothing is as at last scared but the integrity of your own mind "
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron

Quote Originally Posted by Dulloldfart View Post
    I had actually dumped some salt in the water beforehand, and more than a few grains too, like half a teaspoon or something. Similarly for the other underwater metering videos there. I figured it would probably help with the conductivity. It was a real sloppy experiment, as you can see, but I was just curious as to what would happen. It's easy enough for anyone to replicate. Anyone with an emeter, or equivalent, anyway.

Paul
    What I meant was, to look at the before-during-and-after effect of adding a bit of salt. Compare before and after, you know. That's a crude version of the ideal experiment, since sweat would add the salt right where it's needed to help getting through the skin, but it would at least show something if the effects of adding a bit more salt were comparable to the effects you saw without salt, just by thinking different thoughts with your hands in the water.

Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar

I see. Well, it's unlikely I'll do it because I don't care that much and think the sweat/unsweat idea is too ridiculous for words. The thing is, I say it is easy enough to replicate the experiment, by which I mean it is a piece of cake (once you've got a meter) to drop the leads in two containers of water and stick your fingertips in and hold your fingers still. Someone else could add the salt and pepper and ketchup. But what is *not* easy to repeat is to produce the exact same reads more than once, especially repeatedly.

There' s a drill, "Consider the events of today," where the coach holding the cans thinks of different things that happened that day, and when the student auditor sees a particular read he says "What was that?" The coach then thinks of different things and finally (maybe 5 or 10 seconds later) thinks of the same thing. The meter is supposed to give an identical read, and the student says "that!" It's quite an impressive drill when it works, and it works quite often. But sometimes the coach can't get the exact same thought, or the meter doesn't read exactly the same. Plus every time the coach thinks of the thing it tends to discharge a bit and the read gets smaller.

Paul
    PaulsRobot Iconic now available for use at www.PaulsRobot2.com. With Auto-Report. Video here. Introductory post here. Debug post here. Dipoles post here.

5. Thanks guanoloco, CarmeloOrchards says "thank you" for this post
    Likes guanoloco, CarmeloOrchards liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Demented LRH View Post
    I was not affraid of sec checks because I knew how to fool the e-meter, which I did on numerous occasions when I wanted to avoid word clearing procedures.

I would say that if the e-meter could be fooled so easily, then it is a very inaccurate device.
    I saw a British documentary in which an investigative reporter was trained to fool a meter in order to be able to do a fair amount of lower bridge course work. All on camera.

I've also read online where people got floating needles and/or passed sec checks only after they stopped giving a shit about the results.

I've never tried to deliberately fool an e-meter. But given what I've read on the subject, it would probably be fairly easy. I've done enough biofeedback in my life to be able to change my autonomic nervous reactions mostly at will. The glaring exception that I cannot change is an allergic reaction, but that is not the same as fear / garden variety adrenaline.
    The main key to free a person from this cult is compassion. This is true of all cults, but it is especially true of Scientology, where, in the upper echelons, there isn't even any pretense of compassion. Showing compassion just might be the key to breaking through the person's cult identity and reaching the real person.

***Monica Pignotti - My Nine Lives in Scientology***
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/pignotti/

7. Likes Demented LRH liked this post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dulloldfart View Post
    I have several meter videos in my ESMB YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/esmbdof. Videos show more than still photos. I also don't have an agenda of proving it's all bullshit. Most of those videos are experiments of one kind or another.

This particular "underwater metering" video shows the meter reading where I have the electrode wires sitting in two cups of water, and I have placed my fingertips in the cups, keeping them as still as possible, and not touching the wires. That the meter reads like this shows that it is not reading on sweat/unsweat and muscle twitches.

There are some F/Ns in there too.

Check out some of the other videos to see the needle moving and not moving. Don't get the idea that the needle always flops around whoever is holding the cans and whatever is being thought of.

Paul
    great work Paul!

the idea that the meter was reading on sweat was always ludicrous but, so far as i know science still thinks GSR (galvanic skin resistance) has something to do with sweat.

PLEASE!

publish your experiment Paul!

Yeah, it's not sweat or the moisture of the skin that accounts for the readings that the meter shows. The moisture of the skin does have an effect, but that isn't the explanation of the various reads.
    "Your Freezone stinks."

-
    Steve Hall

"It is true that the term FZ includes many varients of Scn, and some may be inadequate. Or even wrong headed."

- Terril Park

Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Birdsong View Post
    publish your experiment Paul!
    As I said, I don't care that much. Those underwater metering experiments are very rough, and not in the least formal, or with controls, or written up, or anything. But anyone can repeat and vary the experiment, as long as they have an emeter or equivalent. One can be picked up from eBay for a couple of hundred bucks, and water is cheap.

The experiments are on YouTube, freely available for 3 years now, and not just in text form, and that is about all the publishing of them that I am likely to do.

Paul
    PaulsRobot Iconic now available for use at www.PaulsRobot2.com. With Auto-Report. Video here. Introductory post here. Debug post here. Dipoles post here.

11. Thanks Commander Birdsong says "thank you" for this post
    Patron Meritorious

"A floating needle is a rhythmic sweep of the dial at a slow, even pace of the needle. That’s what an F/N is. No other definition is correct.” HCOB 21 July 1978 What Is A Floating Needle? (Tech Vol. II, p. 204) this definition of FN is also in the Tech Dictionary.

A rhythmic sweep? This definition does not say anything of value-- what seems "rhythmic" to some may seem unrhythmic to their peers.

A slow pace? What seems slow to some may seem fast to their colleagues.

This is a crappy definition, there is nothing scientific about it.
    “This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm”.
    L. Ron Hubbard

No soy marinero, soy capitan del culto de mi padre.
    LRH era loco y estupido.

You should note that emeter usage has been known to generate false memories because of Scientologists' utter faith in such a drastically inaccurate instrument. I would go so far as to say all Scientologists suffer from false memory syndrome.

14. Thanks SuperPowers says "thank you" for this post
    Likes degraded being liked this post
    Patron Meritorious

Quote Originally Posted by Adam7986 View Post
    You should note that emeter usage has been known to generate false memories because of Scientologists' utter faith in such a drastically inaccurate instrument. I would go so far as to say all Scientologists suffer from false memory syndrome.
    I think that the e-meter is in part responsible for creation of false memories of the past lives. I am not sure if it generates false memories of events that supposedly occurred in present life.
    “This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm”.
    L. Ron Hubbard

No soy marinero, soy capitan del culto de mi padre.
    LRH era loco y estupido.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast