Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise video ban bid failure!

Thumbs up Cruise video ban bid failure!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle697582.ece

Cruise video ban bid

By PETE BELL

Published: Today

DESPERATE attempts by the Church of Scientology to ban the showing of a video of Tom Cruise raving about his faith have come to nothing.

Scientologists tried - and failed - to use copyright law to force video-sharing site YouTube to remove the material.

The video has now appeared on a variety of websites - including the Sun's.

For British-based news websites, use of the video is protected as fair dealing under copyright laws for reporting news and current affairs.

But the video was also available on YouTube today, despite reports that it had been taken down.

Mark Stephens, a media lawyer at London law firm Finers Stephens Innocent, said: "It really is futile to try and remove the Tom Cruise copyright infringement from the internet.

"The Scientologists, by taking action to enforce their copyrights, have made it a news story. The mistake was not to foresee that a news story has special protection in copyright law in reporting news and current events.

"Consequently, every news organisation on the planet has put the controversial video on their website - a real case of making a disaster out of a crisis."

The affair left Cruise, and the Church of Scientology, deeply embarrassed. One US-based website described the footage as a Scientology indoctrination video, and comments on others describe the star as a "freak".

During the video, which lasts about nine minutes, Cruise, speaking as the Mission Impossible theme plays in the background, says that he and fellow Scientologists are "the authorities of the mind", who are able to "rehabilitate criminals" and "bring peace and unite cultures".

He also says: "Being a scientologist, you look at someone, and you know absolutely that you can help them."

The case follows an incident in which the Church of Scientology responded to an investigation by the BBC Panorama programme by filming journalist John Sweeney when he lost his temper and screamed with rage - and putting the footage on YouTube.
    The truth is what it is - not what you want it to be.

http://knowledgism.com/alan/default.asp

Squirrel Extraordinaire Dulloldfart's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    "The Scientologists, by taking action to enforce their copyrights, have made it a news story. The mistake was not to foresee that a news story has special protection in copyright law in reporting news and current events.

"Consequently, every news organisation on the planet has put the controversial video on their website - a real case of making a disaster out of a crisis."
    Oh! What a surprise!

Paul

Gold Meritorious Patron lionheart's Avatar

Yesterday's Daily Mirror ran the item and even used the terms SP and KSW in its story!

"And he littered his lecture with abbreviations such as SP (Suppressive Person) and KSW (Keeping Scientology Working)"

Could this be the first time KSW has appeared in newsprint?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/late...9520-20287230/
    "There is a Reality which is Indivisible, One, Alone, the Source and Being of all; not a thing, nor even a mind, but pure Spirit or clear Consciousness; and we are That and nothing but That, for That is our true Nature; and the only way to find It is to look steadily within, where are to be found utmost peace, unfading joy, and eternal life itself." (Douglas Harding)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    Yesterday's Daily Mirror ran the item and even used the terms SP and KSW in its story!

"And he littered his lecture with abbreviations such as SP (Suppressive Person) and KSW (Keeping Scientology Working)"

Could this be the first time KSW has appeared in newsprint?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/late...9520-20287230/
    Where does this "we are all descended from alien spirits called Thetans" come from? I've seen it in several news stories over the past few months.

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dulloldfart View Post
    Where does this "we are all descended from alien spirits called Thetans" come from? I've seen it in several news stories over the past few months.

Paul
    It's true, isn't it?

I don't know about yours, but my thetan was certainly an alien.

Where does this "descended from alien spirits called Thetans" come from? I've seen it in several news stories over the past few months.

Paul
    It's corrupted OTIII. One paper totally misduplicates OTIII, then another just takes the story from the first and before you know it "all Scns believe we are descended from a race of space aliens called Thetans" as if they were from the Planet Theta.
    The "Church" of Scientology - miserably failing to save a world that doesn't need or want to be saved

Quote Originally Posted by Alanzo View Post
    It's true, isn't it?

I don't know about yours, but my thetan was certainly an alien.
    I don't know - mine stopped speaking to me years ago.
    The "Church" of Scientology - miserably failing to save a world that doesn't need or want to be saved

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Was it mistake?

It's a Hollywood trick to create scandal and controversy and get media coverage before a new movie gets out.

I remember every time the TV made a show against Scientology there were new guys - bright intelligent people - coming into the org buying books taking services saying they found it interesting.

And now Scn gets a planet wide coverage. Div 6 stat will shortly soar.

Paul
    It's a mis-dup of the III materials...

I think Southpark used it as a line as well...
    "Deception is the ethics of war." - John Singleton Mosby

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierrot View Post
    Was it mistake?

It's a Hollywood trick to create scandal and controversy and get media coverage before a new movie gets out.
    Yeah, but the "movie" just released is a book that doesn't exactly paint a wonderful picture of DM and life at Int. Plus they don't get a cut of the book profits.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast