Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friendly Greetings

Gold Meritorious Patron GreyWolf's Avatar

Default Re: Friendly Greetings

Welcome. I hope you learn what you need here.

2. Likes TG1, AnonyMary, JustMe, Free Being Me liked this post
    Banned

Yes Tamlin, the training routines and other training make you kind of forthright. If not extremely pushy. That is how graduates of Warner Erharts squirrel group "EST" got the nickname "est holes". I fondly remember when I was shy, and especially, when I was inocent.

I try to channel my forthrightness into a pioneering or adventurous attitude rather than pusshyness and meanness, but I often screw that up.

4. Thanks In present time says "thank you" for this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron Udarnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlin View Post
    <snip>I've always had a very strong interest in religion, philosophy, self-improvement etc, which draws me to such subjects anyway (whether I agree with them or not) but Scientology is certainly...different? Unusual? Very hard to find the right word to describe it! <snip>
    Welcome, fellow never-in.

And the phrase you are searching for is .... "fucked up".
    Imagine, if you will, a load of horseshit. And we’re not talking just your average load of horseshit; no, we’re talking colossal load of horseshit. An epic load of horseshit. The kind of load of horseshit that has accreted over decades and has developed its own sort of ecosystem, from the flyblown chunks at the perimeter, down into the heated and decomposing center, generating explosive levels of methane as bacteria feast merrily on vintage, liquified crap... -- John Scalzi

6. Thanks Free Being Me says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Free Being Me liked this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome Tamlin.

Nice to have your care and compassion added to this wonderful board.

As regards disconnection I want to comment that perhaps (I don't have enough of the particulars) the mother more or less abandoned the your childhood friend as the mother chased either the 'Road to total freedom bridge, or the "Clear the planet' goals rather than 'disconnecting' for the purpose of shielding herself from harmful distraction ( as in the motivation of disconnection).

I do see a difference as I was involved in both and there is a net same result of destroyed or greatly harmed relationships.

Your presence and participation here is very welcomed even though you are from an 'unknowing uneducated non-scientological ' (the died in the wool scientologist commonly held opinion installed by the writings and lectures of Elwrong), background.

I am touched by your respect and concern. Thanks

8. Thanks Free Being Me says "thank you" for this post
    Gold Meritorious Patron Lurker5's Avatar

Tamlin
    Cautious as one crossing thin ice . . .
    (LaoTze-TaoDeJing, Chapter 15. 2nd verse . . . )

For Ray - I have not forgotten you, my friend
    Or you Scott, this is for you too. I hope you are out.
    Kay is out . . .

10. Likes Free Being Me liked this post

Hi, Thanks for the welcome.

Well, I waited so long for a couple of reasons, really. As I've never been in the church, I didn't want to tromp in where I didn't belong. It just didn't seem right. I'm also very shy. Many ex-Scientologists seem very forthright - possibly from doing the training routines - but never having had that, I'm easily intimidated!

In addition to what's mentioned in my intro, another reason I've registered is I've now had some contact with a few exes due to the Rathbun suit, and they all seemed so darned nice that I wasn't too afraid anymore.

It might seem strange to lurk about so long when I've never been "inside", but I guess the only answer is that I care about people inside totalistic systems and admire those who can come out and continue to help others.
    I feel you, Tam. After I lurked here and at Steve and Marty's sites for a really long time, I felt funny joining too. I'm **not** a never-in, but I blew very quickly. After Book 1 introductory auditing and the comm course. Sometimes, I feel like I have survivor guilt for getting off so much easier than most of ESMB.
    The main key to free a person from this cult is compassion. This is true of all cults, but it is especially true of Scientology, where, in the upper echelons, there isn't even any pretense of compassion. Showing compassion just might be the key to breaking through the person's cult identity and reaching the real person.

***Monica Pignotti - My Nine Lives in Scientology***
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/pignotti/

12. LOL! aegerprimo, This is NOT OK !!!! laughed at this post

Quote Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
    Tamlin,

I don't think it's odd at all your interest in Scientology. The lessons and the dangers of that cult are so universal and translatable to an array of ideologies. I didn't realize just how universal for a very long time.

Thanks for the reflection of that perspective you have already offered here.

And welcome to our strange band.

TG1
    Hi, TG1 *waves*

Yes, I agree, many aspects here are universal and translatable. Even a brief look at many of Hubbard's sources show concepts that have been around since time immemorial. Then again, there's the "space opera" element that makes the average outsider go and gets most of the media attention. That and the unique processes like auditing are harder to reconcile with the rest. Trying to put them together is a bit dizzying, at least to someone like me! Perhaps the ideas mesh a bit better when someone has been through the actual processes...but that's the kind of thing I'm hoping to learn more about here.

Thanks for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyWolf View Post
    Welcome. I hope you learn what you need here.
    Hi GreyWolf, nice to meet you.

I just want to say I've seen the work you've done on various religious sects and really appreciate your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Yes Tamlin, the training routines and other training make you kind of forthright. If not extremely pushy. That is how graduates of Warner Erharts squirrel group "EST" got the nickname "est holes". I fondly remember when I was shy, and especially, when I was inocent.

I try to channel my forthrightness into a pioneering or adventurous attitude rather than pusshyness and meanness, but I often screw that up.
    Haha, yeah, I've heard about the EST nickname.
    Because of the shyness, I've sometimes wished I had something like those training routines. I doubt Scientology could have even got me through the door, though - I'm pretty sure I'm too mousy to even raise my voice at an ashtray!

Your point about innocence is well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Udarnik View Post
    Welcome, fellow never-in.

And the phrase you are searching for is .... "fucked up".
    haha. Well, as a Buddhist in Texas (where people often confuse "Buddhism" with "Satanism"), I've come to be more diplomatic about these things.

Quote Originally Posted by dchoiceisalwaysrs View Post
    Welcome Tamlin.

Nice to have your care and compassion added to this wonderful board.

As regards disconnection I want to comment that perhaps (I don't have enough of the particulars) the mother more or less abandoned the your childhood friend as the mother chased either the 'Road to total freedom bridge, or the "Clear the planet' goals rather than 'disconnecting' for the purpose of shielding herself from harmful distraction ( as in the motivation of disconnection).

I do see a difference as I was involved in both and there is a net same result of destroyed or greatly harmed relationships.

Your presence and participation here is very welcomed even though you are from an 'unknowing uneducated non-scientological ' (the died in the wool scientologist commonly held opinion installed by the writings and lectures of Elwrong), background.

I am touched by your respect and concern. Thanks
    Hey, thanks.

My friend's mother, I believe, was eventually a case of disconnection. Not at first, but later on.
    It was a long time ago now, but I do recall that she had gone off to Florida. Perhaps she joined Sea Org? Whatever her goal, they probably wouldn't have allowed her to continue if she had family who were in disagreement with church, no?

One of the things that especially interests me is how the goals you mention develop such an overriding importance so quickly. There are very few things that inspire people to leave their previous life behind that way. Heck, I have a hard enough time trying to change a bad habit, let alone changing the focus of my life. It's rather mysterious to me.

14. Likes Alle G, Free Being Me liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker5 View Post
    Tamlin
    Hi lurker5, Thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by NoName View Post
    I feel you, Tam. After I lurked here and at Steve and Marty's sites for a really long time, I felt funny joining too. I'm **not** a never-in, but I blew very quickly. After Book 1 introductory auditing and the comm course. Sometimes, I feel like I have survivor guilt for getting off so much easier than most of ESMB.
    Hi NoName
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. If I may ask, why did you leave so quickly? I get curious as to why some jump in with both feet and never look back, and others reject it or drift away. I've got my theories about it, but it's far better to hear from those who have been there.

I lurked around Marty's blog, too. For a never-in, that was way above my head, so I didn't even try to communicate. But it's funny...I found Marty's blog before anything else, because we weren't living too far away at the time (not in the same town, but the same general area) I told the local paper then, there's this unusual story here, why not do something on it? They said no, there's no interest (they weren't exactly a shining example of journalism, btw.) A few years later, we move inland, and the next thing we know, the Rathbuns are here too...and now we're covering Monique's court case. :O How weird is that? But it seems a little like destiny to get a second chance, because this story might be a very important one in the history of the church.

16. Likes Free Being Me, aegerprimo liked this post

Welcome, enjoy

for starters

http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/vanderkolk/

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world."

-Dalai Lama

18. Likes Free Being Me liked this post
    Patron with Honors

Hi, my name is Tamlin. I've been lurking here for a couple of years, despite never having been involved in Scientology.

I've registered now (despite feeling a bit awkward and out of place!) because I'm assisting in media coverage of one of the many lawsuits against the church. Trying to cover the story with fairness and sensitivity is a concern. I don't want to trash anyone's religious faith or philosophy, but I'm also very much aware that real suffering has been caused to members and ex-members alike.

I've only known one Scientologist in my life. When I was a kid, a school-friend's mother got involved with the church. She was a nice lady, she used to do what I now know are "touch assists" on the other moms of our class. Not too much later, though, she went off to work for the church. I don't think she ever came back. My friend was raised by his relatives, and I can still remember the pain on their faces when someone would ask about her. Despite the official denials in the press years later, there was never any doubt for me that disconnection was real.

This very limited (albeit sad) experience has been my only real-life exposure to Scientology. I realize that covering the subject with any depth and understanding requires much more. I hope it's okay if someone like me hangs around.

I strongly support freedom of religion. I do not in any way support abuse of human rights under cover of that religion.

Thanks for reading. It's nice to meet you all.
    Welcome. Thanks and good luck on the coverage of the trial. With regards to Freedom of Religion I do agree with your sentiments. However CO$ is not a religion but a fraudulent business set up with multiple shells (to protect DM) masquerading as a religion. Witness the fiction of the separate entities of the CSI, RTC and OSA as a most immediate and, with your coverage of the trial, the most pertinent example.

Glad to see you here. One has to wonder at the complete madness of this all.
    "Life is the cruelest teacher; first she gives the test, then teaches the lesson." Leonard Bernstein

20. Likes Free Being Me, aegerprimo liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast