Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friendly Greetings

Default Friendly Greetings

Hi, my name is Tamlin. I've been lurking here for a couple of years, despite never having been involved in Scientology.

I've registered now (despite feeling a bit awkward and out of place!) because I'm assisting in media coverage of one of the many lawsuits against the church. Trying to cover the story with fairness and sensitivity is a concern. I don't want to trash anyone's religious faith or philosophy, but I'm also very much aware that real suffering has been caused to members and ex-members alike.

I've only known one Scientologist in my life. When I was a kid, a school-friend's mother got involved with the church. She was a nice lady, she used to do what I now know are "touch assists" on the other moms of our class. Not too much later, though, she went off to work for the church. I don't think she ever came back. My friend was raised by his relatives, and I can still remember the pain on their faces when someone would ask about her. Despite the official denials in the press years later, there was never any doubt for me that disconnection was real.

This very limited (albeit sad) experience has been my only real-life exposure to Scientology. I realize that covering the subject with any depth and understanding requires much more. I hope it's okay if someone like me hangs around.

I strongly support freedom of religion. I do not in any way support abuse of human rights under cover of that religion.

Thanks for reading. It's nice to meet you all.

2. Thanks Bluebell, AngeloV, Lori, Commander Birdsong, Lurker5 and 16 others says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron Arthur Dent's Avatar

Default Re: Friendly Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlin View Post
    Hi, my name is Tamlin. I've been lurking here for a couple of years, despite never having been involved in Scientology.

I've registered now (despite feeling a bit awkward and out of place!) because I'm assisting in media coverage of one of the many lawsuits against the church. Trying to cover the story with fairness and sensitivity is a concern. I don't want to trash anyone's religious faith or philosophy, but I'm also very much aware that real suffering has been caused to members and ex-members alike.

I've only known one Scientologist in my life. When I was a kid, a school-friend's mother got involved with the church. She was a nice lady, she used to do what I now know are "touch assists" on the other moms of our class. Not too much later, though, she went off to work for the church. I don't think she ever came back. My friend was raised by his relatives, and I can still remember the pain on their faces when someone would ask about her. Despite the official denials in the press years later, there was never any doubt for me that disconnection was real.

This very limited (albeit sad) experience has been my only real-life exposure to Scientology. I realize that covering the subject with any depth and understanding requires much more. I hope it's okay if someone like me hangs around.

I strongly support freedom of religion. I do not in any way support abuse of human rights under cover of that religion.

Welcome Tamlin!
    Thanks for joining. As you've been lurking quite awhile, you've probably read a heck of a lot by now. Crazy stuff, huh?
    Arthur Dent.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=16696
    http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?24109

Lurkers, hate to disappoint, but it really is a cult. Sorry.

4. Thanks dchoiceisalwaysrs says "thank you" for this post

Well, as Australian senator Nick Xenophon famously said, "In Australia there are not limits on what you can believe but there are limits on how you can behave. It's called the law, and no one is above it."

If your beliefs translate into behaviour that is against the law - or should be - if it hurts people - then sorry. Get with the 21st century. There have to be limits that people can't hide behind to ruin the lives of others.
    "Of course, now the worst kind of a trap of all, of course, i...is...is a...a beautiful woman. Uh...- that's a theta trap we all know. That this...that this is the worst type, the most deadly, but uh...again that's just a trap."

PDC-9: Anatomy of Processing - Energy Phenomena/Sensation
    L. Ron Hubbard

"Jesus Christ was liberal and lefty." ~ La La Lou Lou

6. Thanks Churchill, aegerprimo, JustMe says "thank you" for this post

Tamlin. Many, many stories are here about people's experiences with $cientology, which isn't a religion. Happy posting!

8. Likes AnonyMary, JustMe liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
    Welcome Tamlin!
    Thanks for joining. As you've been lurking quite awhile, you've probably read a heck of a lot by now. Crazy stuff, huh?
    Hi Arthur Dent (nice name, btw)

Yeah, I've had more than a few nights of frenzied reading when I should have been sleeping.
    It turned out for the best, really. When a big story appeared in our midst, I actually knew a bit about the subject. I feel a little sorry for anyone taking it on from scratch. No one on this board has to be told just how incredibly complicated is!

I've always had a very strong interest in religion, philosophy, self-improvement etc, which draws me to such subjects anyway (whether I agree with them or not) but Scientology is certainly...different? Unusual? Very hard to find the right word to describe it!

BTW, this board has the most amazing assortment of emoticons, it's gonna take a while to memorize them all!

10. Thanks AnonyMary says "thank you" for this post
    LOL! aegerprimo, JustMe, programmer_guy, Free Being Me laughed at this post

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rain View Post
    Well, as Australian senator Nick Xenophon famously said, "In Australia there are not limits on what you can believe but there are limits on how you can behave. It's called the law, and no one is above it."

If your beliefs translate into behaviour that is against the law - or should be - if it hurts people - then sorry. Get with the 21st century. There have to be limits that people can't hide behind to ruin the lives of others.
    Yep, yep, I absolutely agree with that sentiment.
    Last edited by Tamlin; 14th September 2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBeing View Post
    Tamlin. Many, many stories are here about people's experiences with $cientology, which isn't a religion. Happy posting!
    Hey, thanks for the welcome.

13. Thanks Free Being Me says "thank you" for this post
    Likes AnonyMary, JustMe liked this post

Hiya Tamlin and another

I are a tad curious as to why you waited so long to come say hello?

Regardless, I wish you the very best of visits and congeniality

'Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.'
    Marcus Aurelius

THE BIG LIST of EX'S who have Spoken Out fx'd

15. Likes JustMe, Free Being Me liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ogsonofgroo View Post
    Hiya Tamlin and another

I are a tad curious as to why you waited so long to come say hello?

Regardless, I wish you the very best of visits and congeniality

Hi, Thanks for the welcome.

Well, I waited so long for a couple of reasons, really. As I've never been in the church, I didn't want to tromp in where I didn't belong. It just didn't seem right. I'm also very shy. Many ex-Scientologists seem very forthright - possibly from doing the training routines - but never having had that, I'm easily intimidated!

In addition to what's mentioned in my intro, another reason I've registered is I've now had some contact with a few exes due to the Rathbun suit, and they all seemed so darned nice that I wasn't too afraid anymore.

It might seem strange to lurk about so long when I've never been "inside", but I guess the only answer is that I care about people inside totalistic systems and admire those who can come out and continue to help others.

17. Thanks aegerprimo, AnonyMary, JustMe, Free Being Me, Ogsonofgroo and 1 others says "thank you" for this post

Tamlin,

I don't think it's odd at all your interest in Scientology. The lessons and the dangers of that cult are so universal and translatable to an array of ideologies. I didn't realize just how universal for a very long time.

Thanks for the reflection of that perspective you have already offered here.

And welcome to our strange band.

TG1
    And dear God, I pray that COB and other cult predators are profoundly humiliated in a way we can all laugh at and give each other high-fives about—after which someone takes us all out for lots of ice cream and then we all go home and get to stay up really late and watch cartoons.

19. LOL! Bluebell laughed at this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast