Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: LA Sheriff Lee Baca

Gold Meritorious Sponsor HelluvaHoax!'s Avatar

Default Re: LA Sheriff Lee Baca

Quote Originally Posted by tesseract View Post
    Does that mean the whole lawsuit cannot be repeated at all (like when, for example, firing your attorneys "without reason" at a certain point ... ) and sleazebaca stays free due to what might be called a procedural defect or a technicality, or does this mean the lawsuit can or will be filed again?
    It's at the discretion of the federal prosecutors whether to refile and prosecute the case again (new trial).

From the link to that article (post above this):

Federal prosecutors now have to decide if they want to seek to retry the case. A status conference is set for Jan. 10.

With one lone holdout, my guess is that they will go for a new trial.

Wonder if someone "got to" that juror, like often happens in cases vs. criminal enterprises (mafia, etc). That's how Mafia chieftain John Gotti walked away from several major federal criminal prosecutions.

Scientology literally saved my life! Without Ron's books I would have frozen to death!!! (see avatar)

Scientology in one word? HelluvaHoax!

I never felt as free as when I freed myself from "Total Freedom".

For offended Scientologists reading this blasphemy about L. Ron Hubbard---my apologies for talking about real life without lying to you, like Scientology, with goo-goo theta-talk. I know you don't have a floating needle right now. You're not supposed to.

2. Thanks tesseract says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron Little David's Avatar

Unfortunately 11 jurors voted to acquit, from the LA Times in my previous post:

"Jurors, who began deliberating late Monday, were split
    11 to 1 in favor of an acquittal."
    The lure of the pseudoscientific vocabulary and promises of dianetics cannot but condemn thousands who are beginning to emerge from scientific illiteracy to a continuation of their susceptibility to word-magic and semantic hash.

S.I. HAYAKAWA 1951

4. Thanks tesseract, Enthetan says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron Little David's Avatar

BREAKING NEWS ALERT
    January 10, 2017
    Former L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca to face retrial in obstruction of justice case
    Federal prosecutors announced today that they will retry former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca following a recent mistrial in which a jury nearly cleared Baca of obstructing an FBI investigation into the county’s jails.
    Read more>>

The lure of the pseudoscientific vocabulary and promises of dianetics cannot but condemn thousands who are beginning to emerge from scientific illiteracy to a continuation of their susceptibility to word-magic and semantic hash.

S.I. HAYAKAWA 1951

6. Thanks Type4_PTS, JBWriter, Jump says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Type4_PTS, Freeminds, JBWriter, Jump liked this post
    Maximus Ultimus Mostimus Dave B.'s Avatar

In a related story:

Former No. 2 in L.A. Sheriff's office surrenders to prison to serve 5-year sentence

Former Los Angeles County Undersheriff Paul Tanaka surrendered Monday to federal authorities in Colorado to begin serving a five-year prison sentence for conspiracy and obstructing an FBI investigation into deputy jail abuses.Tanaka, who as the second-in-command ran day-to-day operations of the largest sheriff’s department in the nation, began serving his term at a minimum-security camp in Englewood, Colo., said his lawyer, H. Dean Steward.
    “Paul is a very stoic guy, and he continues in that vein throughout all of this,” Steward said.
    Last edited by Dave B.; 17th January 2017 at 07:32 AM.
    "You should not get the subject of individual improvement and religious experience confused with the social activity of large groups grinding up against each other. It is not worth your time. The groups come and go. The individuals don't. There have been many groups and civilizations, and there will be many more of them, but a decent individual is a relatively permanent thing." - Geoffrey C. Filbert 1982

8. Thanks Type4_PTS says "thank you" for this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345