Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mimi Faust called “tar baby," “jigaboo,” and a “freeloader” by Scientology members

Default Re: Mimi Faust called “tar baby," “jigaboo,” and a “freeloader” by Scientology member

Quote Originally Posted by olska View Post
    She was part of some loosely-run class by some guy who taught the kids enough to qualify for their GED -- not a SO school or Mace Kingsley. I don't recall his name, might have been Larry something... I didn't actually know him, only know this because that's how the friend I knew (one of her teenage peers) who sometimes took her in was "educated." She was born in 1970 (this info comes up in a google search) so would have been 13 in 1983. It was sometime after that -- maybe 2,3 years -- when I met her (very briefly) and then later heard, from her friend, the whole saga. Didn't know what had become of her until now. She has a website and is obviously working at being a "public personality" so maybe she will reveal more of her history as time goes on.

She was one of a bunch of kids her age, with scientologist parents my age, who were pretty much abandoned and left to run wild and make their own way in L.A. from an early age. This behavior (of the PARENTS) was sanctioned by other scientologists -- not just CoS management, but by other PUBLIC scientologists as well -- and when the kids couldn't "make it go right" to become model citizens perfect angel dedicated scientologists, blame fell on the children, not the parents.

That's why I really don't buy the "Oh, I didn't KNOW what was going on...." excuse from back in that day, and it still makes me angry.

So glad to see you, Bea, doing so well in life; and now to see this young woman making her way so boldly. Proof that there is, indeed, life after scientology!

Edit: OK, just saw the article by Tony O. -- new to me. It says Mace Kingsley school, so that's probably right... the friend I knew went to that other class I mentioned above.
    Larry Dennison. I went to Mace-Kingsley which was right down the street from Larry's. He had a GED program in addition to his paid schooling program. A lot of kids who were under 18 who wanted to join the Sea Org and skip school altogether would go to Larry's for a day to get his GED cert. If you failed any of the questions on his GED test, he would give you a Cram, and then give you a pass.

2. Thanks Enthetan, ForLease, olska says "thank you" for this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron Boojuum's Avatar

Default Re: Mimi Faust called “tar baby," “jigaboo,” and a “freeloader” by Scientology member

Quote Originally Posted by olska View Post
    snip...In my opinion, even many of the PUBLIC scientology parents I knew had some very irresponsible and destructive attitudes about how to care for and educate their children (based on scientology tech and concepts such as ethics conditions, getting "auditing" for children who didn't behave as they wished rather than just having a good sit-down conversation with them, etc.), and the children suffered unnecessarily because of it -- though not to the degree as those with SO parents.

...snip
    AMEN!!! The work schedule of any Scieno staff member pushes family matters to the curb. But it's the culture of Scientology that tolerates the gross neglect. Everything for the cause, including the future sanity of your kids. As a typical parent holding down a 40 hour a week job, you've got your hands full simply trying to keep your family fed, clothed and schooled. Add a Scieno post to that and the kids will rarely see mom or dad and you can forget about Little League, soccer, scouting, camping and picnics. Let's throw in a massive credit card debt and working multiple low paying jobs with one parent holding a senior position at the org.

Junior gets royally shafted while LRH thinks it's great to have your kid holding his ashtray.

It's gross.

4. Thanks WildKat, Type4_PTS, Enthetan, anonomog, ForLease and 1 others says "thank you" for this post
    Likes eldritch cuckoo liked this post
    Silver Meritorious Patron

Quote Originally Posted by bts2free View Post
    Larry Dennison. I went to Mace-Kingsley which was right down the street from Larry's. He had a GED program in addition to his paid schooling program. A lot of kids who were under 18 who wanted to join the Sea Org and skip school altogether would go to Larry's for a day to get his GED cert. If you failed any of the questions on his GED test, he would give you a Cram, and then give you a pass.
    Yes, Larry Dennison, that sounds like the person/place I was thinking of. The kids I knew who went there weren't Sea Org, they just wanted to get the GED certificate as fast as possible without having to enroll in REAL school, public or private. To their credit, I will say the kids I knew wanted to get jobs and be independent, they were seeking self-reliance and were willing to work for it -- since they were "scientologists," (even though in name only, they thought the whole thing was a crock and their parents were wacky) they generally worked for scientology-owned companies (for example Survival Insurance and Shaw Health Center are two I remember specifically) that employed young people from cult community.

Learning job skills, self-reliance, responsibility, and independence at an early age is an excellent thing for, in my opinion, MOST young people. I grew up in rural America where this was the "expected" route for children and teens: help out with the family farm or other business, get part-time jobs and earn and learn how to manage money at an early age... become independent early, continue schooling if you need it but don't waste your parents' (or your own) resources as a perpetual student party animal living out a long-delayed adolescence. This has been discussed on this forum in the past, and I'm one of those for encouraging children to grow up and take their lives in hand; and I'm always happy to see them do it.

BUT the parents should be there to fall back on, with love and guidance, direction, support, encouragement, example, a bit of sympathy when needed, an occasional (figurative) boot to the rear if needed, etc. etc. etc. Blithely abandoning your child to the streets, as was done to Mimi and some others by their scientologist parents, and expecting them to "make it go right" without parental help is just not ok, even though some of those kids lived through it and eventually flourished.

Said my piece -- thanks to everyone here who has spoken out about this matter and especially to all those who've extended a hand to some of these kids when they needed it.

6. Thanks Enthetan, eldritch cuckoo says "thank you" for this post
    Likes Enthetan, eldritch cuckoo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Bea Kiddo View Post
    What a sad story. I have been trying to place her and do not remember her. I do know both her mother and the other female in the picture. I was trying to determine what years she would have been on the Sea Org base. Mace Kingsley moved to Silverlake sometime in the late 80's.
    She was born in January 1970 & offloaded in 1983 (age 13).

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    She was born in January 1970 & offloaded in 1983 (age 13).
    Thank you. I don't remember her but I was pretty young then. I would have been (and still am) two years younger than her, though back then the groups of kids were pretty mashed together.

But this shows it's not just David Miscavige's doing. This is pre-DM. DM was around, but he was not running things until after LRH passed.

9. Thanks moontaco, Type4_PTS, Enthetan, ForLease, AnonyMary says "thank you" for this post

It just occurred to me to ask...How was she able to attend a private school line Mace-Kingsley that required payment in order to attend? I have no doubt about her story but I am wondering if we all got the correct place she attended school for the years she was 14-18 unless it was a public school. I could see her being able to attend Mace-Kingsley to complete the year that she was kicked out in, if it was prepaid in advance. But how could she have continued there unless someone paid for it?

Any thoughts?
    ~ Mary McConnell, my nom de plume
    Internet Resources on Scientology for newcomers
    Narconon Reviews Get the facts about Narconon.
    Reaching For The Tipping Point A place to keep up on what is being done to expose Scn & it's front groups, like Narconon, CCHR etc to the general public. Lots of up-to-date info. Join us
    My Scribd Scn & Narconon Legal Dox
    Ex-Sea Org Helpline "...leaving the confines of Scientology is a process, not a single event."

Quote Originally Posted by AnonyMary View Post
    It just occurred to me to ask...How was she able to attend a private school line Mace-Kingsley that required payment in order to attend? I have no doubt about her story but I am wondering if we all got the correct place she attended school for the years she was 14-18 unless it was a public school. I could see her being able to attend Mace-Kingsley to complete the year that she was kicked out in, if it was prepaid in advance. But how could she have continued there unless someone paid for it?

Any thoughts?
    That was why I was wondering if she was with the ATA kids, which were in the same building and had the same curriculum. But that change was in late 80's.

In '83 most Sea Org kids were going to public schools. The ATA set up was off and on for years and never stayed as a constant thing. It was the school for all kids of Sea Org members on PAC Bases.

In 1982 Scn management was still at Flag, in Florida. It was sometime in 83 that it moved to LA again. I was pretty young and did not know what was where, but I do remember management moving to LA area in 83 or 84.

I am trying to piece together this timeline she is talking about too... for my own curiosity but I can't figure it out. I think for her to be at Mace Kingsley it would have had to have been pre-paid. Maybe she only finished that year. I wonder what she did for the next year?

12. Thanks AnonyMary says "thank you" for this post
    Likes AnonyMary liked this post
    Spokeshole, fence sitter Claire Swazey's Avatar

No one should choose their group- whether it's a cult (as in this case) or a church or anything else whatsoever over a child.

Ever.

14. Thanks WildKat, AnonyMary, Enthetan says "thank you" for this post
    Likes eldritch cuckoo liked this post

Part 2 is up.

16. Thanks WildKat, Type4_PTS, Enthetan says "thank you" for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Bea Kiddo View Post
    In '83 most Sea Org kids were going to public schools.
    I'm trying to wrap my mind around how a public school teacher would react to an unhappy SO kid breaking down and telling her about the Sea Org life, and crying that she never saw her parents any more and wanted to leave.
    “The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
    ― Ayn Rand,

18. Likes AnonyMary liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast