Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 7879808182838485868788

Thread: Ask Kate your questions here...

Default Re: Ask Kate your questions here...

Quote Originally Posted by kate8024 View Post
    I've never programmed in cobol, personally, that was always weird old stuff in the same bin as fortran and ada for me. The vast majority of the code I've written has been in C++ but I've done at least some in pretty much all of the modern languages except ruby and the new functional programming languages like scheme.
    Cobol itself can be pretty much considered an outdated fossil nowadays, but guess what? Learning ABAP/IV was a piece of cake too, because of my previously earned knowledge of Cobol and SQL. (Advanced SQL was a real PITA, let me tell you that. )

The good thing in my IT education: My teachers never taught me "just the language". They said: '"Here's an ASCII/SQL/whatever database with 20,000 entries. Now, with what you've learned yesterday, get the 3 records out of that database which meet all of the 10 conditions given in your exercise and present them as nicely as you can.

C++, Ruby, Perl, Python, whatever, they're all the same to me. Once you've learned "programming" properly, it really doesn't matter which language you work with.
    The best things in life are free.
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull. (W. C. Fields)
    If Scientology is a Triumph of the Will... then ESMB is a Triumph of the Won't. (HelluvaHoax)
    The most effective 'Tech' is 'Let Scientology Be Scientology (in front of witnesses)' (Zinjifar)
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. (Unknown)

Disclaimer: I've never been in Scientology or in any other cult; I'm just a critic.

2. Likes DagwoodGum, Cat's Squirrel, MissWog liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
    Cobol itself can be pretty much considered an outdated fossil nowadays, but guess what? Learning ABAP/IV was a piece of cake too, because of my previously earned knowledge of Cobol and SQL. (Advanced SQL was a real PITA, let me tell you that. )

The good thing in my IT education: My teachers never taught me "just the language". They said: '"Here's an ASCII/SQL/whatever database with 20,000 entries. Now, with what you've learned yesterday, get the 3 records out of that database which meet all of the 10 conditions given in your exercise and present them as nicely as you can.

C++, Ruby, Perl, Python, whatever, they're all the same to me. Once you've learned "programming" properly, it really doesn't matter which language you work with.
    Argh I hate SQL lol it serves a useful purpose, of course, but still it drives me crazy. I'm a big fan of PostgreSQL though; my first experience with SQL was with MySQL then I learned Postgres and was like "where have you been all my life?"

It's very true about learning one language means it doesn't matter what language you work with. As almost all modern languages borrow heavily from C it's pretty easy to switch between them once you know the basic concepts and even for the different ones once you have learned to think in terms in classes, functions, inheritance, multithreading, etc. then its mostly learning the language specific grammar, for which one of those slim O'Reilly reference books is usually sufficient.

Now functional programming is, of course, somewhat different. We are starting to get a lot of function language concepts now in C++ since C++11 and they require a completely different way of thinking about things.
    -deleted-

Goodby Goodluck

Argh I hate SQL lol it serves a useful purpose, of course, but still it drives me crazy. I'm a big fan of PostgreSQL though; my first experience with SQL was with MySQL then I learned Postgres and was like "where have you been all my life?"

It's very true about learning one language means it doesn't matter what language you work with. As almost all modern languages borrow heavily from C it's pretty easy to switch between them once you know the basic concepts and even for the different ones once you have learned to think in terms in classes, functions, inheritance, multithreading, etc. then its mostly learning the language specific grammar, for which one of those slim O'Reilly reference books is usually sufficient.

Now functional programming is, of course, somewhat different. We are starting to get a lot of function language concepts now in C++ since C++11 and they require a completely different way of thinking about things.
    See a couple of highly intelligent people finding out they have something in common, real cool! We had SQL servers but they weren't even on site so thank god it wasn't my job nor department to even to have anything to do with them. We had our ITG dept. right next to my dept. so I'd generate a work order and they would take care of all that. They were a French company subcontracted and they were pretty good.
    Crack cocaine and booze are gateway drugs to Scientology

5. Thanks kate8024 says "thank you" for this post

MySQL is still a very limited SQL-dialect. If you want to get to the real stuff, goto Informix or Oracle etc. PostgreSQL can be found on almost any LINUX-distribution, but I never did more than a few light tune-ups with it.

Well, I'm an old-school LINUX user,
    Code:
    "<topic of my choice> --h"
    is all I need.

I'm currently a bit out of the loop as far as newer developments like C++11 go - in fact I have no clue what it is - but, because I have decades of learning basics under my belt, I have a justified certainty that it wouldn't take me more than a week to get the hang of it.

EDIT:
    At school, I hated SQL with a passion because it was a real brain-melter but at work, my SQL-knowledge made me instant-king. I really learned to love that language.
    Last edited by MrNobody; 10th March 2014 at 12:01 AM.
    The best things in life are free.
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull. (W. C. Fields)
    If Scientology is a Triumph of the Will... then ESMB is a Triumph of the Won't. (HelluvaHoax)
    The most effective 'Tech' is 'Let Scientology Be Scientology (in front of witnesses)' (Zinjifar)
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. (Unknown)

Disclaimer: I've never been in Scientology or in any other cult; I'm just a critic.

7. Thanks kate8024 says "thank you" for this post
    Likes kate8024 liked this post

Well, I'm an old-school LINUX user,
    Code:
    "<topic of my choice> --h"
    is all I need.
    Well that's not usually going to give you programming language grammar, you will probably need to go at least to man pages for that :-) I've been using Linux since Slackware 1.0 ah the fond memories of downloading sets of floppy images overnight! It's amazing how far its come. Most of my development work is on Linux though occasionally I get stuck having to use Windows or Mac. People would probably be surprised just how much of the serious application business world runs on Linux.

I'm currently a bit out of the loop as far as newer developments like C++11 go - in fact I have no clue what it is - but, because I have decades of learning basics under my belt, I have a justified certainty that it wouldn't take me more than a week to get the hang of it.
    C++11 is the latest standard and it took way too long to get standardised. A lot of the improvements are most relevant for template metaprogramming. The biggest thing though is now they are going to have target dates for new standards, so C++14 and C++17 are on the horizon. gcc supports most of the C++11 improvements (some have even been there for a long time) but of course Microsoft is lagging behind in Visual Studio.
    -deleted-

Goodby Goodluck

Kate, I hate to ask but did you get declared for coming over here and talking COS "reform" and cavorting with the enemy rather than delivering an effective blow? You must have known they'd read your posts here and we all told you that reform just ain't happening as it would cost them control and $$$...
    Crack cocaine and booze are gateway drugs to Scientology

Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 7879808182838485868788