Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Robert Heinlein, A Stranger in a Strange Land, and Ron Hubbard

Gold Meritorious Patron Mimsey Borogrove's Avatar

Default Robert Heinlein, A Stranger in a Strange Land, and Ron Hubbard

So. What the heck? I am wondering to what extent Heinlein influenced Hubbard or vice versa. See, I just listened to Heinlein's book a Stranger in a Strange Land book on audio book while driving, and many points in the book struck me as Scientology. The mental gains resulting in a healthy body, the ability to leave one’s body, the utopian group. My biggest criticism of Bob's work is it seems like a daydream to me. Especially his later books. And the free love bit, well, seemed unreal. But as the book progressed I began to appreciate him as a writer more and more. The further I went the more parallels between his fiction and my understanding of Scientology ( the version I hooked up with in the late sixties ) became apparent.

I began to wonder - who influenced whom?

Cut to: I read a bit about R.A. Heinlein on wikipedia, and discover, he was married 3 x, his 3rd wife was a muse of sorts, he knew Campbell, odds and ends about his life.

Segue!

So, now I am listening to L. Wright's wonderful book about Scientology on CD as I am driving home from work, And what do I hear? Hubbard had an affair with Heinlein's wife (which one, I don't know). And this is on the heels of his hooking up with Sara which made Parsons see red. Oh, sorry. Was Robert A. putting his free love theories to the test? Wright has Parsons getting pretty jealous. One wonders.

Randy Ron. A side of him I never knew.

But, back to my point - which came first, Heinlein's ideas or Hubbard’s?

Mimsey

2. Thanks Commander Birdsong, Idle Morgue, Dean Blair, Lurker5 says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Idle Morgue, R6Basic liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Robert Heinlein, A Stranger in a Strange Land, and Ron Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Mimsey Borogrove View Post
    So. What the heck? I am wondering to what extent Heinlein influenced Hubbard or vice versa. See, I just listened to Heinlein's book a Stranger in a Strange Land book on audio book while driving, and many points in the book struck me as Scientology. The mental gains resulting in a healthy body, the ability to leave one’s body, the utopian group. My biggest criticism of Bob's work is it seems like a daydream to me. Especially his later books. And the free love bit, well, seemed unreal. But as the book progressed I began to appreciate him as a writer more and more. The further I went the more parallels between his fiction and my understanding of Scientology ( the version I hooked up with in the late sixties ) became apparent.

I began to wonder - who influenced whom?

Cut to: I read a bit about R.A. Heinlein on wikipedia, and discover, he was married 3 x, his 3rd wife was a muse of sorts, he knew Campbell, odds and ends about his life.

Segue!

So, now I am listening to L. Wright's wonderful book about Scientology on CD as I am driving home from work, And what do I hear? Hubbard had an affair with Heinlein's wife (which one, I don't know). And this is on the heels of his hooking up with Sara which made Parsons see red. Oh, sorry. Was Robert A. putting his free love theories to the test? Wright has Parsons getting pretty jealous. One wonders.

Randy Ron. A side of him I never knew.

But, back to my point - which came first, Heinlein's ideas or Hubbard’s?

Mimsey
    Interesting topic, thanks. There's some work on Hubbard, Heinlein, and his wife Leslyn in this OCMB thread.

4. Thanks Infinite, Commander Birdsong, mnql1, Lurker5 says "thank you" for this post
    Patron Meritorious

The "Stranger in a Strange Land" characters included the "fair witness" which may have influenced or been influenced by "obnosis" drills:

What color is that house? "White... on this side" as she dove into the pool.

Jack
    Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.

"You remember only about the brass ring
    You forget all about the golden rule"
    -Bob Dylan Gonna Change My Way of Thinking

Every thing secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity.
    Lord Acton

6. Thanks Commander Birdsong, Lurker5 says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Commander Birdsong, R6Basic liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron

LRH crops up in various places in Heinlein's works. You'll find odd references to a red haired guy and other oblique hints.

And also the slight hint of kinkiness to his sex preferences. Heinlein's I mean. These are all regular features.
    Standard tech is a subset of LRH tech. LRH tech is a subset of freezone tech. Freezone tech is a subset of all possible tech. - Pilot

I think that the future lies in understanding and developing the capabilities of the mind and spirit. I might sometimes loosely call this Scientology, but I don't mean the CofS. I mean anything which works in this direction, which would even include you if you ever achieve real wisdom. - Pilot

8. Thanks Commander Birdsong, Lurker5 says "thank you" for this post
    One of the spiral arms of the Milky Way galaxy, the Sol system, Planet Earth

Also, lead character decides he needs to start a religion to help the world become a better place.

I have read Stranger in a Strange Land at least twice so but do not know if I fully grok the book.
    And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. Jesus.

My life and Scn.
    http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=17442

10. Thanks Lori, Lurker5 says "thank you" for this post
    Likes White Rabbit, Commander Birdsong liked this post
    LOL! Good twin laughed at this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron Lurker5's Avatar

Wow, I read this long before knowing anything about scno/co$, in fact was still at home in school, jr-high? or high? school . . .? Can't exactly recall. When it first came out (paperback). My dad was big sci fi fan (me too). Loved it, though even at the time I had same thoughts as Mimsey. Now I am shocked to hear of these connections/similarities to lrh/scno/co$. Holy crap . . . But I am happy to say, I out-grew my crush on the Michael character in this book. Thank God, or I might have really fallen for scno (but not lrh, ick) . . . Yikes.

Edit: Looked it up, I was in jr high !
    Cautious as one crossing thin ice . . .
    (LaoTze-TaoDeJing, Chapter 15. 2nd verse . . . )

For Ray - I have not forgotten you, my friend
    Or you Scott, this is for you too. I hope you are out.
    Kay is out . . .

Patron Meritorious

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    LRH crops up in various places in Heinlein's works. You'll find odd references to a red haired guy and other oblique hints.

And also the slight hint of kinkiness to his sex preferences. Heinlein's I mean. These are all regular features.
    I found myself put off by Heinlein's seeming (unseemly) interest in incest in his "adult" books. Time Enough For Love, etc.
    The "juvenile" books were great, but the others were-twisted. I didn't like them. In some ways, a great author, in others, a damn pervert.

Jack
    Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.

"You remember only about the brass ring
    You forget all about the golden rule"
    -Bob Dylan Gonna Change My Way of Thinking

Every thing secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity.
    Lord Acton

13. Thanks Lurker5 says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Lone Star, R2-45 liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron Mimsey Borogrove's Avatar

The whole "thou art God" business strikes me as the 7th dynamic sort of a concept. It is amazing what you pick up on a second read - and what I like/hate about audio books is that you can't skip ahead - you get to hear every word, no matter how cringe worthy. Now I admit, this was written around 1960, but still, dear, the dialogue - aiiyiee. Oh wait. I take that back. I saw some of Two Broke Girls my wife was watching the other night. Yeowch!

Share the water,

Mimsey

15. Thanks Lurker5 says "thank you" for this post

today's scifi don't have the same soul
    just gimme that ole time grok and roll
    I didn't drink the KoolAid but I sure did drink the wine
    I wasn't on the spot but I sure did walk the line
    You know I saw her coming but I didn't hear her go
    'Cuz she said goodbye to me years before she said hello

http://cmdrbirdsong.org

http://churchofamericanscience.org/

17. Thanks GreyLensman, In present time says "thank you" for this post
    LOL! Dweeb, Good twin, Lone Star, guanoloco, Lori and 5 others laughed at this post
    Patron with Honors Don Crom 3rd mo can's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Birdsong View Post
    today's scifi don't have the same soul
    just gimme that ole time grok and roll

C- Ya DC
    A friend is not a fellow who's taken by a sham. A friend is one who knows' your faults, and dosen't give a damn. (unknown)

19. LOL! Moosejewels, Lone Star, Commander Birdsong laughed at this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast