Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friendly or Hostile Universe?

Default Friendly or Hostile Universe?

“The most important decision we make is whether we believe we live in a friendly or hostile universe.”
    Quote attributed to Einstein.

Just about every religion out there has gods and devils. Scientology and it's offshoots have implants etc

What do you think?
    "Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through". Jonathan Swift

“Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.” Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde

Silver Meritorious Patron BardoThodol's Avatar

Default Re: Friendly or Hostile Universe?

If both conditions exist, focusing on either as the single answer is insufficient. A universe can be both hostile and friendly. It doesn't have to be either or.

Reminds me of a story I love:

An old man is sitting beside the road on a hill overlooking a city. A man comes along and asks, "hey, Old Man, what's that city like?"

The old man asks, "I don't know, what was the city like you last came from?

The traveler replied, "It was horrible, all the people were nasty, I couldn't wait to leave."

The old man answered, "Unfortunately, you'll find this city much the same."

Later, another traveler came along and asked, "Sir, what is the city like below?"

To which the old man said, "I don't know, what was the city like you last came from?"

"It was a wonderful place, filled with laughter. I loved the people there."

The old man answered, "Fortunately, you will find this city much the same."

Maybe, the answer to whether this universe is friendly or hostile depends on the same thing.

3. Thanks Spirit, JBWriter says "thank you" for this post

The world is colored with so many shades of gray that you can look at it as mostly-black or mostly-white... and be mostly right. One's perception of how things are... is usually how one sees it. For example: if you think the traffic in City X is bad, it is; if you think it's okay, then it is.

How you see the world is how it is for you.

Remember the last time you bought a car? All of a sudden, that model of car is everywhere. Well the world didn't just go out and buy it at the same time as you did. No, it was there before, but you just notice it everywhere now.

5. Likes Lone Star liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Teanntás View Post
    “The most important decision we make is whether we believe we live in a friendly or hostile universe.”
    Quote attributed to Einstein.

Just about every religion out there has gods and devils. Scientology and it's offshoots have implants etc

What do you think?
    It just so happens that I've been listening to some lectures recently on Voltaire by Professor Alan C. Kors, Univ. of Penn.

Votaire's Candide basically addresses this subject. In it he was arguing against Philosophical Optimism and introducing his Humanistic Activism. It can't be described as merely whether we live in either a friendly or hostile universe or not, Voltaire's conclusion that is. But more of a can hostility or evil be explained away as being a part of a perfect creation of God or not.

Many of the religious say, "Well there's a reason and purpose for everything" and implying that we live in a perfect world despite catastrophes, war, injustices, disease, etc... Voltaire called this viewpoint fatalism. He would reply that, “That is well said, but we must cultivate our garden.” He would also add, "The cultivation of the human garden is the only antidote to the despair in which we would otherwise find ourselves if all we had was philosophy for consolation."

I tend to agree with Voltaire.

7. Likes JBWriter liked this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron

Since most of the universe is vacuum, in which even the fading glow of warmth from the Big Bang has chilled down almost to absolute zero, most of the universe would seem to be pretty inhospitable. Not actively hostile, but whatever it's there for, if anything, it's not there for us.

On the other hand, somehow in all that cold void there are little specks of solid ground, with warmth and air. Somehow we got one, or it got us. I don't know if that really counts as friendly, but it seems to me that it could easily be a lot worse.

9. Likes TG1 liked this post

The universe is neither hostile nor friendly. It just is.

Your understanding of how it works will reduce the probability of it biting you.
    “The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
    ― Ayn Rand,

Spokeshole, fence sitter Claire Swazey's Avatar

I wonder if it is the basis of the yin and yang theory. This is something I would like to understand better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    It just so happens that I've been listening to some lectures recently on Voltaire by Professor Alan C. Kors, Univ. of Penn.

Votaire's Candide basically addresses this subject. In it he was arguing against Philosophical Optimism and introducing his Humanistic Activism. It can't be described as merely whether we live in either a friendly or hostile universe or not, Voltaire's conclusion that is. But more of a can hostility or evil be explained away as being a part of a perfect creation of God or not.

Many of the religious say, "Well there's a reason and purpose for everything" and implying that we live in a perfect world despite catastrophes, war, injustices, disease, etc... Voltaire called this viewpoint fatalism. He would reply that, “That is well said, but we must cultivate our garden.” He would also add, "The cultivation of the human garden is the only antidote to the despair in which we would otherwise find ourselves if all we had was philosophy for consolation."

I tend to agree with Voltaire.
    I love those lectures.

I guess you can see where The Anabaptist Jacques came from.

Dr. Pangloss let me drown.

If anyone hasn't read Candide (which was the most read book during the Enlightenment) it is a great book that prompts all the right questions.

The Anabaptist Jacques

13. Thanks Lone Star says "thank you" for this post
    Likes TG1 liked this post

The universe is friendly.

Except for Philadelphia.

You might wish to avoid there.

(Actually Philadelphia is the place to be in June. The Stones are playing there.)

The Anabaptist Jacques

15. LOL! Commander Birdsong, Lone Star laughed at this post

Quote Originally Posted by Enthetan View Post
    The universe is neither hostile nor friendly. It just is.

Your understanding of how it works will reduce the probability of it biting you.
    Exactly , the universe doesn't discriminate it will hand out a Darwin Award to anyone who looks hard enough to win one.
    Yes lurkers you are not alone, everyone thinks Scientology is creepy, it's not just you

http://www.mediacurves.com/Religion/...logy/Index.cfm

17. Likes programmer_guy liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast