Thread: Spiritual Abuse ~ Indicator's of cults ~ must read

Gold Meritorious Patron Idle Morgue's Avatar

Default Spiritual Abuse ~ Indicator's of cults ~ must read

I am taking an ICU for those people that have undergone spiritual abuse and the traits of cults are very common even if the religion or "god" is different. Nothing new for most of you here - but perhaps it may help some lurker. The people in my group have had the exact same type of abuse as one in Scientology!

Religious abuse occurs across faiths, not from beliefs but from "a personality pathology and mental illness of the leader"!(Hello L Ron Hubbard and David Miscavige)

The leader has one or more of these traits:

1. Narcissistic - no empathy for others, less dangerous than the Anti-social
    2. Anti-Scocial -no conscious, no empathy for others - willing to do anything to protect self.
    3. Obsessive Compulsive - everything has to be their way - drive others crazy with micro management
    4. Borderline - easily triggered and have no emotional filters. Very manipulative and suicidal.
    5. Paranoid - a belief that everyone is out to get them - the control to keep those under their thumbs from talking about them or the Organization will become more important than the goals the Organization stand for.

Leaders with these personality disorders have serious difficulties emotionally, relationally and cognitively. They distort their own writings and can be so significant in distortion that the believers are seriously harmed.

Go to Gracerecovery.org - to see another ex cult website for those that were involved with IBLP/ ATI. I had never heard about this group. I met a girl tonight that was raised in it - very similar to Scientology type tactics to control and manipulate and trap. She was devastated by the experience. She is out and healing!

2. Thanks Knows, SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Knows, SweetnessandLight liked this post

Smile Re: Spiritual Abuse ~ Indicator's of cults ~ must read

MorGee, I find at least two different groups in two different states called by the same name, or very similar. Not sure which one you meant, and list of traits is not apparent on websites? Help, please? Thanks!
    Yes, you can fly, but first you have to break out of that cocoon. You are capable of self rescue at all times. "Every blade of grass has its own special angel watching over it and whispering, 'grow...grow'." -The Talmud "I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be, for I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our disposition, and not upon our circumstances." -Martha Washington

4. Thanks Idle Morgue says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Idle Morgue liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron Idle Morgue's Avatar

Default Re: Spiritual Abuse ~ Indicator's of cults ~ must read

I love it that you called me "Morgee"! Most people call me "Idle" ~ does not really matter - as long as you call me!!

She would not mention the group - she is embarrassed. Everyone in the group was "afraid" to mention the group that abused them...this is part of the indoctrination. She said that she taught at their "center" in Indianapolis - so I have no idea which group yet..it is one of the two though.

This information was from the facilitator of the group. She said there is not a lot of help out there for "spiritual abuse" and the room was packed full. She is a counselor in helping those and she volunteers - no charge. She handed out a outline of "characteristics and the why churches/ religious groups can and do abuse and what to look out for to help others from getting trapped. Messing with the one's spiritual beliefs is done because good people trust that the "leader" is good, like them.

I am gathering information so that I can help those in Scientology get out. I just helped a couple get completely OUT of Scientology this past weekend. I am using this information and they now know Hubbard was a con.

Just because one has been spiritually abused does not mean there is not a God or a path. It just means that you have been spiritually abused and you can heal completely. You have been enlightened in the evilness that man can go to - much like child abuse or any other type of abuse. Prior to Scientology - I had no idea that man could sink to such evilness. Now I know and I want to help others go free!!

Here is some great information from that website:

1.) Part One: Milieu Control
    2.) Part Two: Mystical Manipulation
    3.) Part Three: The Demand for Purity
    4.) Part Four: The Cult of Confession
    5.) Part Five: The “Sacred Science”
    6.) Part Six: Loading the Language
    7.) Part Seven: Doctrine Over Person
    8.) Part Eight: The Dispensing of Existence

Part One: Milieu Control
    The first step in controlling the mind of a person is to control his or her environment. “Milieu” is just a fancy name for environment. Cults and other destructive groups try to control members’ access to the outside world. They do this by limiting contact with two things: people and information.
    1.) First, limiting contact with people. Destructive religious groups have an “us vs. them” mentality and therefore limit communication with people outside of their group. This includes friends, family members, and anyone else not wholeheartedly approving of the group or its leader(s). People outside the group are considered bad, evil, or unenlightened. The leaders discourage free-thinking dialogue. They also promote an unhealthy fear of contamination by outsiders.
    Many cults encourage or require members to live communally so that leaders can control their members. Members may have to ask permission to visit family members, make a phone call to a relative, or send a letter to a friend. Leaders may ask to monitor any such conversations or demand to censor correspondence. Members are told that they are not yet wise enough or mature enough to discern between harmful and benign outside influences. Leaders discourage genuine dialogue and instead encourage one-sided proselytizing and scripted, stilted encounters with family members.
    For example, in my former church we were told to distinguish between our “spiritual” family and our “natural” family, and to cut off any family member who expressed concerns about the pastor or the church. The pastor also encouraged group members to move closer to the church. Church events — scheduled to the point of exhaustion — were mandatory. In one instance, my pastor forbade me to reply to an email from my twin brother, since my brother had left our church.
    Biblical passages cited to support this mentality of cutting off family members or “worldy” influences include James 4:4 — “Don’t you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God?”; 2 Corinthians 6:14 — “Do not be bound together with unbelievers”; and Luke 14:26 — “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters — yes, even his own life — he cannot be my disciple.”
    Biblical refutation of this point: While the Bible does call Christians to live pure lives and avoid contamination from sinful influences, the New Testament also encourages openness to outsiders (John 4:7–10, 39, 40; Acts 10; Acts 17). When the Apostle Peter closed himself off from Gentile believers (“outsiders” in Jewish terms) he was rebuked openly by Paul for his hypocrisy (cf. Gal 2:11–14). Peter accepted the rebuke and later acknowledged Paul’s wisdom as a man who even wrote scripture (2 Peter 3:15–16). Jesus was so connected with the local community and engaged with “sinners” that he scandalized the Pharisees (Matthew 9:11; Luke 5:30). He understood that God loves the world (John 3:16) and that he wants mercy rather than self-righteous sacrifice (Matthew 9:13).
    In regard to family members, Matthew 10:37 shows that the “hate” in Luke 14:26 does not mean to truly hate family members — instead, it is a matter of preference and degree. We should love our parents and relatives, but we must love God to a greater degree. Indeed, the Pharisees tried to use biblical justification to dishonor their parents, but Jesus called the Pharisees hypocrites (cf. Matthew 15:15ff).
    The problem is that cultists define “unbelievers” as everyone outside of their group. This is because, as Stephen Martin says, they too narrowly define “their own group as the only true believers in Jesus. The fact is, cult members will find that there are many true believers in Jesus ‘out there’ if they will just openly and honestly listen to what they say and see what they do.”
    This is precisely why cult leaders try to control their members by having them cut off contact with other people. This is a symptom of milieu-control.
    2.) Second, limiting information. Cults and destructive religious groups have an obsessive need to restrict “worldly” influences which they define as other religious teachings, negative news reports about the group, or any information passed on to group members by concerned family members. Leaders may prohibit group members from watching the news, getting on the Internet, reading non-religious books, or accepting any resources from people outside of the group. When news reports or family members express concern about the group, group leaders may feel a need to exhaustively discuss the reports to prove to group members why the reports are false or unbiblical. Critical thinking is discouraged, and the interpretation of the leader(s) is exalted as God’s truth on every matter.
    As an example, when my former church garnered media attention due to our aberrant practices such as accusations against former members and harmful shunning, our pastor spoke from the pulpit refuting each item in detail. When relatives outside the church expressed concern through books or pamphlets, our pastor confiscated the items and used them as examples of heresy. On one occasion, my pastor made me print for him all of my email correspondence with a college friend. My pastor then read through the stack in detail, discussing with me every word or phrase which proved that my relationship with this friend was “worldly.” Needless to say, my relationship with that friend quickly ended.
    Biblical passages cited to support information-control are 1 John 2:15 — “Do not love the world or anything in the world”; James 1:27 — “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this… to keep oneself from being polluted by the world”; and Matthew 16:6 — “Beware the leaven of the Pharisees.”
    Biblical refutation for this point: While the Bible does call Christians to avoid corrupting influences and to respect the judgment of true, trustworthy leaders,
    I Thessalonians 5:21 says that believers should “examine everything carefully.” Acts 17:11 commends the Bereans who listened to Paul and then searched the scriptures diligently to see if what he said was true. And in Galatians, Paul chastises the Galatian believers for putting up with unsound doctrine and allowing false teachers to take them captive with a gospel which was really no gospel at all. In his concern for their lack of critical thinking, Paul exclaims, “You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you?” (Gal 3:1).
    Bewitch. A fitting term to describe how cult leaders brainwash their followers through milieu-control.

All articles on this site reflect the views of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of other Recovering Grace contributors or the leadership of the site. Students who have survived Gothardism tend to end up at a wide variety of places on the spiritual and theological spectrum, thus the diversity of opinions expressed on this website reflects that. For our official statement of beliefs, click here.

ATI ATIA Bill Gothard Cult guilt healing Homeschool legalism manipulation mind control spiritual abuse
    Share this post:
    Tweet this Share on Facebook Stumble it Share on Reddit Digg it Add to Delicious! Add to Technorati Add to Google Add to Myspace Subscribe to RSS
    [h=About the author]3[/h] Steve graduated in 2012 with his Master's of Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary in the Media Arts in Ministry track. A 2005 graduate of Taylor University, Steve has a passion for victims of spiritual abuse and wants to help them discover God's redemptive plan for their lives. He lives with his wife in Columbus, Ohio.
    More posts by Stephen Smith | Visit the site of Stephen Smith
    Last edited by Idle Morgue; 13th February 2013 at 05:38 AM.

6. Thanks Knows, Commander Birdsong, Lori, SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Knows, Lori, SweetnessandLight liked this post

In some places, it's a way to say SCN is cult without actually saying it, to avoid libel issues and not to turn away people who are politically apathetic and don't like personal attacks. What CoS does is a perfect specimen of what a cult should be. LRH is what a cult leader wants to be. Time to call a spade a spade. If you talk about characteristics, scnists will always bring Jesus into play.

8. Thanks SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ccas View Post
    In some places, it's a way to say SCN is cult without actually saying it, to avoid libel issues and not to turn away people who are politically apathetic and don't like personal attacks. What CoS does is a perfect specimen of what a cult should be. LRH is what a cult leader wants to be. Time to call a spade a spade. If you talk about characteristics, scnists will always bring Jesus into play.
    To my knowledge Scientology has never (in 20 years) made the word 'cult' a legal issue, but fraud is actually a more accurate description, especially in light of the multitude of documented lies.

See Time Magazine summary judgement filing Judge Leisure < last libel suit filed by Scn, won by Time Magazine

10. Thanks AnonSunshine, SweetnessandLight says "thank you" for this post
    Likes AnonSunshine, SweetnessandLight liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lermanet_com View Post
    To my knowledge Scientology has never (in 20 years) made the word 'cult' a legal issue, but fraud is actually a more accurate description, especially in light of the multitude of documented lies.

See Time Magazine summary judgement filing Judge Leisure < last libel suit filed by Scn, won by Time Magazine
    How soon we forget! It was only a few short years ago that EpicNoseGuy Anon was taken to task by cult-bawwwing for using the term 'cult', cult lost in the Brit. courts and the right to call cult a 'cult' was upheld. (2008)
    WWP thread HERE
    Face it, they don't push the issue much because in every sense of the word 'cult' exactly describes Hubbard's twisted construct, they cannot win that or afford the negative additional publicity such actions would open up (ie. people looking up CoS for themselves).

'Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.'
    Marcus Aurelius

THE BIG LIST of EX'S who have Spoken Out fx'd

12. Thanks SweetnessandLight, JBWriter says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Idle Morgue View Post
    I love it that you called me "Morgee"! Most people call me "Idle" ~ does not really matter - as long as you call me!!

She would not mention the group - she is embarrassed. Everyone in the group was "afraid" to mention the group that abused them...this is part of the indoctrination. She said that she taught at their "center" in Indianapolis - so I have no idea which group yet..it is one of the two though.

This information was from the facilitator of the group. She said there is not a lot of help out there for "spiritual abuse" and the room was packed full. She is a counselor in helping those and she volunteers - no charge. She handed out a outline of "characteristics and the why churches/ religious groups can and do abuse and what to look out for to help others from getting trapped. Messing with the one's spiritual beliefs is done because good people trust that the "leader" is good, like them.

I am gathering information so that I can help those in Scientology get out. I just helped a couple get completely OUT of Scientology this past weekend. I am using this information and they now know Hubbard was a con.

Just because one has been spiritually abused does not mean there is not a God or a path. It just means that you have been spiritually abused and you can heal completely. You have been enlightened in the evilness that man can go to - much like child abuse or any other type of abuse. Prior to Scientology - I had no idea that man could sink to such evilness. Now I know and I want to help others go free!!

Here is some great information from that website:

1.) Part One: Milieu Control
    2.) Part Two: Mystical Manipulation
    3.) Part Three: The Demand for Purity
    4.) Part Four: The Cult of Confession
    5.) Part Five: The “Sacred Science”
    6.) Part Six: Loading the Language
    7.) Part Seven: Doctrine Over Person
    8.) Part Eight: The Dispensing of Existence

Part One: Milieu Control
    The first step in controlling the mind of a person is to control his or her environment. “Milieu” is just a fancy name for environment. Cults and other destructive groups try to control members’ access to the outside world. They do this by limiting contact with two things: people and information.
    1.) First, limiting contact with people. Destructive religious groups have an “us vs. them” mentality and therefore limit communication with people outside of their group. This includes friends, family members, and anyone else not wholeheartedly approving of the group or its leader(s). People outside the group are considered bad, evil, or unenlightened. The leaders discourage free-thinking dialogue. They also promote an unhealthy fear of contamination by outsiders.
    Many cults encourage or require members to live communally so that leaders can control their members. Members may have to ask permission to visit family members, make a phone call to a relative, or send a letter to a friend. Leaders may ask to monitor any such conversations or demand to censor correspondence. Members are told that they are not yet wise enough or mature enough to discern between harmful and benign outside influences. Leaders discourage genuine dialogue and instead encourage one-sided proselytizing and scripted, stilted encounters with family members.
    For example, in my former church we were told to distinguish between our “spiritual” family and our “natural” family, and to cut off any family member who expressed concerns about the pastor or the church. The pastor also encouraged group members to move closer to the church. Church events — scheduled to the point of exhaustion — were mandatory. In one instance, my pastor forbade me to reply to an email from my twin brother, since my brother had left our church.
    Biblical passages cited to support this mentality of cutting off family members or “worldy” influences include James 4:4 — “Don’t you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God?”; 2 Corinthians 6:14 — “Do not be bound together with unbelievers”; and Luke 14:26 — “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters — yes, even his own life — he cannot be my disciple.”
    Biblical refutation of this point: While the Bible does call Christians to live pure lives and avoid contamination from sinful influences, the New Testament also encourages openness to outsiders (John 4:7–10, 39, 40; Acts 10; Acts 17). When the Apostle Peter closed himself off from Gentile believers (“outsiders” in Jewish terms) he was rebuked openly by Paul for his hypocrisy (cf. Gal 2:11–14). Peter accepted the rebuke and later acknowledged Paul’s wisdom as a man who even wrote scripture (2 Peter 3:15–16). Jesus was so connected with the local community and engaged with “sinners” that he scandalized the Pharisees (Matthew 9:11; Luke 5:30). He understood that God loves the world (John 3:16) and that he wants mercy rather than self-righteous sacrifice (Matthew 9:13).
    In regard to family members, Matthew 10:37 shows that the “hate” in Luke 14:26 does not mean to truly hate family members — instead, it is a matter of preference and degree. We should love our parents and relatives, but we must love God to a greater degree. Indeed, the Pharisees tried to use biblical justification to dishonor their parents, but Jesus called the Pharisees hypocrites (cf. Matthew 15:15ff).
    The problem is that cultists define “unbelievers” as everyone outside of their group. This is because, as Stephen Martin says, they too narrowly define “their own group as the only true believers in Jesus. The fact is, cult members will find that there are many true believers in Jesus ‘out there’ if they will just openly and honestly listen to what they say and see what they do.”
    This is precisely why cult leaders try to control their members by having them cut off contact with other people. This is a symptom of milieu-control.
    2.) Second, limiting information. Cults and destructive religious groups have an obsessive need to restrict “worldly” influences which they define as other religious teachings, negative news reports about the group, or any information passed on to group members by concerned family members. Leaders may prohibit group members from watching the news, getting on the Internet, reading non-religious books, or accepting any resources from people outside of the group. When news reports or family members express concern about the group, group leaders may feel a need to exhaustively discuss the reports to prove to group members why the reports are false or unbiblical. Critical thinking is discouraged, and the interpretation of the leader(s) is exalted as God’s truth on every matter.
    As an example, when my former church garnered media attention due to our aberrant practices such as accusations against former members and harmful shunning, our pastor spoke from the pulpit refuting each item in detail. When relatives outside the church expressed concern through books or pamphlets, our pastor confiscated the items and used them as examples of heresy. On one occasion, my pastor made me print for him all of my email correspondence with a college friend. My pastor then read through the stack in detail, discussing with me every word or phrase which proved that my relationship with this friend was “worldly.” Needless to say, my relationship with that friend quickly ended.
    Biblical passages cited to support information-control are 1 John 2:15 — “Do not love the world or anything in the world”; James 1:27 — “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this… to keep oneself from being polluted by the world”; and Matthew 16:6 — “Beware the leaven of the Pharisees.”
    Biblical refutation for this point: While the Bible does call Christians to avoid corrupting influences and to respect the judgment of true, trustworthy leaders,
    I Thessalonians 5:21 says that believers should “examine everything carefully.” Acts 17:11 commends the Bereans who listened to Paul and then searched the scriptures diligently to see if what he said was true. And in Galatians, Paul chastises the Galatian believers for putting up with unsound doctrine and allowing false teachers to take them captive with a gospel which was really no gospel at all. In his concern for their lack of critical thinking, Paul exclaims, “You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you?” (Gal 3:1).
    Bewitch. A fitting term to describe how cult leaders brainwash their followers through milieu-control.

All articles on this site reflect the views of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of other Recovering Grace contributors or the leadership of the site. Students who have survived Gothardism tend to end up at a wide variety of places on the spiritual and theological spectrum, thus the diversity of opinions expressed on this website reflects that. For our official statement of beliefs, click here.

ATI ATIA Bill Gothard Cult guilt healing Homeschool legalism manipulation mind control spiritual abuse
    Share this post:
    Tweet this Share on Facebook Stumble it Share on Reddit Digg it Add to Delicious! Add to Technorati Add to Google Add to Myspace Subscribe to RSS
    [h=About the author]3[/h] Steve graduated in 2012 with his Master's of Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary in the Media Arts in Ministry track. A 2005 graduate of Taylor University, Steve has a passion for victims of spiritual abuse and wants to help them discover God's redemptive plan for their lives. He lives with his wife in Columbus, Ohio.
    More posts by Stephen Smith | Visit the site of Stephen Smith
    Heh - this is really good information. Thank you ! I will share it with people I am working with to get them out of Scientology!

Quote Originally Posted by Idle Morgue View Post
    I am taking an ICU for those people that have undergone spiritual abuse and the traits of cults are very common even if the religion or "god" is different. Nothing new for most of you here - but perhaps it may help some lurker. The people in my group have had the exact same type of abuse as one in Scientology!

Religious abuse occurs across faiths, not from beliefs but from "a personality pathology and mental illness of the leader"!(Hello L Ron Hubbard and David Miscavige)

The leader has one or more of these traits:

1. Narcissistic - no empathy for others, less dangerous than the Anti-social
    2. Anti-Scocial -no conscious, no empathy for others - willing to do anything to protect self.
    3. Obsessive Compulsive - everything has to be their way - drive others crazy with micro management
    4. Borderline - easily triggered and have no emotional filters. Very manipulative and suicidal.
    5. Paranoid - a belief that everyone is out to get them - the control to keep those under their thumbs from talking about them or the Organization will become more important than the goals the Organization stand for.

Leaders with these personality disorders have serious difficulties emotionally, relationally and cognitively. They distort their own writings and can be so significant in distortion that the believers are seriously harmed.

Go to Gracerecovery.org - to see another ex cult website for those that were involved with IBLP/ ATI. I had never heard about this group. I met a girl tonight that was raised in it - very similar to Scientology type tactics to control and manipulate and trap. She was devastated by the experience. She is out and healing!
    Seeking to get rich, have power and control- from being head of something that purports to help people find truth or enlightenment means that tge leader is as described above.
    I do not have a sig line.

15. Thanks Knows says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Knows liked this post